What kind of TV is worthy (or not worthy) of spending $ on calibration? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung UN55D6900 I bought, and after reading about how some TV's are not worth calibrating because the options are very limited on them, I figured I would ask you guys if it's worth it with this set to get it calibrated. Is this considered a entry level, mid, or high end set?

And for the future, what is the barrier for level of TV you would consider getting calibrated? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I personally feel paying someone to calibrate your TV is a waste of money, period.

Buying or renting a calibration disc for your Blu Ray or DVD player is worth it, IMO, but not quite the same thing.

Samsung 51F5300B Plasma / Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #3 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 274
My $0.02. I think any tv you buy nowadays at, say 47" or bigger, can benefit from some sort of picture adjustment. It can be as simple as an Accurate Picture Adjustment using one of the many excellent calibration disks, AVS HD-709 (free), WoW, Spears & Munsil, DVE, etc. All tv's are going to have at the very least brightness, contrast, sharpness, aspect and color which can be set with any of the mentioned disks. And some tv's can show a marked improvement in pq by just setting those to standards. More advanced features such as CMS, 10-point grayscale, etc will require meters and special software so they can be truly calibrated. You can do that yourself but the cost in hardware and time learning is only something you can determine the worth of. But, as with all electronics, specs shift overtime so re-calibrating or re-adjusting periodically will be necessary. A professional or DIY calibration, depending on the tv, can last a couple of years but that's not guaranteed for all tv's even within the same model line. Whatever tv you choose to buy, I'd break it in for a period of time and if you want to tweak the settings, I'd first try a disk for accurate adjustments. If YOU are satisfied with the pq, you're done! Minimal cost and easy to re-adjust if necessary.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page