Vizio E500i-A1 ??? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 83 Old 01-09-2013, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went to my Best Buy looking for the Samsung UN46EH6000 but they didnt have any left so I got this tv.

As expected, there was no SOE, no flashlighting, no backlight bleed, and the PQ was ok. However, the smart dimming feature got a little irritating after a while. Couldn't really see it on cable channels, but issues cropped up when playing The King's speech on blu ray. Also, there was a lot of noise in the picture in the darker scenes. As I mentioned before, the blues had a purplish hue, and that didnt go away completely with calibration.

Luckily, the store got a shipment of samsungs they day before the sale ended (599 for the 46 inch) .I ended up returning the vizio, and got the Samsung UN46EH6000 with a TS02 panel. The difference in PQ between the 2 is huge! I turned auto motion plus off, so no SOE (the processing on the samsung is too weak for good motion interpolation anyways), and calibrated with the AVS HD disc and a blue filter.

I also installed some bias lighting, and believe it or not that makes a big difference with perceived contrast and black levels. Everything seems sharper somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 Old 01-09-2013, 01:21 PM

Hi there,

Few observations about my E420i-A1:

**I got a cluster of stuck pixels, ran Pixel Jogger for 2 days in Vivid mode, 100 BL, 100 Cont, 0 Bright, 100 Color, 100 Sharp and all
advanced options off except for rich Color.

I managed to unstuck most of them put 1... 1 darn stuck pixel right in the middle of the screen mad.gif Bad luck I guess

**Brightness uniformity issues, in the corners... yes this Screen supposed to be a LED-Array and not Edgelit, but for some reason I can
see some bright patchy spots when the screen is completely black.

** There is no SOE, turning Game Mode on or off does not make any difference in fast moving animation, Used PS3 and few games and
found some blurring... Turning Game Mode On didn't solved the blurring issues, it's not the worst Blurring I seen in a TV but just so you
are aware IT IS THERE, If you are used to plasma like me you will notice it.

** Color out of the box is washed out, very bad, You need to turn the color above the 55% mark to compensate or going to the advance
options and turning on Color Enhancement off/normal/rich color/ etc... I found any other than OFF will over-saturate the colors.

**Advanced Picture Options---> Adaptive Luma = Dynamic Contrast off, Smart Dimming= Not local dimming by any stretch of imagination
turn it off. Ambient Light Sensor = Turn it off... worthless!
So turn off all of them biggrin.gif

** Black level, I really cant tell, I cannot measure due to the washed out color, the Image pushes Blue cast in black images, pretty
disappointing.

**Remote, not even good to keep it as a Dog Chewing Toy...

**Smart TV... takes 2 seconds for the menus to change, sometimes unresponsive and slow.

All in all, I think I might have to return this set and get a Toshiba 40L5200U http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/toshiba-50l5200u/4505-6482_7-35244016.html Better Black levels, 120hz Adjustments, Less reflective screen wile keeping the pop effect, Same price.
But edge-lit, some uniformity issues and some lighting problems. confused.gif

I wanted this Vizio set to be great but it has too many short comings.
post #63 of 83 Old 01-19-2013, 03:55 PM

post #64 of 83 Old 01-23-2013, 06:52 AM

Hey all, first time poster but I often reference this forum when making any sort of A/V purchase. So thanks in advance to all of the knowledgeable people who post here and help relative lightweights like myself.

I am considering picking up an E420I but had a random question that I was hoping someone might be able to help me with. Does anyone who owns one of these new E-series Vizio TV's have Directv? If so, I'm wondering if you were able to get the Directv remote programmed to turn the power of both the receiver and TV on / off at the same time? I have an RC65 remote from Directv and I checked their website but I couldn't find a specific code for the E420I (I'm guessing it's because this model is relatively new). It gave me some suggested codes but didn't list an exact match.

I know it's not a big deal and is somewhat silly to be factoring into a purchase decision, but it's a pet peeve of mine when I have to toggle the device switch at the top of the Directv remote in order to turn everything on / off. I like being able to just hit the master power button and have both TV and receiver go on / off at the same time and so I was wondering whether anyone who owns one of these TV's and has Directv could shed some light on whether they were able to get their remote configured. I know I'll find out soon enough when I get this home but was hoping someone might know off hand.

Again, thanks in advance for anyone that is able to help.

Jamie
post #65 of 83 Old 02-18-2013, 10:05 AM

Has anyone found this unit to look a bit on the warm side? I've compared this to others at several stores and it seems that the Vizio e500-A1 can't do the vibrance as other sets.

Also, does it take a long time to turn on? I turned on/off several at the store and this model took dramatically longer. Don't know if its the store model or all of this type.

Just wondering. Thanks
post #66 of 83 Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haqattaq View Post

Has anyone found this unit to look a bit on the warm side? I've compared this to others at several stores and it seems that the Vizio e500-A1 can't do the vibrance as other sets.

Also, does it take a long time to turn on? I turned on/off several at the store and this model took dramatically longer. Don't know if its the store model or all of this type.

Just wondering. Thanks

I found using the AVS calibration http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration got the picture pretty close. You could follow this thread as well: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1455313/vizio-e500i-a1-calibration-question.

It does take a while to turn on, far longer than any other HDTV I've owned. Some people have found it annoying.

I can tell you when I first got this set I was constantly tweaking settings, options, and more, until I got comfortable with it (or got lazy).
post #67 of 83 Old 04-07-2013, 07:19 AM

I just got a Vizo e500i-A0. Does anyone know how this compares to the A1. I have not seen anything listed here yet.

Thanks.
post #68 of 83 Old 04-21-2013, 04:47 AM

I bought the E500i-A0 at Sams Club yesterday. Looking on Vizio's web site they are the same price and the only differences I've found are .5" more viewing area on the A1 (50" vs 49.50"), 2 degrees more viewing angle on the A0 (178 vs 176), speaker output on the A0 is 10w vs 8 on the A1, and DLNA support on the A0.

The DLNA support, viewing angle, and speaker output made this (A0) worth the loss of .5" viewing area... to me. Plus I bought the display and paid over $100 less! smile.gif
post #69 of 83 Old 05-01-2013, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
just picked this up for $650 to replace a 7 year old panasonic plasma that was too bulky. Is it worth it to buy the best buy warranty for this set?
post #70 of 83 Old 05-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Call Vizio & see what they want for the warranty. They use Square Trade.
post #71 of 83 Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Call Vizio & see what they want for the warranty. They use Square Trade.

I would get it thru best buy If that helps...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
post #72 of 83 Old 05-27-2013, 06:21 AM

I just bought this tv yesterday. I've read a lot of reviews that said it has no backlight bleeding so I'm wondering if what I'm seeing is normal. This is my 2nd direct lit purchase in the past 2 weeks. Using buildersboy settings with the backlight at 65 in a completely dark room at night I see noticeable light from all four corners, brighter at the bottom, when there is a black screen between scenes or no signal. Lowering the backlight closer to the cnet settings of 12 helped but I had to play with it a lot and not sure if my black levels are right. I'm using the Disney WOW disc.

Here's a picture at 65 backlight, 45, and 25.

I'm trying to decide if I should keep this and return the LG I bought. I've read so many threads of people buying and returning multiple TVs to try and get one that is perfect, I really don't want to do that if this looks reasonable. Watching Hunger Games with letterbox, the backlight in the corners was not noticeable but that was with backlight at 12. So is this normal? If I weren't reading threads on here, I probably would not even think twice about it.
post #73 of 83 Old 05-30-2013, 06:28 AM

Bump. Can anyone please tell me if the above pictures are normal for direct lit or if I should try another? Thanks
post #74 of 83 Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 PM

I just purchased the E500D and I'm having the same flashlighting issues. Seems to reduce after an hour or so of being on. But still a bit distracting when watching at night or movies with lots of dark scenes. Curious to see if anyone else is having this problem.
post #75 of 83 Old 06-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Wy the E series? You can get a M550D wit 240hz for under 800. I wouldn't keep it if the flashlighting is bad.
post #76 of 83 Old 06-11-2013, 03:20 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele519 View Post

Bump. Can anyone please tell me if the above pictures are normal for direct lit or if I should try another? Thanks

I wouldn't keep it. Some flashlighting and/or clouding might be "acceptable" with any edge-lit LED, but that is excessive. I've had three Vizios and two Samsungs over the past year, and none of them were that bad. If you don't exchange it, you'll be bothered by it as long as you own the TV...at least I would.

You're paying for a TV you're satisfied with, so thats what you should get. Its not your fault its defective. They shouldn't be selling that sh*t to begin with.
post #77 of 83 Old 07-06-2013, 05:14 PM

I came across this thread because I'm trying to find a solution to getting DLNA working on the E500i-A1. But, to stay kinda on topic, I did a youtube video with an A0 and an A1 sitting right next to each other. I ended up returning the A0 because I actually liked the colors better on the A1. It might not be visible on the video, but the A0 back light is much brighter, making black more of a dark grey. This is really noticeable on the "No Signal" screen.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RavTRYd9nRM

Also, the A0 out of the box had working DLNA till it pulled down an update and then the DLNA stopped working. The A1 NEVER worked and after calling and e-mailing Vizio support (and getting many different answers), the break down was like this. Phone support = E500i-A1 does not support DLNA. E-Mail support (when I demanded they remove it from their DLNA supported device list page) came back and said it isn't DLNA complaint, but it does support DLNA and asked if I had tried it with Win7/8.

A few months later, and about 5 or 6 DLNA servers later (Windows and Linux) as well as Win 7, the A1 has never seen anything on the network.
post #78 of 83 Old 07-06-2013, 05:17 PM

Oh, yes.. It takes a LONG time to start up. I'm guessing due to it being a "smart" TV. The processor seems to be pretty powerful and it doesn't have any problems playing back anything I have plugged into the USB slot yet. But yeah.. very slow turn on.
post #79 of 83 Old 09-03-2013, 04:56 PM

In response to: Kyblue113 and Tapaul,

The A0 also has 6ms response time versus 8ms on the A1. Strangely enough, the A1 is also 1.5 inches THICKER.

A0 http://store.vizio.com/e500ia0.html
A1 http://store.vizio.com/led-lcd-hdtvs/e500ia1-1.html

Sams Club is still selling the A0 version of this too. Wonder why they don't have the A1?
post #80 of 83 Old 01-12-2014, 07:34 AM

Liked: 11

So we're actively shopping around to replace our 7 year old Panasonic plasma. The Vizio E500i-A1 and Samsung UN50F6300 are two in the final running. Amazon now has the following showing for the E500i-A1...

Quote:

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

While I absolutely hate the idea of doing it we may install the new TV above the fireplace. The layout of the room just doesn't warrant keep the tv on the far wall unless we go for a larger tv which I dont want to do at this time. Anyone have theirs wall mounted? How did it change your viewing angle? 

edit: And nevermind w/ the pricing of the P series now released we'll be waiting until the P502ui-B1 are available. 

post #81 of 83 Old 01-20-2014, 07:09 AM

We purchased the E502AR model last January at a Sam's Club and were quite happy with it except for the long start up time and the glossy screen that created a glare when the sun was coming through window.  Other than that, we were extremely happy with the picture and smart features of this tv.  Then  a week before Christmas Vizio apparently was sending out an update to our tv and it fried it, wouldn't turn on no matter what we did.  So after a lot of back and forth with Vizio saying they were going to fix the tv, then they were going to replace the tv with a new recertified model, then they were going replace it with a new 3D model, then they were going to just give us our money back, and finally they sent us the E500-Ai.  We immediately new this was not the same quality of tv that our previous one was.  The picture was awful and nothing we did made it any better.  Then after having it for a few days, we started seeing lines coming out from the center.  Looked like how the surface of water would look if you dropped a drop in and ripples would come off from the center.  So it was back on the phone I went with tech support.  They are now sending us another tv. The tech person said we had been sent the E500-A1-2 and now they were going to send us the E500-A1.  The model number on the tv we were given does not have the -2 on it and I am wondering if she was feeding me a line of BS because I can't find info on a -2 tv anywhere.

Sorry this was so long, but I just wanted to know if any of you have heard about the model they say we supposed got for the second tv.  Thanks in advance for your help.

post #82 of 83 Old 01-27-2014, 10:52 AM

I just set the Picture setting to "Calibrated" and it looks very good.
post #83 of 83 Old 03-01-2014, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisha May View Post

We purchased the E502AR model last January at a Sam's Club and were quite happy with it except for the long start up time and the glossy screen that created a glare when the sun was coming through window.  Other than that, we were extremely happy with the picture and smart features of this tv.  Then  a week before Christmas Vizio apparently was sending out an update to our tv and it fried it, wouldn't turn on no matter what we did.  So after a lot of back and forth with Vizio saying they were going to fix the tv, then they were going to replace the tv with a new recertified model, then they were going replace it with a new 3D model, then they were going to just give us our money back, and finally they sent us the E500-Ai.  We immediately new this was not the same quality of tv that our previous one was.  The picture was awful and nothing we did made it any better.  Then after having it for a few days, we started seeing lines coming out from the center.  Looked like how the surface of water would look if you dropped a drop in and ripples would come off from the center.  So it was back on the phone I went with tech support.  They are now sending us another tv. The tech person said we had been sent the E500-A1-2 and now they were going to send us the E500-A1.  The model number on the tv we were given does not have the -2 on it and I am wondering if she was feeding me a line of BS because I can't find info on a -2 tv anywhere.

Sorry this was so long, but I just wanted to know if any of you have heard about the model they say we supposed got for the second tv.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Wow I just had deja vu. Had the same exact problem with the same exact tv e502ar at the same exact time. I was also promised a 3d m501d model. Then they call me and tell me they don't have that one after waiting two weeks for the first tv to be sent. One of the worst customer service experiences I have ever dealt with. I told them it was wrong to promise one thing and then renig on it specially after making me wait with a broken tv for many weeks. I was also told that I would be getting a e500i-a1-4 which is supposed to be later release . Have no idea what the -4 means as the model on the actual tv is e500i-a0. I just got my new tv after fighting with tech support and corporate to no avail. I think the quality of the picture is fine and even better so far, of course I haven't tweaked the settings and don't have a side by side comparsison to the e502ar model.

What I don't understand is difference between a1and a0? The ones listed in the specs are very small differences in sound, viewing angle and screen size. However the AO is a lot lighter.

Which one is better? 

Also what does the dash after the a0 or a1 mean and how do i know which one I have? I don't trust Vizio customer support..

Also how does one know if they have the latest firmware for this model?

Not a techie so any help to my questions would greatly be appreciated. Just wanted to make sure I didn't get hosed for a third time by this company.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Vizio E420d A0 42 Inch Led Smart 3d Hdtv , Vizio E500i A1 50 Inch Led Smart Fhdtv
Gear in this thread - E500i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page