Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2606 Old 12-14-2012, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

You have to turn it on in both the receiver and tv settings.

Found the setting to turn it on. Menu -> Settings -> CEC Settings -> Enable.

Didn't have to do anything on my receiver.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2606 Old 12-15-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Btw these are back in stock at Vizio.com for $2k. Still not back at Amazon. I wonder if they will restock the channel sufficiently to have another sale before Christmas?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #273 of 2606 Old 12-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post

I had to take my E701i-A3 back to Costco and get a new one (see post #254). The new one has 1.1.4 on it. Do I see any differences from the old set with 1.1.3? Too soon to tell.

I just went to the Vizio support site for the A701i-A3, and I don't see the firmware download. How do you update the firmware in this TV?

Michael
post #274 of 2606 Old 12-15-2012, 02:15 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

I just went to the Vizio support site for the A701i-A3, and I don't see the firmware download. How do you update the firmware in this TV?
Michael
My new one came with it. While trouble shooting my first set with Vizio support, I ask them about firmware upgrades and here's what he said; They don't put new versions on website. They just automatically send it to TV (assuming it's hooked to internet).
post #275 of 2606 Old 12-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Liked: 13
Any insight as to what the firmware adds/fixes?
post #276 of 2606 Old 12-15-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiantino View Post

Any insight as to what the firmware adds/fixes?
Sorry, no. Most likely it's just minor stuff like improving hdmi handhaking and maybe the widgets.
post #277 of 2606 Old 12-16-2012, 04:52 AM

Liked: 11
So mine ended up having vertical banding, so exchanged it at Costco and replacement has horizontal banding a massive vertical band and a spot about a inch long that looks like the anti glare coating is missing so is slightly brighter.

Trying to decide whether to try again or just look at a different set.
post #278 of 2606 Old 12-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phage80 View Post

So mine ended up having vertical banding, so exchanged it at Costco and replacement has horizontal banding a massive vertical band and a spot about a inch long that looks like the anti glare coating is missing so is slightly brighter.

And this is why im undecided on exchanging my set for another due to the possibiliy of getting one with worse problems.
post #279 of 2606 Old 12-16-2012, 09:19 AM

I'm in the same boat. I've got a large flashlight beam coming from the bottom right. It's visible during really dark scenes, but unnoticeable during 95% of content. I understand that $1500 is a heck of a deal for a tv this size, but it is still $1500 and should we all be making excuses because it's a good deal? A new product is a new product ans shouldn't have any defects. BUT I alos don't want to go through 5 tvs trying to get the perfect set. If I could guarantee the next set was perfect, then I'd exchange it today. What to do........?
post #280 of 2606 Old 12-16-2012, 10:16 AM

I think dpiantino, phag80, and others expose the interesting dilemma regarding this set. Although some have gotten $1500 deals, the set is currently selling close to list ($2000) which still may be a great deal versus the competition IF the set performs as advertised. Forgetting the small stuff, it appears there are a wide range of problems with the panel or back-lighting that are not going to be fixed with firmware upgrades. How many trips swapping this 100lb beast out at Costco does it take before the deal doesn't look like a deal anymore. Reminds me of that Dirty Harry line "Do you feel lucky, punk - well do you".

My local Sams has a couple of these left at $1,880, and a couple pallets of the E60 at $978 (half the price). The "M" series 65" models seem to have far fewer problems which is probably why they are sold out everywhere. Oh, what to do? I'd really like to pull the trigger on one of these before my Sony 60" craps out (it's dangerously close right now). Just wondering how "lucky" I feel today.

Any one else wresting with a decision between the Vizio models mentioned?
post #281 of 2606 Old 12-16-2012, 10:45 AM

It's funny. I'm on live chat with vizio about my sound drop out issue. I asked about the 1.1.4 firmware. I'm being told 1.1.3 is the latest and there is no new firmware for the 70". I even stated that people have purchased the tv with the 1.1.4 firmware. The response was that 1.1.3 is the only firmware.
post #282 of 2606 Old 12-16-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty913 View Post

I think dpiantino, phag80, and others expose the interesting dilemma regarding this set. Although some have gotten $1500 deals, the set is currently selling close to list ($2000) which still may be a great deal versus the competition IF the set performs as advertised. Forgetting the small stuff, it appears there are a wide range of problems with the panel or back-lighting that are not going to be fixed with firmware upgrades. How many trips swapping this 100lb beast out at Costco does it take before the deal doesn't look like a deal anymore. Reminds me of that Dirty Harry line "Do you feel lucky, punk - well do you".
My local Sams has a couple of these left at $1,880, and a couple pallets of the E60 at $978 (half the price). The "M" series 65" models seem to have far fewer problems which is probably why they are sold out everywhere. Oh, what to do? I'd really like to pull the trigger on one of these before my Sony 60" craps out (it's dangerously close right now). Just wondering how "lucky" I feel today.

I think it has to do with your tolerance level for lighting issues. An LED edge lit LCD has certain characteristics that you either accept or you don't but they are known quantities. I've noticed tendency for some folks to worry more about what the screen looks like blank than what it looks like when Star Wars is battling for intergalactic domination. I do not mean to belittle serious issues but viewing quality should be the determining factor, not what a black or white screen looks like. My E60 has bottom flashlighting like they all do but it in no way interferes with my viewing pleasure. My point is watch a couple of movies before sending a set back over perceived lighting flaws.

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
post #283 of 2606 Old 12-16-2012, 10:51 AM

I originally was going to get one of the 65in models but did not because of... banding problems. And for me the one 15mins away never received any so have to head for the one 35mins away to even attempt an exchange.
post #284 of 2606 Old 12-16-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:

It's funny. I'm on live chat with vizio about my sound drop out issue. I asked about the 1.1.4 firmware. I'm being told 1.1.3 is the latest and there is no new firmware for the 70". I even stated that people have purchased the tv with the 1.1.4 firmware. The response was that 1.1.3 is the only firmware.
Here's a screen shot of my menu on my Vizio: That should settle it.
post #285 of 2606 Old 12-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty913 View Post

I was debating the return and purchase of the 65" M series. BUT then I thought for a bit and RichardCarver has a valid point. I almost never notice the issue during normal viewing, and even on the darker content it is not that aggravating. So, do you fight based upon principal or let it go???? I guess that's up to the individual. I'm more concerned about small issues now propagating into larger issues later. However, I do have a 5yr warranty smile.gif The actual performance of this tv is very good. No distortion during sports, etc, I feel that is a big plus when it comes to an LCD TV.

Vizio has asked me to send pictures of the flashlighting. It will be interesting to see what they say.
post #286 of 2606 Old 12-16-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post

Here's a screen shot of my menu on my Vizio: That should settle it.

My SN has a 46 out front and is number 00281
post #287 of 2606 Old 12-16-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like some good news on the sync front. If you have a Time Warner Moto cable box changing the audio output to LCPM ends the problem. I don't know if this works on other carriers or boxes but it is certainly worth the effort. Here's the post on the E60 thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1433329/vizio-e601-a3-owners-thread/930#post_22711269

I'm going to watch it for a few days but this removes my hesitation in getting the E70! biggrin.gif

post #288 of 2606 Old 12-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phage80 View Post

There was a guy on the Panasonic VT50 forum who exchanged his set four times before getting a good one. That was on a top of line plasma, and plasma's generally have fewer issues than LCDs. He did finally get a good one, and is happy. Sometimes you just have to do the legwork, although it is better if the TV is delivered to your house.smile.gif

Michael
post #289 of 2606 Old 12-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was debating the return and purchase of the 65" M series. BUT then I thought for a bit and RichardCarver has a valid point. I almost never notice the issue during normal viewing, and even on the darker content it is not that aggravating. So, do you fight based upon principal or let it go???? I guess that's up to the individual. I'm more concerned about small issues now propagating into larger issues later. However, I do have a 5yr warranty smile.gif The actual performance of this tv is very good. No distortion during sports, etc, I feel that is a big plus when it comes to an LCD TV.
Vizio has asked me to send pictures of the flashlighting. It will be interesting to see what they say.

I don't have flashlighting or clouding on mine, but I do have the darker "feathers" that are visible on very light material in the bottom corners, and two smaller areas at the bottom of the screen. I saw the same thing at Costco before I bought, but, fortunately, most material is not super bright and uniform in the lower corners. No TV is perfect, and it is a matter of what you can live with. I figured it I waited for the perfect TV, I would never get one, and it took me three years just to get to this point.eek.gif Overall, the TV is very good.

Michael
post #290 of 2606 Old 12-16-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

I don't have flashlighting or clouding on mine, but I do have the darker "feathers" that are visible on very light material in the bottom corners, and two smaller areas at the bottom of the screen. I saw the same thing at Costco before I bought, but, fortunately, most material is not super bright and uniform in the lower corners. No TV is perfect, and it is a matter of what you can live with. I figured it I waited for the perfect TV, I would never get one, and it took me three years just to get to this point.eek.gif Overall, the TV is very good.
Michael

I guess I may have the terminology incorrect, the dark feathers are what I was calling flashlighting.

post #291 of 2606 Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 AM

Has anyone calibrated their TV yet?
post #292 of 2606 Old 12-18-2012, 07:26 AM

I can't get the firmware update. I hate this passive system

MCACC Workflow tips <-- Click here
post #293 of 2606 Old 12-18-2012, 11:12 AM

Here is the flash-lighting in the bottom right hand corner. I think it got worse when I rubbed the screen with the cloth that came with my samsung. I can no longer tolerate the flashlighting. The tv will be exchanged at costco or hopefully vizio wills end a new one so I don't have to do anything.

I sent these pics to vizio. Along with the screen cap of the 1.1.4 firmware for the rep that said this firmware didn't exist for the 70" smile.gif
post #294 of 2606 Old 12-18-2012, 03:37 PM

dpiantino, I had the same flashlighting issue as you (in the same location as well). It was particularly distracting watching letterboxed material. Tried the microfiber "wipe" method detailed here to no avail.

I sent photos of the problem to Vizio and spoke to 4 different reps. The first three agreed it was a defect/problem, the last rep said the issue was within tolerances for an edge-lit screen and that Vizio would not do anything about it.

Since Vizio was a no go, I set up an exchange with Walmart. I was on the fence about gambling on another set, but I'm very glad I did. The new tv arrived yesterday and it's just about perfect. No clouding, no flashlighting--just a nice even screen. There's some extremely minor feathering at the bottom corners (noticeable only during bright white scenes), but it's apparently imperceptible to everyone else--I tried pointing out the feathering to my fiance and friends and they think I'm borderline nuts.

The new set came from California (I'm in NYC) so I assume it's part of a new batch from Vizio. Oddly, it's still running on the "older" 1.1.3 firmware.

One last thing--the tuner in this set is also markedly better. I'm picking up Clear QAM channels the old one couldn't. Ran the auto channel scan on both sets (the old one hasn't been picked up yet) and the new set pulls in more digital channels. Not sure what to make of that. Maybe my old Vizio was assembled on a Friday.
post #295 of 2606 Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure Chicken View Post

dpiantino, I had the same flashlighting issue as you (in the same location as well). It was particularly distracting watching letterboxed material. Tried the microfiber "wipe" method detailed here to no avail.
I sent photos of the problem to Vizio and spoke to 4 different reps. The first three agreed it was a defect/problem, the last rep said the issue was within tolerances for an edge-lit screen and that Vizio would not do anything about it.
Since Vizio was a no go, I set up an exchange with Walmart. I was on the fence about gambling on another set, but I'm very glad I did. The new tv arrived yesterday and it's just about perfect. No clouding, no flashlighting--just a nice even screen. There's some extremely minor feathering at the bottom corners (noticeable only during bright white scenes), but it's apparently imperceptible to everyone else--I tried pointing out the feathering to my fiance and friends and they think I'm borderline nuts.
The new set came from California (I'm in NYC) so I assume it's part of a new batch from Vizio. Oddly, it's still running on the "older" 1.1.3 firmware.
One last thing--the tuner in this set is also markedly better. I'm picking up Clear QAM channels the old one couldn't. Ran the auto channel scan on both sets (the old one hasn't been picked up yet) and the new set pulls in more digital channels. Not sure what to make of that. Maybe my old Vizio was assembled on a Friday.

Glad I waited for a new batch, hope they at least drop back to 1699!

post #296 of 2606 Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Azure Chicken,

Just curious...if you spoke to 3 reps that said it was a defect, why didn't they process the warranty? Just wondering...

also, since you still have both TV's what is the manufacturing date of the first one and the new one? Also curious if its a new batch, and exactly how new....
thanks and good luck with the second one....

Ron
post #297 of 2606 Old 12-18-2012, 05:00 PM

Has anyone calibrated or can anyone that likes their picture settings please post.

I've been struggling to find settings that work. Yes, I'm coming from plasma so I understand it won't be as great a picture, but I cannot seem to get it dialed in. It may be my viewing habits, but I can get "close" to a good picture for sports, but normal tv and movies don't look good so I keep having to switch picture.

Any help would be appreciated.
post #298 of 2606 Old 12-18-2012, 05:28 PM

Just at Costco and the set is $70 off until sometime in Jan.
post #299 of 2606 Old 12-18-2012, 06:19 PM

I can't dial mine in either although I'm kind of a noob coming from a toob. LoL.. Wanted plasma but saw the $1489 price tag at CostoCo on BF and pulled the trigger. Anyway it seems I have to change the settings for every input as they all differ.
post #300 of 2606 Old 12-18-2012, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am having some issues with flickering on my set and was wondering if this is normal for an edge-lit display. The flickering occurs when there is a lot of text on the screen like with the dvr guide menu, sportscenter, and on the home screens on xbox 360. All of the words on the screen will flicker intermittently and very often like a couple of times per second with the dvr guide. Also none of these issues are present on my sony 52" ccfl.

Really hesitant to exchange my screen as uniformity and flashlighting is present but tolerable. The flickering does not appear except with text and main concern is that this is abnormal and will lead to future problems. Also have a black line that runs vertical about a pixel or two from the right edge of the screen. Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E701i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page