Panasonic TC-L55ET5 or Samsung UN55EH6001 BLACK FRIDAY - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 11-17-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

So been looking at upgrading my LG 47" as its starting to die on me and with BlackFriday around the corner im definitely in the mood to pick up a new TV.

Currently have a budget of 1000 to spend and been looking at getting either the Samsung or Panasonic from Bestbuy.

Any recommendations on either? I read the reviews on the EH6000 and saw CNET's video review and was less then impressed.

Panasonic features a slim design, 3D capability (dont really care for this, i have a 73" in the living room with 3D and hardly ever use it), wifi capability however ive always thought of Samsung being a better quality TV than Panasonic...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-17-2012, 08:46 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamidesigner View Post

Hey Guys,
So been looking at upgrading my LG 47" as its starting to die on me and with BlackFriday around the corner im definitely in the mood to pick up a new TV.
Currently have a budget of 1000 to spend and been looking at getting either the Samsung or Panasonic from Bestbuy.
Any recommendations on either? I read the reviews on the EH6000 and saw CNET's video review and was less then impressed.
Panasonic features a slim design, 3D capability (dont really care for this, i have a 73" in the living room with 3D and hardly ever use it), wifi capability however ive always thought of Samsung being a better quality TV than Panasonic...

go for TCL55ET5. Specs comparison with UN55EH6000 here,
http://tv-compare.blogspot.com/2012/11/tc-l55et5-vs-un55eh6000.html
post #3 of 21 Old 11-17-2012, 09:00 AM

Liked: 12
The strong point of the Panny 55et5 LED is passive 3D with cheap theater type glasses.
If you are not interested in that feature there is 55e50 (if I have my Panny's models correct).
But I would also think Samsung makes a nice LED set if you don't want passive 3D I am not sure that Panny is obvious choice.
I am looking at the 55ET5 also but I like the passive 3D capability.
post #4 of 21 Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTBill View Post

The strong point of the Panny 55et5 LED is passive 3D with cheap theater type glasses.
If you are not interested in that feature there is 55e50 (if I have my Panny's models correct).
But I would also think Samsung makes a nice LED set if you don't want passive 3D I am not sure that Panny is obvious choice.
I am looking at the 55ET5 also but I like the passive 3D capability.

Overall im mostly interested in the best picture quality possible. 3D is a plus but not a factor. I do also like the Panny being a slim TV vs Samsung not so thin LED. I am gearing more towards the Panny right now. The one thing i dig on the Samsung is the 5 million DCR vs Panny 2 million(unconfirmed, got this from some site)
post #5 of 21 Old 11-17-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

Hey Guys,

assuming you can get a Samsung S-PVA panel on that 55" EH6001, it's the obvious choice for better overall PQ, especially with regard to contrast and blacks

IPS panels (typically used in Panasonics and LGs) just can't compete with S-PVA panels for black levels

also, the Samsung is full array while the Panasonic is edge-lit, which gives the Samsung a huge advantage in terms of screen uniformity
post #6 of 21 Old 11-17-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

assuming you can get a Samsung S-PVA panel on that 55" EH6001, it's the obvious choice for better overall PQ, especially with regard to contrast and blacks
IPS panels (typically used in Panasonics and LGs) just can't compete with S-PVA panels for black levels
also, the Samsung is full array while the Panasonic is edge-lit, which gives the Samsung a huge advantage in terms of screen uniformity

So i took your advice and decided to go check them both out at my local BestBuy. Wow i am so glad i went down there, the quality on the Panny does NOT compare to the Contrast/Blacks of the Samsung. MUCH better PQ in my opinion so i guess i'll be getting myself into the Samsung after all. Just wish it would be thinner!! Overall though i think its the best choice for what im looking for and that is picture quality first and foremost.
post #7 of 21 Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

So i took your advice and decided to go check them both out at my local BestBuy. Wow i am so glad i went down there, the quality on the Panny does NOT compare to the Contrast/Blacks of the Samsung. MUCH better PQ in my opinion so i guess i'll be getting myself into the Samsung after all. Just wish it would be thinner!! Overall though i think its the best choice for what im looking for and that is picture quality first and foremost.

the bezel is pretty thin and the panel thickness tapers near the edges so the TV looks very slim until you get far enough off-axis to make the picture look unwatchable anyway... so not really a concern unless you plan on wall mounting the set
post #8 of 21 Old 11-18-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Actually I do plan on mounting it. Hopefully I can get a swivel mount but I don't expect to be moving the TV much anyways as its for the bedroom and will be placed directly in front of the bed.
post #9 of 21 Old 11-18-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
It's funny I just stumbled across this thread. I was looking for the exact same comparison for these two. The Samsung is also 100 bucks cheaper which doesn't hurt. (Of course the Panny includes 4 pairs of 3d glasses if you're into that sort of thing smile.gif )

So based on your viewing, you think the 6001 is a nice step up from the 6000 that was reviewed?

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #10 of 21 Old 11-18-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

From my own personal comparison between the contrast and blacks between the both the Samsung looks much better. The Panasonic didnt look LED at all, the image quality was weak. Sure it features wifi and 3D but what good is that if the quality sucks.

Mind you from the review on CNET of the Samsung they gave it a very bad review which to be honest was my reason to go for the Panny at first but after seeing them both at best buy my mind was made up.

I recommend u go down to your local bestbuy and check them both out in person and decide what looks best for you.
post #11 of 21 Old 11-18-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

From my own personal comparison between the contrast and blacks between the both the Samsung looks much better. The Panasonic didnt look LED at all, the image quality was weak. Sure it features wifi and 3D but what good is that if the quality sucks.
Mind you from the review on CNET of the Samsung they gave it a very bad review which to be honest was my reason to go for the Panny at first but after seeing them both at best buy my mind was made up.
I recommend u go down to your local bestbuy and check them both out in person and decide what looks best for you.

I'm not too concerned with top notch quality. This is going to go in the game room and it's primary use will be some sat/gaming via my daughter. I have the projector for critical viewing. smile.gif

I don't put too much stock in the viewing at my local BB. They are all fed an low quality signal and have the settings all jacked around.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #12 of 21 Old 11-18-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I'm not too concerned with top notch quality. This is going to go in the game room and it's primary use will be some sat/gaming via my daughter. I have the projector for critical viewing. smile.gif
I don't put too much stock in the viewing at my local BB. They are all fed an low quality signal and have the settings all jacked around.
I would lean toward the Samsung, like you said not the best but better picture quality than the Panasonic.
post #13 of 21 Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 AM

I have been looking at the same thing... did you consider the 60" Sharp LC-60LE600U for $1000?... Im leaning towards that one... would be decent upgrade for me from my 46" Sony Bravia 720p...
post #14 of 21 Old 11-19-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpofsc View Post

I have been looking at the same thing... did you consider the 60" Sharp LC-60LE600U for $1000?... Im leaning towards that one... would be decent upgrade for me from my 46" Sony Bravia 720p...

Not really a fan of Sharp, im an LG or Samsung guy myself.. Panasonic i used to have an old CRT that lasted for more then 10 years so thats why i even considered the panny.

I've made the plunge anyways already for the Samsung through Amazon.com for 880. Plan on calling once its actually on BF Sale to see if they match BestBuys price. I have it scheduled for delivery for Friday biggrin.gif
post #15 of 21 Old 11-20-2012, 08:46 AM

Liked: 11
Can I set up the Panasonic to do the split screen multiplayer into full screen trick, like the LG dual play, since it is passive 3D? Anyone ever try it on this device?
post #16 of 21 Old 11-21-2012, 12:06 PM

Why how much does BB have the Samsung on sale for on Black Friday? I only saw the Pana in their ad?
post #17 of 21 Old 11-23-2012, 08:22 PM

$799.00 Yeah, I got one!
post #18 of 21 Old 11-23-2012, 09:58 PM

Pick me one up today as well thanks for the comparison and great info guys.

Steam/PSN/Xbox/Origin: Fox_Mamba
post #19 of 21 Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 AM

Between these 2 I agree, the Samsung has better blacks and is brighter than the Panny. I have a UN55ES7100 which is almost the same as the 6000 series and the picture is great for an LED, especially in brighter rooms(mine is on a 3 season covered patio).

For pure picture quality, however, I much prefer the picture of my Panasonic 65GT plasma. So much so that it's hard for me to watch movies or football on the Samsung without being aware of the inferior picture. Granted the Panasonic 55GT plasma is almost twice as much, but there is a distinct picture quality improvement. Maybe I'm just biased towards plasma.
post #20 of 21 Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

A friend of mine picked up the Sammy earlier this week after comparing these 2 sets. I personally haven't been that impressed with Panasonic's LCDs--I have a 32" Panasonic in a bedroom. Tahoe, I completely agreed on Panasonic plasmas. They're the best sets (PQ wise) you can buy since Pioneer left the market.
post #21 of 21 Old 11-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

The 55ST can be had for much less than the 55GT however it lacks the infinite black panel. It still has a remarkable picture.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc L55et5 55 Inch 1080p 3d Full Hd Ips Led Lcd Tv With 4 Pairs Of Polarized 3d Glass
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page