Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #901 of 2454 Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
RichardCarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Are you home yet?
Are you home yet?
Are you home yet?
Are you home yet?
Are you home yet?
Are you home yet?
Are you home yet?
Are you home yet?
Are you home yet?
Are you home yet?
Are you home yet?
Are you home yet?
Are you home yet?
Are you home yet?
Are you home yet?




How bout now?

wonder if suzook is home yet?

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
RichardCarver is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #902 of 2454 Old 02-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Member
 
rhalllhall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Just got off the phone with Vizio, I got the 5 year (1yr manuf + 4) for $149. I asked about the shipping issue rased a few posts ago, and he said not true. In fact I asked him if he could send me a copy and he replied "no" but said I can view it online at Squaretrade.com. I mentioned that I read Costco's uses them and he said they are the ones that refered Vizio to squaretrade. According to squaretrade, if the repair needs to go to the shop, thay pay any cost & the serviceman transports it, not me.

The issue is not with SquareTrade as it is plainly stated in their warranty. The problem is with the Vizio warranty for the first year as nowhere does it say its an in home warranty. The guy that ranted earlier about no way in hell this isn't an in home warranty & to read my warranty & that he called to confirm, well I read my warranty & no where does it say in home. It strikes me as odd that they wouldn't sent you a copy of what everybody is assuming is an in home warranty. Vizio can tell you anything on the phone but if it's not on paper it aint squat. I have a Samsung 55" tv & it says right in the warranty that it is in home, so why is Vizio so evasive??
rhalllhall is offline  
post #903 of 2454 Old 02-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
rickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiantino View Post

I used the blue filter. The color blinking patterns changed very slightly as i adjusted the gain. I adjusted the color, tint, then color gain. I then went back and had to tweak color and tint slightly.

The pattern is under misc.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that on my set.

rick
rickie is offline  
post #904 of 2454 Old 02-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
falconman515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fresno, CA.
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB619 View Post

Only the last 2 had the "stain" issue. Unfortunately this is something that's tricky to catch in a still photo because it's only visible when something is moving across a light-colored screen. Maybe someone else can try & capture it? But it IS real and it WAS there. I'm really disappointed too because I like everything else about this TV, but in the end I just can't settle for a flawed picture.

Yep I'm in the same boat ... I have the Same Exact Issue (just as many others have had) and once you see it you can never 'not see it' ... This thing is going back For Sure but I'm just holding out till the end of my 90 days (end of April) and hoping that this new M-series is out by then ... if not I will return this TV bring the 55" back in the living room from the bedroom till the new series releases.

I am crossing all my fingers that this upcoming M-Series line is the ticket and I can stop buying and returning TV's (had the 65" Vizio but banding was horrifically bad and not this TV with this dirty screen) ... huge bummer cause like you said I Love this TV and even the last 65" but this crap with seeing things in the screen during movement on light colored screen and backgrounds is killing me ... the last TV was banding now this tv has this weird dirty looking screen issue.

Guess they'll get it right sometime .... I have had 2 Vizios over the last 3 years and have been nothing but happy with them ... for some reason this line of TV's are just not up to par for some reason.
falconman515 is offline  
post #905 of 2454 Old 02-25-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhalllhall View Post

The issue is not with SquareTrade as it is plainly stated in their warranty. The problem is with the Vizio warranty for the first year as nowhere does it say its an in home warranty. The guy that ranted earlier about no way in hell this isn't an in home warranty & to read my warranty & that he called to confirm, well I read my warranty & no where does it say in home. It strikes me as odd that they wouldn't sent you a copy of what everybody is assuming is an in home warranty. Vizio can tell you anything on the phone but if it's not on paper it aint squat. I have a Samsung 55" tv & it says right in the warranty that it is in home, so why is Vizio so evasive??

If worried about it return your TV or buy the Squaretrade warranty as it will pick up the slack for the first year. I called Vizio again just now as was told TVs over 30" are in home only. Take it for what its worth and move on. I can only relay what I am told. I am sure if Vizio would make everyone who had a large TV ship it back to them for repair we would have a large number of members crying about it. Don't you think? You are crying about it before it even happens.
blackssr is offline  
post #906 of 2454 Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Its official guys.....chad has worked his magic again. Fantastic pq on this set after a 6 hour calibration.
Suzook is offline  
post #907 of 2454 Old 02-25-2013, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
indept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Deptford,Nj.
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhalllhall View Post

The issue is not with SquareTrade as it is plainly stated in their warranty. The problem is with the Vizio warranty for the first year as nowhere does it say its an in home warranty. The guy that ranted earlier about no way in hell this isn't an in home warranty & to read my warranty & that he called to confirm, well I read my warranty & no where does it say in home. It strikes me as odd that they wouldn't sent you a copy of what everybody is assuming is an in home warranty. Vizio can tell you anything on the phone but if it's not on paper it aint squat. I have a Samsung 55" tv & it says right in the warranty that it is in home, so why is Vizio so evasive??
What he didn't have wasn't the 1 year but the extended warranty which is Square trade so I didn't have any issues with that.
indept is offline  
post #908 of 2454 Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
indept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Deptford,Nj.
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Its official guys.....chad has worked his magic again. Fantastic pq on this set after a 6 hour calibration.

Sounds great. Now I am happy as hell with my PQ after just messing around with the setting. Granted it's not as scientific as you got but I can't imagine the PQ being any better. Just curious, did he set anything beyond the standard picture settings & color levels?
indept is offline  
post #909 of 2454 Old 02-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Member
 
udt89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Sounds great. Now I am happy as hell with my PQ after just messing around with the setting. Granted it's not as scientific as you got but I can't imagine the PQ being any better. Just curious, did he set anything beyond the standard picture settings & color levels?

I'm debating having someone local to me isf calibrate my screen. Just curious what takes 6 hours and if there's more to it than the standard menu adjusting.

udt89 is offline  
post #910 of 2454 Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Newbie
 
gmicalzoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you are considering buying a Roku, Android USB Stick or WD Live box to watch .mkv or .flv files, DON'T! Vizio TV's Can Play Matroska and Flash (.mkv and .flv) Video Formats! I now love this TV even more... Yeap, besides .asf, .wmv, .avi (Xvid & Divx), .mp4, .mov, .mpg, .mpeg, .vob (DVD), and others that it can see from a USB device, you can change the file extension for .mkv and .flv to .mp4 and you will be able to see the file on the Vizio Media app, just click on it and it will load the correct codecs for the file and play it beautifully.

Note: .webm, and .rmvb won't play due to missing codecs (.RMVB will only show a black screnn with audio since it loads the .rm or .ra audio codecs).

My guess is that the processor they are using like the Armada on the Co-Star, can play many formats but due to licensing they do not enable all of them and only let you see some of them. Since the codecs are there, it by default loads the correct one to play the container even if it has another file extension just like VLC Player and others due.

Much better than a Roku (can only play .mp4 and some .mkv types) and no need to transcode or buy an Android box or WD live box biggrin.gif
gmicalzoma is offline  
post #911 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
falconman515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fresno, CA.
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Its official guys.....chad has worked his magic again. Fantastic pq on this set after a 6 hour calibration.

Where are these settings?
falconman515 is offline  
post #912 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 2,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Having calibrated more Sharp Quattrons and videophile-approved Panasonic VT50 plasmas than I could keep track of lately, I welcomed the opportunity to spend some time with a high value, high tech LED display from Vizio, the 70E701i-A3.

In my normal move around the room test, the Vizio exhibited somewhat sensitive off axis behavior; it's viewing angle seemed slightly wider before color shifts than that of top of the line Sharps and Samsungs, though it's far from a sit anywhere TV. As I moved a few feet off axis, skin tones began to turn pink and blacks began to loose their richness.

The semi-gloss screen does not have the sharp mirror like surface of some brands, and it does a good job of staying dark in indirect ambient light. However, it picks up significant but somewhat diffuse glare from direct light.

Blacks are dark but a bit cloudy; some lighter spots are visible, especially on the left and bottom screen edges. White uniformity was good enough not to be visible with normal picture content, though white and gray fields revealed a slight darkening and yellowing across the top and, to a lesser extent, the bottom.

Before calibration:

Standard mode's presentation is smooth and relaxed, but with extremely rich colors. Skin tones have the chronic sun-burnt look, and greens look exaggerated. Shadow detail looks fairly neutral, though possibly a bit on the dark side. The Vizio has excellent contrast and black levels. However, bright white shades seem a bit homogenized or blended together. Overall brightness seems fairly well balanced in a dark viewing environment. I found the image to be rich and seductive, and far better than most displays out of the box, but the color appears to be over the top.

In Movie mode, brightness and color are both lower than in Standard, which helps flesh tones look more natural while overall image vibrancy takes a significant step down. White shades seem to be handled better, though detail in dark objects seems to sink down into the black background. Blacks are surprisingly deep, helping to offset the lack of punch caused by the low light output. Inoffensive yet uninvolving, Movie mode seems to cast a slight veil or haze over the image.

Whites look both too cool and overblown in Game mode, and flesh tones take on a decisively pinkish hue. Good overall brightness and shadow detail combine with the excellent contrast to give an exciting but garish and unnatural presentation.

Vivid mode appears to take the basic characteristics of Game mode to altogether annoying levels. The bluish whites are blended together and hyped; detail is exaggerated, with unrealistic edging. Color is unlike anything seen on planet Earth.

Football, Golf, Basketball, and Baseball modes all look like slight variations of Game mode. I can only imagine the crazy arguments between the marketing and engineering departments over these unnecessarily categorized modes, and I would be surprised if any owners actually took pleasure in changing picture modes with each sport they decide to watch.

Custom mode looks very similar to Standard mode.

Calibration:

With contrast set to preserve WTW headroom to digital level 248, the on/off contrast ratio measured an excellent 3245:1, with a black level of .01195fL. With a more aggressive contrast setting that preserved less WTW headroom, the contrast ratio improved to 3538:1. The ANSI checkerboard contrast ratio and levels were nearly identical.

The Vizio lacks some fine calibration adjustments that have become somewhat common on recent high end displays: multipoint white balance controls and CMS controls. The multipoint adjustment was not sorely missed, though the gamma improvement may have resulted in a very slightly richer picture with more depth. However, the lack of CMS adjustment was more serious, meaning that adjustment of the color and tint involved more compromise than normal and finding the best settings became trickier. On the positive side, the Vizio exhibited good color decoding performance with level, unlike the Quattrons. RGB, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:4:4 color spaces were all handled correctly via the HDMI input at 1080P, and resolution was crisp and pixel perfect.

The before and after calibration measurements are shown in the attachment.

Vizio 70E701i-A3.pdf 826k .pdf file

The white balance settings were global to each picture preset that used the same color temperature preset. Therefore, after adjusting the white balance in Movie mode, Standard mode benefited from the adjustment as well. However, they were not global to all inputs.

After calibration:

Skin tones look quite natural, without the chronic sunburnt look. The color is rich and vibrant, and while all shades of color are not perfectly accurate, the look is pleasing. The veil has been lifted from Movie mode, and the picture comes through with excellent pop and vibrancy. The black level is very impressive for an LED display without local dimming, so contrast looks good even in darker movie scenes like the beginning of chapter 2 of The Dark Knight. Shadow detail appears to be well balanced, if on the dark side of neutral. Bright scenes have plenty of pop, and the Vizio has a fantastic ability to eschew graininess, contouring, and other unnatural artifacts. Watching hockey, the Dirty Screen Effect is not obtrusive, and if it was present at all it was very slight and fleeting. Motion is handled extremely well, on both DirecTV and Blu Ray material.

The Vizio is a pleasure to watch, despite the fact that it will never be heralded as being the latest Kuro Killer or having reference grade accuracy. It's picture quality shows a good combination of strengths and compares very favorably with other similarly sized, if more expensive, sets of it's type.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vizio 70E701i-A3.pdf (826.4 KB, 199 views)
Suzook and psklenar like this.
Chad B is offline  
post #913 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmicalzoma View Post

If you are considering buying a Roku, Android USB Stick or WD Live box to watch .mkv or .flv files, DON'T! Vizio TV's Can Play Matroska and Flash (.mkv and .flv) Video Formats! I now love this TV even more... Yeap, besides .asf, .wmv, .avi (Xvid & Divx), .mp4, .mov, .mpg, .mpeg, .vob (DVD), and others that it can see from a USB device, you can change the file extension for .mkv and .flv to .mp4 and you will be able to see the file on the Vizio Media app, just click on it and it will load the correct codecs for the file and play it beautifully.

Note: .webm, and .rmvb won't play due to missing codecs (.RMVB will only show a black screnn with audio since it loads the .rm or .ra audio codecs).

My guess is that the processor they are using like the Armada on the Co-Star, can play many formats but due to licensing they do not enable all of them and only let you see some of them. Since the codecs are there, it by default loads the correct one to play the container even if it has another file extension just like VLC Player and others due.

Much better than a Roku (can only play .mp4 and some .mkv types) and no need to transcode or buy an Android box or WD live box biggrin.gif

Are these MKVs 1:1 Bluray rips or crap downloaded from the web? Did the MKV contain HD audio and 1080P video? Did forced/sub titles work? What is the max bitrate the TV can handle?
Thanks in advance.
blackssr is offline  
post #914 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Member
 
dpiantino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Having calibrated more Sharp Quattrons and videophile-approved Panasonic VT50 plasmas than I could keep track of lately, I welcomed the opportunity to spend some time with a high value, high tech LED display from Vizio, the 70E701i-A3.

In my normal move around the room test, the Vizio exhibited somewhat sensitive off axis behavior; it's viewing angle seemed slightly wider before color shifts than that of top of the line Sharps and Samsungs, though it's far from a sit anywhere TV. As I moved a few feet off axis, skin tones began to turn pink and blacks began to loose their richness.

The semi-gloss screen does not have the sharp mirror like surface of some brands, and it does a good job of staying dark in indirect ambient light. However, it picks up significant but somewhat diffuse glare from direct light.

Blacks are dark but a bit cloudy; some lighter spots are visible, especially on the left and bottom screen edges. White uniformity was good enough not to be visible with normal picture content, though white and gray fields revealed a slight darkening and yellowing across the top and, to a lesser extent, the bottom.

Before calibration:

Standard mode's presentation is smooth and relaxed, but with extremely rich colors. Skin tones have the chronic sun-burnt look, and greens look exaggerated. Shadow detail looks fairly neutral, though possibly a bit on the dark side. The Vizio has excellent contrast and black levels. However, bright white shades seem a bit homogenized or blended together. Overall brightness seems fairly well balanced in a dark viewing environment. I found the image to be rich and seductive, and far better than most displays out of the box, but the color appears to be over the top.

In Movie mode, brightness and color are both lower than in Standard, which helps flesh tones look more natural while overall image vibrancy takes a significant step down. White shades seem to be handled better, though detail in dark objects seems to sink down into the black background. Blacks are surprisingly deep, helping to offset the lack of punch caused by the low light output. Inoffensive yet uninvolving, Movie mode seems to cast a slight veil or haze over the image.

Whites look both too cool and overblown in Game mode, and flesh tones take on a decisively pinkish hue. Good overall brightness and shadow detail combine with the excellent contrast to give an exciting but garish and unnatural presentation.

Vivid mode appears to take the basic characteristics of Game mode to altogether annoying levels. The bluish whites are blended together and hyped; detail is exaggerated, with unrealistic edging. Color is unlike anything seen on planet Earth.

Football, Golf, Basketball, and Baseball modes all look like slight variations of Game mode. I can only imagine the crazy arguments between the marketing and engineering departments over these unnecessarily categorized modes, and I would be surprised if any owners actually took pleasure in changing picture modes with each sport they decide to watch.

Custom mode looks very similar to Standard mode.

Calibration:

With contrast set to preserve WTW headroom to digital level 248, the on/off contrast ratio measured an excellent 3245:1, with a black level of .01195fL. With a more aggressive contrast setting that preserved less WTW headroom, the contrast ratio improved to 3538:1. The ANSI checkerboard contrast ratio and levels were nearly identical.

The Vizio lacks some fine calibration adjustments that have become somewhat common on recent high end displays: multipoint white balance controls and CMS controls. The multipoint adjustment was not sorely missed, though the gamma improvement may have resulted in a very slightly richer picture with more depth. However, the lack of CMS adjustment was more serious, meaning that adjustment of the color and tint involved more compromise than normal and finding the best settings became trickier. On the positive side, the Vizio exhibited good color decoding performance with level, unlike the Quattrons. RGB, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:4:4 color spaces were all handled correctly via the HDMI input at 1080P, and resolution was crisp and pixel perfect.

The before and after calibration measurements are shown in the attachment.

Vizio 70E701i-A3.pdf 826k .pdf file

The white balance settings were global to each picture preset that used the same color temperature preset. Therefore, after adjusting the white balance in Movie mode, Standard mode benefited from the adjustment as well. However, they were not global to all inputs.

After calibration:

Skin tones look quite natural, without the chronic sunburnt look. The color is rich and vibrant, and while all shades of color are not perfectly accurate, the look is pleasing. The veil has been lifted from Movie mode, and the picture comes through with excellent pop and vibrancy. The black level is very impressive for an LED display without local dimming, so contrast looks good even in darker movie scenes like the beginning of chapter 2 of The Dark Knight. Shadow detail appears to be well balanced, if on the dark side of neutral. Bright scenes have plenty of pop, and the Vizio has a fantastic ability to eschew graininess, contouring, and other unnatural artifacts. Watching hockey, the Dirty Screen Effect is not obtrusive, and if it was present at all it was very slight and fleeting. Motion is handled extremely well, on both DirecTV and Blu Ray material.

The Vizio is a pleasure to watch, despite the fact that it will never be heralded as being the latest Kuro Killer or having reference grade accuracy. It's picture quality shows a good combination of strengths and compares very favorably with other similarly sized, if more expensive, sets of it's type.

In your opinion:

What sets would you put this set above without considering cost? What set would be one step above this set? Were the gains after calibration subtle or dramatic from a visual perspective? Do you ever make your way through Huntsville, AL?
dpiantino is offline  
post #915 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Its official guys.....chad has worked his magic again. Fantastic pq on this set after a 6 hour calibration.

In laymans terms, what do you see different now as opposed to before calibration? If the before and after sets we side by side could you spot the calibrated set with ease or would you have to study the picture? Do you have an ISF setting in the menu now? Could you accidently restore the settings by playing with the menu or is it locked? What is the cost?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.


P.S. Do the wife and the dog like it better now? :-)
Suzook likes this.
blackssr is offline  
post #916 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Newbie
 
gmicalzoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I played a variety of .mkv from old stuff I had from 2010 to new ones at 720p an 1080p without problems. Subtitles need to be integrated in the file for any video format ( one can use mkvtoolnix or other soft). It seems it can't load .srt, etc.

I haven't tried but for what I have read the E701i-A3 or any other Vizio TVs (including the Co-Star and BluRay Player) it seems they can't process or support DTS decoding or by-pass (just Dolby / SRS) so any file using it will probably not have audio. The only exception is the Vizio VHT 5.1 Home Theater Sound Bar (Dolby Digital, DTS-HD, SRS CircleCinema HD, and SRS StudioSound HD certified) which by providence I got new for $200 at Costco about a year ago and love! (Yes I have had a lot of luck at Costco,first this soundbar and saturday the E701i-A3 for $900 :-)

You can use Popcorn MKV to change or remove DTS/ACC or OGG tracks and convert audio to AC3,MP3,AAC,MP3. I will probably try playing a DTS/MKV to see if the sound can by-pass via SPDIF and be decoded by the Vizio VHT soundbar.
gmicalzoma is offline  
post #917 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
falconman515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fresno, CA.
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
So where are the exact picture settings from Chad?
falconman515 is offline  
post #918 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Newbie
 
Morael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

So where are the exact picture settings from Chad?
You're a fool if you think they'll get posted.
Someone had to pay good money, and a lot of it at that, to get those settings.
It would be shameful to post them, and hurtful to Chad's business.


What Chad posted shows you that there is a significant difference between the stock settings of the TV and the calibrated settings that he achieved.

Then again, that's statistics.

Equate it to speed and perspective... some of the settings posted might be 160 mph and his settings are 180 mph.... some people may be able to see the difference, to the others: fast is fast.

I, like some of the others here, would like to know if he gained access to any special menus to do the calibration. I feel that question is justified, I don't need to know numbers. I just need to know where the playing field ends.



-J
Morael is offline  
post #919 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 2,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 297
No special modes or menus. It's optimizing what's available that makes the difference.
Chad B is offline  
post #920 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Member
 
dpiantino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Chad:

In your opinion:

What sets would you put this set above without considering cost? What set would be one step above this set? Were the gains after calibration subtle or dramatic from a visual perspective? Do you ever make your way through Huntsville, AL?
dpiantino is offline  
post #921 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
falconman515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fresno, CA.
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morael View Post

You're a fool if you think they'll get posted.
Someone had to pay good money, and a lot of it at that, to get those settings.
It would be shameful to post them, and hurtful to Chad's business.

Well I suppose that makes sense since he is doing this as a business ... Ohh well I'm ok with the CNet settings and tweaked a few notches here and there to my liking ... can't see it would be a massive improvement anyway.

Though having a to the max calibrated TV would be SWEET.

This TV only has Very Basic settings to calibrate the picture ... how much tweaking can you do without advanced options like other high end / high priced TV's
falconman515 is offline  
post #922 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I am more that thrilled to read Chads impressions of the Vizo. I know he's done a lot of calibrations on very expensive stat of the art displays, including the Elite from Sharp and the VT50 plasma from Panasonic. For him to praise the Vizio is high praise indeed. Any time I can get more than average bang for my buck I'm a happy camper. It sounds like this Vizio goes well above average. I plan on keeping this one for a long time but I am looking forward to hearing more about the 2013 M series coming later this year.
andy sullivan is offline  
post #923 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 2,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiantino View Post

Chad:

In your opinion:

What sets would you put this set above without considering cost? What set would be one step above this set? Were the gains after calibration subtle or dramatic from a visual perspective? Do you ever make your way through Huntsville, AL?
I'd put it slightly above the Sharp 632U; the 632's color is more accurate, but the Vizio is smoother and slightly more natural. The 632u is not a Quattron (EDIT: it does have CMS, though not 10 point). Interestingly, even though the Vizio lacks CMS adjustment and the Sharp Quattrons like the 844U have it, the Vizio's color is actually more accurate overall because the yellow pixel actually degrades color accuracy despite CMS adjustment. I'd put the Vizio above any recent LG plasma and possibly their edge lit LED sets because the Vizio has much better contrast.
The Panasonic VT50 plasma is my current favorite.
One step above the Vizio would be something like a Sony 850, though I believe it's smaller; at least the ones I've done have been. The 850 shares the Vizio's good points and has very accurate color.
Compared to out of the box condition, the improvement in calibration on the Vizio was not subtle. As I said in the review, the best performance before cal was somewhere in between Standard mode and Movie mode. Calibration brought together the best characteristics of each and then some.
Yes, I will be traveling from Mississippi to Knoxville soon, and I will be driving through Alabama. I would have to check my schedule and see if we could work something out if you want. There wouldn't be any wiggle room in the schedule, though.
BTW, it took 6 hours because I was evaluating it for review. I took my time learning the characteristics of it's performance. Subsequent calibrations would be much quicker.
Suzook likes this.
Chad B is offline  
post #924 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Member
 
dpiantino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Let me know what your schedule would be if you could fit it in. I've got the E70, but I'm thinking about returning it for the M70 when it comes out. I've got the offcenter "stain". Like other have said; Once you see it you can't unsee it.
dpiantino is offline  
post #925 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
falconman515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fresno, CA.
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiantino View Post

Let me know what your schedule would be if you could fit it in. I've got the E70, but I'm thinking about returning it for the M70 when it comes out. I've got the offcenter "stain". Like other have said; Once you see it you can't unsee it.

If my TV didn't have this it would be a 100% Keeper!!!

But for this one issue it is going back ... that M-Series 70" will be my new toy in a few months hopefully .
falconman515 is offline  
post #926 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Member
 
bill875's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Conover, NC
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
falconman, I'm sorry to hear that your e70 isn't a keeper. I finally decided to schedule a pickup/return of my M650 and e70 to Sam's Club and at the same time, have them ship me an exchange e70. It arrived on Friday with an older serial number within the range of the affected units and the container/box was filthy black on the bottom half was beat all to heck. I refused shipment and now Sam's Club won't do anything else for me until all three units are received back which could take 10-15 days. They even went so far as to say they could not guarantee they could keep the $1549 price locked in. I take this all to be a sign that I should just wait for the M70. Any predictions on what the initial price will be for the M70?
bill875 is offline  
post #927 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Member
 
dpiantino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Someone try these settings

Movie
Backlight subjective
Brightness 50
Contrast 74
Color 48
Tint 0
Sharpness 1

Rg 96
Gg 102
Bg 114

Ro 124
Go 123
Bg 128
dpiantino is offline  
post #928 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
indept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Deptford,Nj.
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

No special modes or menus. It's optimizing what's available that makes the difference.
Do you have the ability to "permanently save the settings or would they be lost in a power outage (or set unplugged) or if someone inadvertently pressed the reset to factory defaults button?
indept is offline  
post #929 of 2454 Old 02-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
falconman515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fresno, CA.
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill875 View Post

fAny predictions on what the initial price will be for the M70?

Not a clue really ... the retail price is $2,499 .... It never sells for that at the big box store ... If I had to guess based on previous TV's in that price range over the years it will start out at 2199-2399.

I think it will come in around $2,399 since this 70" E-series will probably still be for sale and the regular retail for that is 1900.

Being that this E-series 70" series sells for regular price of $100 less then retail which is 1,999 ... the M-Series 70" will go for $2,399 .....

Then once it hits a sale it will go as low as $2,099 / 2,049 (they do the 300 or 350 bucks off a lot when it reaches the peak sale price) ... probably the first sale will be like 150-200 off making it around 2,199 / 2,249 ... Something Like That "Probably"

All just guesses but this is kind of the common pricing scheme for Costco and Vizio TV's and how the sales work.

Hoping to get it the day it arrives and then see a huge sale on it within the next 90 days and just get a price adjustment and get a few hundred bucks back.

All I know is that bad boy is Mine when it comes out!!!
bill875 likes this.
falconman515 is offline  
post #930 of 2454 Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 2,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Do you have the ability to "permanently save the settings or would they be lost in a power outage (or set unplugged) or if someone inadvertently pressed the reset to factory defaults button?

No, just have to write them down.
Chad B is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off