THE best LED TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Going to go out this week-end and look at TV's. I'm leaning toward LED, after thinking I wanted the Panosonic ST50. I don't want to mess with IR issues which it seems there is alot of complaints out there. Seems you have to be lucky to get just the right set. Anyway....what do you all think I might look at in LED???? CNet lists the Vizio M3DOKD series as really good, but what else might there be? I know they also list the Sony HX850, but I now have an SXRD rear projection which finally has the dreaded "green screen" after owning it for 6 years, and I'm really leery of Sony TV's now. I'm looking for a 50-55" screen to be used just for TV and movie watching. Thanks for any ideas!

Panasonic GT50 55"
Oppo 103 Blu-Ray Player
Denon 2112CI AVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam13 View Post

Going to go out this week-end and look at TV's. I'm leaning toward LED, after thinking I wanted the Panosonic ST50. I don't want to mess with IR issues which it seems there is alot of complaints out there. Seems you have to be lucky to get just the right set. Anyway....what do you all think I might look at in LED???? CNet lists the Vizio M3DOKD series as really good, but what else might there be? I know they also list the Sony HX850, but I now have an SXRD rear projection which finally has the dreaded "green screen" after owning it for 6 years, and I'm really leery of Sony TV's now. I'm looking for a 50-55" screen to be used just for TV and movie watching. Thanks for any ideas!

You might want to take a look at the Sony KDL55HX750. I have the 46inch version and its an excellent set no matter what Cnet may say or think. Or I would take a look at the Panasonic sets which though they may be plasma they are excellent as well. In my book those would be the choices I would make and by the way the Sony HX850 sets are also very good. The HX750 and HX850 sets are LED/3D.

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 09:00 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

if 3D is not important, you may go bigger size 60EX645 compare to 55HX750
http://tv-compare.blogspot.com/2012/11/kdl-60ex645-vs-kdl-55hx750.html
post #4 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

3-D is not at all important to me. In the room I will be putting it I really don't want to go bigger than 55", and I don't want to go smaller then 50". My Sony SXRD I have now is 50". I lean toward Plasma because I like the picture quality, but I'm afraid of the IR issues I keep hearing about. I was at Walmart the other day and noticed some of their LED's, and a couple had really nice PQ. Walmart didn't carry the LED I was wanting to see.....think I need to go to Best Buy or HH Gregg. I'm very leery of Sony......like I said when I bought the SXRD I was told "this set will last forever, and all you have to do is replace the projection bulb every so often". So I paid over $2000 for it, and I've really enjoyed the set up until now, until I started hearing about the defective optical blocks in them. So I've been waiting for it to happen to mine. Replaced the bulb about 4-5 months ago and sure enough, the defect finally happened. So...I'm really hesitant to sink money into another TV of theirs, even though it seems to be a really good one. Mine was touted as a "really great TV" and it was until the optical block failure. I'm digressing here!!!!.........I'm leaning toward the LED's, and want to know what all of you out there find is a really nice LED with super nice PQ. Does Sony seem to be the top one like the HX750/850 you've both mentioned???

Panasonic GT50 55"
Oppo 103 Blu-Ray Player
Denon 2112CI AVR
post #5 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:

3-D is not at all important to me. In the room I will be putting it I really don't want to go bigger than 55", and I don't want to go smaller then 50". My Sony SXRD I have now is 50". I lean toward Plasma because I like the picture quality, but I'm afraid of the IR issues I keep hearing about. I was at Walmart the other day and noticed some of their LED's, and a couple had really nice PQ. Walmart didn't carry the LED I was wanting to see.....think I need to go to Best Buy or HH Gregg. I'm very leery of Sony......like I said when I bought the SXRD I was told "this set will last forever, and all you have to do is replace the projection bulb every so often". So I paid over $2000 for it, and I've really enjoyed the set up until now, until I started hearing about the defective optical blocks in them. So I've been waiting for it to happen to mine. Replaced the bulb about 4-5 months ago and sure enough, the defect finally happened. So...I'm really hesitant to sink money into another TV of theirs, even though it seems to be a really good one. Mine was touted as a "really great TV" and it was until the optical block failure. I'm digressing here!!!!.........I'm leaning toward the LED's, and want to know what all of you out there find is a really nice LED with super nice PQ. Does Sony seem to be the top one like the HX750/850 you've both mentioned???

The top on Sony's high end tv's is the XBR HX950 with the HX850 and HX750 following right behind. Those are Sony's top 3 for 2012 and according to some "expert" websites the HX850 runs toe to toe with the HX950. If your really set on really nice LED and super nice PQ go with either the HX850 or HX750 OR if you have a little more money the XBR 950 is also a really nice set.

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

The Sony HX950 is a little more than I'm wanting to pay. I really want to keep it between $1500-1700. What might be in that price range that's has nice PQ and is 50-55" that any of you may know of? I think Sony puts premium prices on their tv's because they still think they are the premium maker....just my opinion! Is the Vizio OKD series a contender in your opinion?? Don't know anything about Vizio. I always thought it's a lower end tv, but maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for any help!

Panasonic GT50 55"
Oppo 103 Blu-Ray Player
Denon 2112CI AVR
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page