LG 47LM4600 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 356 Old 11-03-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LG 47LM4600 This thread is to help me and anyone else with issues, calibration advice and all other subjects for owners of this 3D HDTV. I personally seeking Sharpness setting advice, and also would love to here someones calibration advice OR OWN PERSONAL SETTINGS (in detail) I've recently purchased this tv and can't seem to find much out there on the net on it.. Come on guys dive in...any advice or input on anything to do with this HDTV calibration would be great...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 356 Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
This is a newly introduced model--sort of an early "Black Friday Special" 3D with no smart features. Until enough are out there for owner's to report back on I'd suggest trying settings posted for other LG models like the LM6200, LM6700, etc. Alternatively you could get a calibration disc and do it yourself. No two sets are exactly alike so copying someone else's settings is not always the best way to go.

If the set has the "Picture Wizard" feature (pretty sure it does) use it--it's sort of like a built-in calibration disc.

Steve S.
post #3 of 356 Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

I got the Disney wow disc, did a great job... ONLY PROBLEM I'M HAVING IN IS HOW TO GET THE SHARPNESS CALIBRATED OR HOW TO KNOW IT IS...its weird because my calibration disc says like any other thing I've read, watch for halo and artifacts, but i can turn both the horizontal and vertical all the way up, and i get none of that, the test is standard, i can't tell where optimal calibration is.. Help?
post #4 of 356 Old 11-06-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

In my experience with LGs the sharpness setting when using the Picture Wizard feature is easier than the WOW disc--about 10 on the scale works.

Steve S.
post #5 of 356 Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I haven't been able to get any calibration to take for 3d. It seems to always default back to a preset mode. Any thoughts?
post #6 of 356 Old 11-14-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Try this--put the set into 3D mode, select a different pic mode than it was in for 2D mode on that input, change the picture settings while still in 3D mode--might work.

Steve S.
post #7 of 356 Old 11-16-2012, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Steve S,

Did a little more research. I get "This function is not available" when trying to go into settings while in 3D mode. So I can't change any settings in 3D mode. There is an AV Mode button that looks like it might cycle through some of the presets, but not the expert one. It looks like if I change those presets it uses some values, but not all. For example, I can remove color and then I have no color when I go into 3d mode, but I'm pretty sure it bumps up the backlight(which I guess does make some sense), but it also looks like it tunrs the sharpness up quite a bit. Very weird.
post #8 of 356 Old 11-17-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

I get the same as far as 3D goes, but in reality I find the sharpness very dificult to set all the way around......
post #9 of 356 Old 11-19-2012, 04:47 AM

How's the motion performance on this in 2d mode? 3d?

For anyone who does any gaming, does the input lag seem reasonable on it?
post #10 of 356 Old 11-24-2012, 12:34 AM

Anyone know if you can play video from USB on this model including .avi, .mp4, files? They make it so difficult to find this information, thank you.
post #11 of 356 Old 11-24-2012, 11:30 AM

Just bought this TV and would be interested in anyone's settings .
post #12 of 356 Old 11-25-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 56
ahhhh , bummer so it's a "black friday" tv, meaning stripped down featuers and probably cheaper panels. I KNEW the $649 price at costco was too good to be true
post #13 of 356 Old 11-30-2012, 04:58 AM

From what I gather, this TV does not have the wireless networking or LED local dimming turned on.
I was also told that you could turn it in in the service menu. Not sure who would really want to try it as I think it would void warranty.
Have only seen the model on display, but it did not look to bad. Not as many option as my LW5600, but for a LED 3D TV, if you can live with it being a dumb TV, then it should do alright.

Edit: I also did not see anything that mentioned arc and when I checked the back of the TV did not see one of the HDMI ports labeled with ARC.
There were 3 HDMI ports and one network cable port. 1 USB port, but not sure if that can be used with a wireless dongle or not.
post #14 of 356 Old 12-02-2012, 10:20 PM

Liked: 14
Hello Folks,

I'm new to this forum. I've decided to start posting any of my findings and also hopefully get some help with my new LG 47LM4600 LED 3D TV I just picked up this past black Friday. I got it for $449.00 at Fry's.

I'm pretty happy so far, however first things first -- I can't get rid of this 3D prompt every time I power it on. Any idea how to remove it?

Second: So far I have connected my Wii U to it, tested netflix, some Wii U games and they all look decent. However, I'm definitely looking into calibrating it using one of the calibration discs. I may go with the Disney WOW. If anybody has already calibrated theirs, please share your settings.

Third: I plugged it in to the internet and found that it's only internet ready for firmware updates, that's it. Not a smart TV at all. I'm I wrong?

And finally, I plan on testing it with my PS3 next. Play some Blu-Rays, games, and the 3D feature (both games and movies.) I'll report back.

I'll post my settings once I calibrated. I'm currently adding the Disney WOW Blu-Ray to my Walmart cart. $20 for the 2 disc not bad, however, I heard that you don't really need the second disc.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks!
post #15 of 356 Old 12-02-2012, 10:24 PM

Would you mind sharing your settings after the calibration, sir?
post #16 of 356 Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If it's anything like the lm4700s I would suggest dropping backlight to around 30, leave contrast around 95-100 and bring brightness up to about 70. Turn off the dynamic featuers etc and I find in Cinema mode ( I enabled THX cinema but not sure it makes any difference since I tinkered with the settings) it looks pretty good with only a bit of blue pop to dial down at some point.

Watched a few movies on netflixh via PS3 and felt it turned out pretty well

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #17 of 356 Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 AM

Does anybody know where u go in the settings to turn off TruMotion? Is it in the settings somewhere or is my TV just missing it?
post #18 of 356 Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acemj23 View Post

Does anybody know where u go in the settings to turn off TruMotion? Is it in the settings somewhere or is my TV just missing it?

I cannot find the setting, but with my set it does not look like TruMotion is even on. Not sure what is up with that or if I had just gotten used to it from my LW5600 having it on low.
post #19 of 356 Old 12-09-2012, 02:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desz View Post

I got it for $449.00 at Fry's.
I'm pretty happy so far, however first things first -- I can't get rid of this 3D prompt every time I power it on. Any idea how to remove it?
Thanks!

- Wow, we just got it today for $549 at Fry's and though that was a screaming deal, but BF, ya, I get it...

For the 3D Menu, there should be a 3D "Q.menu" you select after enabling 3D video... The first option there is "3D on start" Off or On.
post #20 of 356 Old 12-10-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post

- Wow, we just got it today for $549 at Fry's and though that was a screaming deal, but BF, ya, I get it...
For the 3D Menu, there should be a 3D "Q.menu" you select after enabling 3D video... The first option there is "3D on start" Off or On.

Thank you, Dan! That worked!!!

$549 is not bad at all.

Also, just want to post an update. I finally received my Disney WOW calibration Blu-Ray. I will start the calibration tests tonight. I have to add, that the default "Standard" setting looks pretty damn good -- both on HDMI and COAX channels.
post #21 of 356 Old 12-10-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSG_Da_Bears View Post

I cannot find the setting, but with my set it does not look like TruMotion is even on. Not sure what is up with that or if I had just gotten used to it from my LW5600 having it on low.

I've been wondering about this too. I don't see the "soap opera" look usually seen on 120ghz tvs. Let us know if you find the setting. I will also research.
post #22 of 356 Old 12-10-2012, 07:14 PM

Can someone please verify if this is an IPS display?
post #23 of 356 Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 AM

I just got this TV on Saturday for $601.14 after tax at Fry's.

To be honest it doesn't look like it has 120hz. I am sceptical because for some reason only the USA product page has 120hz.

USA "120hz" page: http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-47LM4600-led-tv

South Africa "non 120hz" page: http://www.lg.com/za/tvs/lg-47LM4600-3d-tv

Also it does not list 120hz/TruMotion anywhere in the settings, and does not look like other 120hz TV's I've seen.

What do you guys think?
post #24 of 356 Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gskellig View Post

I just got this TV on Saturday for $601.14 after tax at Fry's.
To be honest it doesn't look like it has 120hz. I am sceptical because for some reason only the USA product page has 120hz.
USA "120hz" page: http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-47LM4600-led-tv
South Africa "non 120hz" page: http://www.lg.com/za/tvs/lg-47LM4600-3d-tv
Also it does not list 120hz/TruMotion anywhere in the settings, and does not look like other 120hz TV's I've seen.
What do you guys think?

They could be calling it motion clarity.

Motion Clarity Index is a comprehensive indicator of the genuine clarity of fast motion display, incorporating factors beyond mere frame rates.
LG’s detailed backlight scanning, advanced local dimming and powerful engine all add to a superb performance in reducing blur in fast-moving pictures.

Versus

TruMotion 120Hz technology lets you see sports, video games and high-speed action with virtually no motion blur. Now your TV can keep up with your fast-moving entertainment.
post #25 of 356 Old 12-11-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desz View Post

Thank you, Dan! That worked!!!
$549 is not bad at all.
Also, just want to post an update. I finally received my Disney WOW calibration Blu-Ray. I will start the calibration tests tonight. I have to add, that the default "Standard" setting looks pretty damn good -- both on HDMI and COAX channels.

Let us know the Calibration numbers when you're done. I just been using the Standard/Vivid and adjusted a few values.
post #26 of 356 Old 12-12-2012, 12:53 AM

OK, I just came back from the SlickDeals forum on this too and there is indeed a lot of confusion in regards to 120Hz/trumotion... First off, there is a software update for this model dated 11/26 and can be found here: http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-47LM4600 This brought mine from 3.02.xx to 3.40.xx BUT unfortunately did not add any control for the Trumotion setting. Here in the US both the website and the box does say 120Hz/Trumotion but I am also not noticing that almost 3D-like "soap opera effect" (I don't mind it, I find it very realistic.). I think I am going to hit up LG chat support in the morning and see whats up... Good luck everyone.
post #27 of 356 Old 12-12-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:

OK, I just came back from the SlickDeals forum on this too and there is indeed a lot of confusion in regards to 120Hz/trumotion... First off, there is a software update for this model dated 11/26 and can be found here: http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-47LM4600 This brought mine from 3.02.xx to 3.40.xx BUT unfortunately did not add any control for the Trumotion setting. Here in the US both the website and the box does say 120Hz/Trumotion but I am also not noticing that almost 3D-like "soap opera effect" (I don't mind it, I find it very realistic.). I think I am going to hit up LG chat support in the morning and see whats up... Good luck everyone.

Hi danbfree! I just bought this tv and have been unsuccessful in updating the firmware; the TV just refuses to see the .epk file on a thumb drive, acts like it's not even there. Do you happen to have any tips on getting it to work? Thank you very much! smile.gif
post #28 of 356 Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbeard View Post

Hi danbfree! I just bought this tv and have been unsuccessful in updating the firmware; the TV just refuses to see the .epk file on a thumb drive, acts like it's not even there. Do you happen to have any tips on getting it to work? Thank you very much! smile.gif

Just make sure the thumb drive is formatted as FAT32 and make sure the file is in a folder called "LG_DTV" and it should show up and ask you to update as soon as you plug it in to the TV. Good luck!
ScttNttng likes this.
post #29 of 356 Old 12-12-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:

Just make sure the thumb drive is formatted as FAT32 and make sure the file is in a folder called "LG_DTV" and it should show up and ask you to update as soon as you plug it in to the TV. Good luck!

Darnit! I cannot figure this out! All it says when I plug it in is that "new device found, do you want to use it? (yes/no)". Am I using the wrong file? LM1_DVB_AJ_RevNo7704_V03.40.10_usb_V2_SECURED.epk
post #30 of 356 Old 12-12-2012, 11:19 PM

Oh jeez, nevermind! I'm a complete and utter moron! For some reason the LG website had given me the "za" website instead of the US website, urgh! >< Thanks Dan!
danbfree likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page