Panasonic TC-L50 EM5 - any input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Sorry in advance if there is already info, but the wonderful search doesn't find me anything.

I am looking to buy this 50" Edge Lit LED for my In Laws.  All they need is a VERY basic TV now that their old one died.

Any reason I should avoid this one...I have a Panny 65" ST and just love it...so I figured this has to be at least decent for them.

They have a bit of light in their room, plus I am worried about burn in, so I wanted to avoid a plasma for them.

Here are the specs on Panny's web site if this helps.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-L50EM5?t=overview

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-18-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Are the no replies because this is a new model - I simply cant find much out about it...anybody ?

post #3 of 15 Old 11-20-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I guess I will take a chance...cant believe no one has any experience with this  - but thanks to the 37 folks who tried  :-)

post #4 of 15 Old 11-21-2012, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I saw one of these at Costco today, it looked shockingly good. I thought I was looking at a plasma. In my opinion it was the best looking lcd in it's size on display. Really good off angle viewing and a incredible picture, much better than everything else that was there. This is just my opinion, just what I saw for the 10 minutes looking at tvs today.
scooter520 likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-21-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I picked one up for my inlaws...and it came earlier this afternoon and OH MY GOD....it is CRAZY AWESOME!  And the price...my goodness...hard to beat.

I made a few minor adjustments and it is a killer picture...LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

post #6 of 15 Old 11-27-2012, 06:42 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the input, I came across this thread much the same as you did, looking for info on the TC-L50EM5.

Here's my (brief) story:
I waited in line on Thursday for the 50" Toshiba (50L2200U) for $299.99 at Sears. Though I was one of the first 5 people in line (they had 5 in store) and received a voucher for the TV, they somehow oversold them and I was left emptyhanded when I went to check out. I still paid the sale price for the TV and was assured by the store and electronics manager (they were quite apologetic) that I would receive the same TV or a better TV and my situation would be resolved quickly. I heard from them today, and they are offering me this Panasonic model in exchange for the Tohsiba (my alternative is to wait 2-3 weeks for the Toshiba to come back in stock).

My initial thoughts were towards taking the Panasonic TC-L50EM5 and not waiting for the Toshiba. Obviously, for $300, any 50" LED/LCD is a great deal, and I in general would prefer a Panasonic to a Toshiba. However, before deciding to attempt to wait in line for the Toshiba last week I had been able to read multiple unbiased reviews (such as at televisioninfo.com) which praised its performance and picture quality. I can't really find any info on the Panasonic, and that worries me slightly. I am pleased with the initial reactions to the picture on this thread, but can anyone who has seen it give any additional details about the picture (ie motion performance, black levels, etc)? Anything would be greatly appreciated. I am definitely leaning towards this Panasonic, but the lack of info is a little worrysome.

Thanks!!
Adam
post #7 of 15 Old 11-27-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugarea View Post

Thanks for the input, I came across this thread much the same as you did, looking for info on the TC-L50EM5.
Here's my (brief) story:
I waited in line on Thursday for the 50" Toshiba (50L2200U) for $299.99 at Sears. Though I was one of the first 5 people in line (they had 5 in store) and received a voucher for the TV, they somehow oversold them and I was left emptyhanded when I went to check out. I still paid the sale price for the TV and was assured by the store and electronics manager (they were quite apologetic) that I would receive the same TV or a better TV and my situation would be resolved quickly. I heard from them today, and they are offering me this Panasonic model in exchange for the Tohsiba (my alternative is to wait 2-3 weeks for the Toshiba to come back in stock).
My initial thoughts were towards taking the Panasonic TC-L50EM5 and not waiting for the Toshiba. Obviously, for $300, any 50" LED/LCD is a great deal, and I in general would prefer a Panasonic to a Toshiba. However, before deciding to attempt to wait in line for the Toshiba last week I had been able to read multiple unbiased reviews (such as at televisioninfo.com) which praised its performance and picture quality. I can't really find any info on the Panasonic, and that worries me slightly. I am pleased with the initial reactions to the picture on this thread, but can anyone who has seen it give any additional details about the picture (ie motion performance, black levels, etc)? Anything would be greatly appreciated. I am definitely leaning towards this Panasonic, but the lack of info is a little worrysome.
Thanks!!
Adam

OH MY GOD...take the Panasonic.

I watched it all weekend at my inlaws and dude it is almost as great as my high end sony lcd and my high end samsung and my high end panasonic. 

Take it and RUN RUN RUN!

post #8 of 15 Old 12-29-2012, 11:58 AM

I bought this TV, and I think it's going to be a good one, but I am having a hard time adjusting the picture. It seems way too cool in terms of temperature (warm setting messes it up too much). It seems too bright. I just can't get it adjusted. Any suggestions? I watch a lot of sports and ESPN looks like smurfs. My older 37 inch Toshiba looks way better, but I can't adjust it to look the same. Can anybody help PLEASE??! smile.gif
post #9 of 15 Old 12-29-2012, 12:04 PM

post #10 of 15 Old 12-29-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got your PM....

Well...If the set were local I would give you my settings, but it is at my in-laws 5-6 hours away.

I did fuss a bunch with it and I just can't remember what I did...

post #11 of 15 Old 12-29-2012, 02:17 PM

bummer... frown.gif

any thoughts about where you typically put...

backlight
contrast
brightness
sharpness
etc.?

this also has a darkness setting that i have on dark, as opposed to light...
post #12 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If I recall, I used some of the settings I found on similar Pany LCD screens in some of the other threads...then I tweaked a bit. 

I will dig around and see if I can find what I used as my baseline...

post #13 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, think I used the settings from this thread to get started...hope this helps.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1427232/official-panasonic-tc-lxxet5-owners-thread

post #14 of 15 Old 01-07-2013, 06:21 AM

My 3-yr old broke the glass on my pany plasma so I picked this unit up from Costco yesterday as a budget replacement. I decided to go LCD because it's in a very open space with a lot of windows from multiple sides and my plasma had a lot of glare issues. I threw it up on the wall last night and already miss my plasma even though it was just the p50s30 budget model. I haven't calibrated with WOW yet. Here are a few initial findings:

Obvious negatives:
-Blacks a lot nicer than my other LCDs, but no where near the plasma (tested with TRON bluray)
-Football/basketball motion not as smooth. Slight ghosting.

Other negs:
-Very minor flashlighting mostly visible at direct front viewing angle.
-Volume control will not adjust Denon AVR volume level like the p50s30. I spent an hour trying to figure this out and went to bed frustrated. (UPDATE: not possible without Viera Link. Work around could be Harmony universal remote)
-No direct picture mode button on remote. I would like to switch from custom to game without going into the menu.

My wife is going to test it out today during daylight hours to see if there is a noticeable improvement with the LCD competing with ambient light and glare. If there's not much of an improvement I think I'll take it back for the P55UT50.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-22-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
god, I wish my coscto carried this model frown.gif. the only one they have right now is the 55 incher for $849.. I'm about ready to hang myself with my LG 55LM4600 and it's horrible screen uniformity and I'd LOVE to grab this one or the 502200U from toshiba
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic 50 Inch 60hz Led Lit Tv Tc L50em5
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page