Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread
BobNilsen's Avatar BobNilsen 10:33 PM 02-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Does the TV need to be on to receive update? I have been on 1.1.4 since I purchased 1 month ago. Any way to manually install?

Ours notified us that we had been updated when turning the TV on this afternoon. My guess is that upgrades come in while the TV is "off"

MrAdventure's Avatar MrAdventure 10:43 PM 02-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversion View Post

New owner of a E701i-A3 here.. Took a gamble.. I wanted to get the Sharp but the price different was too enticing... Got it home and saw no flash lighting or unevenness anywhere.. Used Cnet's calibration settings and it looks much better.. I think for the money it provides a fantastic picture..

I was all set to go with the Sharp LC-70LE8470u at Costco yesterday, but when I went yesterday, they had the E601i-A3 sandwiched between the 8470u and the earlier 6400u, and the image quality that I saw on the Vizio unit was better than either Sharp, which seemed washed out, by comparison. I was able to go reset all three TVs back to default settings, and interestingly, the 6400u looked a lot better than the 8470u did, but the Vizio looked even better, more natural, IMO. I realized I could sacrifice 3D for the price break.

Setup was trivial, and I will eventually try the recommended settings, but so far, so good. At present, all the sources go directly to the TV, with audio going back to my receiver via the analog cables, though I'll try the optical out once I find my cable. The main video source is a TiVo HD unit putting out 1080i, and aside from some minor appearance of the Soap Opera Effect, I'm pleased. I also played some Xbox, and that was good, too. I may go back and try the recommended settings from earlier in the thread, but it's not high on the list..

Prior to this, I was using a Samsung DLP hl67a510, but apparently, the color wheel died, so it wasn't worth replacing.

Couple things - there was no manual besides the quick start guide, though I did find the full brochure in the menus. I was a little sad to see that Youtube wasn't a default app, but it was available in the 'store'. Beyond that, I am hoping that the plasticy/outgassing smell will not last too long, as it is a bit strong. Anyone else notice it?
dpiantino's Avatar dpiantino 07:59 AM 02-19-2013
What is going on behind the scenes for the different color presets. I can have the same numbers, but the overtone is different
blackssr's Avatar blackssr 09:25 AM 02-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNilsen View Post

Ours notified us that we had been updated when turning the TV on this afternoon. My guess is that upgrades come in while the TV is "off"

I got the update last night. When I turned TV on this morning I was notified that the update had been done. Any confirmation on what this update addresses? I called Vizio and the rep said that he is not given that info.
rickie's Avatar rickie 11:59 AM 02-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I'm not saying that you're incorrect about the local dimming but I scanned the 55 reviews on Amazon, read the CNET review and read the information on the Vizio web site and nowhere are the words "local dimming" mentioned concerning the M3D651SV. It is 3D and it is a simulated 240hz and it weighs over 100lbs. The "local dimming" feature is much ballyhooed by Sony with their two or three flagship "full array local dimming" models as is the Elite from Sharp. From what I've seen this feature (full array local dimming) is a major major item that no manufacture would fail to shout from the roof tops. The reason given as to why more of these type sets aren't out there is purely financial. Better PQ for sure but at a pretty high price jump. The powers that be know exactly where their bread is buttered. They feel that regular edge lit is OK and OK keeps the sales going. The new for 2013 Vizio 70" "edge lit local dimming" TV will be scrutinized to death by the reviewers and they will anticipate mediocre performance. But, if it shines, Vizio will set a major new technological bar for all other manufactures to aspire too (PQ wise). I hope it shines big time.

I'm surprised that Vizio didn't make more effort to highlight their local dimming feature for the M3D651 as well. It was certainly one of the reasons I went with it instead of the e Ser.

Vizio doesn't use the term local dimming, the use the term Smart dimming. But if you look at the definition of Smart dimming, (not to be confused with the ambient light sensing). it is local dimming. here is Vizio's explanation of Smart dimming:

you have to read through their "Learn More" links:

"...LED backlighting delivers a stunning, more evenly lit picture in a stylishly slim frame. Its brilliance is enhanced on select models with intelligent Smart Dimming™ zones that adapt to surrounding brightness for stunning realism that’s also more energy-efficient........"

the M3D651 has Smart dimming as part of their feature set. I read somewhere else that their were 32 zones, but I don't recall where I got that.

Thanks
Rick
indept's Avatar indept 12:12 PM 02-19-2013
Quote:

I got the update last night. When I turned TV on this morning I was notified that the update had been done. Any confirmation on what this update addresses? I called Vizio and the rep said that he is not given that info.
The rep at Vizio told me it addressed shuddering (or shuttering whichever spelling is correct) & lip sync issues.
blackssr's Avatar blackssr 01:07 PM 02-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

The rep at Vizio told me it addressed shuddering (or shuttering whichever spelling is correct) & lip sync issues.

I wish vizio would make a public definitive firmware update list of fixes and also make it optional or at least user installed. Sometimes firmware fixes address issues/problems and create others.
alaskajoel's Avatar alaskajoel 01:34 PM 02-19-2013
Been eyeing this TV for a while now. Finally went out and pulled the trigger. Long story short, I bought one, took it back after 30 minutes because of 3 dead pixels (two completely dead, one sub pixel dead). Went and exchanged, new one had 2 dead. Took it back for a return and I'm now back to using my trusty 55" Samsung. Viewing distance for this TV will be only about 9 feet, which makes a dead pixel stand out pretty bad, especially on a computer screen with web browsers open and lots of other white space. Not sure If I want to play this lottery again or not. Is there a secret to fixing it, or finding a serial number more likely to not have them?

PS: Loading up my tacoma with a big TV to return is no fun at all.
BDUB619's Avatar BDUB619 02:45 PM 02-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskajoel View Post

Is there a secret to fixing it, or finding a serial number more likely to not have them?

PS: Loading up my tacoma with a big TV to return is no fun at all.

No secret when it comes to dead pixels, just "luck of the draw". I've taken 3 back already in my Sport Trac, no fun at all! I'd recommend trying to grab one of the newest serial #'s, 03 or maybe 04 (if available yet).
dpiantino's Avatar dpiantino 03:18 PM 02-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post

I'm surprised that Vizio didn't make more effort to highlight their local dimming feature for the M3D651 as well. It was certainly one of the reasons I went with it instead of the e Ser.

Vizio doesn't use the term local dimming, the use the term Smart dimming. But if you look at the definition of Smart dimming, (not to be confused with the ambient light sensing). it is local dimming. here is Vizio's explanation of Smart dimming:

you have to read through their "Learn More" links:

"...LED backlighting delivers a stunning, more evenly lit picture in a stylishly slim frame. Its brilliance is enhanced on select models with intelligent Smart Dimming™ zones that adapt to surrounding brightness for stunning realism that’s also more energy-efficient........"

the M3D651 has Smart dimming as part of their feature set. I read somewhere else that their were 32 zones, but I don't recall where I got that.

Thanks
Rick

Maybe Vizio will reward the 70" owners with a new firmware that includes an advanced feature like this.
andy sullivan's Avatar andy sullivan 03:59 PM 02-19-2013
I don't think that Local Dimming is a upgradable feature. Seriously different technology and different screen. In the past Vizio has used screens from Samsung and Sharp. I think the 701 uses a , Non-Quatron Non-UV2A Sharp X-Gen ASV panel.., which is considered a very good panel.
falconman515's Avatar falconman515 04:30 PM 02-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post

Does it kind of look like a light stain on the back panel? If so, mine has this too. I returned my last one to Costco because it had this, and now my new one is worse (Serial #03) has 3 of them! Very faint, only noticable on a light color or white background when screen is panning from side to side, but I see it and it drives me nuts. Very frustrated. I'm lightly massaging the screen every couple days and hoping the TV will break in and this will fade away. I'll give it 3 more weeks, if it's still there, I'm throwing in the towel and taking back, will stick with my 60" SONY LCD until the next Black Friday or Super Bowl sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiantino View Post

It does look like a stain, or the panel is warped or something. However it is unnoticeable during normal tv viewing unless I get an all white screen. I've also noticed that the longer I use the tv. the more happy I am with the picture. I notice less uniformity issues now that I have some hours on the set. My inlaws arrived yesterday and they kept commenting on how great the picture looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrascu View Post

Yes. A stain is a better description. That's exactly what I was talking about. Sooner or later, everyone who uses the TV as a monitor will see it (after which, it can't be unseen). If you only use it as a TV, you may never see it... so I wouldn't worry about it in that circumstance.

Quote:

Completely agree. Most may not see it if only using as TV. But for gaming/PC usage, it's noticable. And distracting. And disappointing. Even the display model at my Costco has it. Someone mentioned in an earlier post it was very noticable on hockey games (white ice, screen panning) and I saw it there too. My first 2 E701's didn't have this, these last 2 do. Almost like a curtain stain on the back of the screen. Not acceptable.

I got the stain issue too .... Its in the same spot as most all others .... right in the middle left .... has this weird vertical blotch ... almost kinda like a non perfectly straight banding line but only in that one spot really.

Seems like a common issue on this TV set.

Here's hoping the new 70" M-Series TV comes out in the next couple months during my 90 day return period.

Other then that for the price this TV is absolutely amazing!!!
BDUB619's Avatar BDUB619 05:09 PM 02-19-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

Here's hoping the new 70" M-Series TV comes out in the next couple months during my 90 day return period.

You musta been reading my mind!! The M-Series looks AMAZING biggrin.gif
poop-dog's Avatar poop-dog 05:37 PM 02-19-2013
I got 1.1.5 today too. Got it on wifi too for all those who have questioned how it comes.
indept's Avatar indept 08:23 PM 02-19-2013
Quote:

I wish vizio would make a public definitive firmware update list of fixes and also make it optional or at least user installed. Sometimes firmware fixes address issues/problems and create others.
I have a 50" Philips plasma and they allow you to download it online to a USB thumbdrive & install it from that.
indept's Avatar indept 08:24 PM 02-19-2013
Quote:

You musta been reading my mind!! The M-Series looks AMAZING biggrin.gif
Which M series have you seen, I would like to see an M3D651SV to see if it looks better than the 701 but nobody stocks them to see.
Do they suffer from the "light stains" mentioned above, my 701 has them but it's subtle, but once you see them you always see them. I watch hockey so it does matter.
falconman515's Avatar falconman515 03:10 AM 02-20-2013
Quote:

Which M series have you seen, I would like to see an M3D651SV to see if it looks better than the 701 but nobody stocks them to see.
Do they suffer from the "light stains" mentioned above, my 701 has them but it's subtle, but once you see them you always see them. I watch hockey so it does matter.

The new M-Series TV's have not yet been released ... they are slated for first half (some say first quarter) .... I sure hope this thing comes out in the next 2 months.

Check it out ........... http://www.vizio.com/ces#!/hdtvm

This Bad Boy Is MINE if it releases soon.
indept's Avatar indept 10:40 AM 02-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

The new M-Series TV's have not yet been released ... they are slated for first half (some say first quarter) .... I sure hope this thing comes out in the next 2 months.

Check it out ........... http://www.vizio.com/ces#!/hdtvm

This Bad Boy Is MINE if it releases soon.

So the M series you speak of is different from the "M3D651SV" M series?
falconman515's Avatar falconman515 11:09 AM 02-20-2013
Quote:

So the M series you speak of is different from the "M3D651SV" M series?

Ohh ya .... whole new design and look with hopefully an even better picture!!!

Its the all new 2013 M-Series Vizios.

Here is what they will look like and should be on the shelves in the next couple months hopefully ........

andy sullivan's Avatar andy sullivan 12:52 PM 02-20-2013
If they are edge lit local dimming the PQ should be better if only because of better black levels and screen uniformity. Are they going to be 4K? If so that would be huge because of the advantage of passive 3D on the PQ level of current active 3D.
falconman515's Avatar falconman515 12:59 PM 02-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

If they are edge lit local dimming the PQ should be better if only because of better black levels and screen uniformity. Are they going to be 4K? If so that would be huge because of the advantage of passive 3D on the PQ level of current active 3D.

They are all Local Dimming with 240hz ... hopefully free of uniformity issues and better blacks

The 4K TV's are due the second half of this year and Are there new XVT line.

Both will have Passive 3D of course.
andy sullivan's Avatar andy sullivan 02:52 PM 02-20-2013
That sounds great. If Vizio delivers like I hope they will, better off axis viewing, better black levels, and the natural improvement via 4K's denser pixels saturation, then Vizio should be looked at an innovator in the industry. The 70" version under $3,000 should do the trick.
lorenzeami's Avatar lorenzeami 03:58 PM 02-20-2013
Regarding the outgassing, my wife was complaining and opening the windows for the first two weeks. I mentioned it to Vizio support and they said that nobody had every complained before. They emphasized if it was a burnt smell to shut down the tv and call right away.

And for the record they also weren't aware of the whites not being as brilliantly white as the M650VSE that I had side-by-side with the E701i-A3. (This was with CNet's settings). Now that I've tweaked it with DigitalVideoEssentials, THX config, Avia DVDs and especially the AVS Forum calibration tools I'm almost 100% satisfied with the overal picture quality - just wish the black was darker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAdventure View Post

I was all set to go with the Sharp LC-70LE8470u at Costco yesterday, but when I went yesterday, they had the E601i-A3 sandwiched between the 8470u and the earlier 6400u, and the image quality that I saw on the Vizio unit was better than either Sharp, which seemed washed out, by comparison. I was able to go reset all three TVs back to default settings, and interestingly, the 6400u looked a lot better than the 8470u did, but the Vizio looked even better, more natural, IMO. I realized I could sacrifice 3D for the price break.

Setup was trivial, and I will eventually try the recommended settings, but so far, so good. At present, all the sources go directly to the TV, with audio going back to my receiver via the analog cables, though I'll try the optical out once I find my cable. The main video source is a TiVo HD unit putting out 1080i, and aside from some minor appearance of the Soap Opera Effect, I'm pleased. I also played some Xbox, and that was good, too. I may go back and try the recommended settings from earlier in the thread, but it's not high on the list..

Prior to this, I was using a Samsung DLP hl67a510, but apparently, the color wheel died, so it wasn't worth replacing.

Couple things - there was no manual besides the quick start guide, though I did find the full brochure in the menus. I was a little sad to see that Youtube wasn't a default app, but it was available in the 'store'. Beyond that, I am hoping that the plasticy/outgassing smell will not last too long, as it is a bit strong. Anyone else notice it?

indept's Avatar indept 09:25 PM 02-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzeami View Post

Regarding the outgassing, my wife was complaining and opening the windows for the first two weeks. I mentioned it to Vizio support and they said that nobody had every complained before. They emphasized if it was a burnt smell to shut down the tv and call right away.

And for the record they also weren't aware of the whites not being as brilliantly white as the M650VSE that I had side-by-side with the E701i-A3. (This was with CNet's settings). Now that I've tweaked it with DigitalVideoEssentials, THX config, Avia DVDs and especially the AVS Forum calibration tools I'm almost 100% satisfied with the overal picture quality - just wish the black was darker.
I had noticed an "electronic" smell almost like a very faint burning resistor but not quite the same. This seemed to happen less and less the first week I had the TV, now it's gone (at 2 weeks). I still may take Vizio up on their special on extended warranties from 2 years (past initial year warranty) for $89 to 4 years additional for $149 (last day, Feb 28).

As for picture quality, I've been doing my own experimenting and am very happy with the picture.
Now I have a question, How many owners use the "built in" picture modes (Vivid, Standard, Movie, and a few sports modes). I find they are not very good as they come set. I have contemplated returning my TV for a refund because they have Baseball, Basketball, Football, & Golf modes but I'm a Hockey fan and they don't have a mode for us... Those Bastages... biggrin.gif. They must not sell many TVs in Canada.
lorenzeami's Avatar lorenzeami 12:43 AM 02-21-2013
Quote:

I had noticed an "electronic" smell almost like a very faint burning resistor but not quite the same. This seemed to happen less and less the first week I had the TV, now it's gone (at 2 weeks). I still may take Vizio up on their special on extended warranties from 2 years (past initial year warranty) for $89 to 4 years additional for $149 (last day, Feb 28).

As for picture quality, I've been doing my own experimenting and am very happy with the picture.
Now I have a question, How many owners use the "built in" picture modes (Vivid, Standard, Movie, and a few sports modes). I find they are not very good as they come set. I have contemplated returning my TV for a refund because they have Baseball, Basketball, Football, & Golf modes but I'm a Hockey fan and they don't have a mode for us... Those Bastages... biggrin.gif. They must not sell many TVs in Canada.

I use Baseball for Formula 1 and Football for Sumo.
MrAdventure's Avatar MrAdventure 09:42 AM 02-22-2013
I am experiencing occasional dropout of audio, for a fraction of a second at a time. I've only noticed it with the TiVo Input, not with either the Xbox or my PS3/BR player. It's not in the recordings, because if I back up and press play again, the same dropouts do not occur.

The setup I'm using is that all devices connect to the Vizio, via HDMI and I run a TOSLink back to my old Yamaha RXV793 unit, without the TV speakers. I started with RCA audio cables, but they didn't pass the encoding on, and may have done the same thing.

I'm going to try playing around with the digital audio settings and see if they make a difference, but otherwise, the audio output is great. I have changed TOSLink cables, because the original one was too short for the arrangement I have.

Anyone else experience this? I do not have a lip sync issue.
RichardCarver's Avatar RichardCarver 09:46 AM 02-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzeami View Post

I use Baseball for Formula 1 and Football for Sumo.

It's been proven that Vizio simply doesn't like Canadians, something about all those moose and La Blat beer.tongue.gif
RichardCarver's Avatar RichardCarver 09:48 AM 02-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAdventure View Post

I am experiencing occasional dropout of audio, for a fraction of a second at a time. I've only noticed it with the TiVo Input, not with either the Xbox or my PS3/BR player. It's not in the recordings, because if I back up and press play again, the same dropouts do not occur.

The setup I'm using is that all devices connect to the Vizio, via HDMI and I run a TOSLink back to my old Yamaha RXV793 unit, without the TV speakers. I started with RCA audio cables, but they didn't pass the encoding on, and may have done the same thing.

I'm going to try playing around with the digital audio settings and see if they make a difference, but otherwise, the audio output is great. I have changed TOSLink cables, because the original one was too short for the arrangement I have.

Anyone else experience this? I do not have a lip sync issue.

This is totally anecdotal but it seems a lot of troubles are traced back to toslink with this set. It seems to refer all hdmi.
Suzook's Avatar Suzook 10:04 AM 02-22-2013
Chad B is coming Monday. Cant wait to see what he can do to this set.

I am not 100% sure but I think he is the first pro ISF to touch this set.
RichardCarver's Avatar RichardCarver 10:10 AM 02-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Chad B is coming Monday. Cant wait to see what he can do to this set.

I am not 100% sure but I think he is the first pro ISF to touch this set.

Will you share the settings or shall we start a collection now??wink.gif
Tags: Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop