Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2557 Old 12-22-2012, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

I don't think this is the new batch, because they come with 1.1.4 firmware. Mine is of the older batch, and your description sounds exactly like my TV. The feathers show up on so little material, and even then you really have to look at the corners for them. I would be very happy with the set. You got one of the "good ones".
Michael

Michael, I believe you're right. I just checked again and the new set's serial starts with a 46, so it's likely part of the initial run. *edit--now I'm curious as to why the set was shipped from California*

Of course, it matters not a whit to me so long as it's, as you wrote, a "good one". It just inconvenient that we had to cherry pick a set with a uniform screen.

On a related note, I just hooked up my HTPC and filled the screen white. Either the feathers have somehow corrected themselves or my girlfriend was right about me seeing things, as the feathers are virtually imperceptible, even on a static white screen.

Anyway, I'm completely satisfied with the purchase--no qualifiers about the price needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2557 Old 12-22-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchain View Post

Is anyone experiencing severe and recurring stuttering issues with the HuluPlus app on this TV? It gets so bad it literally freezes the TV to the point that the I have to manually unplug the TV to restart it since the off switch both on the remote and on the TV won't even respond. Infuriating to no end -especially since Vizio blames Hulu and Hulu blames Vizio for the problems. All other apps work just fine its just Hulu that has problems....all other internet connected apps work perfectly.

The stuttering starts during the commercials for me. It hasn't required me to unplug the set though--so far, simply exiting the app and restarting it solves the problem (for about an hour or so).

I made note of the problem to Hulu, but who knows if they'll update the app.

I'm back to using my PS3 to stream Hulu. A bit frustrating as the other apps are, as you noted, problem-free.

I wonder if the 1.1.4 sets have the same problem.
post #363 of 2557 Old 12-23-2012, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this is an owner's thread but the current price is now $1699 on Amazon. Really debating between this and the $999 60" version...or should I get a Panny 60" plasma.
post #364 of 2557 Old 12-24-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged1 View Post

I know this is an owner's thread but the current price is now $1699 on Amazon. Really debating between this and the $999 60" version...or should I get a Panny 60" plasma.

I'm glad they got pricing back to this level in time for Christmas (sort of...) With 2% back you're even lower, and at a price which I think this set is a no brainer. The BF pricing was that much more insane. But $1666 is great.
Rugged1 likes this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #365 of 2557 Old 12-24-2012, 12:33 PM

Liked: 13
CNET settings: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-580728/vizio-e701i-a3-picture-calibration-settings/

Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 58
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 75
Color: 49
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

---Size & Position submenu---
[no change]

---Color Temperature submenu---
Colour temperature: Normal
Red Gain: 106
Green Gain: 107
Blue gain: 116
Red offset: 128
Green offset: 128
Blue offset: 128

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Smooth motion effect: Off
Real Cinema Mode: Smooth [grayed out]
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Color Enhancement: Off
Adaptive Luma: Off
Film Mode: Auto
Backlight Control: Off
Ambient Light sensor: Off
post #366 of 2557 Old 12-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Cnet settings are junk, makes the picture dull.
post #367 of 2557 Old 12-25-2012, 07:16 AM

I adjusted the sharpness to 4 and my picture looks great using the above settings. What are you using for brightness, contrast, backlight etc. I had my backlight turned down to 30. There definitely seems to be a sweet spot with the backlight/brightness ratio that makes the picture "pop".

I agree with their color temp settings. With my current set I was only a couple points away from their settings. I actually had my color pulled down to 47.

EDIT:

Merry Christmas!!!
post #368 of 2557 Old 12-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

I am going mostly by default except that I have turned down the backlight a bit and turned of SME. A little bit lower on the red/green push (115 or 118). Everything else is "Movie" mode. The picture looks awesome, has good depth perception, a 3D kinda effect.
post #369 of 2557 Old 12-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiantino View Post

Sharpness is really the area that I wish I could set and forget, but find myself adjusting all the time. Answer this: If the incoming content is high quality and very "crisp"; Does it need any sharpness correction at all? The reason I ask is because some content seems very crisp with sharpness at 0, while other content looks very blurry with the sharpnes at zero.
Comcast DVR users: What do you set your DVR box sharpness? It has a setting between 1 and 5

I have Dish Network, and played around with sharpness, especially on shows that have static graphics where I could make good A/B comparisons. I also tried it with a PC. I now use "0", and haven't noticed any problem with sharpness. In fact, it looks sharper than most TVs I've seen. A lot of times, increasing the sharpness control introduces ringing.

Michael
post #370 of 2557 Old 12-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged1 View Post

I would go for the E701i-A3. The extra size makes watching shows and movies "special". You get more of a theater experience. I actually look forward to watching this TV.smile.gif

Michael
post #371 of 2557 Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 AM

Just got my TV today after waiting for 6 weeks, it's a bright room and from the side opposite the windows the picture is really washed out. I used the CNET settings and have been tweaking from there with no luck. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!
post #372 of 2557 Old 12-28-2012, 12:02 PM

I think just about any tv will have issues if you put your tv on the opposite wall from the windows if it gets a lot of light.

Try curtains
post #373 of 2557 Old 12-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Just got my replacement set. Sent the other one back due to backlight/panel issues. Hopefully this one is fine, if not its going back and i'll move on to Sharp or something else.
post #374 of 2557 Old 12-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Got it set up. Havnt done much testing but based on preliminary viewing the backlighting is waaaay better. Also, other set had those shadows all along bottom of screen and this set has zero. Still has the shadow feathers on left and right corner of screen though it appears to be fainter maybe than other set. This set also came with the newest firmware installed while other set had older firmware. Will do more real testing later but it appears my first set was indeed a lemon.

Update: not very happy. After testing out movies in darkened room this set has backlighting issues as well. Towards the middle of the screen their is an oval shaped blemish that is brighter than the rest of the screen.
post #375 of 2557 Old 12-29-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
My recommendations to those with working/satisfactory 70" sets:

1) knock wood
2) avoid the 60" thread - those sets are dropping Iike flies and reading will give you agita
3) be thankful

Btw Darth: have you tried rubbing the screen? And/or playing with the backlight and brightness settings in conjunction with each other? I have two looks I like...one with both around 50, another with one at 70 and the other at 30 (can't recall which is which off hand, sorry). The former reveals more in shadows but produces lighter blacks. The latter crushes blacks but sometimes the overall impression is a picture with more pop. In both cases though the uneven backlighting is minimized.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #376 of 2557 Old 12-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

Got it set up. Havnt done much testing but based on preliminary viewing the backlighting is waaaay better. Also, other set had those shadows all along bottom of screen and this set has zero. Still has the shadow feathers on left and right corner of screen though it appears to be fainter maybe than other set. This set also came with the newest firmware installed while other set had older firmware. Will do more real testing later but it appears my first set was indeed a lemon.
Update: not very happy. After testing out movies in darkened room this set has backlighting issues as well. Towards the middle of the screen their is an oval shaped blemish that is brighter than the rest of the screen.

I would give it another shot. Sometimes you have to go through a few sets before you get a good one, and that applies to any manufacturer. There are people here who are happy with their sets.

If you have to have the absolute blackest blacks, and best uniformity, you have to go plasma. Just be forewarned, plasmas have other issues, such as buzzing, image retention, and screen reflection.

Michael
post #377 of 2557 Old 12-30-2012, 08:41 AM

Anyone know the remote code for dish network remote?
post #378 of 2557 Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 AM

Anyone know how I can fix this problem?

I am using a Harmony One remote and have CEC turned on so I can get audio from the HDMI cable. Whenever I turn on the tv and the receiver, it will show the correct video signal, but the audio signal will be on the correct selection for a few seconds only to switch to the CEC channel on the receiver. Video still works but there is no sound. I will then have to select the right input again to get the sound working. Is this a auto detect feature on my receiver or is this the TV?
post #379 of 2557 Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

I would give it another shot. Sometimes you have to go through a few sets before you get a good one, and that applies to any manufacturer. There are people here who are happy with their sets.
If you have to have the absolute blackest blacks, and best uniformity, you have to go plasma. Just be forewarned, plasmas have other issues, such as buzzing, image retention, and screen reflection.
Michael
Go through a few sets to get a good one???? Man if you accept that premiss then I feel very bad for what we have come to. If we don't demand a certain degree of quality by how we spend our money then we deserve what we get.
post #380 of 2557 Old 12-30-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Go through a few sets to get a good one???? Man if you accept that premiss then I feel very bad for what we have come to. If we don't demand a certain degree of quality by how we spend our money then we deserve what we get.

While i agree with your sentiment. It is true that you may have to go through a few sets. My two experiences with flat panel resulted in the second set being the keeper.

Pananasonic a550 plasma, and this vizio.

I think the effort to drive down production cost has resulted in poor quality control. Im willing to jump through a few hoops to save $1000. Some are not, but some are shopping in a 3k price range. I am not. Tech changes too rapidly, and prices fall too rapidly for me to spend much more than 1500 on a set. I shop bang for the buck.
post #381 of 2557 Old 12-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGHowie View Post

Anyone know how I can fix this problem?
I am using a Harmony One remote and have CEC turned on so I can get audio from the HDMI cable. Whenever I turn on the tv and the receiver, it will show the correct video signal, but the audio signal will be on the correct selection for a few seconds only to switch to the CEC channel on the receiver. Video still works but there is no sound. I will then have to select the right input again to get the sound working. Is this a auto detect feature on my receiver or is this the TV?

I don't have CEC, but I do have a harmony remote. Can you add another command at the end of your activity sequence to switch the recvr back to the correct input? You may have to insert a pause before sending it.

Rick
post #382 of 2557 Old 12-30-2012, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I dunno, I should think sending back sets with unacceptable issues sends an effective message. Depending, of course, on how many people actually do it. Members of this forum, and like-minded videophiles/enthusiasts, are in a distinct minority. How much so, I have no idea.

No doubt the expense of dealing with returns and then selling refurbs/open box TVs at a steep discount is factored in for the manufacturers. At some point you'd think they'd *have* to pay more attention to QC.

Not to go too far OT, but as an aside: Anyway, I got my newest edge-lit LED TV (not a Vizio) at a hefty discount due to it being open box. I feel sure it must have been returned due to some (in my mind) minor clouding and flashlighting, not detectable while playing a movie. I rarely view movies in a totally dark room, so I'm okay with the set. Besides which, it's improved with age. Also, it has seemed to improve a little every time I clean the screen (isopropyl alcohol and water, with soft, clean rags).
post #383 of 2557 Old 12-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Ok so on both sets in scenes where it should be all black there sometimes is lots of blue tint and blue macroblocking blocks or something. Thought it was my compressed cable but its also doing it on blu rays. Is this a gamma issue??
post #384 of 2557 Old 12-30-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Sending a set back does indeed send a effective message. Unfortunately that message is "90% of these idiots accept the crap we put out so let's keep doing it". That's pretty much what happened to the American car industry until the Japan auto makers showed us what quality was. Look how long it's taken us to get back to respectability. I know what your saying and I agree. It's just a shame that's all.
post #385 of 2557 Old 12-30-2012, 04:51 PM

Can someone please help me with getting ARC to work.

My HDMI cable is an amazon basics 1.4 and ARC capable.
Its conneted to HDMI 1 (arc capable) on the Vizio
Its connected to Monitor Out of my Onkyo TxNR616

In my Vizio settings, I have,

CEC Enabled
System Audio Control On
And it does recognize my receiver in Device Discovery

In the audio settings I have, Advanced Audio set to Dolby Digital, and Analog out set to Variable, and speakers off

In my Onkyo settings, I have the HDMI setting in Hardware setup set to
HDMI Control ON
Audio Return Channel Auto

I get nothing? Any ideas?
post #386 of 2557 Old 12-30-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Select TV/CD for the input and you should have audio.

The Audio Return Channel (ARC) function enables an
HDMI capable TV to send the audio stream to HDMI OUT
MAIN on the AV receiver.
• This function can be used when:
– Your TV is ARC capable, and
– The TV/CD input selector is selected, and
– “HDMI Control(RIHD)” is set to “On”(➔ page 65), and
– “Audio Return Channel” is set to “Auto” (➔ page 66).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #387 of 2557 Old 12-30-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

Select TV/CD for the input and you should have audio.
The Audio Return Channel (ARC) function enables an
HDMI capable TV to send the audio stream to HDMI OUT
MAIN on the AV receiver.
• This function can be used when:
– Your TV is ARC capable, and
– The TV/CD input selector is selected, and
– “HDMI Control(RIHD)” is set to “On”(➔ page 65), and
– “Audio Return Channel” is set to “Auto” (➔ page 66).

Forgot to include that I have been doing that as well.

I am curious though, as there is NOTHING connected to the TV/CD HDMI input source. My understanding is the HDMI1 cable should be able to transmit the audio to the Onkyo Main out. Not sure how switching to TV/CD accomplishes this (maybe Onkyo software accounts for this). Also, when i swap sources (for example cab/sat to TV/CD i dont hear the click/switching noise. All i know is I am very frustrated, as I want to take advantage of netfliz amazon on the TV. Any other ideas guys??
post #388 of 2557 Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletodd View Post

Anyone know the remote code for dish network remote?

I believe I used code 505.

I found a list of them and instructions here.

BTW, the E701i-A3 really looks great on the 1080i channels such as Bloomberg,Velocity, Discovery, Destination America, and Animal Planet. Be sure to check your Dish receiver HD settings if you are coming from an Standard Definition TV.

Michael
post #389 of 2557 Old 12-31-2012, 10:33 AM

How do I check the dish reciever HD settings? I think its set on HD but Im not positive. Probably go to Menu?
post #390 of 2557 Old 12-31-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollofrito22 View Post

Can someone please help me with getting ARC to work.
My HDMI cable is an amazon basics 1.4 and ARC capable.
Its conneted to HDMI 1 (arc capable) on the Vizio
Its connected to Monitor Out of my Onkyo TxNR616
In my Vizio settings, I have,
CEC Enabled
System Audio Control On
And it does recognize my receiver in Device Discovery
In the audio settings I have, Advanced Audio set to Dolby Digital, and Analog out set to Variable, and speakers off
In my Onkyo settings, I have the HDMI setting in Hardware setup set to
HDMI Control ON
Audio Return Channel Auto
I get nothing? Any ideas?

I also have the same issue, I can't get the ARC working on my Onkyo TX-NR515, I actually have two receivers and have tried both but no cigar. Had the same problem with both receivers on my LG 60PM6700 as well. I tried hooking the LG up to a soundbar downstairs and got ARC working so I suspect an issue withe the Onkyo's, however it's odd to have both of them not accepting ARC. I just updated both Onkyo's to the latest and greatest firmware but ARC is still not working. I hope someone gets this combo up, perhaps a problem for the Onkyo forum??? mad.gif

Also I have a pretty good screen, very uniform with only very mild feathers on bottom left and right only noticable on a full white screen, however compare to my LG Plasma, I notice the contrast really starts dropping off on horizontal viewing angles starting around 35ish degrees. Anyone else notice this?
rg1003 likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E701i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page