Need Help Selecting a New TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-17-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I recently remodeled my basement and am looking for a new TV. I haven't shopped for one in 5 years since I bought a Bravia, so I could use some help as I know that the technology has changed so much. I'm very much a noob at this point. If anyone has any articles that they wouldn't mind posting a link to that can get me up to speed, I'm certainly interested in learning more. I just don't have the time to delve into full blown research on this like I used to when I had more time for this hobby.

Price: I'm looking at be in the $1200 or less range preferably.

Size: Likely 46"

Use: I plan on using it for a bunch of things, but probably mostly Sports TV, then movies, then games

Features: I'd like a web enabled TV that can allow me access to some streaming movie companies, none of which I have accounts with at this time. Youtube, Pandora, Skype, Facebook, all pluses. I have no idea if I can break into 3D at this price point. The Samsung Smart hub propaganda looks pretty cool, again, no idea whether $1200 gets me into that.

The TV will have a few very bright LED ceiling lights in front of it, which might be on dimmer, so brightness is kinda important.

Thanks to all who can offer some suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-17-2012, 06:10 PM

Liked: 16
Id suggest the Sony HX750 or Samsung ES7100. I have hardly heard anything but positive reviews about these two tvs this year. 1200 for a 46" will definitely get you to these models. Each is 3D, smart enabled, LED, 240hz. LG makes a great TV but I found that Samsung and Sony do a better job with motion flow and auto motion plus features. Samsung has creeped ahead of Sony in recent years but Sony still makes a solid TV.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-17-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Danediz,
Awesome, thanks a lot for the options. There are so many models out there. Do most 3D TVs require the glasses? I heard that some don't need them anymore - can that be true?
Is the Sharp Aquos still a quality TV? 5 years ago they seemed #1 or #2 to Sony. I heard that Sharp is hurting financially.
Thanks again!
post #4 of 5 Old 11-17-2012, 07:06 PM

Liked: 12
Impossible to say what $1200 will get you on Black Friday. I've seen the LG7600LM 55''inch with a bunch of extra goodies for $1200, and that TV is on par with the 750HX as far as picture quality. If i were you, i'd check out of the ad scans for black friday on Slickdeals.net and look for the best deal.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-21-2012, 08:12 AM

Liked: 12
you won't go wrong with either 46ES7100 or 46HX750,
http://tv-compare.blogspot.com/2012/11/un46es7100-vs-kdl-46hx750.html
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page