AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianlegend83 View Post

Do anyone know if vizio has plex app?

No, I've never seen the Plex app on the Vizio. Maybe on the 2013 TVs, they will have Google TV on them instead of Yahoo.

Rickie, Plex is a media streaming app like XBMC. (XBox Media Center). It allows you to catalog and stream media to a device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 255 Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14

I finished Day 2 of watching the Australian Open on this set. I have to say I'm dpleased with how the tennis looks. I still have the motion enhancers all turned off. I thought I might need to turn them on, but I don't. This is probably the longest I've run the TV at one time (12+ hours straight) on both days and I expect to continue for the entire week.

This was the main reason I ended up choosing a LED instead of a Panasonic Plasma (ST50 probably). So far I'm pleased with my decision.

I did notice one strange issue. druing primetime, we switched over to watch one of my OTA broadcast channels. I noticed some very minimal 'stuttering' in a few scenes. It's not blatant, but I noticed it in several scenes in a 1 hour broadcast. I checked a different channel and saw none. I then went back for another show on the original channel and noticed it again.

The following night I checked again, the channel with the stutters was broadcasting in 720p Dolby Dig. I watched a different channel that was also 720p and DD and no problem. I then watched a broadcast about half-way through using the OTA, saw a couple of stutters, then switched and watched the rest of the show using my DISH recv and saw no stutters. (I also receive locals via Satellite).

I've about decided that the stutters are being introduced by the local station broadcast itself. fortunately it really is very mininmal, infact the wife didn't even mention it, and if I'm not looking for it, I dont see it.

rick
post #93 of 255 Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM

Liked: 10
Hello all.

First of all, thanks for all of your posts. I took all of your advice in stride and purchased this model last week.

I absolutely love it.

I wanted to make sure everyone knows that if you register your tv with Vizio directly, they give you the option of purchasing a Square Trade warranty through them at a significant discount. I got the full 5 year warranty at $149, compared to $240 or so through Square Trades site.

I look forward to all of the tips and tricks to come.
post #94 of 255 Old 01-15-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenemg View Post

Hello all.

I wanted to make sure everyone knows that if you register your tv with Vizio directly, they give you the option of purchasing a Square Trade warranty through them at a significant discount. I got the full 5 year warranty at $149, compared to $240 or so through Square Trades site.

That's very good information. I don't imagine many people know about that.
Thanks for the tip.
post #95 of 255 Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 PM

Hello everyone,

I just read a review for the Vizio M3D650SV on Home Theater. They gave the 3d on that tv as excellent. 4 out of 5 stars.

Does the M3D651SV model have just as good 3d?

I am thinking of purchasing it from Amazon or Sams club.

I appreciate any and all help.
post #96 of 255 Old 01-16-2013, 02:31 PM

Newbie to posting here and not sure how to reply to specific parts of specific posts, so I'll just post in general. I've noticed some posts indicating people having issues accessing 3D content through DirecTV channels on the M3D651SV. Here's what I've had to do in order to view 3D content from DTV

I'm using DTV's HR21-200 receiver and run HDMI directly from the DTV box to one of the TV's inputs. While I believe DTV says its receivers should automatically recognize 3D TVs and no adjustment is necessary to view 3D content, I found this was not the case for me. DirecTV DID recognize my TV in one sense: 3D channels 103-107 that were "grayed out" in the on-screen Guide with my previous (non-3D) TV, suddenly showed up as available when I hooked up the DTV receiver to my new Vizio. But when I tried to play Channel 107, instead of all the conversions taking place automatically, I got a "split screen" effect - essentially the same picture side by side.

Using the Vizio remote, here's what I had to do: MENU > 3D > 3D again in the "Output Mode" box > select SENSIO in the "Content Format" box. Then select "OK" and watch with your 3D glasses.

When going back to 2D content, you have to go through the same basic steps: MENU > 3D > then change to 2D in the "Output Mode" box.

In other words, you have to change the settings on the Vizio itself to watch 3D content from DirecTV.

I've only watched a few minutes of 3D content so far, but the effects seem pretty good to me. No complaints. I also have a new Sony BDP-S590 3D Blu-ray player hooked up directly to the TV via HDMI. I haven't watched or even tested any 3D discs yet, so not sure if I'll have to make the same menu adjustments for that, but I suspect I might.

So far I generally like the TV. I'm not a true videophile and don't spend endless time tinkering with the settings, but I do like things to look relatively "real" or authentic. I also like a fairly bright picture - or perhaps it's just that I don't like watching a picture where the colors seem "dull" - so I tend to crank up the brightness a little. Other than that, the only real changes I've made so far is to turn off the "Smooth Motion Effect" in an effort to get rid of the "Soap Opera Effect" many others have commented about and which I noticed. The colors on the TV seem pretty good to me; my only complaint (minor one) is that it seems in some shots, particularly indoor studio-type shots, that there is a little more yellow than I like. I haven't tried to fix that yet and not even sure it's a problem, but wondering if anybody else has noticed the same thing? But sporting events and anything shot outdoors looks very good to me. All in all, pretty happy so far.
post #97 of 255 Old 01-16-2013, 04:35 PM

Watching a hd-dvd ( 1080I) movie shows me how bad COmcast is . 1080 i stations are not nearly as good . They are much softer . I was considering returning this tv until I realized it's the source . Of cource near me I can't get over the air nor is Verizon available .
post #98 of 255 Old 01-16-2013, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksfan52 View Post

Using the Vizio remote, here's what I had to do: MENU > 3D > 3D again in the "Output Mode" box > select SENSIO in the "Content Format" box. Then select "OK" and watch with your 3D glasses.

There is a 3D button on the bottom left of the remote that saves you a few steps instead of going through the menu.

On my 55", Vizio 554, when I select a 3D channel on DTV it automatically askes you if you want to switch. I don't know why the 651 doesn't. Maybe they will fix that with a fw update.

At my house up north I have cable and it doesn't matter if the TV is 3D or not. It shows the content. I don't know why DTV blocks it if the TV isn't 3D ready. Who's going to watch a split, Side by Side picture without 3D.
post #99 of 255 Old 01-17-2013, 12:34 PM

Does anyone know how can i change output resolution of the tv when i connect it to my macbook? It seems when the macbook is connect to the tv there are atleast 4 inch borders on all sides that are blacked out... is there anyway i can get the macbook to utilize all the 65" screen space available? For what its worth from the setting i selected 1080i and 1080p but i still cant get the picture at full screen. Any ideas?
post #100 of 255 Old 01-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksfan52 View Post

Newbie to posting here and not sure how to reply to specific parts of specific posts, so I'll just post in general. I've noticed some posts indicating people having issues accessing 3D content through DirecTV channels on the M3D651SV. Here's what I've had to do in order to view 3D content from DTV

.......Using the Vizio remote, here's what I had to do: MENU > 3D > 3D again in the "Output Mode" box > select SENSIO in the "Content Format" box. Then select "OK" and watch with your 3D glasses.

When going back to 2D content, you have to go through the same basic steps: MENU > 3D > then change to 2D in the "Output Mode" box.

In other words, you have to change the settings on the Vizio itself to watch 3D content from DirecTV.

I've only watched a few minutes of 3D content so far, but the effects seem pretty good to me. No complaints. I also have a new Sony BDP-S590 3D Blu-ray player hooked up directly to the TV via HDMI. I haven't watched or even tested any 3D discs yet, so not sure if I'll have to make the same menu adjustments for that, but I suspect I might.

......... it seems in some shots, particularly indoor studio-type shots, that there is a little more yellow than I like. I haven't tried to fix that yet and not even sure it's a problem, but wondering if anybody else has noticed the same thing? But sporting events and anything shot outdoors looks very good to me. All in all, pretty happy so far.

the only 3D I've watched are some 3D demo trailers from vudu. But when they started, the tv switched automatically to 3D, I didn't have to do anything. It also switched back to 2D when I stopped. I was actually expecting to have to manually do something, so I was surprised. But it sounds like that isn't the case for other sources. I don't have any other 3D sources (DISH doesnt have any 3D content in the package I have). I've been considering purchasing the Sony S590, but haven't yet.

I'm not sure I've noticed the yellow cast, though sometimes I feel like I see a reddish cast, but it seems hard to really tell on some shows/movies. I'm never sure where some of the color comes from (the tv or the movie). But I've tinkered around with the settings and you might want to try changing the color temp setting to custom and see if that suits you more. I watched that way for several days, but ended up switching back to color temp setting of normal. the normal setting gave me a what seemed like a 'warmer' picture.

Thanks
Rick
post #101 of 255 Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 PM

I now notice an issue that may be the TV or the Comcast signal . While watching news programs it is particularly obvious . The station logos and the names that appear are not sharp. They look like missing lines of resolution running horizontally .Does anyone have that ?If I watch closely they lines will go away as if the content is suddenly there . I'm having a hard time describing it .I'm wondering how I can tell if it is Comcast or the TV .I can see it when I put up the TV guide .
post #102 of 255 Old 01-17-2013, 11:19 PM

I am thinking about purchasing this tv or the non 3d version of it. I really don't care much about 3d but I am thinking perhaps with the next gen video game consoles I will benefit having a 3d tv. Speaking of 3d tv will it still work through my Onkyo receiver? I have everything going through it, 360, ps3, htpc, directv genie hd dvr etc. I have an Onkyo HT-RC160.

Also how is the lag playing games? Any problems there anyone know of?

thanks all
post #103 of 255 Old 01-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaganday View Post

I now notice an issue that may be the TV or the Comcast signal . While watching news programs it is particularly obvious . The station logos and the names that appear are not sharp. They look like missing lines of resolution running horizontally .Does anyone have that ?If I watch closely they lines will go away as if the content is suddenly there . I'm having a hard time describing it .I'm wondering how I can tell if it is Comcast or the TV .I can see it when I put up the TV guide .

I don't have comcast, but perhaps some others here do. I haven't noticed what you describe on my set, either via OTA or via DISH recvr. Can you post a pic maybe?

Rick
post #104 of 255 Old 01-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doox00 View Post

I am thinking about purchasing this tv or the non 3d version of it. I really don't care much about 3d but I am thinking perhaps with the next gen video game consoles I will benefit having a 3d tv. Speaking of 3d tv will it still work through my Onkyo receiver? I have everything going through it, 360, ps3, htpc, directv genie hd dvr etc. I have an Onkyo HT-RC160.

Also how is the lag playing games? Any problems there anyone know of?

thanks all

I have this version, I thought about getting the 650SVE (non-3D version), but I think from what I could see, there were a few other differences as well. I think one of them is local dimming, another is the speaker size and maybe fewer HDMI inputs, and a 240mhz sps (though I think I have it turned off anyway) . But I imagine it's pretty similar other than that.

I do like having the local dimming though.

I don't know if the 3D will go through your reciever or not.

Rick
post #105 of 255 Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Did any one wall mounted this TV?

if yes could you share your experience?
Do our wall need to be very strong to support this TV? or it depends upon the wall mount unit which we are going to purchase?
post #106 of 255 Old 01-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by injrav View Post

Did any one wall mounted this TV?

if yes could you share your experience?
Do our wall need to be very strong to support this TV? or it depends upon the wall mount unit which we are going to purchase?

I have mine on it's stand and don't plan to wall mount it. But surely someone here has mounted it on the wall. It is heavy though. I'd make sure your mount specs are adequate.

rick
post #107 of 255 Old 01-24-2013, 03:58 PM

Hmm . Bought mine from Costco and now they have the 70 inch Vizio for less than I paid for this model . Isn't that always the way ?
post #108 of 255 Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 PM

damn just found a dead pixel on mine.. what now? shall i contact vizio or just return it to Amazon?
post #109 of 255 Old 01-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaganday View Post

Hmm . Bought mine from Costco and now they have the 70 inch Vizio for less than I paid for this model . Isn't that always the way ?

Well, if it makes you feel any better, that set doesnt have some of the features that your M3D651 has.

Though I do expect to see the 651 price dropping some time this year as they get closer to releasing the 2013 models.

Rick
post #110 of 255 Old 01-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianlegend83 View Post

damn just found a dead pixel on mine.. what now? shall i contact vizio or just return it to Amazon?

I thought I saw in one of the threads that someone was able to 'resurrect' a dead pixel with some gently rubbing. Not sure where, or even if that is possible, but if I had one, I'd certainly give it a try.

If you decide to call Vizio, post what their response is. Also post how it works out returning it to Amazon if you go that route. I understand you have 30days with Amazon?.

Thanks
rick
post #111 of 255 Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 AM

Yes i am within the amazon return period..but what really worries me is that this TV is no longer even listed on the Vizio website. Even before it was taken down its been OOS for quite a while.. this does not make me feel comfortable becos once i am out of the 30 day return period with amazon who the hell knows what will Vizio do with this TV...it might take a month to get a replacement.. as is the 60" and 70" are having all sorts of problems according to the forums here and the Vizio's customer service is less than stellar.
post #112 of 255 Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 AM

Wow . This has me really concerned . I wonder if I should return this to Costco and go with another tv set /
post #113 of 255 Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 AM

Well i think i have made up my mind this set is going back for sure... Dont want to deal with Vizio agreed their pricing model is very appealing but their quality leaves much to be desired. Dont mind shelling out a few extra clams for a TV that will last 4 to 5 years. Thanks to amazon's return policy otherwise packing this bad boy up shipping it back and all this seems like a royal pain in the ass. It weighs a ton for an led TV ..Not everyone has a pickup truck or an SUV not does everyone have the time to be doing this back and forth all the time.

I wish plasma screens weren't so darn reflective and didnt have burn in problems otherwise i would just go for that and call it a day.
post #114 of 255 Old 01-25-2013, 04:50 PM

I'm really looking into this set and I've found the info on here very valuable. I am concerned some about the glare, but I think that will turn out fine in my home.

Two specific things I'm concerned about, other than that, are:

What experience has anyone had with gaming with this set, 3D or otherwise? I'm concerned with lag etc. Does their game mode work well? Specifically, I play PS3.

Also, is Vizio discontinuing this model, because I no longer find it listed as a product, but it is in their "store." If so, it seems it had a very short run for a set that sounds this good.

Any info is appreciated.
post #115 of 255 Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenzland View Post

I'm really looking into this set and I've found the info on here very valuable. I am concerned some about the glare, but I think that will turn out fine in my home.

Two specific things I'm concerned about, other than that, are:

What experience has anyone had with gaming with this set, 3D or otherwise? I'm concerned with lag etc. Does their game mode work well? Specifically, I play PS3.

Also, is Vizio discontinuing this model, because I no longer find it listed as a product, but it is in their "store." If so, it seems it had a very short run for a set that sounds this good.

Any info is appreciated.

I don't have any game systems, so I can't speak to lag or game performance. As far as discontinuing the model, This is a 2012 M series model. Vizio is planning to continue the M-series in 2013. I think from reading some articles that they are restyling it, but that is pretty normal I think.

rick
post #116 of 255 Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 AM

I have been tinkering with the picture settings for awhile now and haven't been able to quite get what I want. Anyone have some suggestions for picture settings basic all the way through advanced? Maybe I am being picky here but the picture on my the last tv, the Vizio XVT47 was incredible and this to date is not close. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
post #117 of 255 Old 01-29-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgordo78 View Post

I have been tinkering with the picture settings for awhile now and haven't been able to quite get what I want. Anyone have some suggestions for picture settings basic all the way through advanced? Maybe I am being picky here but the picture on my the last tv, the Vizio XVT47 was incredible and this to date is not close. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

The larger screens are never going to look as crisp as a smaller screen. I still have my 55" in the same room with the 65 and my nephew was over the other day and said the 55" looked much better. Much clearer and crisp picture.

But, I do think my 55" has better blacks with the full led rather than the edge lit. The 55 is definitely brighter. My 65 will be going back Thursday, not because of this but because the picture flutters when scenes change, like it can't refresh fast enough and now sometimes the picture freezes with a fast jitter on the screen and the sound continues. The only way to get the picture back is to turn the set off/on again.
post #118 of 255 Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

......... My 65 will be going back Thursday, not because of this but because the picture flutters when scenes change, like it can't refresh fast enough and now sometimes the picture freezes with a fast jitter on the screen and the sound continues. The only way to get the picture back is to turn the set off/on again.

Sorry to hear that. This is my first LED TV. But it is replacing a 65 Rear Projection CRT which I really liked. I had been pretty nervous about LEDs in general, but I have to admit, this pic quality is better than I had expected, and maybe as good as my RPCRT.

I have a feeling that they didn't sell nearly as many of these sets as they did the e-series.

Rick
post #119 of 255 Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgordo78 View Post

I'll give you mine, but you will probably need to tweak them to suit your taste.

I use two diff modes, Standard during the day and Movie at night.The only difference is that I have the Backlight set lower on the Movie mode

Settings are
Backlight - 70 (on the Movie mode I lower this to 40).
Bright - 57
Contrast - 70
Color - 49
Tint - 0
Sharp - 6
Color Temp - Normal
Red Gain - 128
Grn Gain - 128
Blu Gain - 128
Red Offset - 110
Grn Offset - 110
Blu Offset - 90
Adv Pic Settings:
Everything off EXCEPT:
Color Enhancement - Normal
Smart Dimming - on
Film Mode - auto

The I started out with the Basic settings using the AVS 709 calibartion patterns. Then I tweaked the advanced settings using scenes from some movies (Equilibrium early scene with all black and flasshes of light gunfire) I tweaked the Color Temp values mostly using a scene from Pirates of Carib - On Stranger tides - scene in the jungle with fog that originally looked too blue and scene from Wanda Nevada - scene on a boat in the river at night)

I then made some minor adjustments.

The AVS 709 Calibartion patterns can be found here in the Calibration Forum and are free to download. Your set may well have slightly different settings though.

Rick
post #120 of 255 Old 02-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Wow, sorry to hear some of you have had issues & are returning this TV. I am considering it. I read the Televisioninfo.com review and while the picture quality is considered decent, they said the set used 260w of power. Vizio rates it at about 100w avg. I am also surprised to hear of they rated it poor for motion issues, since this is a 240 hz set, do any of you see issues? I like watching ice hockey and other sports so this may be an issue. The review is for the 650 version & not the 651, is that the difference? It also concerns me that they have discontinued this model so soon.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio M3d421sr 42 Inch Lcd Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page