Another 60hz 120hz 240hz and 24p Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-21-2012, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I understand that 24fps content displayed natively on a 60hz TV causes problems since it does not divide evenly, thus needing a 3:2 pulldown. My question is what happens when you use 24p mode on TVs and Blu-Ray players.

Let's say I have a 60hz TV. On that 60hz TV, I play a Blu-ray on a PS3 that tells it to output in 24p. Is the TV literally changing from 60hz down to 24hz and displaying each frame 24 times OR is the TV locked down at 60hz and divides the number?

I have looked at numerous articles and threads and everyone seems to have a different answer.

...then I see brochures from companies that say this:

"LG’s new 1080p LCD televisions are one of the few TVs that can actually properly display 24fps film based content without the need for the 3:2 pulldown process.
By properly accepting 24p in its native state, 120Hz 1080p LED televisions replicate each of the 24 film frames 5 times per second, creating a smoother, more cinematic image than any of our competitors. In addition, our 1080p panels that operate at 60Hz, will also accept the 24p input signal so that each of the original 24 frames are flashed 2 times per second."

What? It's my thinking that the TV simply drops from 60hz to 24hz to display 24p content at 24 frames per second. The way the above is written makes it sound like the refresh rate is locked and does not drop and it simply refreshes/divides the number. Since 24 does not divide evenly into 60, how is it displaying the content without a pulldown? Are refreshes locked or not? What am I not getting here.

I'm very confused. If anyone can answer this, i would greatly appreciate it. I'm going nuts.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page