Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 2640 Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Glad to hear you got a good one! Such a wonderful set especially for the price!

As for my plans...............I don't know yet, mostly bc I don't have clarity as to when I'll be able to pull the trigger. I'm pretty sure it won't be before most of the 2013 70" models are out. Then the question becomes...what about the 80"ers? And the Samsung75"ers? And the Vizio 4K sets. And price. And and and. Unfortunately the round trip I had with the Vizio has put me back on the fence (through no fault of the set itself) Ugh!!

These are the good old days as price and size blaze past each other in opposite directions. After installing this 70 I realized I'm approaching the maximum physical size for my house. I think an 80 is going to be the limit without having to move my head to watch! I think within two years we'll see 80s in the same price range as this 70.

I remember replacing my 20" RCA with a 27" flat tube Sony and then replacing that with a 47" Toshiba LCD in '07, who knows what will be available in two years? eek.gif

I'm just getting it set up, still have to install Roku, S390 and sound bar.

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2640 Old 03-13-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Looks great! And I hear you about the rates of change. I look forward to the day when 8K is built into sheetrock smile.gif

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #993 of 2640 Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

Amazon or Costco??

Amazon just lowered their price to $1598 (no tax), and Costco also lowered to $1549 (+local tax).

Where would you get from, and why?

Is the ease of returning to brick and mortar Costco worth the extra $100 I will spend if I get from Costco after paying taxes? Both are giving 2% back (I have the upgraded Costco membership). I'd get 2nd year warranty with both stores cos I'm using Amex. Or will Costco option give me a 3rd year via Amex?

Is warranty work easy to do with Amazon? Effort required to package TV, etc worth it?

I'm leaning towards Costco even

Sorry for any newb rules I may have broken ;-)

Thanks all..
post #994 of 2640 Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I had the exact same choice to make and went with Amazon. No tax is a big deal and Amazon's return policy is actually better IMO that Costco's. Just call them and they will have the original delivery company come and re-box the TV and take it away. No questions asked. If you belong to Costco you can still buy the Square Trade warranty through Costco (no matter where you buy the TV) for $99 and save money over buying from Amazon or Square Trade directly. Amazon also includes deluxe delivery which is a nice touch. If you need to return the TV to Costco that's your chore and a big one. There are two advantages to buying from Costco though. They double the factory warranty from one to two years. This also makes that 3yr extended warranty from Square Trade go from 4yr to 5yr. I chose to save the money up front, get the 4 year warranty instead of the 5. I did return my fist TV with no problems at all and had the new one in three days. I love Costco and buy a lot of stuff from them but not this time.
post #995 of 2640 Old 03-13-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I should have mentioned another big plus for buying from Costco. They have a 90 day return policy compared to Amazon's 30 day policy. But that return is so difficult if you don't have a way to get the TV back to them. ON the 4yr vs. 5yr warranty difference, I feel that if it's out of warranty and dies on me I'll be happy with it's life and most likely in the mood for a new set anyway. If I always waited for a TV to crap out on me I'd never get a new one.
post #996 of 2640 Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 AM

Liked: 14
Another reason to purchase from Costco is (assuming you have the means to transport) if the set is bad or needs to be exchanged it only takes a trip to Costco. So it's a matter of hrs to replace a TV versus days with Amazon. I'm an instant gratification person:) I'm not knocking Amazon as I'm a Prime member and do quite a bit of shopping on the site.
post #997 of 2640 Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Amazon's shippers DO NOT repack the TV. You need to do so. I know, I did this recently with my 70" Vizio.

That said, my purchase and return experience with Amazon were very good overall. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again, especially when I'm not already a member of Costco or Sams.

Double True!
post #998 of 2640 Old 03-14-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 22
Anyone having problems with Roku 2 or 3 with their E70? They both become unresponsive during set up. I installed a new 3 to my E60 with no issues, am I missing something?

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
post #999 of 2640 Old 03-14-2013, 11:51 AM

Amazon's shippers may not repack- can't say myself, but Vizio's shippers did with an exchange I received Monday. Manna was the company. They sent 2 guys and unpacked the new one then packed the old one into the new box. This included installing the base.
post #1000 of 2640 Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 PM

I hear that if within the first year if the TV needs repair, then Costco or amazon makes you deal directly with Vizio, where u may have to pay shipping cost yourself to have it sent to vizio?
Anybody deal with that?
post #1001 of 2640 Old 03-14-2013, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huss2k View Post

I hear that if within the first year if the TV needs repair, then Costco or amazon makes you deal directly with Vizio, where u may have to pay shipping cost yourself to have it sent to vizio?
Anybody deal with that?
If it needs service during first year vizio sends service to the house or replace the TV at their own cost.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #1002 of 2640 Old 03-15-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:

Anybody deal with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post

If it needs service during first year vizio sends service to the house or replace the TV at their own cost.

Vizio simply sent me a replacement no questions asked. There were no shipping costs under warranty.
post #1003 of 2640 Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 AM

I bought my tv from Walmart.. and now it's $100 cheaper. Does anybody know if Walmart does a price adjustment within it's 90 day return period?

If not that would be stupid being I could just pack it up, return it and get my money back and re-purchase another at a lower price. It's in their best interest to refund the difference.

Looking for the perfect sub these days..
post #1004 of 2640 Old 03-15-2013, 11:54 AM

I've noticed studdering/stuttering pretty much all the time with Netflix (Apple TV), not built in.. I've noticed it with regular content too, i'm on the latest 1.1.5 firmware too..

Looking for the perfect sub these days..
post #1005 of 2640 Old 03-15-2013, 03:20 PM

Well, the Vizio FINALLY arrived at our house ..... exactly 2 weeks from the day I ordered it on Costco.com. This past week, the TV dropped $40 in price (called Costco.com and the quickly refunded it to my CC) and then dropped another $30 a day or two later. Again, I called Costco.com for the refund of $30. I must say, it was so great to be able do this with a quick easy phone call. Love Costco! I will continue to monitor the price on this set. Wonder how long they will refund for a price drop?

Also, the delivery guys carried it right up to the 2nd floor of my house.... and I hadn't even asked if they would. I was surprised since it was only supposed to be "threshold" delivery but the guy said that this set was really heavy for us to carry. How nice! smile.gif

I did check the serial number on the box and it said LFTRNXAPO400___ so it should be fine in that respect, I hope.

So, we need to get our mount installed and get this set up! Hope to do this before the end of the weekend.

Updated to say that it's on the wall! (and it wasn't so easy --- esp. that HDMI cord!) Picture looks pretty good, so fa. Haven't tweaked it all, yet. Holding our breath here.
post #1006 of 2640 Old 03-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey guys,

Amazon or Costco??

Amazon just lowered their price to $1598 (no tax), and Costco also lowered to $1549 (+local tax).

Where would you get from, and why?

Is the ease of returning to brick and mortar Costco worth the extra $100 I will spend if I get from Costco after paying taxes? Both are giving 2% back (I have the upgraded Costco membership). I'd get 2nd year warranty with both stores cos I'm using Amex. Or will Costco option give me a 3rd year via Amex?

Is warranty work easy to do with Amazon? Effort required to package TV, etc worth it?

I'm leaning towards Costco even

Sorry for any newb rules I may have broken ;-)

Thanks all..

Personally, I would go Costco, and I did. The amex card adds a 3rd year of warranty. Also, with all of the issues I had finding a good 55" vizio (about 3 years ago), I expected to have to look at 3 to 5 TV sets to find one I was happy with when getting this 701. Costco let me turn on the TV right in the warehouse and put up test patterns (HD709, from the AVS forum calibration area) to check for dead pixels, banding, etc. They made me pay for the TV prior to opening the box, and the first one I opened was fine (Yay!) but I did not want to have to haul it all the way home to know I was getting a good one. I had to bring a media player with me because I was not able to figure out how to get the built-in media player (on the 701) to play the mp4 files on my thumb drive. The remote codes (in my mx500 universal remote from the 55" vizio) did work the new 701.

Good luck with your adventure...

chris
post #1007 of 2640 Old 03-15-2013, 06:28 PM

I purchased this display last week. It's calibrated perfectly and is paired with a Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray player. I'll post more pictures this weekend of my humble system. I'm very happy I went with this unit, it looks very nice and is well priced for the performance.

post #1008 of 2640 Old 03-15-2013, 07:13 PM

My first post and I post in the wrong thread.

*sigh*
post #1009 of 2640 Old 03-15-2013, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Amazon's shippers DO NOT repack the TV. You need to do so. I know, I did this recently with my 70" Vizio.

That said, my purchase and return experience with Amazon were very good overall. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again, especially when I'm not already a member of Costco or Sams.
When I called Amazon requesting a pick up and replacement I was told that the delivery company would contact me shortly. When they did I asked them if they would re-pack the TV and they said that they were not supposed to do that. I called Amazon back and he told me that the contract Amazon has with all carriers for large TV's includes the deluxe delivery and most assuredly includes re-packing the TV. He said he would call them and have them call me back. An hour later they called and apologized and agreed that their contract did absolutely include re-packing the return TV. I had my new TV 5 days later delivered by the same company (Pilot).
post #1010 of 2640 Old 03-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

When I called Amazon requesting a pick up and replacement I was told that the delivery company would contact me shortly. When they did I asked them if they would re-pack the TV and they said that they were not supposed to do that. I called Amazon back and he told me that the contract Amazon has with all carriers for large TV's includes the deluxe delivery and most assuredly includes re-packing the TV. He said he would call them and have them call me back. An hour later they called and apologized and agreed that their contract did absolutely include re-packing the return TV. I had my new TV 5 days later delivered by the same company (Pilot).

Hey thanks for posting. I hadn't realized that.

Rick
post #1011 of 2640 Old 03-16-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Interesting. Good sleuthing.

Double True!
post #1012 of 2640 Old 03-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversion View Post

I bought my tv from Walmart.. and now it's $100 cheaper. Does anybody know if Walmart does a price adjustment within it's 90 day return period?

If not that would be stupid being I could just pack it up, return it and get my money back and re-purchase another at a lower price. It's in their best interest to refund the difference.
Sam's policy is 1 price adjustment within the 90 days, I just got monry back from them on my 42" I bought last December. I would think Walmarts would be the same being the same parent company.
post #1013 of 2640 Old 03-17-2013, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 91
Funny thing tonight .... my Vizio just Shut Off .... Out of nowhere the screen went black, looked at the power light for a couple seconds then the light went off.

The remote was no where near me either.

Anyone hear about this just randomly happening on this set?
post #1014 of 2640 Old 03-17-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Way to go BB. $400 off in today's ad.
post #1015 of 2640 Old 03-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

Funny thing tonight .... my Vizio just Shut Off .... Out of nowhere the screen went black, looked at the power light for a couple seconds then the light went off.

The remote was no where near me either.

Anyone hear about this just randomly happening on this set?

https://vizio.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/962/kw/special%20bulletin
post #1016 of 2640 Old 03-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the link on this but it sounds like what happened to me was different and I have a higher serial number.

Affected are serial from 45-47 .... Mine is a 51

Plus this says the video goes out but audio can be heard .... Mine didn't do that, my tv just turned off.

Sounds like this may have been something really weird and hopefully won;t happen again (this tv is going back next month anyway to wait for the m-series 70" so no biggie I suppose).

Thanks though for showing what it may have been.
post #1017 of 2640 Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Way to go BB. $400 off in today's ad.
Costco and Sam's are still cheaper at $1,500.....
post #1018 of 2640 Old 03-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

Thanks for the link on this but it sounds like what happened to me was different and I have a higher serial number.

Affected are serial from 45-47 .... Mine is a 51

Plus this says the video goes out but audio can be heard .... Mine didn't do that, my tv just turned off.

Sounds like this may have been something really weird and hopefully won;t happen again (this tv is going back next month anyway to wait for the m-series 70" so no biggie I suppose).

Thanks though for showing what it may have been.

Did it turn back on or is it dead?
post #1019 of 2640 Old 03-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by french_guy View Post

Costco and Sam's are still cheaper at $1,500.....

Sams lists it at 1548 and 1578 (with wall mount included)
post #1020 of 2640 Old 03-18-2013, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Did it turn back on or is it dead?

Ohh no it turned back on ... I mean I had to turn it back on but it's been fine since for tons of hours now.

Was just kinda weird ... I mean it literally just turned off ... like someone pressed the power button and that was it.

But it's fine now ... just that one time and that's all so far.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E701i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page