OFFICIAL Samsung Smart Hub Fiasco Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 70 Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I felt compeled to share my horrible experience with samsung customer support after finding out something was wrong with my brand new 2012 smart tv. (UN46ES7500) I'm a Sofware Engineer by trade, so I do have my share of knowledge when it comes to the subject.

So Here's what I found out about the Samsung Smart Hub Interface:
It does NOT SUPPORT 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS Surround Sound output at all for Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu, Etc. Eventhough those services claim 5.1 sound on their respective interface thru SmartHub. It doesn't matter if you are using HDMI or SPDIF/Optical, nor PCM/Dolby Digital Audio output settings going to your Home Theater.

It all started when I was trying to watch a movie on smarthub on netflix with a 5.1 audio track. My home theater was detecting Stereo only and upmixing to ProLogic II. So I decided to watch the same movie on Amazon thru SmartHub. Same deal stereo only...So I turn my PS3 on, and walah...No problem 5.1 surround sound crystal clear with the same movie on Netflix and Amazon on my PS3.

So these 2012 Samsungs Smart TVs do output 5.1 surround sound (DD/PCM) thru optical or hdmi, but NEVER when using SMARTHUB INTERFACE....UNACCEPTABLE!

Please we all need to contact SAMSUNG, NETFLIX, AMAZON VIDEO and complain about this. A new firmware needs to come out ASAP for such an idiotic issue. Below is a chat I had with the Incompetent samsung customer service reps...I finally got to speak to a supervisor to get a clear explanation. Pretty comical too smile.gif

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Scott'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56401991727X

Scott: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?

Visitor: I have the UN46ES7500 smart HDTV...I AM NOT GETTING 5.1 Dolby digital SURROUnd sound being output from my SPDIF/Optical port....please help...

Scott: I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issue with the TV.

Scott: May I know the Input source that are connected to the TV?

Scott: Please click on the link below and try to follow the instructions on SPDIF settings:

Scott: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=391506&modelname=&modelcode=&session_id=&from_osc=

Scott: Are you able to access the link above?

Visitor: hold on\

Scott: Sure, please go ahead.

Visitor: Im trying to watch OTA, Netflix, and AMzon Prime all support 5.1 SURROUND sound....I have it being output from SPDIF/Optical to my 5.1 surround sound reciever....

Scott: I I understand your concern.

Visitor: the link you gave me, i already tried that...

Scott: Thanks for confirming.

Visitor: its just dolby digital vs PCM

Visitor: I NEED TO BE 5.1 DD, not stereo DD

Scott: Does this happen on all inputs (like DVD and cable box)?

Visitor: NO....

Visitor: the netflix and amazon prime video is built in the smart tv

Visitor: thru smart hub

Visitor: they both support 5.1 surround sound

Scott: Would you mind holding a few minutes while I gather the required information for your request?

Visitor: so does over the air broacast

Visitor: yes, i can hold

Scott: Thank you.

Scott: Thanks for holding.

Scott: I am sorry for the delay.

Scott: Please click on the link below and try to follow:

Scott: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00000636&fm_seq=804

Scott: Are you able to access the link above?

Visitor: hold on

Scott: Sure, please go ahead.

Visitor: yes i can see...

Visitor: so why is it not outputing 5.1 dolby digital?

Scott: Did you connected home theater to the TV?

Visitor: yes

Visitor: via optical

Scott: Thanks for confirming.

Scott: Did you selected the source as external speakers?

Visitor: I tried both..i tried external and tv speakers...only comes out in dolby digital stereo(2 channed) not 5.1

Scott: You need to select the source as external speakers on the TV.

Visitor: ok so thats the only way then?

Scott: Please go ahead and check if the same issue persists.

Visitor: so the UN46ES7500 does indeed support 5.1 dolby digital over optical/spdif....correct?

Scott: If you want to hear sound from 5.1 speakers then you need to use the home theater.

Visitor: I KNOW that........duh...but it does pass thru 5.1 dobly digital thru the optical output, correct?

Scott: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

Scott: When you connect the home theater to the TV with the optical cable then you will get sound from 2 speakers.

Visitor: i get sound from my home theather, but not in 5.1 surrounnd sound...

Scott: If you want to hear the sound from the 5.1 dobly digital thru the home theater then you need to connect the home theater to Input device via optical cable.

Scott: Are connecting cable box to the TV?

Visitor: but the TV is the input device

Visitor: have you listened to one word that i said? with all due respect

Scott: I understand your concern.

Visitor: I have my tv directly connected to my home theater via optical

Visitor: forget about cable boxes, dvd players, or ps3s. or xbox

Scott: If you using the cable box then you need to connect the home theater to the cable box via optical cable and then connect the cable box to the TV.

Visitor: forget bout cable boxes

Visitor: im using OVER THE AIR channels

Visitor: using netflix built into smart hub

Visitor: i want the optical sound to be in 5'1 dolby digital not stereo

Scott: May I know the model number of the home theater?

Visitor: my home theater supports 5.1 dolby digital...

Visitor: thats not the problem

Scott: Please press pl II button on the home theater.

Visitor: please connect me to your supervisor....pro logic 2 is not 5.1 dolby digital...

Scott: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Visitor: ill be waiting

Scott: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.

Scott: May I know the current firmware version on the TV?

Visitor: the latest one...

Visitor: i check for that freqently

Scott: The TV does not decode the signal from an HDMI source the Dolby Digital option will not be available from any HDMI sources.

Scott:

Scott:

Scott: The SPDIF Output allows you to select the audio format that you would like to output the sound from your TV, PCM or Dolby Digital. However, there are restrictions on when the Dolby Digital signal is allowed to be selected. The Dolby Digital Audio format is only available to be selected when the TV is decoding the Dolby Digital signal. This means that there will only be two instances when you will be able to select Dolby Digital as your output audio format.

Scott: 1. When the TV is receiving an ATSC or QAM channel that is carrying the Dolby Digital track.

Scott: 2. When the TV is using a streaming service, such as Amazon VOD, Vudu, Hulu, etc. that has a Dolby Digital track.

Visitor: i know all that..but its outputing in stereo dolby digital...not 5.1...

Scott: I'm sorry to inform you that; the TV will produce 5.1 surround sound if the source is RF cable or direct cable.

Visitor: SO why isnt sending 5.1 Dolby digital out then?\

Scott: As the source for the TV is air/antenaa connection, the TV will not produce 5.1 surround sound.

Visitor: ok...fine...how do you explain then netflix not sending out 5.1 dolby digital output thru the optical?

Visitor: or amazon video?

Scott: The Netflix has the capability of sending 5.1 surround sound, if that partuicular video has 5.1 surround sound capability then you will be able to get audio from Netflix videos also.

Visitor: the videos from netflix have 5.1 dolby digital tracks

Visitor: so do the ones from amazon

Scott: It depends on the app you stream. The TV will produce only 5.1 surround sound depending on the source.

Scott: If they have 5.1 surround sound you will get 5.1 surround sound from home theater speakers not from the TV.

Scott: If you are connecting optical cable from optical OUT on the TV to optical IN on the Home theater and if you connect any input device like Xbox or Cable box or PS3 to the TV with HDMI or component cables then TV will send out only 2.1 channel sound.

Scott: If you are connecting antenna cable to ANT IN port on the TV and if the source on the TV is TV mode then TV will be capable to send 5.1 channel sound.

Visitor: so why is the TV not outputing the signal in 5.1 Dolby digital? its only sending 2 channels (stereo)

Scott: TV will send out 5.1 channel sound only when you connect RF connection to the TV.

Scott: If the source on the TV is HDMI or component then TV will send out only 2.1 channel sound. If you would like to get 5.1 DTS digital sound from the home theater connect the optical cable from input device to the home theater.

Scott: The TV can output 5.1 channel surround sound through the optical out port only if the TV is tuning the signal, i.e when it is connected to the antenna or direct cable(without box).

Visitor: please just answer YES or NO.... I have a netflix movie to stream from smart hub....it has 5.1 sourround sound dolby digital tracck....so why it isnt sending the 5.1 sound to my hometheater?

Scott: The TVs have only 2 speakers and so they can produce 2.1 sound from the TV speakers. However, if you connect a Home Theater which has 5.1 and if the channel supports 5.1 than you will be able to produce 5.1 sound from the Home Theater not from the TV speakers.

Visitor: does the tv optical output support 5.1 dolby digital OUTPUT if netflix or amazon have a 5.1 track, yes or no?

Scott: Yes, it supports. But, the particular video should support 5.1 channels.

Visitor: ok...so why isn't my TV sending 5.1 dolby digital out then?

Scott: The TV will not produce 5.1, the home theater will produce 5.1 surround sound. If you connect a Home Theater which has 5.1 and if the channel supports 5.1 than you will be able to produce 5.1 sound from the Home Theater not from the TV speakers.

Visitor: false....the tv will send 5.1 surround sound dolby digital out from the optical...

Scott: Please try to connect the home theater to the TV via optical cable and play Blu-ray disc which has 5.1 track and check for the result.

Visitor: that tells me right there, you dont know what you are talking about....please just transfer me to on of ur supervisors now..this is getting aggrevation

Scott: If you connect any device through HDMI or any other port, in that case, the TV will output 2 channel audio(stereo) through the Optical out port.

Scott: The best option is to connect the surround sound system directly to the Cable Box through an optical/HDMI cable and set audio output on cable box as bitstream so that you can get surround sound, instead of passing the audio through the TV.

Visitor: you arte missing the point...i have the smart hub..i have netflix and amazon video...they are not sending 5.1 out when they should....

Scott: I'm sorry for the inconvenience. The TV can output 5.1 channel surround sound through the optical out port only if the TV is tuning the signal, i.e when it is connected to the antenna or direct cable(without box).

Visitor: please stop cut and pasting non sense...im an engineer by trade...

Visitor: just connect me to a supervisoer

Scott: I'm sorry; if the videos have 5.1 track you will surely get audio from home theatre but not from the TV.

Visitor: they are not...nothings wronf with the home theater...my ps3s 5.1 sounnd works fine with my home theather...

Visitor: please connect me to a supervisor

Visitor: now...

Visitor: so does my cable box.....

Visitor: no 5.1 sound from netflix nor amazon via smart hub

Scott: Sure. Can you hold while I transfer this chat to my supervisor?

Visitor: yes finally, thank you

Please wait while I transfer the chat to 'Dylan D'.

You are now chatting with 'Dylan D'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56401991727X

Dylan D: Let me quickly go through the chat conversation.

Visitor: ok thank you\

Dylan D: You are welcome.

Dylan D: I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Visitor: do you understand what my problem is? apparently the previous agent scott did not...

Dylan D: I have complete understanding on the issue.

Visitor: before we go on, there is absolutely nothing worng with my home theather...i get 5.1 Dolby Digital signal to my home theather via optical from my ps3 and hd cable box....

Visitor: but no 5.1 from tv's spdif output jack

Dylan D: TV will send 5.1 dolby digital from optical audio out port on the TV to the receiver or home theater system if the source on the TV is set to TV (Cable or AIR). If other devices are connected to the TV like cable box with a HDMI cable to the TV, optical port on the TV delivers 2.1 channel surround sound to the receiver.

Dylan D: TV delivers 5.1 channel surround sound through the optical port only when the source is set to TV. If other sources are connected or input devices are connected to the TV, it emits only 2.1 channel surround sound from the optical port.

Dylan D: Audio out port on the TV emits only 2.1 channel surround sound.

Dylan D: TV has two internal speakers and it has the capability to deliver 2.1 channel surround sound. However, when you connect any home theater system to the TV using antenna, then TV will be able to send out 5.1 channel surround sound to the home theater.

Visitor: ok..i have netflix and amazon video thru smart hub....the movies are encoded in 5.1 dolby digital...why it doesn't send 5.1 out?

Dylan D: It is not possible to get 5.1 channel surround from the TV speakers.

Visitor: i know thats...forget about the tv speakers....

Dylan D: I understand the situation. TV has the capability of sending 5.1 channel surround sound to the receiver. You will hear 2.1 channel surround sound from the apps content as audio is delivered from TV's audio out to the receiver.

Visitor: but why?

Visitor: why is nelfix or amzon apps doing that? the content is in 5.1 sound

Dylan D: Optical audio out port emits 5.1 channel surround sound only when the source is set to antenna. If you try to access same apps on Blu-ray player connected to receiver or Home Theater with Blu-ray, you will hear 5.1 channel surround sound. But from the TVs, it is not possible to get 5.1 channel surround sound when you watch Netflix or Amazon videos.

Visitor: wow.. reallly? that sucks

Dylan D: I am really sorry for the inconvenience.

Visitor: what kinda effing smart tv is that then?

Dylan D: However, if you are using Samsung Home theater then there is an option to convert the 2.1 channel sound to 5.1 channel sound.

Visitor: so everybody that owns a smart tv cannot watch netflix or amazon video in 5.1 sound?

Dylan D: Are you using Samsung Home theater?

Visitor: u know better than that converting 2.1 to 5.1 is a gimmick...nothing beats straight 5.1 dolby digital

Visitor: so is netflix and amzon aware of that? why would they bother offer 5.1 sound on smart hub>?

Dylan D: We do not have the information regarding Netflix and Amzon.

Visitor: dont you think thats a bit odd that i can use those apps in 5.1 surround?

Visitor: can't

Dylan D: I really understand the situation from your standpoint.

Visitor: what if i use an HDMI cable to my home theather, will those apps signal be 5.1?

Visitor: or is that just an optical/spdif issue?

Visitor: or is the apps issue only

Dylan D: If you connect the HDMI cable also TV is not capable to send 5.1 channel sound.

Visitor: even in PCM?

Dylan D: Yes, you are correct.

Visitor: WOW...

Dylan D: Even in PCM mode TV will not be able to send 5.1 channel sound.

Visitor: so the issue is not hdmi or spdif ports...

Dylan D: Yes, the issue is not with the HDMI or Spdif ports.

Visitor: the issue is is thats those apps in the samsung smart hub wont send 5.1 sound

Dylan D: Yes, you are correct.

Visitor: again thats very odd...

Dylan D: I am really sorry for the inconvenience.

Visitor: even tho my ps3 sends 5.1 sound in netfilx and amazon

Dylan D: In TV audio settings you will be able to have the options PCM, Dolby digital.

Dylan D: Dolby digital can be enabled only in TV source.

Dylan D: If you connect the optical cable from the input device to the Home theater then you can get the 5.1 channel surround sound

Visitor: i know all that...

Visitor: will there be a firmware in the future to fix this?

Visitor: this smart hub really sux....

Dylan D: As of now there is no firmware update for this.

Visitor: the whole user interface sux too...i love samsung products.....but WOW...

Dylan D: However, we will forward your suggestion to our appropriate department so that our engineers might work with this issue.

Visitor: HECK YES, PLEASE DO SEND THAT...why should i pay for netflix and amazon video if i can't watch this movies in 5.1 sound?

Dylan D: Sure, we will forward your suggestion to our appropriate department.

Dylan D: However, please check with the Netflix support and Amazon support if there are any settings at their end.

Dylan D: Also check if there is any option in the Home theater.

Visitor: i think this a samsung smart hub problem...i watch the same movies via neflix and amazon video via PS3 in crystal clear 5.1 surround sound with no issues at all...

Visitor: not a home theather issues either...converting stereo signals to pro logic 2 is so late 90's

Visitor: thats a joke...

Dylan D: We will forward this to our appropriate department.

Visitor: please do dylan....i appreciate your help...do you have a samsung smart tv? would you be happy with this issue?

Dylan D: Thanks for your patience and understanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 11-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Also posted in the ES8000 thread -- I get 5.1 from SmartHub apps (I use Amazon Instant Video and have used VuDu). Just reconfirmed by checking an HD stream with 5.1 from Amazon from the TV and my AVR is receiving 5.1 channels. TV is ES8000.
post #3 of 70 Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt99 View Post

Also posted in the ES8000 thread -- I get 5.1 from SmartHub apps (I use Amazon Instant Video and have used VuDu). Just reconfirmed by checking an HD stream with 5.1 from Amazon from the TV and my AVR is receiving 5.1 channels. TV is ES8000.

I dont know bro....I have the 7500 and no 5.1 sound using smart hub...even the samsung customer rep confirmed it......

he told me that the entire smart hub user interface is only outputing in 2 channels(stereo) both via HDMI or SPDIF/Optical, no difference either way. These are the FACTS... SADLY frown.gif

Some people think that a stereo signal being upconverted/mixed to Pro Logic II is the same as 5.1 Dolby Digital or 5.1 DTS...It's like night and day. Big Difference....Apples and Oranges... are you 100% positive that u are not getting Pro Logic II conversion instead? thats what I'm getting, not the the crystal clear 5.1 DD/DTS...
post #4 of 70 Old 11-12-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeaverouX View Post

I dont know bro....I have the 7500 and no 5.1 sound using smart hub...even the samsung customer rep confirmed it......
he told me that the entire smart hub user interface is only outputing in 2 channels(stereo) both via HDMI or SPDIF/Optical, no difference either way. These are the FACTS... SADLY frown.gif
Some people think that a stereo signal being upconverted/mixed to Pro Logic II is the same as 5.1 Dolby Digital or 5.1 DTS...It's like night and day. Big Difference....Apples and Oranges... are you 100% positive that u are not getting Pro Logic II conversion instead? thats what I'm getting, not the the crystal clear 5.1 DD/DTS...

I am 100% sure my AVR is receiving 5.1 channels - it is not a PLIIx conversion. Not only is the sound difference obvious (as you point out), but my AVR display indicates the number of channels being received from any source. I was really happy to see Amazon Instant Video added to SmartHub because, due to quirks in my own set up I discuss in the ES8000 thread, I could previously only access AIV through my xBox, and my xBox doesn't have an audio feed direct to my AVR, so I was relying on the TV's audio out to get xBox sound (fed to panel via HDMI) to my AVR -- and I was limited to 2 channels in that instance.

As your lengthy chat shows, I don't know how much faith I'd put into the customer rep statements -- it's pretty apparent they don't really understand their own technology.
post #5 of 70 Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am 100% sure my AVR is receiving 5.1 channels - it is not a PLIIx conversion. Not only is the sound difference obvious (as you point out), but my AVR display indicates the number of channels being received from any source. I was really happy to see Amazon Instant Video added to SmartHub because, due to quirks in my own set up I discuss in the ES8000 thread, I could previously only access AIV through my xBox, and my xBox doesn't have an audio feed direct to my AVR, so I was relying on the TV's audio out to get xBox sound (fed to panel via HDMI) to my AVR -- and I was limited to 2 channels in that instance.
As your lengthy chat shows, I don't know how much faith I'd put into the customer rep statements -- it's pretty apparent they don't really understand their own technology.

you are right, the customer service reps are morons...they told me i can't get 5.1 surround thru my tv speakers...i Said "duh"...

in other instance they just told me to use PLII...I said is not the same thing as 5.1 DD/DTS...

ANYWAYS...so how do u have ur ES8000 connected to ur AVR? HDMI or SPDIF/Optical? which firmware version do you have? by the way what amazon prime movie did u try thru smart hub when u got the full 5.1 surround sound?
post #6 of 70 Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

my current version is 001041 ....I have the ES7500....i wonder if the ES8000 would be the same...after all, mine is the one step down from urs...the only difference is the clear motion crap...mine is the 840, urs is the 960....
post #7 of 70 Old 11-13-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:

you are right, the customer service reps are morons...they told me i can't get 5.1 surround thru my tv speakers...i Said "duh"...
in other instance they just told me to use PLII...I said is not the same thing as 5.1 DD/DTS...
ANYWAYS...so how do u have ur ES8000 connected to ur AVR? HDMI or SPDIF/Optical? which firmware version do you have? by the way what amazon prime movie did u try thru smart hub when u got the full 5.1 surround sound?

I have a Comcast cable box, Oppo Blu-Ray player and xBox 360 all connected to the panel via HDMI. The STB and the BD player also have optical audio directly to a Yamaha AVR. The xBox doesn't have a seperate optical out, so I have an optical running from the TV to the AVR. The TV is also directly connected via ethernet to a router. I think the firmware is 1040, but not at home to check it.

I just grabbed the first HD movie offering 5.1 sound from our family's Amazon prime watchlist -- it was the HD version of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. Didn't sit through much, just verified the AVR display showed receiving a 5.1 signal which confirmed my memory of watching an HD stream with 5.1 from VuDu a few weeks back.
post #8 of 70 Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 AM

So I just had a chat with a Samsung rep to see if I could get a different answer or more info. He seemed a lot less confused than your chat session.

However, he also stated that you cannot get 5.1 channel audio from SmartHub apps.

This doesn't explain why my receiver is showing as receiving a 5.1 channel signal. I will try and play with some Amazon Prime free HD + 5.1 channel streaming content tonight or tomorrow when I have an opportunity, in order to try and figure out what is going on, but at least in this case, your report from an earlier chat seems to have been repeated in my chat session.
post #9 of 70 Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So I just had a chat with a Samsung rep to see if I could get a different answer or more info. He seemed a lot less confused than your chat session.
However, he also stated that you cannot get 5.1 channel audio from SmartHub apps.
This doesn't explain why my receiver is showing as receiving a 5.1 channel signal. I will try and play with some Amazon Prime free HD + 5.1 channel streaming content tonight or tomorrow when I have an opportunity, in order to try and figure out what is going on, but at least in this case, your report from an earlier chat seems to have been repeated in my chat session.

Dude, thanks for contacting samsung also, I know I wasn't crazy...This whole thing is very odd.

Dont get me wrong, I didn't buy this smart tv for its smart hub interface...I think the whole thing is a big elaborate gimmick anyway....

But come on, at least give me 5.1 DD/DTS surround sound while watching Netflix/Amazon Movies...You would think the customer is dishing out at least $2000 and above for this top of line, high end, flagship model HDTV from samsung, and they expect us to not use a Home Theater? They think we are happy with these punnie 10w stereo built-in tv speakers?

We all gotta start calling Samsung, Netflix and Amazon to get this non-sense fixed....
post #10 of 70 Old 11-13-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Dude, thanks for contacting samsung also, I know I wasn't crazy...This whole thing is very odd.
Dont get me wrong, I didn't buy this smart tv for its smart hub interface...I think the whole thing is a big elaborate gimmick anyway....
But come on, at least give me 5.1 DD/DTS surround sound while watching Netflix/Amazon Movies...You would think the customer is dishing out at least $2000 and above for this top of line, high end, flagship model HDTV from samsung, and they expect us to not use a Home Theater? They think we are happy with these punnie 10w stereo built-in tv speakers?
We all gotta start calling Samsung, Netflix and Amazon to get this non-sense fixed....

I am with you. I still can't figure out why my receiver indicated receiving a 5.1 channel signal. Still not sure what the TV is actually doing / capable of doing, but I will try and experiment tonight or tomorrow. Unfortunately, I don't have AIV on my Oppo, and so could only compare Vudu from the Oppo (which feeds 5.1 channel for sure) and Vudu from SmartHub (which shows the receiver getting a 5.1 channel signal but which Samsung customer reps says isn't possible) -- but VuDu costs $ to stream.

But, short answer, if its true that SmartHub can't feed a 5.1 channel signal, I have two questions: (1) why is my receiver indicating it is receiving a 5.1 channel signal, and (2) why, oh why, would Samsung limit the capability if not required by a standard? Bizarre.
post #11 of 70 Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

I just talked to another Einstein from Samsung...is like the Blind leading the Blind:

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'George'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56401998143X

George: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?

George: We have not heard from you. Do you wish to continue the chat?

Visitor: I have the UN55ES8000 smart tv, it has come to my attention that i cannot watch true 5.1 DD/DTS while watching Netflix/Amazon videos thru Smart Hub while outputting to my home theater...why is this?

George: I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Visitor: Its not an inconvinience, its non-sense...

George: May I know if it happens with all the apps?

George: Are we still connected on the chat?

Visitor: I spent over $2000 for the flag ship model tv, and you expect me to watch movies in 2 channel stereo only...

Visitor: yes it happens with all apps

George: I understand your concern as a customer.

Visitor: I have several friends having the same problem

George: Thank you for the information.

Visitor: is samsung aware of this problem?

George: I'm sorry; we do not have any reported issues.

George: Would you mind holding a few minutes while I gather the required information for your request?

Visitor: yes i will hold...

George: Thank you.

George: Thanks for holding.

George: May I know the firmware installed on the TV?

George: Please click on the link below to find the firmware:

George: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportOwnersHowToGuidePopup.do?howto_guide_seq=6510&prd_ia_cd=N0000058&map_seq=44594

George: Are you able to access the link?

Visitor: yes the latest one....001041 firmware

George: Thank you for the information.

Visitor: how dont you know about this issue? I had friends contact you guys and they told him that Smart Hub Apps including Netflix/Amazon only output stereo (2-channel) only

George: To isolate the issue, please turn off Anynet+ and check if the issue persists.

George: Yes, the Smart Hub Apps including Netflix/Amazon only output stereo (2-channel) only.

Visitor: what does Anynet+ have to do with that?

George: The Smart Hub Apps including Netflix/Amazon will output stereo (2-channel) only.

Visitor: do you think is acceptable that Iam paying for Netflix and Amazon video and cannot get the true experience of 5.1 DD/DTS surround sound while watching movies?

George: I understand your concern.

George: It is the compatibility of the App's that outputs the sound through the 2 channel stereo only.

Visitor: This is your top of the line flag ship model tv, I didn't get this at walmart you know....I think this is UNACCEPTABLE...

George: It is the compatibility of the App's that outputs the sound through the 2 channel stereo only.

Visitor: NO NO NO.....netflix and amazon movies STREAMING from my sony PS3 outputs in crystal clear 5.1 DD/DTS Surround Sound to my Home Theater...

Visitor: dont blame the apps....

George: As the TV is a display device, it outputs the sound that comes from the source or the apps.

Visitor: the source of the apps is 5.1.... helllo? have you heard anything that I have said? The audio content is encoded in 5.1 thru Netflix and Amazon....

Visitor: Im a Software Engineer by trade, so with all due respect, don't insult my intelligence...I know a thing or two about audio output formats

George: I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Visitor: so is this it? is this all you can say?

George: Would you mind holding a few minutes while I gather the required information for your request?

George: Thanks for holding.

George: May I know is the Home Theater a Samsung unit?

George: It has been a while since I’ve received a message from you. Are we still connected?

George: Are we still connected on the chat?

Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.
post #12 of 70 Old 11-13-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

At this point, contacting samsung has been useless and a waste of my time...as you can see from the transcripts above how clueless they really are....I'm gonna contact Netflix and Amazon tomorrow to complain.

Also gonna unistall and reinstall Netflix and Amazon to see if the 5.1 surround sound finally decides to start working...2 channel stereo being mixed into Pro Logic II aint gonna cut it in my home...we are not in the late 1990's anymore.....
post #13 of 70 Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 PM

I was wrong.

So I figured out where I was wrong through some experimentation. Apologies for adding wrong information, and confusion, when I was sure based on my receiver's input signal and a brief few moments with a streaming 5.1 channel source that I was getting mutli-channel audio from SmartHub. It certainly appears to me that the SmartHub apps are, as you and the customer service reps indicated, only passing on a 2 channel source.

I ran the AIV video again, and again confirmed that my AVR was receiving a 5.1 channel signal, and that in unprocessed audio mode was putting out 5.1 channels. "What the hell?" I thought - how can this be? After futzing around some and puzzling some, I ended up in the Samsung audio menu, and saw that the SPDIF output was set to DTS Neo 2:5 (have no idea how that got set, since I don't remember playing with that, ever, but maybe I did or maybe my son did when playing xBox). But long story short, the Samsung app was apparently taking a 5.1 channel feed, down-mixing to 2 channels, and then the TV's audio processing was upmixing via DTS. So my receiver was in fact receiving a 5.1 channel input and displayed the same, but it was a processed signal from the TV itself. With the TV's audio output setting at PCM (jnstead of DTS Neo 2:5), the receiver is only getting a 2 channel input.

I fully agree with you that this is just plain silly -- there is no reason that SmartHub apps should be downmixing a 5.1 channel source. Terrible.

I consider this a pretty serious shortcoming in SmartHub, and will register my complaint with Samsung, Amazon, VuDu, etc. as well. Just plain stupid.
EndeaverouX likes this.
post #14 of 70 Old 11-14-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Samsung has told you that you can only use DD 5.1 when you use the TV's tuner to receive OTA or Cable signals. All other signals will be 2.0 signals that will play via the internal TV speakers or can be sent to an AVR in the 2.0 mode (or matrix surround encoded 2.0).

Complaints to anyone except Samsung will on a basic level be ignored because it is not their problem.

I guess that you guys just will not take no for an answer even though that is the answer to your question. You have to use your Blu-ray player to stream to your AVR in order to play DD 5.1 audio content as DD 5.1 content.

Quote from Samsung taken from a post above:

Dylan D: Optical audio out port emits 5.1 channel surround sound only when the source is set to antenna. If you try to access same apps on Blu-ray player connected to receiver or Home Theater with Blu-ray, you will hear 5.1 channel surround sound. But from the TVs, it is not possible to get 5.1 channel surround sound when you watch Netflix or Amazon videos.

Also note that PCM audio is 2 channel audio.
post #15 of 70 Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Samsung has told you that you can only use DD 5.1 when you use the TV's tuner to receive OTA or Cable signals. All other signals will be 2.0 signals that will play via the internal TV speakers or can be sent to an AVR in the 2.0 mode (or matrix surround encoded 2.0).
Complaints to anyone except Samsung will on a basic level be ignored because it is not their problem.
I guess that you guys just will not take no for an answer even though that is the answer to your question. You have to use your Blu-ray player to stream to your AVR in order to play DD 5.1 audio content as DD 5.1 content.

With all due respect, the main issue here in this THREAD has NOTHING to do with OTA 5.1 sound, nor 5.1 sound from other inputs like bluray player, ps3, cable boxes, etc.... FORGET ABOUT ALL THAT....

The MAIN ISSUE on this thread is that there's no 5.1 DD/DTS Surround sound is being output from SMART HUB Apps like Amazon or Netflix. When watching those services thru smart hub we are only getting stereo(2 channel).

SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE SMART HUB INTERFACE AUDIO OUTPUT....purely software and programming issues if you ask me....an update or firmware change should do the trick.....hopefully...

STICK WITH THE ISSUE PLEASE....LOL
post #16 of 70 Old 11-14-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I was wrong.
So I figured out where I was wrong through some experimentation. Apologies for adding wrong information, and confusion, when I was sure based on my receiver's input signal and a brief few moments with a streaming 5.1 channel source that I was getting mutli-channel audio from SmartHub. It certainly appears to me that the SmartHub apps are, as you and the customer service reps indicated, only passing on a 2 channel source.

I ran the AIV video again, and again confirmed that my AVR was receiving a 5.1 channel signal, and that in unprocessed audio mode was putting out 5.1 channels. "What the hell?" I thought - how can this be? After futzing around some and puzzling some, I ended up in the Samsung audio menu, and saw that the SPDIF output was set to DTS Neo 2:5 (have no idea how that got set, since I don't remember playing with that, ever, but maybe I did or maybe my son did when playing xBox). But long story short, the Samsung app was apparently taking a 5.1 channel feed, down-mixing to 2 channels, and then the TV's audio processing was upmixing via DTS. So my receiver was in fact receiving a 5.1 channel input and displayed the same, but it was a processed signal from the TV itself. With the TV's audio output setting at PCM (jnstead of DTS Neo 2:5), the receiver is only getting a 2 channel input.

I fully agree with you that this is just plain silly -- there is no reason that SmartHub apps should be downmixing a 5.1 channel source. Terrible.
I consider this a pretty serious shortcoming in SmartHub, and will register my complaint with Samsung, Amazon, VuDu, etc. as well. Just plain stupid.

I knew it..... I played with every single setting on this TV last night.... The only way I got my AVR to detect TRUE Multi channels was when I disabled the "TV speakers" under the audio menu, and enabled "external speakers". Then I was able to select "DTS Neo 2:5" ... WTF is dat? Some weird A-Hole format... I will look into that next...

Anyway, when "Dolby Digital" is enabled under audio menu, only 2-channel dolby digital is coming out, not the 5.1.... So problem still not solved.... mad.gif
post #17 of 70 Old 11-14-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:

Complaints may not motivate anyone, but the streaming service providers certainly do have an interest in seeing that the delivery options they make available through third-parties (like Samsung) are the robust offerings they want to make available to their customers. Amazon does have an interest in trying to ensure that its partners enabe functionality (like 5.1 channel audio) in their apps; and note that Amazon does not freely make available the AIV app across any platform or device -- they are choosing which component makers and even which families of products can incorporate the app, so they clearly have some control here (for example, AIV is available on new Oppo BD players, and Oppo BD players that are 2 generations old, but not the immediately prior players; and unless something has changed very recently, Amazon has made the AIV app available on Samsung B, C, and now E series TVs but not D series).
Quote:

It's not that there's a question we have and are looking for an answer - we're complaining and requesting a change to what looks like an unforced error on Samsung's part. The source content is available in multi-channel audio. The hardware is capable of passing that multi-channel signal and there are no standrads-based limitations on the ability to pass the signal. Samsung, through it's implementation of the SmartHub, has prevented, deliberately or through oversight, making the multi-channel stream available.

It may not be an earth-shaking issue for most, because there are alternatives (stream the content through another device) but that alternative is not available to all users and there really is no good reason for Samsung to have effectively required that workaround (and at the same time driving users away from SmartHub and to other components which in many cases will not be Samsung products).
post #18 of 70 Old 11-14-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Complaints may not motivate anyone, but the streaming service providers certainly do have an interest in seeing that the delivery options they make available through third-parties (like Samsung) are the robust offerings they want to make available to their customers. Amazon does have an interest in trying to ensure that its partners enabe functionality (like 5.1 channel audio) in their apps; and note that Amazon does not freely make available the AIV app across any platform or device -- they are choosing which component makers and even which families of products can incorporate the app, so they clearly have some control here (for example, AIV is available on new Oppo BD players, and Oppo BD players that are 2 generations old, but not the immediately prior players; and unless something has changed very recently, Amazon has made the AIV app available on Samsung B, C, and now E series TVs but not D series).
It's not that there's a question we have and are looking for an answer - we're complaining and requesting a change to what looks like an unforced error on Samsung's part. The source content is available in multi-channel audio. The hardware is capable of passing that multi-channel signal and there are no standrads-based limitations on the ability to pass the signal. Samsung, through it's implementation of the SmartHub, has prevented, deliberately or through oversight, making the multi-channel stream available.
It may not be an earth-shaking issue for most, because there are alternatives (stream the content through another device) but that alternative is not available to all users and there really is no good reason for Samsung to have effectively required that workaround (and at the same time driving users away from SmartHub and to other components which in many cases will not be Samsung products).

Very eloquantly said...couldn't have said it better myself....

Even the smart hub resolution is crap, very cloudy and blurry...you would think the resolution on its interface would be a crisp, sharp and clear 1080p... but thats for another Thread...

So samsung reps tell me to call Amazon, and Amazon reps tell me to call Samsung....the chicken and egg theory...

As far as Amazon app, I called amazon directly, spoke with low service reps, then a supervisor...They escalated the problem to the software developer....But we need more people to call in and complain...maybe they'll figure it out....

When the rubber meets the road...SmartHub is just a gimmick...The gesture controls are clunkie...even the webcam is not HD...not even 720p....

I'll keep you guys updated...

so Catt99, if you get more info on this DTS Neo 2:5 Mode, let me know.....
post #19 of 70 Old 11-14-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

With all due respect, the main issue here in this THREAD has NOTHING to do with OTA 5.1 sound, nor 5.1 sound from other inputs like bluray player, ps3, cable boxes, etc.... FORGET ABOUT ALL THAT....

The MAIN ISSUE on this thread is that there's no 5.1 DD/DTS Surround sound is being output from SMART HUB Apps like Amazon or Netflix. When watching those services thru smart hub we are only getting stereo(2 channel).

SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE SMART HUB INTERFACE AUDIO OUTPUT....purely software and programming issues if you ask me....an update or firmware change should do the trick.....hopefully...

STICK WITH THE ISSUE PLEASE....LOL

Why forget about everything except streaming?

Samsung has told you that ALL SOURCES except for ATSC OTA signals will only play audio in the 2.0 format via TV speakers, HDMI and Optical audio. If is was a simple firmware fix, the fix would have been made years ago.

Is there any evidence that any model Samsung TV made in any year has ever worked in a different manner?

Old post from the Samsung forum, so this is not a new issue:

"Although on page 11 of the manual, it talks about 5.1 audio output from a digital source, this can be applied to DLNA and USB streaming media as well:

"When the receiver (home theater) is set to on, you can hear sound output from the TV’s optical jack. When the TV is receiving a DTV [digital cable] signal, the TV will send 5.1 CH sound to the home theater receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box)/ satellite receiver and is connected to the TV via HDMI [also applies to DLNA and USB], only 2 CH audio will be heard from the home theater receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB/ satellite receiver [PC] directly to an amplifier or home theater."

-MrSamsung
post #20 of 70 Old 11-14-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Multi-channel source content is available in multi-channel from a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box)/ satellite receiver. None of those sources will play multi-channel audio from a Samsung TV via optical or HDMI or TV speakers.

You are requesting that Samsung redesign their entire lineup of televisions. Not likely to happen!

I wonder how many TV brands work in a similar manner to the Samsung units?
post #21 of 70 Old 11-14-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Multi-channel source content is available in multi-channel from a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box)/ satellite receiver. None of those sources will play multi-channel audio from a Samsung TV via optical or HDMI or TV speakers.

Not sure I get the point -- none of those components play audio. And many (some? most? the vast majority? basically all designed in the last 5 years?) of those will pass on a multi-channel source to an AVR via optical.
Quote:
You are requesting that Samsung redesign their entire lineup of televisions. Not likely to happen!
I wonder how many TV brands work in a similar manner to the Samsung units?

Well admittedly I don't know how the Samsung sets are engineered. But we know several things: (1) the set can receive and pass through multi-channel audio to an AVR via its optical out; (2) there are no known legal / standards-based restrictions on passing multi-channel audio that doesn't pass through HDMI; (3) apps can receive and pass on multi-channel audio; and (4) multiple other components (like those you list above), from multiple other vendors, deploy apps that provide multi-channel audio and pass it on via toslink.

I don't dispute that there could be a hardware design that prevents this from happening and then . . . oh well (but what a silly product design decision); but at the same time, it sure looks like a software implementation choice, and if they are able to update the software / firmware to enable this, why shouldn't consumers advocate for it?
post #22 of 70 Old 11-14-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Samsung has told you that ALL SOURCES except for ATSC OTA signals will only play audio in the 2.0 format via TV speakers, HDMI and Optical audio. If is was a simple firmware fix, the fix would have been made years ago.
Is there any evidence that any model Samsung TV made in any year has ever worked in a different manner?
"Although on page 11 of the manual, it talks about 5.1 audio output from a digital source, this can be applied to DLNA and USB streaming media as well:
"When the receiver (home theater) is set to on, you can hear sound output from the TV’s optical jack. When the TV is receiving a DTV [digital cable] signal, the TV will send 5.1 CH sound to the home theater receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box)/ satellite receiver and is connected to the TV via HDMI [also applies to DLNA and USB], only 2 CH audio will be heard from the home theater receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB/ satellite receiver [PC] directly to an amplifier or home theater."
-MrSamsung

J Palmer..look bro...i'll be polite and refrain from any beligerence.....in case u haven't noticed..the thread title is "Smart Hub Fiasco"...duh!!!

hence thats why we are talking about a solution for it.

What's your question anyway? Why are you a babling and going on about all this unrelated mambo jumbo?

Please dont hijack the thread with unrelated info...thanx bro...
post #23 of 70 Old 11-14-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

-MrSamsung

J Palmer..look bro...i'll be polite and refrain from any beligerence.....in case u haven't noticed..the thread title is "Smart Hub Fiasco"...duh!!!

hence thats why we are talking about a solution for it.

What's your question anyway? Why are you a babling and going on about all this unrelated mambo jumbo?

Please dont hijack the thread with unrelated info...thanx bro...

Per Samsung there is no solution for it other than to use another source (AKA Blu-ray player) to stream from. I realize that you do not like the answer, but that is the answer.

-MrSamsung

So babble on Don Quixote!
post #24 of 70 Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 AM

Liked: 20
You either have a defective set or your configuration/setup is incorrect.

With my ES7100 I clearly get DD 5.1 when viewing a stream using Netflix via SmartHub - when the material is being streamed with DD 5.1 (Netflix will have a symbol showing when the stream has 5.1 available). The audio is exactly the same as if I were to use the Netflix app on my TiVo Premier - they both work exactly the same.

Keep in mind your TV will not pass a 5.1 signal if you are using another source other than the TV.

Do NOT take any information coming from Samsung customer support as being accurate - trust me!
post #25 of 70 Old 11-20-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAnglum View Post

With my ES7100 I clearly get DD 5.1 when viewing a stream using Netflix via SmartHub - when the material is being streamed with DD 5.1 (Netflix will have a symbol showing when the stream has 5.1 available). The audio is exactly the same as if I were to use the Netflix app on my TiVo Premier - they both work exactly the same.
Keep in mind your TV will not pass a 5.1 signal if you are using another source other than the TV.
Do NOT take any information coming from Samsung customer support as being accurate - trust me!

Well now I am thoroughly flummoxed.

I tried again to determine whether or not 5.1 channel audio was available from an app in the SmartHub via the TV’s optical audio out. I used Apocalypse Now Redux in HD with 5.1 channel audio available for free to prime members through Amazon Instant Video. With my receiver on “straight” mode (no processing), and the TV’s SPIDF settings for audio out set on Dolby Digital, I was indeed seeing a 5.1 channel stream coming from the SmartHub.

I went back to the video I had previously tested (Adventures of Baron Munchasuen) and it too was streaming in 5.1 channel audio via Dolby Digital. Thing is, when I tested previously, the TV’s audio options wouldn’t permit selecting Dolby Digital – it was greyed out.

Don’t know what is happening, or what has changed if anything, but I can confirm I too am getting 5.1 channel audio from apps in the SmartHub through the optical audio out, notwithstanding the statements by Samsung customer service reps (in which I put little stock in any event).

Good news. [Cross-posted in “ES8000 owners" thread]
post #26 of 70 Old 11-26-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAnglum View Post

My set is not deffective...trust me.....after plenty of homework, and calling samsung, amazon & netflix:
Here are the facts about Samsung Smart Hub Apps:

Netflix VOD: Discreet 5.1 DD/DTS via HDMI & Optical - YES, yes on PS3 too...
Amazon VOD: Discreet 5.1 DD/DTS via HDMI & Optical - NO NO NO, but yes on my PS3
VUDU VOD: Discreet 5.1 DD/DTS via HDMI & Optical - NO NO NO, but yes on my PS3

If you guys can test your sets and let me know if you come up
with the same conclusion....
Bottom line, more firmware updates are needed for sure..
post #27 of 70 Old 12-03-2012, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My Smart Hub it's not 1080p native!... is it normal? is there a place to change display settings?...

@Europe, you can contact me in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 70 Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by connector View Post

My Smart Hub it's not 1080p native!... is it normal? is there a place to change display settings?...

NOPE IT IS NOT 1080P NATIVE...i know it's a joke...smarthub is a big gimmick...it is not even 1080i, i think is barely 720p native...looks very blurry to me....boooooooooooooooooo!
post #29 of 70 Old 12-03-2012, 07:44 AM

Liked: 11
I have an optical connection to my receiver and just ran the Prometheus 2-minute sample from Vudu. The receiver said it was getting 5.1. The Pro Logic light was not lit.
post #30 of 70 Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post

I have an optical connection to my receiver and just ran the Prometheus 2-minute sample from Vudu. The receiver said it was getting 5.1. The Pro Logic light was not lit.

I know its strange...what model tv do you have?
what firmware are you running? have you tried netflix and amazon video?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46es7500 46 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page