Official LG XXLM7200 Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 735 Old 04-11-2013, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone care to share good settings for 3D gaming?
or tips on 3D settings in general?

i'm getting my set next week

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 735 Old 04-15-2013, 02:10 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salnria View Post

That does look nice i might have to give the leds a try around my tv for 16 bucks worst thing i can do is not like it and im not waisting alot of money.

Anyway i had my tv calibrated today and i have all the results i know some people was asking for calibration settings i can provide them if anyone wants them. But as always remember every tv is different but im sure it might be a good start for some.

What i found very weird is that i watched them calibrate it the whole time and i asked why contrast was set to 100 and they said thats what i called for for daytime veiwing the settings were,

backlight 86

contrast 100

both sharpness was 15

color 52

brightness 58

tint 0

also in advanced settings everything is turned off no dynamic contrast no true motion

How do you like it, pre and post calibration?

You'd be doing the community a favor if you copied the white balance and CMS settings here for us to try..

Insert pithy comment here
post #633 of 735 Old 04-15-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovexi View Post

Just finished my backlighting project and I’m quite pleased with the results.
All parts were bought on E-Bay (led strip + power adapter + remote dimmer) for a total of about $16.00.

Looks awesome.. Can u pls share details.. How long a strip should one buy? Are they flexible at every few inches so you can get those 90degree turns in the corners? I plan to keep it simple and just get the strip and plug it in. Do u feel u have to dim it to get the best viewing experience?

post #634 of 735 Old 04-15-2013, 06:15 PM

woud anyone mind sharing their settings for color accuracy?
I followed some of the settings posted on this thread and it seems like everyone is leaving the white balance on warm, but that to me it looks a little too orange
post #635 of 735 Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have an I1 Display Pro meter that I calibrated the T.V. with, I will post settings when I get home. The grey scale is kinda broken though so I was only able to do a 2point. But I got the color almost spot on.
post #636 of 735 Old 04-16-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syphon00 View Post

woud anyone mind sharing their settings for color accuracy?
I followed some of the settings posted on this thread and it seems like everyone is leaving the white balance on warm, but that to me it looks a little too orange

Warm is the closest to the 6500 color temp but later today I will give you the color calibration that I got.
post #637 of 735 Old 04-16-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post

Warm is the closest to the 6500 color temp but later today I will give you the color calibration that I got.

that'll be awesome much appreciated
post #638 of 735 Old 04-16-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Hold on now, I'm sorry, but I have to back up and ask about something that is endlessly covered ground. So my apologies ahead of time.

I am not sure about something still. Let's see if I can ask this differently.

Is this a true 240Hz TV, or a 120Hz with a pulse technology (back light scanning or whatever) bringing it to a sort-of 240?

Or ............................... (and this threw me), I seem to recall that some LG rep told someone in the 7600 thread that the 7600s were not true 240Hz and that it was only using 240Hz for 3D. Now that makes absolutely no sense for a passive 3D system. NONE. So I'm assuming that what the rep meant to say (or should have) was that it was using a pulse technology in 2D or otherwise.

Anyone know with absolute certainty what the specs are of this thing? I know it says 240Hz, but is that real?

Beware the statistical correlations that sound like they're indicative of something. Drowning deaths are tightly correlated to ice cream consumption. In fact, be wary of any statistic that is stated as if it comes with a self-evident conclusion: there is no such thing.
post #639 of 735 Old 04-16-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:

I have an I1 Display Pro meter that I calibrated the T.V. with, I will post settings when I get home. The grey scale is kinda broken though so I was only able to do a 2point. But I got the color almost spot on.

Awesome! am eagerly watching this space..

post #640 of 735 Old 04-16-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

This is awesome! People who haven't seen bias lighting are totally missing out on the most comfortable way of watching TV ever. I even have a makeshift bulb behind my TV with awesome results. Could you post this in the Flat Panel General & New FP Tech forum? Or perhaps there's a better place for it than here. This will help a lot of folks!

Perfect!

I've been an advocate of bias lighting for a very long time. Even my 2010 LG LCD (S-IPS panel), with it's less than stellar blacks, still looks as sharp and clean, with beautifully rendered colors (calibrated) as it did the day I brought it home. There's a lot to be said about fooling the mind's eye. Our tv is not wall mounted, it's on a media console, so I put a round bottom uplight behind the swivel part of the stand (can't see it at all) and used a 15W CFL light bulb (60W equivalent). The temp of the bulb is around 5800k because that looked best reflecting off of the neutral wall behind. The light behind the tv is evenly distributed along the entire wall up to the cathedral ceiling. With that being the only light on in the evening when we watch tv, the eye is drawn to the panel only and it looks amazing (for a lowly LCD wink.gif). Nice job with the bias lighting on a wall mounted tv.
post #641 of 735 Old 04-16-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone know with absolute certainty what the specs are of this thing? I know it says 240Hz, but is that real?

I didn't think there were any native 240Hz sets, yet. 240Hz was just a multiple of 60Hz (like 120Hz is). Been awhile since I looked closely at new specs so maybe it is. Would be nice to know for sure.
post #642 of 735 Old 04-16-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Quote:

I didn't think there were any native 240Hz sets, yet. 240Hz was just a multiple of 60Hz (like 120Hz is). Been awhile since I looked closely at new specs so maybe it is. Would be nice to know for sure.

No no no no no.......you're misreading me. You know this: In a true 240Hz set:
  • The input is still never exceeding 60Hz (interlaced or not). <---always for the time being
  • The 240Hz is interpolative, that is, 3 extra frames created using a variant on "tweening" algorithms. Basically in between frames are drawn based on what it might look like for real had they existed (based upon the true frames before and after). 3 incremental steps----not a particularly easy algorithm if done right.

What I'm wondering about is if the set is really this----in fact, I'm fairly certain it is:
  • The input is still never exceeding 60Hz (interlaced or not). <---always for the time being
  • The 120Hz is interpolative, that is, 1 extra frame is created using a variant on "tweening" algorithms.
  • For each frame output, whether original or interpolative, 1 extra frame "copy" is created (not interpolative, just a pulse copy), using various techniques. This is an attempt to convert the TV to a pulse technology, defeating the sample-and-hold of LCD's and thereby removing the held image smear against the retina as an eye tracks across the screen.

See?

Beware the statistical correlations that sound like they're indicative of something. Drowning deaths are tightly correlated to ice cream consumption. In fact, be wary of any statistic that is stated as if it comes with a self-evident conclusion: there is no such thing.
post #643 of 735 Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ yep. my mis-read.
post #644 of 735 Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 PM

Like I said earlier the greyscale is out of whack so I was only able to do a 2 point adjustment. I set local dimming on high because the black levels were noticeably better but it threw greyscale off a little bit. My meter read gamma at 2.34 roughly compared to the target 2.2. To each his own though I guess. I noticed that David from Cnet did the same. He had the same problems adjusting Gamma also. The 65 backlight is at 40 fl. They say 30-40 fl is good for dark room viewing. Backlight at 48 put it at 30 fl. That is up to you also Cnet calibrates their TV's at 40 fl, contrast ration shouldn't suffer either way you go and the light bleed is less noticeable at lower backlight levels. I left sharpness at 10 because that was default that is totally up to you also. Most calibrators recommend 0 sharpness. I am just learning how to use the meter and think I have a decent idea on how to, but I am not ISF certified and I am self taught through trial and error. Hope these settings work for you and if you see something noticeably off let me know. P.S. Every TV is different and what my readings were might not be what's best for yours. Thank you.

Picture Settings

Picture Mode: Expert 1 or 2
Energy Saving: Off
Backlight: 65
Contrast: 84
Brightness: 52
H Sharpness: 10
V Sharpness: 10
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan

--Expert control menu--
Dynamic contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: BT709
Edge Enhancer: Off
xvYCC: Off [grayed out]
Color Filter: Off
Expert Pattern: Off [grayed out]
Gamma: 2.2

--White Balance submenu--
Color Temperature: Warm
Method: 2-points
Pattern: Outer
Red: 0
Green: 0
Blue: -24
Blue: 0

--Color management system submenu--
Red: [Saturation 0. Tint 0, Luminance 20]
Green: [Saturation -8. Tint 8, Luminance 4]
Blue: [Saturation 2, Tint 0, Luminance 24]
Cyan: [Saturation -11. Tint 0, Luminance 29]
Magenta: [Saturation 0. Tint 0, Luminance 11]
Yellow: [Saturation -5. Tint 0, Luminance 7]

--Picture Option menu--
Noise reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On
Eye Care: Off [grayed out]
LED Local Dimming: High
TruMotion: Off
post #645 of 735 Old 04-16-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Like I said earlier the greyscale is out of whack so I was only able to do a 2 point adjustment. I set local dimming on high because the black levels were noticeably better but it threw greyscale off a little bit. My meter read gamma at 2.34 roughly compared to the target 2.2. To each his own though I guess. I noticed that David from Cnet did the same. He had the same problems adjusting Gamma also. The 65 backlight is at 40 fl. They say 30-40 fl is good for dark room viewing. Backlight at 48 put it at 30 fl. That is up to you also Cnet calibrates their TV's at 40 fl, contrast ration shouldn't suffer either way you go and the light bleed is less noticeable at lower backlight levels. I left sharpness at 10 because that was default that is totally up to you also. Most calibrators recommend 0 sharpness. I am just learning how to use the meter and think I have a decent idea on how to, but I am not ISF certified and I am self taught through trial and error. Hope these settings work for you and if you see something noticeably off let me know. P.S. Every TV is different and what my readings were might not be what's best for yours. Thank you.

Picture Settings

Picture Mode: Expert 1 or 2
Energy Saving: Off
Backlight: 65
Contrast: 84
Brightness: 52
H Sharpness: 10
V Sharpness: 10
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan

--Expert control menu--
Dynamic contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: BT709
Edge Enhancer: Off
xvYCC: Off [grayed out]
Color Filter: Off
Expert Pattern: Off [grayed out]
Gamma: 2.2

--White Balance submenu--
Color Temperature: Warm
Method: 2-points
Pattern: Outer
Blue: -24
Blue: 0

--Color management system submenu--
Red: [Saturation 0. Tint 0, Luminance 20]
Green: [Saturation -8. Tint 8, Luminance 4]
Blue: [Saturation 2, Tint 0, Luminance 24]
Cyan: [Saturation -11. Tint 0, Luminance 29]
Magenta: [Saturation 0. Tint 0, Luminance 11]
Yellow: [Saturation -5. Tint 0, Luminance 7]

--Picture Option menu--
Noise reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On
Eye Care: Off [grayed out]
LED Local Dimming: High
TruMotion: Off

awesome can't wait to try it out

btw came home today and new software update popped up and I updated to 5.0
now in ISF setting under picture options

black level & real cinema are no longer adjustable, greyed out

the default values are Auto and Off
post #646 of 735 Old 04-17-2013, 04:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post

Quote:

Just finished my backlighting project and I’m quite pleased with the results.
All parts were bought on E-Bay (led strip + power adapter + remote dimmer) for a total of about $16.00.

Looks awesome.. Can u pls share details.. How long a strip should one buy? Are they flexible at every few inches so you can get those 90degree turns in the corners? I plan to keep it simple and just get the strip and plug it in. Do u feel u have to dim it to get the best viewing experience?

The 5m strip from the link I posted should be good up to 65in TV. The strip is not really flexible but you can bend it in the corners. I suggest to get the dimmer as the lights are too bright. I dimmed mine about half way down. The pictures show full brightness though

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
post #647 of 735 Old 04-17-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Like I said earlier the greyscale is out of whack so I was only able to do a 2 point adjustment. I set local dimming on high because the black levels were noticeably better but it threw greyscale off a little bit.

Thanks so much for sharing!
Without even looking at your charts etc. I think you've done good. I simply entered these settings and I think I'm beginning to appreciate the more accurate colors already. Of course I'll have to watch it a bit more to get used to the better accuracy in skin tones. But I think this first run of yours is a win.. I hope you keep tweaking it to squeeze out more from this unit and would share with us when you get there.

post #648 of 735 Old 04-17-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:

The 5m strip from the link I posted should be good up to 65in TV. The strip is not really flexible but you can bend it in the corners. I suggest to get the dimmer as the lights are too bright. I dimmed mine about half way down. The pictures show full brightness though

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks.. excellent information.. I might actually try this with the warm/daylight lighting available on ebay US website..

post #649 of 735 Old 04-19-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post

Quote:

Like I said earlier the greyscale is out of whack so I was only able to do a 2 point adjustment. I set local dimming on high because the black levels were noticeably better but it threw greyscale off a little bit.

Thanks so much for sharing!
Without even looking at your charts etc. I think you've done good. I simply entered these settings and I think I'm beginning to appreciate the more accurate colors already. Of course I'll have to watch it a bit more to get used to the better accuracy in skin tones. But I think this first run of yours is a win.. I hope you keep tweaking it to squeeze out more from this unit and would share with us when you get there.

IME, one of the problems with skin tones (and I almost put my fist through a 46" Samsung partly because of this) is that the various broadcasts are absolutely not consistent with them. It's amazing really. Once calibrated, try this: channel hop around to the various news channels and you're almost certainly going to find a red-face channel.

post #650 of 735 Old 04-19-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IME, one of the problems with skin tones (and I almost put my fist through a 46" Samsung partly because of this) is that the various broadcasts are absolutely not consistent with them. It's amazing really. Once calibrated, try this: channel hop around to the various news channels and you're almost certainly going to find a red-face channel.

That's one of the most frustrating aspects of calibrating a tv (not an adjustment with a disk alone but a true calibration with software/meters) is that after all the time and effort involved, you change channels and wonder WTF happened to your settings. Blu-ray movies are more consistent but that's not an absolute either. OTA seems to be better with that than sat/cable but....... games can be even worse because they don't have to adhere to rec.709 standards.
post #651 of 735 Old 04-21-2013, 10:21 AM

Hi!

Looks like my TV "developed" a new area with backlight problems (it had a small one on the right side and it now has a bigger one on the left side)... mad.gif

Did that happen to anybody else?

My TV is, obviously, still under warranty but since they don't consider this to be a problem the warranty is useless in this case...

Thank you,

Nick
post #652 of 735 Old 04-22-2013, 12:42 PM

ok I figure I can help yous out this is my calibration settings that I had done a couple weeks ago the guy took his time and all and colors look spot on on my tv hopefully they will look pretty good on your guys tvs as well.

post #653 of 735 Old 04-22-2013, 12:43 PM

sorry for crappy pics my other cell phone died and im using a cheap one till the new galaxy 4 I receive this week.
post #654 of 735 Old 04-22-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^Backlight set to 100? Really?
post #655 of 735 Old 04-22-2013, 05:30 PM

The reason for 100 back light is my tv is across from a very bright window and when he did the calibration it was at 12 noon right when the sun beams in and that's the daytime setting the isf night is like 40 back light and 84 contrast and i believe 52 brightness. Everything else is the same.
post #656 of 735 Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 PM

Liked: 11
I have hit a brick wall. I don’t know who else to turn to. I recently upgraded my home theater only to be plagued by intermittent signal loss during playback of blu-ray movies. The picture simply goes dark and I get a “no signal” message on the television for about 10 seconds and then the picture returns. It usually happens once or twice during blu-ray movie playback. The audio is unaffected. I currently have a Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray player connected to a Sony STR-DA 1800 ES Receiver. The receiver is connected to an LG LM7200 LED Television. All are connected via High Speed HDMI cables. The following is a list of my failed attempts to fix this problem:
• Replaced all HDMI cables (Rocketfish)
• Replaced HDMI cables again with a different brand (Rosewill)
• Made sure HDMI cables met the latest specifications
• Had geek squad replace the HDMI board on the television
• Replaced the receiver
• Replaced the blu ray player
• Replaced the blu ray player with a different brand (LG)
• Made sure all firmware was updated
• Tried HDMI Control on and off on Blu ray player and the receiver
• Disabled Deep Colour
• Set resolution on blu ray player to auto
• Manually set resolution on blu ray player to 1080p
• Tried Simplink on and off (LG’s version of Bravia sync)
• Tried ARC on and off
• Tried both HDMI port 1 and 2 on television (port 1 is ARC)
• Tried multiple ports on receiver
• Tried factory resets on all equipment
• Tried hard reset by unplugging all equipment
• Tried turning on equipment in different sequences-
 tv, receiver, blu ray
 receiver, blu ray, tv
 blu ray, receiver, tv
I also use a ps3, xbox 360 and Wii U (all connected via HDMI) with this receiver. I have ZERO problems with these units. I also notice that it doesn't seem to happen during DVD playback. It appears to be related to Blu Ray movies only. I am at a complete loss at this point. I’m hoping an expert out there can point me in the right direction. One other thing, (not that this will probably matter) I don’t have a cable box. I only have basic cable that is a coax cable from the wall that I screwed into the back of the television. No problems when connecting the Blu ray player directly to television which leads me to think the communication issue seems to lie between the television and the receiver. Please help me, I just can’t believe that the television and receiver are incompatible but unfortunately, that seems to be the case. I appreciate any help you guys can provide.
post #657 of 735 Old 04-22-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

How long is the HDMI cable? Is the HDMI connector/connection solid with no strain?
post #658 of 735 Old 04-23-2013, 03:39 PM

Can someone with this tv try them calibration settings I posted up top? I reason I ask is it seems to look a little on the green side to me at times mosy of colors look spot on but some look greenish to me it could be just in my head. Also whites aren't very white anymore like they were but granted its now on warm setting and that alone turns whites awH from the cooler bright white that it is on normal or cool setting. Just wondering to see what others think of the calibration settings they did to my tv. I know all tvs are different so it might be it look the same on yours as it does on mine.
post #659 of 735 Old 04-23-2013, 03:41 PM

Wow my phone butchered that whole last post I hate typing from a phone.
post #660 of 735 Old 04-23-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salnria View Post

Can someone with this tv try them calibration settings I posted up top? I reason I ask is it seems to look a little on the green side to me at times mosy of colors look spot on but some look greenish to me it could be just in my head. Also whites aren't very white anymore like they were but granted its now on warm setting and that alone turns whites awH from the cooler bright white that it is on normal or cool setting. Just wondering to see what others think of the calibration settings they did to my tv. I know all tvs are different so it might be it look the same on yours as it does on mine.

Does the color look off on all of your sources/inputs or just one?I think you answered your own question though. Cal settings can vary dramatically from set to set for lots of reasons so asking someone to plug in your settings to see if they get the same results may be an effort in futility and not give you much, if any, information at all about the quality of your cal. The calibrator should have left you some before and after graphs so you could compare what the settings were before he started and after he finished. Have him come back and re-check it again. There should be some sort of 30-day warranty or what ever. Was it an independent calibrator or a Big Box calibrator?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60es6500 60 Inch 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page