Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 735 Old 04-24-2013, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

How long is the HDMI cable? Is the HDMI connector/connection solid with no strain?

6 ft and there isn't a strain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 735 Old 04-24-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:

How long is the HDMI cable? Is the HDMI connector/connection solid with no strain?

6 ft and there isn't a strain.
post #663 of 735 Old 04-24-2013, 02:33 PM

Is anyone else using a Sony STR-DA 1800 ES Receiver with this television? If so what Blu ray player are you using?
post #664 of 735 Old 04-24-2013, 03:02 PM

Liked: 13
I am using a STRDN1010 Sony receiver with a PS3 as my blu-ray.
post #665 of 735 Old 04-24-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 756
It's got to be isolated to the receiver model and/or something weird and unexpected like power supplying the receiver.................or something else attached to the receiver, like a shorted speaker.

BUT, more Straw-grasping: This caused a "restarting" of LG tv's at one point: Do you have a Plex server running in the house?

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/55965-plex-makes-tv-reboot/

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #666 of 735 Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 PM

Liked: 10
I'm not sure if my love affair with this model is going to last. I got it ten days ago, did the wall mount, and like a lot of things about it, but due to the mediocre uniformity, I'm thinking about returning it for the direct-lit LA6200 and living with the 60hz native. The pic doesn't show it as well as I'd like, but it's sort of an arch of white light leaking across the top, plus a little clouding/marbling elsewhere.

I'm coming from a 46" Samsung that had none of this. It seems more pronounced now than it did a week ago, backlight is at 72, which is as low as I can seem to go before colors get dull. Turning on the local dimming helps a little, but then most shades seem a little off, too dark.

I've seen worse, but I'm wondering if I just have to expect similar with an edge-lit this big (60"), and if anybody can suggest any fixes before I start the process of swapping it out. I've been through the whole fiddling with the screws, trying several different approaches to the settings, etc.
post #667 of 735 Old 04-25-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

It's got to be isolated to the receiver model and/or something weird and unexpected like power supplying the receiver.................or something else attached to the receiver, like a shorted speaker.

BUT, more Straw-grasping: This caused a "restarting" of LG tv's at one point: Do you have a Plex server running in the house?

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/55965-plex-makes-tv-reboot/

I actually do have a Plex server installed and running on my pc. I will turn it off and see if that helps. Thanks for the theories. Please keep them coming, I have to get to the bottom of this.
post #668 of 735 Old 04-25-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abel danger View Post

I actually do have a Plex server installed and running on my pc. I will turn it off and see if that helps. Thanks for the theories. Please keep them coming, I have to get to the bottom of this.
I'll look into the shorting speaker theory as well. I have noticed that "DTS HD Master" rolls across the display of the Receiver when I get the signal loss but I never lose audio. Any idea how i can easily identify if i do have a speaker shorting?
post #669 of 735 Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I'll look into the shorting speaker theory as well. I have noticed that "DTS HD Master" rolls across the display of the Receiver when I get the signal loss but I never lose audio. Any idea how i can easily identify if i do have a speaker shorting?

This is outside my particular experience, but receivers are ok with infinite impedance/resistance. They really hate 0. So unplug the speakers and see if the problem goes away.

But that's not what I would do first. Pounce on the Plex server right away and see if it's up to rev., but before that turn off the PC to fault-isolate this, etc.

And don't forget to report back. I'm dying to know.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #670 of 735 Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 PM

has anyone figured out how to do favorite channels on Harmony remotes?
apparently you can't use dash, but all my HD channels are 4-1,5-1,7-1....etc

thanks
post #671 of 735 Old 04-27-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

This is outside my particular experience, but receivers are ok with infinite impedance/resistance. They really hate 0. So unplug the speakers and see if the problem goes away.

But that's not what I would do first. Pounce on the Plex server right away and see if it's up to rev., but before that turn off the PC to fault-isolate this, etc.

And don't forget to report back. I'm dying to know.

Will do. Still not sure why either of these would only effect blu ray playback and nothing else but i'll try anything at this point. I'm off work tonight so ill try watching a couple of movies and hopefully have something good to report tomorrow. I have my own theory but i'm not sure if there is anything i can do about it. My theory is this: There is a blu ray copy protection known as Cinavia. The way it works is that it sends out a signal at random points of the movie to validate the source material as authentic. I think the receiver or the blu ray player may be having trouble processing this signal. Cinavia is almost exclusively used on blu ray movies, especially the newer ones. This would explain why I never have a problem with dvd movies or my video game systems. I also noticed that it never happens when I play IMAX Under the Sea blu ray, probably because it doesn't have Cinavia protection. By the way, all the blu ray movies I have are legit, no copies. Just a thought.
post #672 of 735 Old 04-28-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syphon00 View Post

has anyone figured out how to do favorite channels on Harmony remotes?
apparently you can't use dash, but all my HD channels are 4-1,5-1,7-1....etc

thanks

I have a 650 and couldn't figure it out either. I opened a support ticket and they added a "dash" command for me. I assumed they just added the command to the database for our TV but maybe they just added it to my specific account. Works fine for me now. If you do open a ticket maybe be more specific than me and ask that it be added to the database as well.
post #673 of 735 Old 05-06-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Will do. Still not sure why either of these would only effect blu ray playback and nothing else but i'll try anything at this point. I'm off work tonight so ill try watching a couple of movies and hopefully have something good to report tomorrow. I have my own theory but i'm not sure if there is anything i can do about it. My theory is this: There is a blu ray copy protection known as Cinavia. The way it works is that it sends out a signal at random points of the movie to validate the source material as authentic. I think the receiver or the blu ray player may be having trouble processing this signal. Cinavia is almost exclusively used on blu ray movies, especially the newer ones. This would explain why I never have a problem with dvd movies or my video game systems. I also noticed that it never happens when I play IMAX Under the Sea blu ray, probably because it doesn't have Cinavia protection. By the way, all the blu ray movies I have are legit, no copies. Just a thought.

Well shutting down the Plex Server had no effect. i still have the intermittent signal loss problem. I gotta tell you, it really sucks to drop 4k to upgrade your home theater setup and be plagued with this problem. Nobody, I mean NOBODY has an answer or a solution. I have exhausted every option and every resource. I guess i will just have to deal with it. At least maybe others will stumble across this post and avoid this problem by avoiding this combination of TV and receiver. Thanks to all for trying to help me with this.
post #674 of 735 Old 05-07-2013, 06:50 AM

I have had this TV for about 6-7 months now and I am starting to notice lines that run across the TV. It doesn't happen all the time but it is very annoying when it does. It doesn't happen when the tru motion is on but I get the S.O.E when that is on. Does anyone have any suggestions? Could turning off the Real Cinema help? Thanks!
post #675 of 735 Old 05-07-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith7309 View Post

I have had this TV for about 6-7 months now and I am starting to notice lines that run across the TV. It doesn't happen all the time but it is very annoying when it does. It doesn't happen when the tru motion is on but I get the S.O.E when that is on. Does anyone have any suggestions? Could turning off the Real Cinema help? Thanks!

Real Cinema is only effective for blu-ray movies. It takes 24p content and displays each frame 5 times, preserving the natural 24p film cadence (5:5 pulldown which eliminates judder instead of 3:2 pulldown). If you're a hardcore film purist, you'd leave Real Cinema on and TruMotion off. True Motion interpolates the motion between frames which results in the Soap Opera Effect.
post #676 of 735 Old 05-07-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith7309 View Post

Does this happen on lighter backgrounds? If so this could be a result of screen separation which would require a repair. That's what happened to my last LG television.
post #677 of 735 Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:

Well shutting down the Plex Server had no effect. i still have the intermittent signal loss problem. I gotta tell you, it really sucks to drop 4k to upgrade your home theater setup and be plagued with this problem. Nobody, I mean NOBODY has an answer or a solution. I have exhausted every option and every resource. I guess i will just have to deal with it. At least maybe others will stumble across this post and avoid this problem by avoiding this combination of TV and receiver. Thanks to all for trying to help me with this.

My one saving grace is the PS3. I have no signal loss what so ever when using that as my BDP. The only issue will be 3d movis that have 7.1 True HD audio. From what i understand the ps3 can't reproduce that as lossless audio. For the life of me I can't figure out why the ps3 works flawlessly for blu ray play back while Sony and LG standalone BD players have intermittent signal losses. I guess there must be a difference in the voltages between these players as someone pointed out earlier. Very strange. Hopefully the ps4 holds up like the ps3 on this issue lol.
post #678 of 735 Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:

Does this happen on lighter backgrounds? If so this could be a result of screen separation which would require a repair. That's what happened to my last LG television.

No it does it no matter what the background is. It happens when watching sports or just a normal TV program. It does not happen all the time. There is also no pattern to when it happens. It only lasts for a few seconds when it does happen. Have not noticed it when watching a movie yet.
post #679 of 735 Old 05-26-2013, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salnria View Post

ok I figure I can help yous out this is my calibration settings that I had done a couple weeks ago the guy took his time and all and colors look spot on on my tv hopefully they will look pretty good on your guys tvs as well.

Will try them, what is value for the user trumotion? also can you post the night settings please? and what picture settings you have for 3D? and PS3?
post #680 of 735 Old 05-26-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Keep in mind that using someone else's calibration settings may not work. It doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with your set it's just that no two sets have exactly the same component tolerances and what looks good on one set (which is subjective without the use of meters) may look like crap on another set. The viewing environment also has to be taken into consideration (viewing distance, angle, lighting, etc). TruMotion is strictly a personal preference. Some like motion interpolation (soap opera effect), some don't. Just play with it. There is no correct setting.
post #681 of 735 Old 05-26-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Keep in mind that using someone else's calibration settings may not work. It doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with your set it's just that no two sets have exactly the same component tolerances and what looks good on one set (which is subjective without the use of meters) may look like crap on another set. The viewing environment also has to be taken into consideration (viewing distance, angle, lighting, etc). TruMotion is strictly a personal preference. Some like motion interpolation (soap opera effect), some don't. Just play with it. There is no correct setting.
thanks Otto but I was asking Salnria, in the pics he has trumotion USER and I was wondering the value of it.
post #682 of 735 Old 05-26-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post

Like I said earlier the greyscale is out of whack so I was only able to do a 2 point adjustment. I set local dimming on high because the black levels were noticeably better but it threw greyscale off a little bit. My meter read gamma at 2.34 roughly compared to the target 2.2. To each his own though I guess. I noticed that David from Cnet did the same. He had the same problems adjusting Gamma also. The 65 backlight is at 40 fl. They say 30-40 fl is good for dark room viewing. Backlight at 48 put it at 30 fl. That is up to you also Cnet calibrates their TV's at 40 fl, contrast ration shouldn't suffer either way you go and the light bleed is less noticeable at lower backlight levels. I left sharpness at 10 because that was default that is totally up to you also. Most calibrators recommend 0 sharpness. I am just learning how to use the meter and think I have a decent idea on how to, but I am not ISF certified and I am self taught through trial and error. Hope these settings work for you and if you see something noticeably off let me know. P.S. Every TV is different and what my readings were might not be what's best for yours. Thank you.

Picture Settings

Picture Mode: Expert 1 or 2
Energy Saving: Off
Backlight: 65
Contrast: 84
Brightness: 52
H Sharpness: 10
V Sharpness: 10
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan

--Expert control menu--
Dynamic contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: BT709
Edge Enhancer: Off
xvYCC: Off [grayed out]
Color Filter: Off
Expert Pattern: Off [grayed out]
Gamma: 2.2

--White Balance submenu--
Color Temperature: Warm
Method: 2-points
Pattern: Outer
Red: 0
Green: 0
Blue: -24
Blue: 0

--Color management system submenu--
Red: [Saturation 0. Tint 0, Luminance 20]
Green: [Saturation -8. Tint 8, Luminance 4]
Blue: [Saturation 2, Tint 0, Luminance 24]
Cyan: [Saturation -11. Tint 0, Luminance 29]
Magenta: [Saturation 0. Tint 0, Luminance 11]
Yellow: [Saturation -5. Tint 0, Luminance 7]

--Picture Option menu--
Noise reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On
Eye Care: Off [grayed out]
LED Local Dimming: High
TruMotion: Off
Quote:

Like I said earlier the greyscale is out of whack so I was only able to do a 2 point adjustment. I set local dimming on high because the black levels were noticeably better but it threw greyscale off a little bit. My meter read gamma at 2.34 roughly compared to the target 2.2. To each his own though I guess. I noticed that David from Cnet did the same. He had the same problems adjusting Gamma also. The 65 backlight is at 40 fl. They say 30-40 fl is good for dark room viewing. Backlight at 48 put it at 30 fl. That is up to you also Cnet calibrates their TV's at 40 fl, contrast ration shouldn't suffer either way you go and the light bleed is less noticeable at lower backlight levels. I left sharpness at 10 because that was default that is totally up to you also. Most calibrators recommend 0 sharpness. I am just learning how to use the meter and think I have a decent idea on how to, but I am not ISF certified and I am self taught through trial and error. Hope these settings work for you and if you see something noticeably off let me know. P.S. Every TV is different and what my readings were might not be what's best for yours. Thank you.

Picture Settings

Picture Mode: Expert 1 or 2
Energy Saving: Off
Backlight: 65
Contrast: 84
Brightness: 52
H Sharpness: 10
V Sharpness: 10
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan

--Expert control menu--
Dynamic contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Color Gamut: BT709
Edge Enhancer: Off
xvYCC: Off [grayed out]
Color Filter: Off
Expert Pattern: Off [grayed out]
Gamma: 2.2

--White Balance submenu--
Color Temperature: Warm
Method: 2-points
Pattern: Outer
Blue: -24
Blue: 0

--Color management system submenu--
Red: [Saturation 0. Tint 0, Luminance 20]
Green: [Saturation -8. Tint 8, Luminance 4]
Blue: [Saturation 2, Tint 0, Luminance 24]
Cyan: [Saturation -11. Tint 0, Luminance 29]
Magenta: [Saturation 0. Tint 0, Luminance 11]
Yellow: [Saturation -5. Tint 0, Luminance 7]

--Picture Option menu--
Noise reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On
Eye Care: Off [grayed out]
LED Local Dimming: High
TruMotion: Off
Nice settings..... , which picture settings do you use for 3D? and PS3?
post #683 of 735 Old 05-26-2013, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonheart View Post

thanks Otto but I was asking Salnria, in the pics he has trumotion USER and I was wondering the value of it.

TruMotion User is the user-defined setting that you can specify other than the default Low, Medium, or High settings. When I use TruMotion my User setting is Judder 0 and Blur 3. But that's only for OTA tv. I never use TruMotion when watching blu-ray/DVDs. Again, just play around with it and see what you like, or don't like.
post #684 of 735 Old 05-27-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:

TruMotion User is the user-defined setting that you can specify other than the default Low, Medium, or High settings. When I use TruMotion my User setting is Judder 0 and Blur 3. But that's only for OTA tv. I never use TruMotion when watching blu-ray/DVDs. Again, just play around with it and see what you like, or don't like.
thank you which picture settings do you use?
post #685 of 735 Old 05-28-2013, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonheart View Post

Nice settings..... , which picture settings do you use for 3D? and PS3?

You really can't calibrate 3d, so I just went to expert 1 and kept it pretty default except in expert control I put dynamic contrast on high to give the 3d more pop. Expert mode in 3d gives the picture a more natural look than standard but the 3d doesn't pop as much unless you put on dynamic contrast. I normally wouldn't put it on, but for 3d it is a big difference. To answer your second question I do use a ps3. Hope this helps.
post #686 of 735 Old 05-28-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:

You really can't calibrate 3d, so I just went to expert 1 and kept it pretty default except in expert control I put dynamic contrast on high to give the 3d more pop. Expert mode in 3d gives the picture a more natural look than standard but the 3d doesn't pop as much unless you put on dynamic contrast. I normally wouldn't put it on, but for 3d it is a big difference. To answer your second question I do use a ps3. Hope this helps.
thank you! , going to try tonight. any settings for PS3? I am currently using the defaults.
post #687 of 735 Old 05-31-2013, 10:06 PM

I just got the set last week. 60 inch version. Anyone enjoy the "soap opera" effect? I do, don't know why, but I do.

John Hernandez
post #688 of 735 Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 AM

Liked: 12
I'm considering a purchase of the 60" set anymore opinions regarding this TV? I will be using the TV approx 50% gaming and the other 50 split between movies and sports. I see it received a pretty good rating in the input lag database which has sparked my interest.
post #689 of 735 Old 06-27-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centking View Post

I'm considering a purchase of the 60" set anymore opinions regarding this TV?

Other than the 680+ posts prior?

eric3316 likes this.

post #690 of 735 Old 07-04-2013, 06:28 AM

Liked: 12
I took the plunge and purchased this set 60" . wink.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60es6500 60 Inch 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page