Sony Hx950 65" Banding - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-14-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I was just curious how many others were having issues with Banding on the 950. I've had several units sent and one from Sony (which has some terrible service mind you). While the Samsung LED edge lit models are much worse, they also are $1500 less. Namely, this is most prominent in the center of the screen with a 4" wide band or dark area and is most noticeable on panning shots. Sony said on the phone they would rather buy my set back as no further swaps will be made after replacing one of the two I have.

I'm trying to figure out what the best course of action would be considering it seems these days picking a TV is boiled down to which set has the least offensive shortfalls. The Sony without the banding in my opinion would be one of the best sets without question if they didn't always try and cut corners as the 64" panels didn't do this on the 909. But as I understand it Sony is now outsourcing their panels and creating a lottery for their customers.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi BarrettF77

I just brought mine last weekend and noticed banding as you reported and as also is reported on other treads.
you are right..!!! without banding issues, this set will be one of the best so far... however, I got one with banding.
My set is manufactured November 2012. I just called SONY today and will keep you posted.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 12:13 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post

The Sony without the banding in my opinion would be one of the best sets without question if they didn't always try and cut corners

Hi Barrett, I know of your problems with the sony from the hx950 thread, which I followed from the start in hopes the 65" this time would't have the banding the hx929 had. I share your opinion, if not for the banding which i found inexcusable I would have kept my 65" hx929. I have read others here in the forum have the same opinion... the picture was gorgeous but the poor uniformity ruined the experience for me. It's a shame these xbrs' image processing is so good and refined to create the best possible picture, but the panels they used on them are not on the same level with a very poor quality control. Now it seems the only option from sony in 65" will be the 4k... but it's edge led and not full array and more expensive. I really hope the new panels they use this time don't suffer from banding. When I bought my full led local dimming set to avoid clouding and flashlights never expected this new problem with the sonys.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-09-2013, 10:19 PM

Hi Barrett / BurntIce:

Today I had the Sony technician visit and the service he provided was good so far. He got surprised for the banding issue and various testings were done on my set and took some pictures to ducument the issue for warranty validation.

Hopefully I will have a positive answer from Sony to have my set replaced.

what definitely help me out, were the utilities form the next page:

http://www.bealecorner.org/red/test-patterns/

the gradient 1k mp4 video was really helpfull, I saved the file on a USB and played on the set on one of it´s USB ports.

Let`s wait and see what happens next...rolleyes.gif
post #5 of 8 Old 05-10-2013, 04:42 AM

Liked: 11
Good luck DORIANG, keep us posted on Sony's response!
post #6 of 8 Old 05-10-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
All LED tvs even 4K especially over 65+ will exhibit vertical banding to some degree. You can exchange tvs a dozen times and you will still wind up with at least minor vertical banding. Even the LG $15,000 4K exhibits noticeable vertical banding. Considering the x900a 4K sets use the LG panels as well, it will be of no surprise as owners start to mention seeing minor vertical banding on those as well.

If you only see the minor banding on panning shots like hockey or soccer for example...I can tell you right now you are not going to get/find one with less.

If you see noticeable vertical banding at all times, than it may be an issue and an exchange may be warranted.

But to expect to get any LED 65+ with zero noticeable vertical banding is not a realistic expectation as it does not exist. Some owners may not be as sensitive to it or have a good enough eye to spot it.... but it is there.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-11-2013, 04:59 PM

Liked: 19
My 75" ES9000 doesn't have any vertical banding at all. My old 65" ES8000 had terrible vertical banding so I know what to look for. The ES9000 doesn't have even a hint of it, so it IS possible.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-05-2013, 07:20 PM

Hi Guys..!!!

Well finally I got my replacement last weekend and at this time as Cmay91472 mentioned, it is still some minor banding but not as bad as the previous one.
however as 1000 said I whish I were so lucky as him to have one with no banding which was my expectation.
now I just want to check some settings... do you know were I can find the service menú codes on the remote control to Access it?

Thanks so much for your comments.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65hx950 65 Inch Bravia Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page