List of HDTV's with 120Hz native refresh ability (forcing 1080p@120Hz via DVI or HDMI from computer) - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 11-09-2013, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok so I moved my PC down to my TV room today and tried to see what I could make happen.

My TV is a Panasonic 65ST50 - this is done over a high speed HDMI cable.

at 1920x1080 I bumped up the refresh rate to 62Hz. That's it. Anything more was not accepted.

At 1280x720 I thought I had more success. I did get what I thought was 120Hz, and it was verified by the tool over on HardForums
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1423433

However when I loaded into a game even though it was showing 120FPS with VSync enabled there was still some skipping or stutter.

I believe that I was in 3D mode only while on my desktop and the tv forced it to 2D when a game loaded.

I attempted 2 methods of OC'ing.
1) EVGA Precision
2) MonitorTests patching the driver and then creating a Custom resolution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 11-12-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logun View Post

However when I loaded into a game even though it was showing 120FPS with VSync enabled there was still some skipping or stutter.
Certain games have poor fluidity.
Which games did you try? Did you try several different games?

Also, a newer/easier frame skipping tool: www.testufo.com/frameskipping

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

post #33 of 39 Old 11-12-2013, 08:10 PM

I tried Borderlands 1 and 2 and both were the same - not an experience anyone would enjoy.

I'll give it another go and test with that tool, but something must have been amiss as even the resolution of 1280x720 didn't quite fit the screen properly.
post #34 of 39 Old 06-25-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thumbs up

E601i-A3 - Perfect 120hz at 1920x1080 via HDMI. 4:4:4 chroma also.

I've been in love with this TV since day 1.. great value for the money, now its going to be even harder to upgrade because I'm going to have to find a larger true 120hz display down the road.

I verified no frames are dropped with the tools at blurbusters.com, but its instantly apparant. The mouse glides smoothly across the screen, and in games everything is so much crisper and clear when moving. It has really upped my abilities in first person shooters as there is no perceptable ghosting or input lag. Racing games are great too.
For years I've missed CRT, no more!
post #35 of 39 Old 06-26-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripKidd View Post
E601i-A3 - Perfect 120hz at 1920x1080 via HDMI. 4:4:4 chroma also.

I've been in love with this TV since day 1.. great value for the money, now its going to be even harder to upgrade because I'm going to have to find a larger true 120hz display down the road.

I verified no frames are dropped with the tools at blurbusters.com, but its instantly apparant. The mouse glides smoothly across the screen, and in games everything is so much crisper and clear when moving. It has really upped my abilities in first person shooters as there is no perceptable ghosting or input lag. Racing games are great too.
For years I've missed CRT, no more!
This surprises me. I had thought that the earlier E series were frame dropping; is this something that was fixed with the A3?

Using Artificial Life algorithms, I created a bunch of creatures and let them evolve on my system. Over the years they gained intelligence, a society, and quite a few interesting abilities. However, using the rules from their world, they concluded that I did not exist. So I created a special creature meant to spread the Word about Me with amazing magical abilities that only He had. Went well, until they decided to nail the poor Guy to a tree.
post #36 of 39 Old 06-28-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
This surprises me. I had thought that the earlier E series were frame dropping; is this something that was fixed with the A3?
I've got no idea about the E series, but I can 100% confirm this TV is not dropping frames. I was able to get it working both with my NVidia GTX 570 and with a little more work, my AMD R9 290.

I tested with this website http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping and a camera capable of taking 120FPS video and it came out perfect, although as I said its immediately apparent.
post #37 of 39 Old 06-28-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripKidd View Post
I've got no idea about the E series, but I can 100% confirm this TV is not dropping frames. I was able to get it working both with my NVidia GTX 570 and with a little more work, my AMD R9 290.

I tested with this website http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping and a camera capable of taking 120FPS video and it came out perfect, although as I said its immediately apparent.
"Immediately apparent" is something that I disregard from folks right away, because I've heard that before even on TVs that were frame dropping like crazy. It's too hard to turn off the part of you looking for improvement.

However, I don't doubt your finding, I'm just interested in when precisely Vizio-E's started working with this. When you used your 120 Hz video, did you step through each frame carefully afterward? Mark actually suggests using a standard camera set at a large (1/5th second) exposure for that particular test.

Using Artificial Life algorithms, I created a bunch of creatures and let them evolve on my system. Over the years they gained intelligence, a society, and quite a few interesting abilities. However, using the rules from their world, they concluded that I did not exist. So I created a special creature meant to spread the Word about Me with amazing magical abilities that only He had. Went well, until they decided to nail the poor Guy to a tree.
post #38 of 39 Old 06-28-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
"Immediately apparent" is something that I disregard from folks right away, because I've heard that before even on TVs that were frame dropping like crazy. It's too hard to turn off the part of you looking for improvement.

However, I don't doubt your finding, I'm just interested in when precisely Vizio-E's started working with this. When you used your 120 Hz video, did you step through each frame carefully afterward? Mark actually suggests using a standard camera set at a large (1/5th second) exposure for that particular test.
I just uploaded the video to youtube. Be aware that the 120FPS recording on my phone (galaxy S5) is not synced to the refresh rate of the TV of course, so that causes some off effects, and the stuttering visible in the youtube reincoded version of the video doesn't happen when I play it back directly on my phone. Besides that, you can see that no squares are skipped.

Edit: Here, this shows it well -

Last edited by TripKidd; 06-28-2014 at 09:47 AM.
post #39 of 39 Old 06-28-2014, 02:02 PM

For anyone else who wants to set this up, this is pretty much what I did here: http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/ using the AMD driver patcher to allow higher refresh rates from here http://120hz.net/showthread.php?270-...-refresh-rates

I was able to create refreshrates above 120hz, I tried 125, 133, and 140, and even though the "Info" menu in the TV settings showed that it was at the higher rates, frames dropped and any on screen motion was jerky, so it looks like 120 is the maximum actual refresh rate.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E3d420vx 42 Passive 3d Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50
Gear in this thread