post #271 of 356 Old 03-21-2013, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonheart View Post

isn't contrast 100 too high?

Many people like to use 100 on contrast for various sets. The idea is to take advantage of the full contrast ability of the TV and it generally gives a brighter picture while preserving black level. However, on my 55LM4600, I find that it is too high and that it starts to obliterate lighter colors and white. Even TV's in the same model line can vary and what sources you use can also have an impact, so it while it may be too high for you and me, it may not be too high for someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 356 Old 03-21-2013, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor1521 View Post

Hello everyone! I just purchased the 55LM4600 "Open Box" for $595 + tax from Best Buy 2 days ago. What a steal! I also added a 4 year warranty through Squaretrade for only $69 more. Man this set is amazing compared to my old Mitsubishi 52" LCD Diamond Series. The passive 3D is really stunning. The 2D picture is also really impressive.

I was hoping you guys could help me with something. The Best Buy gave me the wrong remote and it doesn't work with this TV. When I went back to exchange the remote for the correct one they had given that remote to another customer also by accident. So long story short, I have no remote. Without a remote I cannot activate 3D from my OnDemand cable provider since I don't have a 3D button. Anyway, I'm looking for the right remote to purchase off of eBay or somewhere online. Could one of you please check your remote and let me know what the model number is? That would help me a lot in my search for a replacement.

Thank you! biggrin.gif:D:D
I believe this is what you are looking for:
The remote control part number is AKB73615313.
post #273 of 356 Old 03-21-2013, 05:37 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonheart View Post

isn't contrast 100 too high?

I have the 55LM5850 which is very similar to the LM4600 series as we share the same manual and firmware. I used the Disney WOW disc to calibrate my set and the optimum contrast setting is 98. One hundred might be a tad too high but not by much.
post #274 of 356 Old 03-21-2013, 08:42 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigationroad View Post

I believe this is what you are looking for:
The remote control part number is AKB73615313.

Thank you very much!
post #275 of 356 Old 03-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hello,

Could anyone tell me how to access the service menu? I read that there is an option for local dimming, which I need to try because the flashlighting is awful on my set. Anything with dark scenes is unwatchable at nighttime. Otherwise I'm returning it.
post #276 of 356 Old 03-23-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

Hello,

Could anyone tell me how to access the service menu? I read that there is an option for local dimming, which I need to try because the flashlighting is awful on my set. Anything with dark scenes is unwatchable at nighttime. Otherwise I'm returning it.

How can it have local dimming? It is an edge lit TV. Don't you need a full backlit array to do local dimming properly? To dim specific areas of the screen.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #277 of 356 Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

How can it have local dimming? It is an edge lit TV. Don't you need a full backlit array to do local dimming properly? To dim specific areas of the screen.

It's what LG refers to as LEDplus. It's not true full local dimming, but rather dims certain of the edge leds to dim an area of the screen. There is some debate on how effective this method is, but it doe seem to make a difference in some cases. It's standard on all sets from LM6700 and above. Several other manufacturers also do this and it is generically referred to as local dimming even though its not quite the same as that with full array sets. The rumor is that all LG Edge lit sets are capable of doing it and you just need to get into the service menu to activate it. The procedure to get to the service menu should be the same as other LG sets using certain universal remotes, Harmony remotes, or a real service remote. I think the procedure for accessing service menus is in the LM7600 thread. I've never done it so I can't tell you more than that or whether the local dimming function actually exists or if its in the service menu, but doesn't actually do anything.
post #278 of 356 Old 03-24-2013, 06:15 PM

Great thread I got this tv about a month ago and its great but I too am dissapointed with the lack of trumotion feature and I'm glad to read the above news of lg working on it.

post #279 of 356 Old 03-24-2013, 09:51 PM
cut

got this tv shipped from frys for 569, not bad i guess, dont really notice much difference between my much older hitachi 1080p 120hz lcd, except that my hitachi 42" has actual control over its 120hz settings in the menu.

is this lg actually capable of excepting a 1920x1080@120hz signal from a pc ? just curious because after recently playing with a lg pa70g led projector and my pc i figured out how to make a 120hz setting and send it to the projector and it made a difference for pc use
post #280 of 356 Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 AM

Hello all, I bought this TV new from Sears for $599, It was a Redtag Clearance item. I had to do a little legwork getting this purchase, they were all out at the store and the closest one in stock was In Downtown Houston, which by the way closes at 7pm?! my wife and I are in Humble and it was already 5 pm.
I was<< very excited about getting this TV to upgrade older 2008 Toshiba Regza 42" LCD.
Main reason getting this TV was for gaming PS3 BLACK OPS and for 3D movies.
Since getting this TV I have been going thru the 5 stages of Grief:

Denial: I can't believe I wasted my money on the wrong TV.

Anger: Damn Damn Damn..where's my punch bowl?

Bargaining: Well maybe if hadn't already thrown away the box and mounted it to the wall I could return it, or then again maybe I can get those colors to come in right.?

Depression: Almost...almost, so close.. just my luck...."We seem to be made to suffer, it's our lot in life."

Acceptance: It's not too bad..I still got a good deal on a reasonably up to date, low energy consumption 47" LED TV with 3D for $600 but again it's not what I was expecting.

I have a Vizio 32" smart TV with 3D and I will tell it's just as good if not better and the ol' 5 year old Toshiba has better color.
There's horrible glare on the LG.
You can't adjust settings while you are on PS3, so u have to input HDMI back and forth from adjusting colors on one screen only to see there not right on another..and yes u get the annoying Do u want to turn on 3d now, put ur glasses on and sit 2 meters away notice.
The Tv speakers break up and loud sounds distort on a volume level of any more than a setting of 25.
The game setting is slippery; scrolling and sliding crosshairs with uneven transitions,gameplay is better on any setting but.
The 3.40 update doesn't seem to do anything. ---Damn : (
There's a certain amount of fuzziness that just won't be adjusted away. (Is it the special 3d film on the screen I have read about?)
The colors on the factory settings lack vibrance and depth, no matter how much adjustment they just don't come out right...I have been messing with the settings for about a week and half. As one reviewer wrote on another forum, " The factory settings lack color and you end up jacking up the color only to have brights bleed out on to the screen.." Don't get me wrong u can get color depth but the clarity obscures and u end up going in circles adjusting....I may be a little ocd but come on : ( We're all kicking ourselves in the butt trying to convince ourselves we can adjust it but in the end we know ...this relationship is going no where fast.....It's not me it's you LG47LM4600
Say again what's the definition of Insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Bottom line I wouldn't buy this TV again nor recommend it to a friend.I am disappointed and have an unfavorable view of LG products from now on....ya hear me LG corp?

Sincerely,
Not Humble in Humble
post #281 of 356 Old 03-27-2013, 12:39 AM

Liked: 11
Picked this up from Newegg for $505 shipped... 2 day delivery. What a sweet deal. I believe they are out now, too bad as I wanted to get another for Dad...

The settings someone recently suggested weren't no where near my tastes, oh well... but I've dialed it in to look good to my eyes. Still room for improvement, but happy enough for now. 3D is plenty acceptable.

Sound is good, once you get rid of the rattle... the speakers don't distort, the metal back does. Easily solved by placing thin cardboard between the outer frame and metal back midpoint on each speaker. Should LG have done something like this... yeah! But they didn't so an easy fix is worth the low price. I'm cranking volume now and no rattle.

Thanks to page 9 poster for recommending Newegg on ebay for 505 :-)
post #282 of 356 Old 03-28-2013, 07:37 PM

Been reading this thread for a week or so and finally pulled the trigger on this tv, got it off Newegg for about 580. I had some questions for anyone else who owns one, my previous TV was a mid level Sony LCD, and when I compared the video quality of the new TV and my old one, it appeared that the contrast was better on my Sony. Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought LED/LCD were supposed to be brighter, or at least have better black levels, and this one doesn't seem to get as bright or as dark as my other one. Maybe somebody could give me some tips on calibration.
post #283 of 356 Old 03-28-2013, 08:30 PM

LED Tv's are no better for contrast or black levels than traditional CCFL lit TV's, except in cases where the LED TV is using full-array lighting with local dimming, which is very expensive. It is true that a lot of LED lit sets can get brighter. It does not surprise me that the Sony would have better black levels and contrast than this LG. The IPS panels that LG uses while providing great viewing angles and great color accuracy, generally do not have great black levels and contrast. Your Sony likely has some variation of a VA panel which tend to provide better black levels and contrast, but not as great of viewing angles.
post #284 of 356 Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hawaii50 View Post

I just took delivery of my new 47LM4600, and I'm getting ready to start setting everything up. I'm wondering if this TV does support ARC, or not? There seems to be a difference of opinions here. I just got off of Live Chat with LG, and they state that this model does NOT support ARC? Can anyone confirm or deny?

I can confirm that it does pass the 5.1 signal through the TV. I connect my cable box directly to my tv via HDMI, run TV output to my receiver via optical. I can get 5.1 that way. The only other change I made was that on the cable box receiver it's set as pass through (not PCM or stereo)
post #285 of 356 Old 03-31-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyP View Post

I can confirm that it does pass the 5.1 signal through the TV. I connect my cable box directly to my tv via HDMI, run TV output to my receiver via optical. I can get 5.1 that way. The only other change I made was that on the cable box receiver it's set as pass through (not PCM or stereo)

probably ur receiver is upgrading the sound to 5.1?
ARC means that you can transfer sound to your receiver via only using the hdmi cable, so in this case this tv is not ARC since sound has to be transferred by optical cable.
using optical sound transmission is not too bad anyhow and most receivers can amplify any sound source making it have good sound...
post #286 of 356 Old 03-31-2013, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Annoying 3D Popup Screen

Just got mine hooked up and so far it is great! Except, for that annoying 3D popup. Is there any way to get rid of it? I just updated firmware to current, didn't help unless I am missing something. Thanks!! Troy
post #287 of 356 Old 03-31-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyhash View Post

Annoying 3D Popup Screen

Just got mine hooked up and so far it is great! Except, for that annoying 3D popup. Is there any way to get rid of it? I just updated firmware to current, didn't help unless I am missing something. Thanks!! Troy

Yes it's annoying. It should disappear in a few seconds instead of waiting for a button press.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #288 of 356 Old 04-03-2013, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Annoying 3D Popup Screen

I thought I read earlier in a post that you could disable something to get rid of it? I can't seem to find it now? I am wrong on this??
post #289 of 356 Old 04-05-2013, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I thought I read earlier in a post that you could disable something to get rid of it? I can't seem to find it now? I am wrong on this??

It appears that LG had disabled that option. Used to be in the 3D menu setting. But its no longer there.
post #290 of 356 Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 AM

Thinking about getting this set. I'm primarily going to use it for normal TV use and gaming. It won't be my primary display after I move in a few months, but I'll still get a lot of use. My main concern is PQ for the price, so for around $500-600 I'm looking for the best display out there. Any thoughts?
post #291 of 356 Old 04-09-2013, 05:43 PM

Liked: 15
UPDATED SETTINGS AFTER MONTH OF OWNERSHIP: THIS SETUP GREATLY REDUCES GRAINY LOOK AND IS MUCH CLEARER
BRIGHTNESS IS GOING TO VARY ACCORDING TO LIGHTING, THIS IS FORMATTED FOR A VERY BRIGHT ROOM
PICTURE MODE: SPORT
BACKLIGHT: 35
CONTRAST:100
BRIGHTNESS: 50
SHARPNESS: 70
COLOR: 70
TINT: 0
COLOR TEMP: 0
ADVANCED CONTROL

DYNAMIC CONTRAST: MED
DYNAMIC COLOR: MED
CLEAR WHITE: LOW
SKIN COLOR: 0
NOISE REDUCTIONS: BOTH OFF
GAMMA: HIGH
BLACK LEVEL: LOW
EYE CARE: OFF
COLOR GAMUT: WIDE
post #292 of 356 Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
ok, I'm having a weird issue occaisonally. only has happened 2 or 3 times that I know of in the last 2 months that I've owned this TV. what happens is that I turn on the tv, then on my ps3 and the tv won't recognize that the ps3 is turned on.... no signal accepted even though the ps3 is running in the background. the last two times I've just had to restart the ps3, or the tv (either works) and voila, all working again, but this time I just hit the center ps3 button on my controller and it found the connection. is this something that I should be worried about on the TV's side or is this something as simple as a cable connection etc.
post #293 of 356 Old 04-10-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Might be an HDMI thing. Try turning on the PS3 first, and see if you still have this problem.
post #294 of 356 Old 04-11-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

ok, I'm having a weird issue occaisonally. only has happened 2 or 3 times that I know of in the last 2 months that I've owned this TV. what happens is that I turn on the tv, then on my ps3 and the tv won't recognize that the ps3 is turned on.... no signal accepted even though the ps3 is running in the background. the last two times I've just had to restart the ps3, or the tv (either works) and voila, all working again, but this time I just hit the center ps3 button on my controller and it found the connection. is this something that I should be worried about on the TV's side or is this something as simple as a cable connection etc.

Definitely HDMI handshake issue. Havent happened on this TV that I have, but sometimes happens on my Samsung or Vizio (on both TV very rare still)
post #295 of 356 Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 PM

I now have over 250 hours on my 55lm4600 and interesting enough, the flashlighting and uniformity started rapidly improving. Still a little bit there, but not nearly as bad as it was. Seems like these panels need a little time to settle in.
post #296 of 356 Old 04-12-2013, 04:58 PM

For all those complaining about the contrast/color issues, have you guys tried using LG's default settings and tried setting the "enegy saver" setting to "off".
Reason why I ask is because that is the way I had it set up in my LG47lw5300 and I loved the rich optimization it came with for regular programming and 3d programming.
It would be great to know as im looking to buy another set since my other Ig tv had an accident:(

Also how do you turn off trumotion again? Can the author of this thread post in the OP?(first page of thread)
'
post #297 of 356 Old 04-15-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargugl View Post

I now have over 250 hours on my 55lm4600 and interesting enough, the flashlighting and uniformity started rapidly improving. Still a little bit there, but not nearly as bad as it was. Seems like these panels need a little time to settle in.

Happen the same to mine (although not 250 hours in)...the uniformity and flashlight have improved quite a lot. Hoping it goes away completly...even though when watch movies I hardly notice them
post #298 of 356 Old 04-15-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmarie View Post

Definitely HDMI handshake issue. Havent happened on this TV that I have, but sometimes happens on my Samsung or Vizio (on both TV very rare still)

yeah, I switched it to a different hdmi port and it gets a more snug fit, so I'm hoping it doesn't happen
post #299 of 356 Old 04-20-2013, 11:51 AM

post #300 of 356 Old 05-01-2013, 06:09 AM

I have had this TV (47LM4600) for about 5 months with zero problems. Almost overnight I noticed white background spots in the corners. Even after I turned backlight down to 30 I still get them (as shown in photo). Is this normal or should I call LG and try to get a replacement? They are still visable during daylight hours and annoy me when I am watching movies in letterbox format. Sorry if this has been asked before (I tried to search but was not sure what terms to use). Thanks.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page