SHARP LC-60LE745U WON'T UPDATE - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a new Sharp TV, LC-60LE745U combined with a Sony BDP-S790 3D Blu Ray Player. All HDMI connections. I have learned most operations on both units. It took some time to get a 3D movie working. The picture is great.

The one thing that I have been unable to do is properly download a firmware update. The TV refers to the update as software, but when I called Sharp they said that it is firmware. A pop up comes on saying that an update is ready and asks to update. [405U1210161] I click on yes and it starts to download but it always stops and sits on 67%. I have tried this a dozen times. Then after calling Sharp, I attempted the flash drive method. It stopped at 37% with each attempt. It would just sit for a half hour. A couple of features [never used] that I found when poking around had pop ups that said not in operation due to a partial download of an update.

Can anyone help with updating my Sharp? I am stumped. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-13-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Nobody has answered my question yet. I stopped by to check. I guess I could compare customer service between Sony and Sharp now that I talked to both on the phone. When I called SHARP to ask about the download problem I was told to put the firmware download on a flash drive and stick it in any USB that is empty and go from there.

When I first got the TV and the player [detailed in my prior post,] I couldn't play a movie and could only see black on the TV screen. I called Sony and told the man what my problem was. He didn't seem hurried like Sharp did. He asked for all the details including hookup. He asked if I had time and a portable phone so that he could walk me through the setup of the Sony Player from the beginning. He said that it makes little sense to attempt to correct one operation without starting from the beginning to make sure everything is working properly. I said, isn't that going to keep you on the phone for a long time? I don't mind but you might because I am not well learned [?] in electronics. His answer was that he had to work X number of hours no matter what he was doing so don't worry. I graduated from Sony 3D Blu ray Player Academy about one and a half hours later. I can't say enough nice things about Sony Customer Service. Not only did he set everything up but he taught me how to use it along the way.

I wonder if everyone uses the Sony Crackle for FREE movies? Pretty nice deal. The movies are free as long as you don't mind 5 or 6 fifteen second commercials during first run movies. That's right Fifteen seconds. The story is that Crackle used to be a pay movie site like Hulu or Netflix but they decided to go with short commercials for revenue and have the movies free. It's a real bargain. Well that's it for me. Please solve my update problem. Some people here have probably had this same thing happen to them. Thanks, Joe
post #3 of 28 Old 11-13-2012, 05:35 PM

I've been having the exact same issues that you describe with the firmware update- stops at 67% via network and stalls for a minute at 35% via usb. Although when i try the update via usb, i get all the messages saying it was successful but when the tv restarts it shows the old firmware and asks again if i want to update to the new version. I've been going back n forth with sharp tech support for a couple weeks now and they just run me through all the same steps and nothing has worked. They finally told me they would make notes of my case to have it looked at by the software team and that there were only a few cases of this happening to certain units and that they are working on a solution for the problem, that it was on their end. They've called me back a couple times saying they had a possible solution and all they were gonna do was run me through the usb method. I told them that every time they call they tell me the same thing and it still doesn't work, so they said they'll make a note of that and wont call back until there is a definite solution to the problem. This really sucks because I don't have cable or satellite and rely on netflix for tv & movies, and those features aren't available because of the update failing. I have the 2yr warranty from best buy so im thinkin' about contacting them to see what my options are.
post #4 of 28 Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

djrichrok,

Now I have started getting messages that nothing can be found on the flash drive. I'm giving up on calling Sharp, maybe a letter will get someone's attention. If it's OK with you I'll use your post, anonymously, as an example of others' complaints in my letter. I'll let you know if I hear anything. Joe
post #5 of 28 Old 11-15-2012, 09:50 AM

That's ok with me, anything to get this resolved- although I'm still trying to decide if I should wait it out or just return the tv to best buy. I'll keep you posted-
post #6 of 28 Old 11-15-2012, 01:32 PM

Liked: 14
Have had the same problem on mine for 2 weeks now.
post #7 of 28 Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 PM

I have been dealing with sharp for 3 weeks. Called tonight and Gregg told me that it was fixed. Tried the network update with no luck. Spent another 30 min. downloading the update to usb drive and that doesn't work either. Greg told me I needed to call back tomorrow during business hours. I have been fairly calm up until now. But I guess you get what you pay for and I should have done my homework before I purchased. I see alot of problems with Sharp TV's and their updates. Guess I'll call tomorrow? Let me know if anyone gets theirs to work?
post #8 of 28 Old 11-16-2012, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

djrichrok, 8traxrule, Sharpsucks,

Well, I did get several things started. I spent some time in Google picking out someone from The Sharp Corporation to be the recipient of my next letter. I did some multi-tasking [this is a great time to throw some business lingo around to impress] While doing that I came across one of those "contact us" options for Sharp. So I filled in all the info and this one allowed up to 1000 characters to explain the issue. Then I joined The Sharp Aquos Advantage something or other. It is some kind of complimentary thing to make people owning certain model Sharps feel that are, IMHO, extra special. What the heck, we already knew we were special!

While still feeling as though I had been anointed by the Pope, I received an Email from Sharp and was surprised to read that the first line said, "Unfortunately, there have been many issues with the firmware updates." I have to give them credit for not attempting to minimize the situation or put the blame on some customers who might not be electrical engineers. The letter went on to say that I should call and that this situation now had a case number. I called and for almost an hour they telephonically walked me through various procedures on the TV. It started with unplugging the set and then plugging it back in while one finger is on the input button and another finger on the negative volume button [on the set itself] while watching the screen for the letter "K" before releasing my fingers. Instructions continued on through more settings than I can recall and then we got to the one where I would ask for a manual download. It started off fine but ended just as all the rest...at 67%. Then I was told to get my flash drive ready and I would receive a call back in 30 seconds. I never did get that call. I left the TV sit that way for several hours while I used the PC and nothing changed. It just sat there at 67%. Then I got it out of that mode and attempted to go to Netflix, which we subscribe to, and we are now blocked from that due to the partial download problem. So we are now in worse shape than before. The regular cable channels through COX Cable are fine.

So that's it from here. I'll let you know what happens next. Joe
post #9 of 28 Old 11-17-2012, 06:06 AM

I called yesterday on my way home so I didn't get the guys name nor did I have my case number handy. Initially in the conversation he told me that only some people were having problems with the update and ask the same old questions and started walking me through the same routine. I told him that I have already done this several times and noticed the night before that the download dated 11-1-12 for the usb update looked to be the same as all the previous downloads I have done. He confirmed that there is not a new fix for the update and that nothing has changed with the download. I asked why they keep telling me to try the update when they know its not going to work? He asked for my phone number so he could pull up my case number. I asked why we can't revert to the old software so we can get back on to Netflix? He said if we reverted back to the old version it wouldn't work anyway because the Copyright has expired. I asked, if that's what this was all about? I asked has Sharp let the Copyright expire? I didn't get a clear answer! I asked him to make note to not call me until there is a fix! I told him I might take the TV back to Best Buy and made sure he knew I wasn't happy.... I could hear some typing in the background so, I guess that I'm on the hostile list!

I wonder if anyone who has elected not to do the this update is still running Netflix? It's obvious, after the new update is run that it removes or scrambles the access to Smartcentral / Netflix.
post #10 of 28 Old 11-17-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

I wrote Sharp again to remind them that my case number should still be considered active and problems increased from the firmware down load attempts. I'm glad that they don't want to do the same thing over again. They do know that this situation is being discussed on various forums and specifically this one. I think that is a good thing. They wrote in part:

“Thank you for contacting Sharp Electronics Corporation's AQUOS support.
I am very sorry for the inconvenience that you are having with your Sharp TV.
We are currently aware of the issue that you are experiencing and are in the
process of working on correcting the issue. I have routed your case number
up for call back once they locate a resolution.”

I guess that we will have to wait for a fix. At least they know there are more than a few customers with this problem. Joe
post #11 of 28 Old 11-17-2012, 02:53 PM

While I'm very annoyed that this has been going on for 2 weeks, at least it hasn't affected any of the TV's other operations, and most importantly Sharp is actually ADMITTING that this is a problem. If it were Vizio, they would say to everyone "this is the first time I've heard of this" and blame it on something on your end!
post #12 of 28 Old 11-23-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

TO EVERYONE HAVING A PROBLEM WITH FIRMWARE DOWNLOADS IN THEIR SHARP LC-60LE745U

I received a phone call today, Friday about 10:15 am, and the caller said that he was from Sharp Electronics. He said that they had developed a firmware update that has worked so far. He said that he has it on a 2 gig thumb drive and he would like to send it to me. He is going to ship it on Monday. The thumb drive also has complete installation instructions If this continues to work, I would think that Sharp will be sending these to everyone who complained and is on the list.
post #13 of 28 Old 11-24-2012, 03:12 AM

I got the thumb drive today and it was still a no-go. It got to 26% then showed an error message.
post #14 of 28 Old 11-28-2012, 04:05 PM

I got tired of waiting around on sharp so i ended up calling best buy to see what they could do for me, since i had the 2yr extended warranty. They sent a geek squad guy out and he just ordered what he called the main board, which holds the firmware/software. He came over today and installed it, then went through a few setup steps and now everything's working fine. It now has the latest software update, (which is not on the sharp website anymore btw) and seemed to have come pre-installed on the new board. When the geek squad guy called sharp to get some info he said they were well aware of the issue and my case so the problem seems to be ongoing still. Has anyone had any luck with the thumb drives from sharp? Well that's it for now, hope everyone gets this issue resolved- good luck.
post #15 of 28 Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 PM

Sharp said they would have someone call me about sending a serviceperson over but I haven't heard anything yet. Dealing with finals at school for the next 2 weeks so won't have time to deal with that or even watch any movies until those are over, but really don't want to have the set taken apart if I can help it. What's odd is that whatever was on that drive Sharp sent me is keeping the TV from doing any other kind of updating- it says "The TV does not need to be updated" when checking the internet and says there is no firmware on the thumb drive when I try the one I have with the downloaded firmware on it. Thinking of doing another reset on the TV but will have to write down my picture settings first so I can set that back easily.
post #16 of 28 Old 12-01-2012, 02:30 PM

Ended up downloading the older firmware onto the USB and loading that into the TV- the TV would start to do it, but recognize it as older firmware and not load it. So I'm thinking now I haven't lost the ability to update after all. The bad firmware seems to have been pulled from both the site and whatever the TV goes to to automatically update, so hopefully they'll put up corrected firmware soon. I've heard about Sharp being in financial trouble so hope that doesn't affect this- I just want the stuff to be able to work again, though this is still preferable to having problems viewing external sources which is what I mainly use the TV for.
post #17 of 28 Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post

TO EVERYONE HAVING A PROBLEM WITH FIRMWARE DOWNLOADS IN THEIR SHARP LC-60LE745U
I received a phone call today, Friday about 10:15 am, and the caller said that he was from Sharp Electronics. He said that they had developed a firmware update that has worked so far. He said that he has it on a 2 gig thumb drive and he would like to send it to me. He is going to ship it on Monday. The thumb drive also has complete installation instructions If this continues to work, I would think that Sharp will be sending these to everyone who complained and is on the list.

12/04/2012
The thumb drive from Sharp arrived yesterday. Attempted to install the update with negative results. The screen message said that there was no update on the drive. I put the USB drive into my PC to check it and found that it was completely empty. Blank! Wrote Sharp again. Joe
post #18 of 28 Old 12-06-2012, 11:40 PM

So then what happened? My thumb drive definitely has the file on it, but the TV shows an error when trying to update with it. I've been busy with homework and haven't had time to call Sharp, but still pretty annoyed with this whole thing.
post #19 of 28 Old 12-11-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

I just retrieved a phone message that said a 2nd USB would be sent to me. 12/11/12.
post #20 of 28 Old 12-23-2012, 01:43 AM

I'm REALLY annoyed now- Sharp sent out a new firmware update this week but my TV is STILL getting stuck at 67% when trying to download it. A service guy came over (he didn't seem too bright) and said that the last update essentially made the main board in my TV unable to update at all and will have to be replaced. Here's the kicker- I was called and told they would have to PICK UP the TV and bring it into the shop to replace the board, so I would be without it for about 3 days! They wanted to pick it up on Friday and then have it sit there a few extra days with Christmas coming up, so I told them to wait until after Christmas when at least they could get it back to me sooner. Is the main board in these really so hard to replace that they couldn't do it at my home though??
post #21 of 28 Old 12-23-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

I'm REALLY annoyed now- Sharp sent out a new firmware update this week but my TV is STILL getting stuck at 67% when trying to download it. A service guy came over (he didn't seem too bright) and said that the last update essentially made the main board in my TV unable to update at all and will have to be replaced. Here's the kicker- I was called and told they would have to PICK UP the TV and bring it into the shop to replace the board, so I would be without it for about 3 days! They wanted to pick it up on Friday and then have it sit there a few extra days with Christmas coming up, so I told them to wait until after Christmas when at least they could get it back to me sooner. Is the main board in these really so hard to replace that they couldn't do it at my home though??

Wow, that really does suck. I was a little hesitant to download the new software, fearing the same problems as before but everything went fine. As far as replacing the main board, its like a 30 minute process, if even that. I watched the complete installation process from beginning to end. The geek squad guy performed the whole repair on my coffee table. Anybody with basic computer skills can perform the repair, its just a matter of disconnecting the old board and plugging in the new one. It basically goes like this- remove all screws from the back cover, remove back cover, unscrew board from housing, disconnect all connections to board (like 3 or 4 wires), remove board and replace with new board, screw board back on to tv, connect the wires, screw on the back cover, go through some setup steps on the tv and its done. I've included a pic of the main board that was replaced.
post #22 of 28 Old 12-23-2012, 01:06 PM

I figured as much- the main board on my previous Vizio TV was replaced here 3 times. If the repair place is open tomorrow I'll ask them why they think they have to bring it in, and possibly call Sharp and see if they can get someone to replace it here as well. I'd do it myself if it didn't void the warranty. Reason I waited so long to deal with this in the first place is because I was busy but now have some free time.

The repair company is Video Tech Service in Sacramento, and I have ZERO confidence in them at this point. I have heard more than one person from there say some incredibly stupid things (one guy replaced the main board on my Vizio, saying he had never seen that model before, then when we turned it on and the problem with it still wasn't fixed, he said he didn't think it was fixable) - you would think with electronics repair being a declining business that the ones who didn't know what they were doing would be the first to go, but that isn't the case.
post #23 of 28 Old 12-23-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

I received a new flash drive from Sharp. This is my second one from them. THIS ONE WORKED! It came with instructions that I followed: Turn TV off. Put flash drive in a slot on the back of TV. Unplug the TV. Have someone hold the "on" button on the TV side while the TV is plugged back in...the button should be held in the ON position until the screen fills with the "firmware update" in progress message. Let go of the button and the update will continue, while the screen is a green color, and finally the update is accepted and finished. I had to turn the TV off and back on again to get away from the green colored message screen. Everything works fine now.

I also received a letter that said to call if there were any problems. The phone number is 800-237-4277. Have your case number handy. Good luck to all. Joseph
post #24 of 28 Old 12-23-2012, 07:11 PM

Thanks- I'll try calling them as soon as they're open again. Wonder if I can download that file anywhere?
post #25 of 28 Old 12-23-2012, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe two weeks ago I was given a way to download a firmware update. It was a somewhat complicated procedure, not using the normal way, but it didn't work. It seemed to be too old and the TV would not accept it. I'm not sure what they have posted now. I would think that update page is not up to date or they would not have sent the flash drive. The page should be fixed in the future because I doubt that they would continue to send flash drives in the future. The flash drive gave firmware update: 406U1212051 Joseph
post #26 of 28 Old 12-24-2012, 02:02 AM

Downloaded it and still got a red "Update failure" message. Grrrrr.
post #27 of 28 Old 12-31-2012, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

Downloaded it and still got a red "Update failure" message. Grrrrr.

Did you follow the directions that I posted where I have "THIS ONE WORKED" in bold letters? The post with directions is in one of the prior posts that I made. I received the thumb drive directly from Sharp so I am not sure about the downloads.
post #28 of 28 Old 01-01-2013, 01:53 AM

Yes- still got the Error message. Service people came and took the TV this morning. Happy blank-ing new year. Sharp will be getting a nasty letter from me.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos Lc60le745u 60 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv
Gear in this thread - Lc60le745u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page