Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 720 Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy!

Just curious.

20 days after purchasing this TV I've still yet to receive the firmware update! Is this normal? I have used skype, amazon, netflix, etc so I know it's setup and connecting fine with the internet.

Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 720 Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markman07 View Post

Howdy!

Just curious.

20 days after purchasing this TV I've still yet to receive the firmware update! Is this normal? I have used skype, amazon, netflix, etc so I know it's setup and connecting fine with the internet.

Thanks

There may not be a firmware update for it. You might want to check with Vizio to find out what latest the FW version.

Rick
post #633 of 720 Old 02-19-2013, 02:00 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markman07 View Post

Howdy!

Just curious.

Thanks

If you are not experiencing any issues I wouldn't worry about the firmware at all. I thought I had issues with my youtube playback so I went so far as to run an ethernet connection to the TV. It turned out that youtube has been having trouble keeping up with demand. Streaming is perfect during off hours.
post #634 of 720 Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM

Has anyone had problems with slow TV startup?
I have my DirecTV receiver hooked up to a Denon receiver and from there to the TV - all with HDMI
I noticed that the TV takes about 35 seconds to get from off to showing a picture.
For the record, with the same setup - my Sony KDL52 was on before the Denon switched to the correct input - < 5 secs.

I get that when I have the wireless configured and without - even after resetting to factory settings.

Does anyone else get that and / or have a solution?

I don't actually want or need the wireless streaming because I can stream via my Oppo - so i don't much care about having any sort of internet or apps on the TV.

Thanks!
post #635 of 720 Old 02-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabex View Post

I have my DirecTV receiver hooked up to a Denon receiver and from there to the TV - all with HDMI
I noticed that the TV takes about 35 seconds to get from off to showing a picture.
For the record, with the same setup - my Sony KDL52 was on before the Denon switched to the correct input - < 5 secs.......

Thanks!

I have the Model M3D651SV, same model series I think . I timed mine several times at 23 sec if I recall. I wanted to pin it down for programming a delay into my harmony remote. I seems to recall someone else with the 650 had about the same.

Rick
post #636 of 720 Old 02-21-2013, 03:15 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

For the record, with the same setup - my Sony KDL52 was on before the Denon switched to the correct input - < 5 secs.

I get that when I have the wireless configured and without - even after resetting to factory settings.

I don't actually want or need the wireless streaming because I can stream via my Oppo - so i don't much care about having any sort of internet or apps on the TV.

Thanks!

Mine took 37.5 seconds to go from off to showing a picture. The hdmi source was my cable box, going onto my Onkyo 609 receiver, which then went to my tv. I turned on the cable box and reciever about 10 seconds before my tv but the receiver was playing audio from the cable box before I turned on the tv.

It's annoying to have to wait so long but I wonder if it's in part an intentional delay? My phillips TV takes a little while to start up from cold but if you turn it off and back on it only takes around 5 seconds. My old Sony trinitron tube tv used to do the same thing.
post #637 of 720 Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 AM

The Vizio site states "120Hz Effective Refresh Rate with Smooth Motion for stunning clarity" What does that mean? Is it a 60Hz Refresh Rate with some manipulating to seem to be 120Hz? Would a true 120Hz Refresh Rate be better? And, since I am not that savvy about Refresh Rates, can someone direct me to a thread that might help me understand just what I need from an HDTV to enjoy the picture?
Thanks.
post #638 of 720 Old 02-22-2013, 11:09 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by saguaro48 View Post

The Vizio site states "120Hz Effective Refresh Rate with Smooth Motion for stunning clarity" What does that mean? Is it a 60Hz Refresh Rate with some manipulating to seem to be 120Hz? Would a true 120Hz Refresh Rate be better? And, since I am not that savvy about Refresh Rates, can someone direct me to a thread that might help me understand just what I need from an HDTV to enjoy the picture?
Thanks.

There is a setting on your TV in the advance setting mode. I believe it is called True Motion. The settings are Off, Low Middle, High. If you like the Soap Opera effect then leave it on. I only turn mine on for sports football basketball to help the picture so it doesn't blur as much. Most hate it for regular programming. Whenever I go to friends house I always change it with them not knowing haha.

Basically what it does is your tv has a 60hz signal coming in , it doubles it in the tv's processor when the refresh is turned on . It implements if you will and blends the picture together in a given scene to make up for the blurr on fast motion programing. Stuff moving across the screen quick.

When you watch regular programing it looks cartoonish and all smoothed out and mushy which I hate. I hope that helps. Maybe someone else can expand on this.
post #639 of 720 Old 02-22-2013, 03:40 PM

I just did a chat with VIZIO:

M3D550KDE is a native 120hz panel

E601i-A3 is a native 60hz panel

M650VSE is a native 120hz panel
post #640 of 720 Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 PM

Hey all,

It's been almost 5 years since I last bought my 42" Philips LCD from Costco. The tv still has a great picture and is running strong but I've really wanted something bigger. Ill be using the new tv for everyday tv, lots of sports, few blu rays, and xbox 360.I've browsed through this forum as well as others for similar TVs in this price range (sharp 60 and 70", e series vizios). I know the basics about all the TVs without diving deep in all the specs.

I went to Costco today to take a look at a few of the TVs, and this one specifically. I thought the picture looked good, nothing extraordinary but enjoyable Watching the content that was recycling their displays.... Then football came on. It was giving me a headache just trying to watch it! The football when in the air left a ghosting trail all the way across the field. The players felt really choppy when moving quickly.

I know there's different modes you can set the tv on, and calibration and all tag can be changed. But is this the norm for large "budget" TVs to have this sort of fast motion issues? I couldn't imagine spending any kind of money on a large screen if that was the kind of picture I was going to get. Any recent buyers have these concerns/validations I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks all!
post #641 of 720 Old 02-23-2013, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
The issue with motion blur and the bluring on the football is easily fixed in the set-up when you know what your doing.

Never trust the store settings and never trust the setting you mess with while in the store ... you'll never get em' right.

Now football IS Bad on this TV but it's not the blurring or ghosting it's the banding ... That will be the killer when it come to sports.

Other then that the TV is not all that bad for the price ... I ultimately went with the E-Series 70" and though is has a small issue or tow it is WAY nicer then this tv for the extra few hundred bucks ... not to mention the extra 5"
post #642 of 720 Old 02-23-2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

The issue with motion blur and the bluring on the football is easily fixed in the set-up when you know what your doing.

Never trust the store settings and never trust the setting you mess with while in the store ... you'll never get em' right.

Now football IS Bad on this TV but it's not the blurring or ghosting it's the banding ... That will be the killer when it come to sports.

Other then that the TV is not all that bad for the price ... I ultimately went with the E-Series 70" and though is has a small issue or tow it is WAY nicer then this tv for the extra few hundred bucks ... not to mention the extra 5"

I appreciate the reply. I would prefer to get the 70" myself. Where and how much did you pay? What are the issues you've encountered with the e-series?
post #643 of 720 Old 02-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlariah View Post

I appreciate the reply. I would prefer to get the 70" myself. Where and how much did you pay? What are the issues you've encountered with the e-series?

If you're in a hurry, you might want to check out the Vizio M3D651SV - 65inch. I think you can still get it from BB, Walmart, Sams and a few other places for under $1700. It has many of the specs of the 2013 M series, including the local dimming and 240hz - 4 hdmi inputs. But it doesn't have the narrow bezel design. And the screen is glossy similar to plasmas. CNET review was so-so, PCMag review was fairly positive. Most user reviews were positive.

rick
post #644 of 720 Old 02-23-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post

If you're in a hurry, you might want to check out the Vizio M3D651SV - 65inch. I think you can still get it from BB, Walmart, Sams and a few other places for under $1700. It has many of the specs of the 2013 M series, including the local dimming and 240hz - 4 hdmi inputs. But it doesn't have the narrow bezel design. And the screen is glossy similar to plasmas. CNET review was so-so, PCMag review was fairly positive. Most user reviews were positive.

rick

I saw thar today actuslly when i was om costcos website. I think it was around 1650 . It has a lot of bells and whistles that im not interested in, just want grest pq. Ill check it out
post #645 of 720 Old 02-23-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlariah View Post

I got it a couple weeks ago when it was on sale for $1550 .... I think its going right now for like 1620 (still a stellar deal even at that price).

Only two issues .... in the screen it's what I would call 'dirty' .... kinda like what you see with banding .... you know when the camera pans say on a whitish screen or skies you can see the picture move behind this dirty screen kinda look ... but this is ony in one little spot in the middle left ... everywhere else is fine ... but I gotta say it does bug me ... Now this 65" Vizio is FAR More Horrible with that ... the banding is a thousand times more distracting then this one little spot in my 70"

And the viewing angles are pretty rough ... looking at this screen dead on or at a slight angle is absolutely beautiful ... but when sitting way off tot he edge it may the worst I have ever seen.

I would Never in a million years go back to this 65" ... But I am not 100% satisfied with my 70" ... but it's in my opinion FAR superior in PQ then this 65"

I am hoping this new M-Series that was announced by Vizio will make it way to Costco before April (that's when my 90 day return kicks in) .... Now THAT just may be the new winner in TV's from Vizio.
post #646 of 720 Old 02-24-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

Just an update. I switched my cabling so that my DVD goes direct to the TV (HDMI) and I get the same delays, so its not related to my receiver setup.
I also tried connecting to both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 inputs so seems unlikely to be input related.
post #647 of 720 Old 02-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just an update. I switched my cabling so that my DVD goes direct to the TV (HDMI) and I get the same delays, so its not related to my receiver setup.
I also tried connecting to both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 inputs so seems unlikely to be input related.

I would suggest contacting Vizio customer support and see what they say. My M651SV is pretty consistent at about 22-23 sec.

Rick
post #648 of 720 Old 02-24-2013, 02:14 PM

In your opinion is 22-23 seconds acceptable?
This is my first LED so I am not sure what's normal - i never timed my LCD simply because the Denon was always the slowest part....
post #649 of 720 Old 02-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is my first LED so I am not sure what's normal - i never timed my LCD simply because the Denon was always the slowest part....

this is my first LED as well. My previous set was a 65in RPCRT. I initially felt like it was slow but it doesn't bother me now. I know it has to load up some software to process the picture. I don't have experience with other LEDs to know how they compare.

Rick
post #650 of 720 Old 02-24-2013, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The E-Series out right now at the same time has half the load the time this TV does.

I have had both and this M650 drove me NUTS waiting for it to start.

Newer smart TV's are just slower to boot up but this one was unbearable.
post #651 of 720 Old 02-26-2013, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

After three 60"601i-A3 with lip sinc issue and uniformity issues in both white and black level got a M650VSE. All e"s I have had were post recall units. But one continued to turn itself off time to time.
Actually found it a better TV overal than the E series.

Better build quality as well as PQ. Sample I got has excellent black level with good uniformity and banding looks faint and better than my e's.
Already gone thru some gray scale set up and tracks the 65 K very well. My e's had a green tint that I couln't get rid of but this M really shines in color.
Internal speakers sound considerably better that the 60"E as well.

I timed the start up time at 35". My E timed 20". My Panny plasma 3". While 35' is too high it is not really a good reason for me to return the set.
Love it so far.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #652 of 720 Old 02-27-2013, 04:52 PM

Just unboxed the m650vse and the damn ir sensor is dead on the TV. The ir emitter on the remote is firing as I looked through a camera..... anyone else expierence this problem?
post #653 of 720 Old 02-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Yes, look back for previous posts of mine. I have mine connected to a Denon AVR891. The first one they insisted to replace, waited for the Jan 4 firmware update, no better, just discovered they gave me a refurb and am now waiting for a supposedly new in box replacement.

The TV takes 30-90 seconds to startup up and is unresponsive to the remote for as much as a minute while it apparently is negotiating HDMI settings with the Denon AVR891. It finally powers up the receiver to the correct input. About 30 seconds to a minute after that, it erroneously tells the Denon to switch the input to TV even though the TV is set to HDMI for input. I'm pretty darned sure it's not the Denon as I have the SAME AVR891connected to a Vizio XVDT650SV that operates correctly and had this SAME AVR891 connected to a Vizio M55NV before "upgrading" to the M650VSE.

Quote:

Thanks!
post #654 of 720 Old 02-28-2013, 03:33 PM

Liked: 12
Does anyone have tv calibrated settings for ps3 with ps3 set to RGB full?
post #655 of 720 Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Update: Vizio support tells me this is because the internet apps have to start up - and 35 seconds is not unusual. i deleted all the apps I could and it shaved 3 seconds off.

Generally I like the TV - think i will just learn to live with the delay.....
post #656 of 720 Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 PM

Liked: 23
This is the new replacement model for Vizio. MSRP is $1370, but I don't think anyone is selling it yet. There were so many bugs in the 60" version, I am hoping this new 65" will be relatively perfected.

E650I-A2

http://store.vizio.com/led-lcd-hdtvs/e650ia2.html
post #657 of 720 Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchFlorida View Post

This is the new replacement model for Vizio. MSRP is $1370, but I don't think anyone is selling it yet. There were so many bugs in the 60" version, I am hoping this new 65" will be relatively perfected.

E650I-A2

http://store.vizio.com/led-lcd-hdtvs/e650ia2.html

This one will be a real winner for one reason .... Read LED and not Edge-lit

Vizio said all there TV's we're all going to be edge-lit form now on ... interesting.

This will be a kick ass TV I bet for under 1,300

Gonna have to keep an eye on this .... the new M-Series is the one I Want BAD (70" model
post #658 of 720 Old 03-01-2013, 04:13 AM

Liked: 23
On that same page it says the Vizio brand has the highest satisfaction rating of any HDTV manufacturer.

J.D. Power and Associates 2012 High Definition Television (HDTV) Satisfaction Report℠. Report based on responses from 1,009 consumers measuring 8 brands and measures opinions of consumers who purchased an HDTV in the last 12 months. Proprietary study results are based on experiences and perceptions of consumers surveyed August 2012. Your experiences may vary. Visit www.jdpower.com.

After reading this thread and those on Amazon for their new 60" model it is hard to believe. Not that many satisfied people on these threads, or am I wrong?

the 60" seems to have been a real fiasco.
post #659 of 720 Old 03-08-2013, 10:47 AM

Liked: 12
Hello. Is there an official thread for the M3D651SV. I looked, didn't see one. We just bought this the other day. Looks great, yet there are a few shows that just dont look as they should. Kinda like what i would explain as color morphing. Seems to happen with greens more than anything. We have DTV with a HR34. All components running into my Yamaha RX1000, including, HR34, PS3, 360, Blue Ray player. All sent back to M3D651SV via HDMI 3D Monster cable (needed longer one to reach side of the TV). Anyways, messed with some settings here and there, yet really didn't see much of a change. I read this entire thread and its all about the 650 it appears, hence why im looking for an official on the 651SV to see what others have done. Oh and using ARC, which thus far is working good.

Thanks Guys for your time
post #660 of 720 Old 03-08-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have your set but I think you are talking about lack of good contrast. On mine I had to set the backlit lower than ususal and turned off all the second page options off.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio 65 Inch Razor Led Smart Fhdtv M650vse , Vizio , Led Hdtv , Samsung 65 Inch Class Smart Tv 3d Slim Led Hdtv Un65es6500
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page