Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 720 Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless View Post

I've tried changing my network router. I still have the same problem. Today I called Vizio. They had me check the firmware version. I have an old one not being updated. They are supposed to call me tomorrow. Tonight I'm going to unplug the TV and plug in the network cable and then plug the TV back in without using the remote. I think I have a good chance the firmware will update by morning.

Hi there, I'm having the same issue as well; have you recieved any resolution since your post? I just got off of the phone with Vizio and they told me that they are workng on a firmware update and it should be ready "soon." They asked that I call back on Friday for an udpate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 720 Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeimuzu View Post

How is this TV do gaming? Mainly PS3, I have the HTC350 Sony soundbar/sub as my HDMI hub.
Pretty darn good. I have a DSLR if anyone wants an hd video of something. Only going to be home for a couple more days though.
post #603 of 720 Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Hmmmm ..... I know they are still for sale in the stores but it looks like these are no longer available online!

Says out of stock ... but when they are out of stock on stuff it doesn't pull the page like this. I think they may be moving away from selling this for the new 65" E-series coming soon.

Which is gonna be WAY better then this TV (just for the fact is rear-lit LED instead of edge-lit) for the same 1,299 price point.

http://www.costco.com/VIZIO-65%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-LED-HDTV-M650VSE.product.100008009.html

I may need to see what else there is in the next few weeks before my 90 days is up.
post #604 of 720 Old 01-19-2013, 10:05 AM

Just joined to comment on this thread (and to learn more about home theater systems)....

I picked this up from Costco earlier this month. I had read a review that mentioned banding. From this thread it seems like it may or may not be present on a set. Mine has some a very noticeable light band straight down the middle of the screen about an inch thick. Multi colored shows with movement it isn't too noticeable but tried watching golf and it stared me in the face the entire time.

So. Would users here advise just trading it back to Costco? I saw mention of the same size E series coming out soon--perhaps within or close to the 90 day return time? (purchased Jan 5th)

I know the TV is value set, and I love the price point for the size. That said, I don't want an inch thick band down the center of the screen for the next 5-10 years.
post #605 of 720 Old 01-19-2013, 12:15 PM

Liked: 14
Try the settings I had posted and see how noticeable it still is. I never notice banding while watching TV or movies. The only time I see it is if I'm looking for it on a solid color background like the Netflix loading screen. If you still see it after trying the new settings then yes I would exchange it and try your luck with another one.
post #606 of 720 Old 01-19-2013, 01:11 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by towehaal View Post

Just joined to comment on this thread (and to learn more about home theater systems)....

I picked this up from Costco earlier this month. I had read a review that mentioned banding. From this thread it seems like it may or may not be present on a set. Mine has some a very noticeable light band straight down the middle of the screen about an inch thick. Multi colored shows with movement it isn't too noticeable but tried watching golf and it stared me in the face the entire time.

So. Would users here advise just trading it back to Costco? I saw mention of the same size E series coming out soon--perhaps within or close to the 90 day return time? (purchased Jan 5th)

I know the TV is value set, and I love the price point for the size. That said, I don't want an inch thick band down the center of the screen for the next 5-10 years.

From the way you have described the banding it sounds like you should return the set at once. You say the band is very noticeable which tells me that you can see it predominately and not just on rare occasions. You also state that the band is right down the center of the screen, the worst place to have any defect. Finally you have indicated to me that you like to watch golf, which is the one bit of programming in my opinion that exposes banding more than any other.

Of course this is just my opinion, I am not an expert, and I have never actually seen your set so make sure you return it based on your opinion, not mine.
post #607 of 720 Old 01-19-2013, 02:50 PM

We are going to return it soon... It will take a bit of planning as we have to borrow a bigger car to get it back to the store!

Glad to hear it isn't the same on every set.... that is basically what I was waiting on... deciding to switch it out or returning it and buying a different model.
post #608 of 720 Old 01-19-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplebuddy View Post

Try the settings I had posted and see how noticeable it still is. I never notice banding while watching TV or movies. The only time I see it is if I'm looking for it on a solid color background like the Netflix loading screen. If you still see it after trying the new settings then yes I would exchange it and try your luck with another one.

Thanks, I'll look up your settings and give it a dance.
post #609 of 720 Old 01-20-2013, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
About the youtube stuttering, I feel that youtube hd videos are to blame, I have enough bandwidth to watch hd netflix without any problems but sometimes youtube loads slowly even on my computers. Anyone know how to force SD with our set?
post #610 of 720 Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 AM

Hi guys, what's the latest FW on this one? 3.43.847? Mine's 2.31.447. Will this one ever be updated?
post #611 of 720 Old 01-20-2013, 10:51 AM

I have a gigabit switch and plenty of cat 6 cables on order. I'll let you know if abandoning the wireless n makes a difference.
post #612 of 720 Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 AM

I think I will be contacting Samsclub.com to see what my options are to exchange this TV for vertical banding. I ordered it online when they had it for $998 the night before Thanksgiving and the vertical banding is starting to seriously bother me. It really stood out when Brave and The Lion King on Blu-Ray last night.

Does anyone have experience with doing an exchange via Samsclub.com without visiting a store? I noticed that Sam's now has the E701I-A3 - 70" Vizio for $1548. I just hate to do an exchange with a TV so large, only to have find a replacement TV has the same or other issues (bad pixels or remote issues).

Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #613 of 720 Old 01-28-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nall256 View Post

About the youtube stuttering, I feel that youtube hd videos are to blame, I have enough bandwidth to watch hd netflix without any problems but sometimes youtube loads slowly even on my computers. Anyone know how to force SD with our set?
I installed a gigabit switch and hardwired all of the equipment in my theater. I have had zero YouTube issues with the tv on the lan. Even videos that were slow on my computer stream perfect with the hardwired connection.

I will edit this post if I find the hardwired connection to develop the same issues as the wireless had for me.
post #614 of 720 Old 01-28-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Troxell View Post

Pretty darn good. I have a DSLR if anyone wants an hd video of something. Only going to be home for a couple more days though.

That would be nice if you have the time to have personal use documented. Thank you.
post #615 of 720 Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have several Vizio sets with decent luck so far, just curious on how this set will hold up against the Sony 60EX645, only a 60" but it's more expensive. I bought the Sony today, but it is't being delivered till Feb. 25th, I am tempted to cancel it and order this unit for 5 more inches and a lot less coin.
post #616 of 720 Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well guys I started this thread a while back after first purchasing this TV ... After a couple sets I realized the banding was just something I could not get past. The TV was good and for the price was a steal but picture quality is what matters and when the picture looks great and it moves on a screen with this hideous looking banding lines in the screen itself it makes the viewing experience a bad one!

After waiting for something new the 70" Vizio E701i-A3 went on sale at Costco for $1550 and couldn't pass it up! Just got it and there is zero banding and the picture is great! Sounds is a teeny bit better and overall the extra 5" and the slim frame make it the best buy now for sure at that price.

I will be now leaving this thread since my set is gone and moving over the other 70" thread.

Had high hopes for this set but that issue just let me down.

Good luck all.
bill875 likes this.
post #617 of 720 Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 AM

Liked: 15
Sorry to see you go!. Thanks for the Thread I have dialed in the the Calibrations from this thread and love them. This is my main living room Tv I have noticed the banding from time to time but I sit like 15-17' feet and it has been a none issue for my eyes hahah!. Plus when I want to watch the movies I go up stairs to the theater room for the 120" which no TV size compares to projectors. P.S. I thought I saw this 70" Vizio instore at my Costco for $1350 in store. you better check I could have swore I saw it for under $1400 maybe others can chime in. Or wait for the 80" Sharp to drop below the $3800 mark and your good to go.
post #618 of 720 Old 02-01-2013, 07:52 PM

I couldn't agree more falconman. I just can't handle the banding and I think the small upgrade price to get the 70" will be worth it in the long run. I'm only concerned about the off angle color issue I saw being discussed in the E701i-A3 thread. Did you experience that on your new 70" set?

Edit: I just noticed just how bad the off center/angle color degradation is on my M650VSE. It's terrible! I guess that's what happens when I sit in the same place to watch TV and never look at it from any other seating position.
post #619 of 720 Old 02-01-2013, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandaniella View Post

P.S. I thought I saw this 70" Vizio instore at my Costco for $1350 in store. you better check I could have swore I saw it for under $1400 maybe others can chime in..

Nope the 70" Vizio is $1549.99 (I went back to Costco for a price match .. I bought it Wed. for 1579.99).

The sale on the 70" is good till Sunday.

Ya I don't think I would see the banding as much at 15'+ feet away but at the 9-10' away I am now it shows up SO much and I couldn't handle it.

Glad that some love the TV ... trust me I loved it too ... just about everything about the TV was great for the price ... the banding was just the deal breaker.

Had the 70" Vizio for a couple days now and it's Amazing!!!! .... If you have a couple extra bucks and want an extra 5' then this is the TV to get. No banding ... no blur on occasion (only really saw this on a football when thrown ... though smooth motion / precision fixed this ... but the 70" doesn't need this on to have no blur) and the picture is very clean with not much uniformity at all that I could find so far. For the price it's a Major Steal!

Good luck all. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill875 View Post

I couldn't agree more falconman. I just can't handle the banding and I think the small upgrade price to get the 70" will be worth it in the long run. I'm only concerned about the off angle color issue I saw being discussed in the E701i-A3 thread. Did you experience that on your new 70" set?

Edit: I just noticed just how bad the off center/angle color degradation is on my M650VSE. It's terrible! I guess that's what happens when I sit in the same place to watch TV and never look at it from any other seating position.

Ya seems like you answered your question already ... these TV's are Amazing for the price and the off angle viewing is not the best on either by any means ... but it's no worse then this 65" model. Where I watch TV is more straight on so it's not a bother to me but the off angle viewing is really not all that bad ... like I said these are 1200 and 1500 65" & 70" TV's ... they are gonna be Very Nice ... but you can't expect perfection at that price point.

But I am glad you agree with me on the paying the difference ... I am SO glad I made this switch cause the banding was absolutely KILLING me having this 65" ... the 70" has Zero banding and A Lot Better Viewing Experience By Far!

Like I have said many times minus the bandning issue on this set it is Amazing! If you can get past that issue or you sit far back from the TV then the price tag of 1300 may be good for you ... but if you want a better picture with less uniformity issues and of course an extra five inches then trust me .. it's TOTALLY worth the extra $250!

Take care everybody! smile.gif
post #620 of 720 Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM

Ok, what is the best setting for football? I have played with this and I forget what it's set on, but it's generally good for most programs. SUPER BOWL tomorrow with guests over, so I want the best football picture. I know sometimes the ball blurs, which setting gets rid of the blur and makes the picture look best for the game? Smooth motion off or high?

Had it since thanksgiving. No issues, but some channels recently have a thin row of black and white blocky things. The e701 forum called them data blocks and said it's the channel, not the tv. It's recent, and only on some shows.
post #621 of 720 Old 02-02-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Anne View Post

Ok, what is the best setting for football? I have played with this and I forget what it's set on, but it's generally good for most programs. SUPER BOWL tomorrow with guests over, so I want the best football picture. I know sometimes the ball blurs, which setting gets rid of the blur and makes the picture look best for the game? Smooth motion off or high?

Had it since thanksgiving. No issues, but some channels recently have a thin row of black and white blocky things. The e701 forum called them data blocks and said it's the channel, not the tv. It's recent, and only on some shows.

Just turn 'on' smooth motion (any level is fine) and set real cinema mode to 'precision' ... blur on the ball will be gone.

And ya those data lines are from the channel not the TV ... it ha happened on the same programs and channels with my last 4 big screen TV's.
post #622 of 720 Old 02-02-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 47
falconman515: My friend has the 65" I saw it a couple of days ago after I posted on here, and he is returning his for a 70" because of the banning issue. The only problem I have with Vizios and I have 2 of them is they are inconstantly good or consistently bad, it all depends on what model you have. I am going to take a look at the 70" as well, or just keep the Sony I have on order.
post #623 of 720 Old 02-02-2013, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

falconman515: My friend has the 65" I saw it a couple of days ago after I posted on here, and he is returning his for a 70" because of the banning issue. The only problem I have with Vizios and I have 2 of them is they are inconstantly good or consistently bad, it all depends on what model you have. I am going to take a look at the 70" as well, or just keep the Sony I have on order.

Years ago I moved from Sony TV's to Vizio ... really at the time it was all down to price cause when TV's starting getting bigger they were WAY to expensive and Vizio broke into the market with large TV's at a great price! and of course their XVT line were magnificent!

Every TV is hit and miss no matter what brand you buy ... I myself have had 4 Vizio TV's in the last 3 years in which I have 3 at the moment ... my new 70" in the living room ... the 55" XVT I bought about 3 years ago that was in the living room and now in the bedroom ... and a 42" XVT I bought for the office to watch random stuff while in the office and play Xbox 360 games.

Everything I have ever bought has performed flawlessly ... this 65" TV like I have said many times performed Awesome and the PQ was great ... just the banding issue killed it!

If you read reviews for about every TV out there there are issues and some such and some don't.

I myself won't buy anything other then Vizio .... I tried Sharp and they we're Horrible .... You get the same quality with Vizio and you do for TV's from other makers at twice the price ... I don't like wasting money and everyone should thank Vizio for there products at Amazing Prices .. their prices are the only reason other makers TV's are as low as they are now .... remember back when Samsung game out with the LED TV that was 55" and solf for like $3,800 ... then the Vizio XVT came out to match it (though it was rear-array LED that really is far superior then the edge-lit stuff samsung had and many are today) at a price point $1999 .... next thing you know all Samsung sets we're selling for like $2400-2600.

They are the only reason you buy other TV's for a competitive price.

To each his own but with the quality you receive from Vizio at this type of price and with Costcos extended warranty you will Never find anything that compares ... even if there is a bad hand-full in the bunch every now and again.
post #624 of 720 Old 02-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

Nope the 70" Vizio is $1549.99 (I went back to Costco for a price match .. I bought it Wed. for 1579.99).

The sale on the 70" is good till Sunday.

Ya I don't think I would see the banding as much at 15'+ feet away but at the 9-10' away I am now it shows up SO much and I couldn't handle it.

Glad that some love the TV ... trust me I loved it too ... just about everything about the TV was great for the price ... the banding was just the deal breaker.

Had the 70" Vizio for a couple days now and it's Amazing!!!! .... If you have a couple extra bucks and want an extra 5' then this is the TV to get. No banding ... no blur on occasion (only really saw this on a football when thrown ... though smooth motion / precision fixed this ... but the 70" doesn't need this on to have no blur) and the picture is very clean with not much uniformity at all that I could find so far. For the price it's a Major Steal!

Good luck all. smile.gif
Ya seems like you answered your question already ... these TV's are Amazing for the price and the off angle viewing is not the best on either by any means ... but it's no worse then this 65" model. Where I watch TV is more straight on so it's not a bother to me but the off angle viewing is really not all that bad ... like I said these are 1200 and 1500 65" & 70" TV's ... they are gonna be Very Nice ... but you can't expect perfection at that price point.

But I am glad you agree with me on the paying the difference ... I am SO glad I made this switch cause the banding was absolutely KILLING me having this 65" ... the 70" has Zero banding and A Lot Better Viewing Experience By Far!

Like I have said many times minus the bandning issue on this set it is Amazing! If you can get past that issue or you sit far back from the TV then the price tag of 1300 may be good for you ... but if you want a better picture with less uniformity issues and of course an extra five inches then trust me .. it's TOTALLY worth the extra $250!

Take care everybody! smile.gif
I hear you on the banding at closer viewing. Off angle is not to great either. I have a 50" sceptre that is way off brand in my sons room and my master bedroom that have been perfect for anyone looking for a cheap bedroom TV they are the best. No banding and have been great.
post #625 of 720 Old 02-04-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Well, I broke down and ordered the E701i-A3 from Samsclub.com today and I now have until 2/21 to return the M650VSE to Sam's. It kills me to return it, considering I got it for $998 the night before Thanksgiving. The thinner bezel and reduction/elimination in banding will hopefully be worth the price difference to me. I'll also be sure to get an extended warranty on the 70". I screwed up and waited too long to buy one for the M650VSE. Sam's is sorely lacking in their customer service when it comes to making exceptions to the rule. I was just a few days past the 30-day limit and they wouldn't budge. frown.gif

I'm considering the SquareTrade 3-Year warranty through Costco.com for a total of 4-Years of coverage. Any thoughts on using SquareTrade for the warranty? It's much cheaper than what Sam's offers.
post #626 of 720 Old 02-04-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm considering the SquareTrade 3-Year warranty through Costco.com for a total of 4-Years of coverage. Any thoughts on using SquareTrade for the warranty? It's much cheaper than what Sam's offers.

From what I read all over the net SquareTrades warranty is very good ... and to get a 3 year extended warranty from Costco for $99 on this TV is a steal .... I will be back next month to buy this warranty for my 70" as well..

By the way the 70" is AmAzInG .... now that TV is the steal of century to me ... no banding hardly any uniformity issues ... blurring is gone on sports (the football no longer blurs even having smooth motion off) and the picture when set-up right (go the owners thread for settings or use CNets ... they are great) is stunning for a 70" large screen. I Love the thinner bezel ... never knew how that made the picture look cool .. just seems like picture from edge to edge .. instead of having the large bezel on this set.

Overall you made the best choice available right now in my opinion .... I tried my best with this 65" for a few months but just couldn't make it work ... and now that I have moved to the 70" I am SO happy with what this has to offer and very glad the banding is finally gone!
bill875 likes this.
post #627 of 720 Old 02-04-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Overall you made the best choice available right now in my opinion .... I tried my best with this 65" for a few months but just couldn't make it work ... and now that I have moved to the 70" I am SO happy with what this has to offer and very glad the banding is finally gone!

Thanks falconman! I am looking forward to the phone call to set a delivery date/time. Interestingly, the 70" weighs less than the 65". I was reading how these newer Vizio sets are capable of PIP (Picture in Picture), but Vizio simply didn't include a button on the remote or mention of it in the specs. I used my Harmony Remote, which is still programmed from my SV470XVT1A to enable PIP and it worked on the M650VSE. I sure do love undocumented features when they are to our advantage.
post #628 of 720 Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was reading how these newer Vizio sets are capable of PIP (Picture in Picture), but Vizio simply didn't include a button on the remote or mention of it in the specs. I used my Harmony Remote, which is still programmed from my SV470XVT1A to enable PIP and it worked on the M650VSE. I sure do love undocumented features when they are to our advantage.

Wow interesting .... My URC R50 Universal Remote has a PIP button for the Vizio and I clicked on it and sure enough the PIP box came up ... then if you click it again it does the side by side picture ... and this is on the 70" ... so looks like they both have it. Still need to find a way to get the PIP Input button on the URC so I can tell the TV what input I want the PIP box to be.

Thanks for the info ... I'm sure 95% of us owners on these TV's have no clue this exist ... and it look like only a universal remote control will do this since there is no button on the supplied Vizio remote.
post #629 of 720 Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the 651 and have a remote from an earlier Vizio that has all the buttons. I tried this a while back and the PIP doesn't work on the 651 but the Zoom feature does. I would have bought the 650 but I really wanted the Glossy screen. The 3D on the set works good but I'm not that excited about 3D. I would rather have the PIP.
post #630 of 720 Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:

[/SIZE]
Well, I broke down and ordered the E701i-A3 from Samsclub.com today and I now have until 2/21 to return the M650VSE to Sam's. It kills me to return it, considering I got it for $998 the night before Thanksgiving. The thinner bezel and reduction/elimination in banding will hopefully be worth the price difference to me. I'll also be sure to get an extended warranty on the 70". I screwed up and waited too long to buy one for the M650VSE. Sam's is sorely lacking in their customer service when it comes to making exceptions to the rule. I was just a few days past the 30-day limit and they wouldn't budge. frown.gif

I considered getting the Squaretrade on mine but I purchased my M650VSE from Sam Club on my American Express that extends the Manufacturers warranty to 2 years. Most all AVS members and Home Theater geeks will tell you that most all electronics if they fail will fail soon within the first few months. The failure rate is only like 4-5% or less and that will most likely happen before the 1 year mark. Or in my case2 year.
If you have American Express buy it on that. Hope this helps you out. If you decide to go with it go Square Trade Costco has a Insurance Policy on them and is bonded in case in the event they go bankrupt Costco will still honor all Squaretrade policies. I don't know what Sams's club is but back in the day Circuit City had that and stiffed everyone when they went out of business and there was no insurance on their warranty company.

Also reminder to all. You can buy the Square trade Warranty on any TV that is purchased outside of Costco as long as they are a registered dealer of the product. One quick note. The Squaretrade would have cost only $59.99 at Costco for all of us that paid $988.99 at Sams Club Because it landed under $-1,000.00 dollars so that $60.00 i guess could be a good 4 year piece of mind. I believe we had 60 days from the day of purchase.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio 65 Inch Razor Led Smart Fhdtv M650vse , Vizio , Led Hdtv , Samsung 65 Inch Class Smart Tv 3d Slim Led Hdtv Un65es6500
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page