Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 720 Old 12-23-2012, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Polk View Post

No banding issues here. Have had the TV for about 6 weeks. I actually had to do a search in order to understand what banding is. TV is a great deal for the price.

Same here. I've only had the TV for a couple of weeks, (Sam's Club BF fiasco...but at least I got if for the $998) and no issues at all. Great TV, would be a deal even at full price.
maracuya likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 720 Old 12-23-2012, 03:28 PM

Liked: 13
I returned me set with the dead pixel today and got a replacement. The replacement set has three dead pixils. one seems to be completely dead and the other 2 are only dead for certain colors (they do not show up on a red background).

Does anyone else have any dead pixels? I find it hard to believe that I have had two sets In a row and no key else has had any.

If you are reading this, get up and look at your set up close. The dead pixels will show up under a red, white, or grey background depending on what color is dead.
post #543 of 720 Old 12-23-2012, 05:17 PM

I ran a dead pixel test I found on YouTube and there are 6 bad pixels. All 6 only show up only on a green background. I can see none of them from the nearest seating position so for tonight i am not going to let thos bother me.

Also a little web research shows me that many manufacturers allow a certain number of dead pixels. The ones advertized as "Class" will have no dead pixels.

Based on this reading I fully expect that I am not the only one with pixel issues. I'm hoping people will report weather they have pixel issues or not.
post #544 of 720 Old 12-23-2012, 05:44 PM

Liked: 10
Costco's return policy is the best

Can anyone comment on motion "blurring" with action sports?
In looking at their web site, Vizio makes another similar model with twice the refresh rate. I wonder if that's to help with fast moving scenes...
Has anyone seen the M650VSE and the M651VSE. What's the difference between the two?
Thanksluojie
post #545 of 720 Old 12-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumsdsd View Post

Costco's return policy is the best
Can anyone comment on motion "blurring" with action sports?
In looking at their web site, Vizio makes another similar model with twice the refresh rate. I wonder if that's to help with fast moving scenes...
Has anyone seen the M650VSE and the M651VSE. What's the difference between the two?
Thanks

there are a few diffferences I think (I have the 651SV model, so someone with the 650 may correct me.

The 651SV is 3D capable if that matters to you
The 651SV also has a setting for Smart Dimming (Local Dimming)
4 HDMI inputs
I think it has 15w speakers instead of 10

There may be other diffs as well.

Thanks
Rick
post #546 of 720 Old 12-24-2012, 05:21 AM

Got my M650VSE from Sam's BF deal on 12/18 after cancellation and reorder routine. Hung it on the wall yesterday with Walmart on-line Atlantic tilting wall mount for 37-70" flat panel TVs @$24.98-looks like mount will work great although I had to drill holes in the frame to access the studs(none of the slots matched my stud positions) and added 2 extra holes in the center. Unfortunately when I finally turned it on last night I had a black circle on the lower left about 6" diameter with jagged lines radiating from it and a bunch of vertical multi colored lines and a few horizontal white lines -obviously a damaged unit . I will be returning it for a new replacement and hopefully a better story.
post #547 of 720 Old 12-24-2012, 05:22 AM

Double entry-sorry!
post #548 of 720 Old 12-24-2012, 01:13 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplebuddy View Post

Since posting those settings and living with the set for longer now, I totally agree with you about the colors. At first I preferred leaving the Color Enhancement setting off, but it completely kills the reds and the greens. Initially I had a separate setting just for football games due to the exact problem you mentioned about the grass looking grey. The main difference was that I used Color Enhancement on "Normal" which made greens look correct. The more I've watched movies and television the more I can't stand the look of the colors with Color Enhancement "Off". The reds and greens are completely lifeless. So all that to say, I have finally settled on a single group of settings I am happy with, which I use for both television and movies. The colors are not perfect all the time but most of the time I'm very happy with it. Here's what I'm using now and probably sticking with unless someone posts something I like even better:
Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 55
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 55
Color: 48
Tint: -2 (one thing to note here is with the AVS HD709 calibration disc the "correct" setting using a blue filter was +2 but it looked way too green to me so I adjusted it by eye to -2)
Sharpness: 6
Color Temperature: Custom
Red Gain: 50
Green Gain: 45
Blue Gain: 50
Red Offset: 50
Green Offset: 45
Blue Offset: 50
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Noise Reduction: Low
MPEG NR: Low
Color Enhancement: Normal
Adaptive Luma: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Backlight Control: Off
Ambient Light Sensor: Off
At one point I was ready to return my M650VSE but I'm happy to report that I really love it now that I got the settings where I can live with the colors. As I mentioned in a previous post and as Scipper77 also mentioned above, the banding is not a big deal at all. This may vary set to set, but in my case and it sounds like in Scipper77's as well you rarely ever notice it, and for me it's only on solid backgrounds like the Netflix loading screen. So far it hasn't been a distraction whatsoever.
Love these settings they are the best for me so far as well
maracuya likes this.
post #549 of 720 Old 12-25-2012, 09:01 AM

SOB
Whole screen is shattered
As soon as I opened it I said its broke, you could see lines all over without even turning it on

Got it bf ONLINE from SAMs, guess I call them tomorrow??
Or can I take it back IN STORE??
Thanks
post #550 of 720 Old 12-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post

SOB
Whole screen is shattered
As soon as I opened it I said its broke, you could see lines all over without even turning it on
Got it bf ONLINE from SAMs, guess I call them tomorrow??
Or can I take it back IN STORE??
Thanks

what a bummer! I hope you can return it to the store instead of shipping!

Rick
post #551 of 720 Old 12-26-2012, 09:14 PM

As far as quality control goes on this set, I'm not happy at all. I've been through 2 tv's now and hoping a 3rd one will be the charm! First one had a dead pixel that was always white, so Amazon sent me another and picked up the old one. The next one I got was seriously damaged...there was a semicircle in the bottom right hand corner of white pixels filled with oddly colored pixels and then 3 or 4 vertical lines of white and color all the way up the screen. I'm not sure if that tv got hit with something or what, but it's pretty bad. The third tv is on the way, so I'm crossing my fingers!!! I enjoyed the first tv and the picture quite a bit before discovering the dead pixel, so I think I'll be happy if I can get a non-defective screen!
post #552 of 720 Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 AM

Does anyone have a recommendation for a tilt mount that uses 3 studs as opposed to two? I cannot center the unit on my wall with being restricted to only a few inches movement left or right that the only mount gives me....

Also I as well was not happy at all with the out-of-box picture but thanks to many people here, I have it looking 80% better now.
post #553 of 720 Old 12-27-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomeygun View Post

Does anyone have a recommendation for a tilt mount that uses 3 studs as opposed to two? I cannot center the unit on my wall with being restricted to only a few inches movement left or right that the only mount gives me....
Also I as well was not happy at all with the out-of-box picture but thanks to many people here, I have it looking 80% better now.

I have a tilting "levelmount" from BJ's. It uses three studs but in order to get the TV centered on my wall, I had to mount it so that it is not centered on the wall bracket. I'm pretty sure this is what you are supposed to do as the wall bracket is just wide enough to span three studs so you can only adjust the bracket position in increments of 16 inches.
post #554 of 720 Old 12-27-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

For those of you concerned about banding. I've seen it a couple of time also. But as I mentioned before the video has a lot to do with it. I recorded a couple of movies off my DirecTV and tonight I was editing them when I ran across a couple of scenes that had the banding right in the video. It showed up very clear frame by frame on my pc so it was definitely not the TV. This was a movie from one of the premium channels which should be good video.

I have the 651 not the 650 but I thought I would mention it here also. I wonder what the video would look like on an 80 inch set.eek.gif
Duplin likes this.
post #555 of 720 Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 AM

Liked: 11
In our case it is not the signal or source, the vertical bands are always there but only noticeable in pan shots, especially with solid backgrounds like football fields.

Anyway, its good that many don't get the banding problem. We are going to return this one and try another set.
post #556 of 720 Old 12-28-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplebuddy View Post

Since posting those settings and living with the set for longer now, I totally agree with you about the colors. At first I preferred leaving the Color Enhancement setting off, but it completely kills the reds and the greens. Initially I had a separate setting just for football games due to the exact problem you mentioned about the grass looking grey. The main difference was that I used Color Enhancement on "Normal" which made greens look correct. The more I've watched movies and television the more I can't stand the look of the colors with Color Enhancement "Off". The reds and greens are completely lifeless. So all that to say, I have finally settled on a single group of settings I am happy with, which I use for both television and movies. The colors are not perfect all the time but most of the time I'm very happy with it. Here's what I'm using now and probably sticking with unless someone posts something I like even better:
Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 55
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 55
Color: 48
Tint: -2 (one thing to note here is with the AVS HD709 calibration disc the "correct" setting using a blue filter was +2 but it looked way too green to me so I adjusted it by eye to -2)
Sharpness: 6
Color Temperature: Custom
Red Gain: 50
Green Gain: 45
Blue Gain: 50
Red Offset: 50
Green Offset: 45
Blue Offset: 50
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Noise Reduction: Low
MPEG NR: Low
Color Enhancement: Normal
Adaptive Luma: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Backlight Control: Off
Ambient Light Sensor: Off
At one point I was ready to return my M650VSE but I'm happy to report that I really love it now that I got the settings where I can live with the colors. As I mentioned in a previous post and as Scipper77 also mentioned above, the banding is not a big deal at all. This may vary set to set, but in my case and it sounds like in Scipper77's as well you rarely ever notice it, and for me it's only on solid backgrounds like the Netflix loading screen. So far it hasn't been a distraction whatsoever.

After spending countless hours trying to adjust my set to the optimal settings, I came across these that MyAppleBuddy posted. Wish I happened upon these earlier as they are 99% perfect for me! The only change I made, hence the 99% accuracy was the sharpness. I like a very crisp and sharp picture so I cranked mine up to the highest setting (20 I believe). Thanks very much MyAppleBuddy...you saved me countless hours on the settings.

By the way, I LOVE this TV.....it doesn't get any better for the price. I have it mounted to a full swivel along with a Vizio soundbar underneath and I couldn't be happier.
post #557 of 720 Old 12-30-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Do these sets support Hulu Plus? The ad I saw for them didn't list Hulu.

By the way, I just received an email from Best Buy about them now carrying Vizio TVs.
post #558 of 720 Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Bombadil View Post

Do these sets support Hulu Plus? The ad I saw for them didn't list Hulu.
By the way, I just received an email from Best Buy about them now carrying Vizio TVs.

I have the M3D651 Model and I'm pretty sure it has Hulu Plus as one of the VIA apps.

Rick
post #559 of 720 Old 01-01-2013, 03:21 AM

Problem with M650VSE:
Occasionally when using VIA Netflix App, TV will emit very load short beep, and then blank, Vizio logo goes bright, then nothing. No video, no audio. Must power cycle (with remote) to restore normal operaton.
Also CBS Interactive widget will not completely load.
Could someone test/duplicate/verify Netflix App problem?
So far, no other Apps/functions will cause symptom (purchased 12/5/12).
Thanks
post #560 of 720 Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 PM

Liked: 12
This thread got me to buy his model on 11/9. Until a week ago it had been sitting in my garage since the room where it is supposed to go was being remodeled. One delay after another and finally the remodel is done and I have it hung and have had it up and running for about a week. Reading all the posts on all the problems on this TV had me slightly worried although I bought it at Costco and figured I would take it back if anything popped up by the time I actually got around to viewing it. I have run the dead pixel check- clean, not 1 dead pixel on any color. I have been looking for banding and I do know what it looks like as I see it on many of the TV's at Walmart or Target, especially when they pop up that big page of light baby blue. For what it's worth I have not found any banding on this set. If it is there, I'm not seeing it. The colors and picture are very good. I started with myapplebuddy's settings and they are very good but I decided to dig out my Video Essentials calibration disc and fine tuned it. Myapplebuddy's is very very good, but since I am OCD and I freely admit it, my son and I spent some time getting it tweaked to the Nth degree, which in the end isn't significantly different than MAB's.

Netflix and Amazon Prime work fine for streaming. I killed all the other apps that I could. I'm still on older software but I'm waiting for the day that the prompt for new software pops up. I'm pretty happy though in the meantime.

The Seahawks vs. the Rams looked great! I switched over to Falconman's recommendation for smooth and precision but my son would go back and forth between setting smooth off and on and we agreed it wasn't a significant difference. They both looked good while the ball was flying and in action scenes, the nod going to smooth motion at precision.

So far I am very pleased with this set. My wife is happy because it's big enough she can see it big time from the kitchen and do her baking. :-)

edit: one more thing. My son has been playing Xbox on it in game mode and hasn't had any lag issues. I played a few of the racing games and it seem to be fine to me also.
Duplin likes this.
post #561 of 720 Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 PM

Should I buy the 3 year Square Trade warranty from Costco for $59.99 for this 65" Vizio that I bought at Sams Club? Will it extend it from factory 1 year plus American Express 1 year to make a total of 5 years or will it only be from the manufacturers warranty of 1+3 to be a total of 4 years????
post #562 of 720 Old 01-03-2013, 02:54 PM

“How relefective is the screen? Is it almost as reflective as a plasma tv?” seems like this is the same panel as the M3D651SV ..right?
post #563 of 720 Old 01-03-2013, 03:30 PM

Reflective yes. Only when viewed from angles though.
Duplin likes this.
post #564 of 720 Old 01-03-2013, 03:53 PM

We sent the first one back to amazon and got a second one. The new one does not have the vertical bands however, the remote is dead! Vizio says it will take 8 days to send another remote. I'm pretty sure the remote is fine and the problem is with the tv. this could be a lengthy repair. Lame service.
post #565 of 720 Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM

Can anyone tell me what brand these speakers are?? and model???
post #566 of 720 Old 01-03-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk6 View Post

fearless - Any update on your issue ? I'm experiencing the same problem.
I brought home the new Vizio this weekend and as soon as I turned it on I setup my wireless connection and my HDMI port. TV came on fine but then remote became unresponsive and the TV controls didnt work. I could bring up some VIA apps via the remote but as soon as hit the OK button nothing happens. Called Vizio and they told me to exchange it. Well, just got back from BJ's with the second TV, plugged it in and the SAME problem!!!! 2 lemons eek.gif? ...doubtful.. I'll be on the line with Vizio tomorrow to hopefully work out any software issues....

I've tried changing my network router. I still have the same problem. Today I called Vizio. They had me check the firmware version. I have an old one not being updated. They are supposed to call me tomorrow. Tonight I'm going to unplug the TV and plug in the network cable and then plug the TV back in without using the remote. I think I have a good chance the firmware will update by morning.
post #567 of 720 Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco314 View Post

We sent the first one back to amazon and got a second one. The new one does not have the vertical bands however, the remote is dead! Vizio says it will take 8 days to send another remote. I'm pretty sure the remote is fine and the problem is with the tv. this could be a lengthy repair. Lame service.

Do you have any other remote you could program to control it? I use a harmony remote that works pretty nicely, but you might have a remote for some other devices that could be programmed to control the Vizio.

Rick
post #568 of 720 Old 01-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianlegend83 View Post

“How relefective is the screen? Is it almost as reflective as a plasma tv?” seems like this is the same panel as the M3D651SV ..right?

I dont really know if it's the same, though I've assumed that it is. I have the 651SV model. There are differences in the two models, the most obvious being the 3D. But also the 651 has local dimming (Smart dimming Vizio calls it).

Rick
post #569 of 720 Old 01-03-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod S View Post

The colors and picture are very good. I started with myapplebuddy's settings and they are very good but I decided to dig out my Video Essentials calibration disc and fine tuned it. Myapplebuddy's is very very good, but since I am OCD and I freely admit it, my son and I spent some time getting it tweaked to the Nth degree, which in the end isn't significantly different than MAB's.
Would you mind posting what you came up with? I'm always looking to try out new configurations to see if I like it better. I don't have any professional testing equipment so I just used the AVS HD709 disc and then tweaked a bit by eye. Thanks in advance and glad you're enjoying the set as well! By the way I also thought the Seahawks Rams game looked great, but the fact my Hawks won may have skewed my objectivity a bit. smile.gif
post #570 of 720 Old 01-03-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post

I dont really know if it's the same, though I've assumed that it is. I have the 651SV model. There are differences in the two models, the most obvious being the 3D. But also the 651 has local dimming (Smart dimming Vizio calls it).
Rick
I haven't seen the two side by side, but one of the things that steered me away from the 651SV was that many reviews I had read on it said the screen was very reflective. I would describe the 650 as semi matte (if there was a scale of 1 being totally matte and 10 being totally reflective, it would be a solid 5). It's not even close to a plasma in terms of reflectivity. I had a Vizio M420VT prior to the 650, and although the 650 isn't quite as matte as the 420 was (which on my imaginary scale would have been more like a 3), the reflectivity is not distracting at all. We only have windows off to the side of the TV and not behind the viewing area at all, so maybe those with windows in the viewing area could offer their opinion, but I don't find the reflectivity to be a problem at all.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio 65 Inch Razor Led Smart Fhdtv M650vse , Vizio , Led Hdtv , Samsung 65 Inch Class Smart Tv 3d Slim Led Hdtv Un65es6500
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page