post #181 of 256 Old 03-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpadoc View Post

I'm going to try and use the optical out to my home theatre system again. I ran out of time, cable length, and patients the first time around. The video on the HTS is just a pass through, so I'm thinking if the optical out on the Blueray works ok the TV optical out should work also. We watched Avitar 3D again last night with some friends and they were amazed and wondered why they hadn't seen this model in the stores yet and come to think about it neither have I recently.

I've had my set using optical out for all inputs except for my Blu Ray. It works fine and passes DD 5.1. I used to have Blu Ray set up that way, but could not get DTS over the Optical out, so I put in digital out from Blu Ray to AV reciever so I could get the DTS.

Thanks
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 256 Old 03-24-2013, 05:06 PM

Liked: 10
So its not just me then. When I had a optical out on my set top box I ran optical from the set top box and Blueray to the HTS along with HDMI from the set top box to the TV and HDMI from the Blueray to the TV so I could choose DTS or HTS for audio. I'm liking the DTS enough to make that the defalt audio usless the house needs to be rocked, but now can only work it through the Blueray.
It sure is a slippery slope when you upgrade, now I need a new HTS receiver with HD and 3D pass through (HDMI).
post #183 of 256 Old 03-24-2013, 05:32 PM

I just orderd this on a recomendation from another site for the set top box to convert to optical audio.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2947&seq=1&format=2
post #184 of 256 Old 03-25-2013, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, it is a slippery slope. My Audio Recvr only has one digital Optical, and one digital Coax. I use the digital optical from the Vizio and the digital coax from the Blu Ray. But that works for me, since as far as I can tell, my DISH set top box doesn't output DTS anyway. And I'm fairly certain that OTA doesn't broadcast DTS.

Thanks
rick
post #185 of 256 Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 AM

I just got my 651 optical out to work through my HTS with my new longer cable. just had to turn off the 651 speakers first. I'm still going to try the optical converter from the set top box when it gets here to compare. The DTS is impressive and will be used most of the time though.
post #186 of 256 Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 AM

All the hastle with the new TV, HTS, and cable providers was worth the price of admission last night when we watched a couple of IMAX movies DVR'd from 3net.
post #187 of 256 Old 03-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

All the hastle with the new TV, HTS, and cable providers was worth the price of admission last night when we watched a couple of IMAX movies DVR'd from 3net.

That's good to hear. if you're like me, now you can stop worrying about component models and cables and settings and really start enjoying it!

I've read that LEDs don't need any break in, but I feel like my picture quality has improved over time. I don't expect to hear much from DISH regarding 3Net so I still haven't viewed any 3D, but I'm pretty happy satisfied with with the picture quality I'm getting.

Rick
post #188 of 256 Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 AM

Interesting 3D website http://good3dtv.com/
post #189 of 256 Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 AM

Liked: 11
Just got my m3d651 about 4 days ago. Ive notice quite a bit of light bleeding around all edges. Some edges and corners are really bad. I have my backlight down to about 10 and still noticeably. Let me know if you guys have light bleeding? Is it normal? Ill try yo post a pic when it gets dark.
post #190 of 256 Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
All edge-let LED's have that but some show more, if you can see it with the picture on screen then you may have a problem, but if its without anything being displayed thats normal. Its called flash-lighting.
post #191 of 256 Old 04-07-2013, 08:59 AM

Thanks, I do notice in the upper right corner of tv when shows are on. I dosnt have any dead pixels so im kind of dreading packing it up and taking back.
post #192 of 256 Old 04-07-2013, 09:51 AM

I also noticed the blacks aren't that deep. The kids play the ps3 and sometimes when the games are loading tv falls asleep it seams like. Is there a power saver feature turned on?
post #193 of 256 Old 04-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveselectric View Post

I also noticed the blacks aren't that deep. The kids play the ps3 and sometimes when the games are loading tv falls asleep it seams like. Is there a power saver feature turned on?

there is an local dimming feature that you can turn on and off. If the entire screen is displaying a black signal for very long you can get that affect. Looks like it's turning itself off. But the local dimming is good for helping to cut back the light bleeding.

As far as your earlier post, I have this set and I had some pretty minimal flash lighting mostly visible only when screen was all black signal. I was able to reduce it even more when I enable local dimming feature and turned down backlight to around 50. But I've had my set for several months now and have my backlight up to 70, and even with local dimming off, I only see flashlighting when I tune to an input with no signal at all. Also make sure your ambient light sensor is off, otherwise I think it will be setting your backlight level itself rather than using your setting.

I think the flashlighting may vary from set to set, even within same model.

Rick
post #194 of 256 Old 04-16-2013, 09:24 AM

post #195 of 256 Old 04-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Glasses Free 3D, wow where did that come from !! http://good3dtv.com/3d-tv/dolby-3d-joins-hands-with-cpg-to-bring-glasses-free-3d-tv-to-the-home-entertainment-scene/

I agree with their premise, but I'll wait to see how well they can implement at a price point that consumers will accept.

Rick
post #196 of 256 Old 05-02-2013, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Just started looking into this Vizio model and I have some basic questions for owners:
Does it have 2D-to-3D conversion?
How is the 2D PQ when viewed off-axis? How quickly does the PQ dim or wash out?
Same question for 3D viewing?
Anyone using a Harmony One remote with this TV? If so, any issues?
Would you buy this TV again?
Thanks

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #197 of 256 Old 05-02-2013, 09:17 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

Just started looking into this Vizio model and I have some basic questions for owners:
Thanks

No. Yet no big loss, that as I have seen as my BD player does it is more of a gimmick than anything else.(If you do want that, just buy a BD player for that)
Wife watches from an angle, no issues and the family loves the set.
3D is simply amazing... i have had an active set before and this passive blows it away. Passive VS active war for me is over, passive hands down
Yes i do have a harmony and it works great
absolutely without question

if you do buy, i would suggest an extended warranty..NOT because I have had issues, the set is awesome... for that piece of mind...

I for one dont regret for a second having this set, i even came down from a 73 inch DLP for it and it is night and day.... Great TV.
post #198 of 256 Old 05-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

Thanks

I'll second Datagg's comments for the most part. Though I don't have any 3D sources so I can't speak to that. For the rest, I agree with Datagg. I also have a Harmony remote, model 650 and it worked fine, once I figured out how to add a power on delay to the remote.

Thanks
Rick
post #199 of 256 Old 05-02-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post

I'll second Datagg's comments for the most part. Though I don't have any 3D sources so I can't speak to that. For the rest, I agree with Datagg. I also have a Harmony remote, model 650 and it worked fine, once I figured out how to add a power on delay to the remote.

Thanks
Rick

Actually you do have a source Rick for 3D. The apps in the TV. The netflix app as of now dont have it yet, (Vizeo says soon) but the Vudu app has 3D movies. There are also a few other apps that have 3D content also on the set. Great set for 3D, dont miss out on it.

peace...
post #200 of 256 Old 05-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datagg View Post

Actually you do have a source Rick for 3D. The apps in the TV. The netflix app as of now dont have it yet, (Vizeo says soon) but the Vudu app has 3D movies. There are also a few other apps that have 3D content also on the set. Great set for 3D, dont miss out on it.

peace...

Actually, that's true, and in fact I tried out some of the demo 3D clips on either Vudu or Hulu just to see how they looked.

Thakns
rick
post #201 of 256 Old 05-02-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post

Actually, that's true, and in fact I tried out some of the demo 3D clips on either Vudu or Hulu just to see how they looked.

Thakns
rick

My pleasure... TV rocks not to use it to full potential. Glad you finally have a chance to now wear them glasses you got. smile.gif
post #202 of 256 Old 05-03-2013, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Thanks for the responses to my queries about this TV; much appreciated and helpful.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #203 of 256 Old 05-07-2013, 07:32 AM

Looks like another 3D channel coming soon and the big box stores are restocking 3D TV's again. I saw a 65" (brand?) at Costco yesterday as I was rushing by for almost $2600. Still love my cheap 651 though. smile.gif

http://good3dtv.com/3d-tv/sensio-launched-3d-vod-service-in-the-us/
post #204 of 256 Old 05-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Looks like another 3D channel coming soon and the big box stores are restocking 3D TV's again. I saw a 65" (brand?) at Costco yesterday as I was rushing by for almost $2600. Still love my cheap 651 though. smile.gif

http://good3dtv.com/3d-tv/sensio-launched-3d-vod-service-in-the-us/

Yes, I'm pretty happy with my 651 as well (and really like the price). In fact, I really do think my pic quality has improved in the last couple of months. I know the LEDs aren't supposed to have a breakin period, but it sure seems like at around the 4 - 6 month mark my pic quality improved.

Thanks
Rick
post #205 of 256 Old 05-20-2013, 02:25 AM

I've had my M3D651SV for about 6 months now and I've been loving it. Last week (IIRC) I received a notification upon turning the TV on that the firmware had been updated, and I'm now at 3.18.2.1164.

Ever since the update (unless it was just a coincidence), I've been having strange issues with the TV. I have my HTPC and several consoles hooked up to a Pioneer VSX-33 receiver, which then goes to my TV. Sometimes when watching movies or TV in fullscreen through media center, the right half of the TV will be a solid pink block while the other half has colors inverted. This only happens in full screen. Flipping Game Mode off then back on (or on then back off) seems to correct this, and the image is displayed correctly as soon as I switch the feature off or on from what it was at before. When watching TV or recorded TV through the HTPC, the image will blank out (screen goes fully black) for about one second seemingly randomly throughout the shows, multiple times per minute. When playing PS3, the image will turn to white "snow" for a split second, also randomly, but rarely. These are the only issues I've experienced so far (but experience them every day), and they're very annoying issues.

I've tried switching different settings, turning features on and off, and nothing seems to correct it. It's driving me crazy.

I've had zero issue with these things (or with the TV in general, at all) before the update.

Is there any way to manually flash firmware on this TV? Is everyone else on this firmware version as well, and if so, has anyone experienced issues like these? Any ideas what could be causing it?

Thanks in advance. Really hoping to fix this.
post #206 of 256 Old 05-20-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivad View Post

I've had my M3D651SV for about 6 months now and I've been loving it. Last week (IIRC) I received a notification upon turning the TV on that the firmware had been updated, and I'm now at 3.18.2.1164.

Ever since the update (unless it was just a coincidence), I've been having strange issues with the TV. I have my HTPC and several consoles hooked up to a Pioneer VSX-33 receiver, which then goes to my TV. Sometimes when watching movies or TV in fullscreen through media center, the right half of the TV will be a solid pink block while the other half has colors inverted. This only happens in full screen. Flipping Game Mode off then back on (or on then back off) seems to correct this, and the image is displayed correctly as soon as I switch the feature off or on from what it was at before. When watching TV or recorded TV through the HTPC, the image will blank out (screen goes fully black) for about one second seemingly randomly throughout the shows, multiple times per minute. When playing PS3, the image will turn to white "snow" for a split second, also randomly, but rarely. These are the only issues I've experienced so far (but experience them every day), and they're very annoying issues.

I've tried switching different settings, turning features on and off, and nothing seems to correct it. It's driving me crazy.

I've had zero issue with these things (or with the TV in general, at all) before the update.

Is there any way to manually flash firmware on this TV? Is everyone else on this firmware version as well, and if so, has anyone experienced issues like these? Any ideas what could be causing it?

Thanks in advance. Really hoping to fix this.

As of last night, I'm still on the original firmware. I'll check mine once it gets updated.

Other than the issues you are having, have you noticed anything new with the update? It doesn't look like Vizio posts a changelog for updates so we are left to figure it out on our own.
post #207 of 256 Old 05-20-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator06 View Post

As of last night, I'm still on the original firmware. I'll check mine once it gets updated.

Other than the issues you are having, have you noticed anything new with the update? It doesn't look like Vizio posts a changelog for updates so we are left to figure it out on our own.

They added Game Mode, and there were some updates to some of the TV Apps (adding Yahoo weather and Sports I believe). I managed to stumble upon a press release about it last night while I was researching, I'll update this post if I can find the link again.

EDIT: Found it, that was easy: https://vizio.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/83

EDIT 2: This fix appears to have solved the issue (at least with the video playback). I'll report back if any other issues persist or pop up.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?p=48922#p48922
post #208 of 256 Old 05-20-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivad View Post

They added Game Mode, and there were some updates to some of the TV Apps (adding Yahoo weather and Sports I believe). I managed to stumble upon a press release about it last night while I was researching, I'll update this post if I can find the link again.

EDIT: Found it, that was easy: https://vizio.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/83

The original firmware for this TV already included game mode, as well as the TV apps that were mentioned, and the other features such as 5.1 output. This looks like an old press release from 2010, and even though it says it was updated this month, I don't see what is new that we didn't already have.
post #209 of 256 Old 05-20-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator06 View Post

The original firmware for this TV already included game mode, as well as the TV apps that were mentioned, and the other features such as 5.1 output. This looks like an old press release from 2010, and even though it says it was updated this month, I don't see what is new that we didn't already have.

Gotcha, then I have no idea what was added or fixed smile.gif I did receive the update notification last week, though, and the aforementioned firmware version is what I'm on now..
post #210 of 256 Old 05-20-2013, 03:46 PM

Just for clarification, my current firmware version is 2.15.2.0894. As far as I know, this is the same version I've had since I bought the TV in November. Looking forward to seeing if they have added any new features with the new version. One fix I'm hoping I see is for the occasional studdering or dropped frames when watching cable TV.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio M3d421sr 42 Inch Lcd Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page