Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 2683 Old 03-31-2013, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have had great success using the ARC function over HDMI with the E60 and a Yamaha RX-V673.

No problem at all running the smart tv apps like netflix or amazon and using arc to get the audio back to the AVr.

It did take some playing around with settings in the AVR and TV menus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2683 Old 03-31-2013, 04:02 PM

Liked: 15
Thank you @wader2k!

pat----

post #1083 of 2683 Old 03-31-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psklenar View Post

Thank you @wader2k!

No problem..hope you get it working. I've been enjoying the convenience of Amazon movies in full DD 5.1 using ARC for some time.
post #1084 of 2683 Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 AM

Liked: 10
I have my Sony HT CT-150 plugged into HDMI-1 on my Vizio and it works great for me. Amazon Prime, Netflix, no problems.
post #1085 of 2683 Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Thank you very much @ArcAngel!

pat----

post #1086 of 2683 Old 04-02-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop1 View Post

Anything????? Or where to turn to?

post #1087 of 2683 Old 04-02-2013, 10:37 PM

Hi all, I have the Vizio e701 70" TV and I can't get the HDMI inputs to work. It says "no signal" no matter what I try (turning it on and off, removing power, etc.). I've noticed this is a common occurrence based on a google search and there are many proposed solutions, but is there a definitive one? Some suggest pressing the input button for a while, AFAI can see there are no buttons on the TV itself that can be used to control the TV and it works purely by remote? Thanks!
post #1088 of 2683 Old 04-02-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Are you using the inputs in the rear of the set as opposed to the ones on the side?
post #1089 of 2683 Old 04-02-2013, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramdom View Post

Hi all, I have the Vizio e701 70" TV and I can't get the HDMI inputs to work. It says "no signal" no matter what I try (turning it on and off, removing power, etc.). I've noticed this is a common occurrence based on a google search and there are many proposed solutions, but is there a definitive one? Some suggest pressing the input button for a while, AFAI can see there are no buttons on the TV itself that can be used to control the TV and it works purely by remote? Thanks!
There are physical buttons on the TV. When facing the TV, they are on the lower left side (edge) of the TV. Top down they are "Power", "Input", "Menu", "Channel up", "Channel Down", "Volume Up", "Volume Down". You should make sure you have a good HDMI cable first. Second connect it to a know good source (DVD, Cable Box etc). Try each of the 4 HDMI inputs. Good Luck.
post #1090 of 2683 Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramdom View Post

ramdom,
A stupid question but I have to ask it, Did you select HDMI 1, 2, 3, or4 by pressing the input button on the remote or in the input section of menu? It defaults to "TV" which is the Rf coaxial input.
post #1091 of 2683 Old 04-03-2013, 10:27 PM

Liked: 11
Just got a nice little check today and went to go check this TV out at Costco. I have been wanting a 65" for the LR and put the 55" in the bedroom. The price difference to 70" seems to be the sweet spot. Wanted to drive around today and look while deciding. I didn't see any boxes though but the TV was on display. I hope a Costco around us still carries the TV. The box for the next larger size Vizio was so heavy, I had to move it out of the way to get the 70" price.

I knew my fiances SUV would keep coming in handy until she gets a new car. I remember when I bought a 47" TV for my Mom and bringing that home in a 2seater convertible was comical.
post #1092 of 2683 Old 04-04-2013, 06:53 AM

I bought mine off of Amazon at the $1598 price point. It arrived yesterday and so far I'm extremely pleased with it. Can't find any imperfections in the screen aside from a bright spot on the lower right corner, but in scouring this thread it seems to be the status quo and I should just be glad I don't have a bright spot on the left side too? I'm so pleased with the VIA interface that I would probably move my ATV to the bedroom if not for airplay, just wish I could create a hot-key on the harmony to go straight to Hulu.
post #1093 of 2683 Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 AM

I've had mine for a week & a half so far and am quite pleased with it. I do plan to have Greg from LionAV come down and calibrate it for me on one of his summer tours (I was absolutely thrilled with his work on two prior TVs), but ... i AM very pleased with this TV.

pat----

post #1094 of 2683 Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psklenar View Post

Is anyone using HDMI ARC?

I do... I do...

I have all my sources (blu-ray, cable box, playstation3, vcr, & zune) running into my receiver (Sony STR-DN1030) with a single HDMI output to my Vizio on the ARC. I can watch/listen to anything on the Vizio with the receiver on or off... tho occasionally, I'll have to turn the receiver on, switch to the desired input (to get a signal to the tv), then turn it back off to listen via the tv speakers only. When streaming Netflix, I use the tv instead of the blu-ray player... the ARC supplies a high-def 5.1 signal SOME movies) to my receiver.

Overall, I've been extremely happy with the Vizio for the past 2 months. Picture quality is great... features are great... internal speakers are mediocre, but that's to be expected. Bought it at Sam's Club right before the Super Bowl for $1548. Tho a 60" model would've been more than sufficient, am glad I sprang for the 70". Probably the only downside is that the purchase started me down a slippery slope. After the tv came the new blu-ray player (first Panasonic, returned for a Sony)... then the new wall mount (Kanto)... then the new surround receiver (Sony)... then more speakers (Infinity Primus- went to 7.1 surround)... then the playstation 3... and finally, the universal remote (touchsquid). Ka-ching... So much for my tax refund... and THEN SOME!
post #1095 of 2683 Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM

@slick61 - thank you very much. Based on the several replies, the Vizio *IS* sending ARC out, so it's likely a setup issue on my PrePro side. I've got a tech support case open with them, so hopefully we can figure this out soon.

pat----

post #1096 of 2683 Old 04-04-2013, 10:06 AM

Some tips.....arc setup can be picky about the specific order of enabling in the avr and tv. My AVR had specific instructions for what order to do all this. It involve hdmi control settings too.
I am sure you already know that it is has to be a specific hdmi port on both the tv and avr for arc.

Good luck!
post #1097 of 2683 Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 AM

@wader2k - Thank you! Yep, it's connected to HDMI1 on the Vizio and HDMI OUT/ARC on the pre-pro.

pat----

post #1098 of 2683 Old 04-04-2013, 06:12 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoB View Post

Using the WOW disc had no effect on fixing the white spots. I contacted Vizio and they are sending out a new unit. This company is really on the ball. They could have easily told me to return it to the store. Excellent experience with their customer support.
Replacement set arrived today, no white spots in the bottom corners. Watching MegaMind on bluray and picture looks great, but then for the most part my other set had a great picture. First thing I checked was the firmware and this set came with 1.1.7. Anybody on 1.1.7 or are the majority on 1.1.5?
post #1099 of 2683 Old 04-04-2013, 06:16 PM

1.1.5 on my week and a half old TV.

pat----

post #1100 of 2683 Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 AM

i've had mine for a little over a month now, and i'm definitely impressed with this tv. firmware updated when i first turned it on, but it's stayed at 1.1.5 since then. i definitely agree with all the comments here reporting that the image quality improved markedly with time. my set also had horrible stutter at the beginning, so much that i considered returning it, but that too is now gone. i've got it set up with the cnet settings.

so far i only have 3 complaints [only 2 of which are directed at vizio]:

1. usb drive must be formatted to fat32. this means you can't have a file over 4.3gig. how many full length 1080p [or even 720p] movies are less than 4.3gig. none. means the usb drive is largely useless for full length movies at any decent resolution. fat32 was released in 1996. the fact that we're still using it is a travesty.

2. the dlna client is severely limited. anything i can play from usb i should be able to play over dlna, but that isn't the case. usb has thus far been able to play anything i've thrown at it. dlna has been able to play only one thing i've ever thrown at it, and it looked terrible. if this was fixed, i wouldn't need the usb drive mentioned in point 1.

3. i'm surprised at the lack of 5.1 channel content on netflix. i can watch the original season of star trek in dd5.1, but many movies that have come out in the last two years are only two channel. this obviously isn't a vizio issue, but it's something that i was a little disappointed with, and since lots of folks might consider this tv for its built in netflix app, i think it's relevant to this list.
post #1101 of 2683 Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeefreak View Post

2. the dlna client is severely limited. anything i can play from usb i should be able to play over dlna, but that isn't the case. usb has thus far been able to play anything i've thrown at it. dlna has been able to play only one thing i've ever thrown at it, and it looked terrible. if this was fixed, i wouldn't need the usb drive mentioned in point 1.
I have had nothing but problems trying to use DLNA on this set. Mainly, and I've only tried with my library which is quite large, it's just soooo slow to try to navigate through. And then when you do find what you want to play it constantly stutters trying to play it. Pretty much useless for me. I've tried both Serviio and Plex with no success (TV is using WiFi).
I have zero issues with DLNA through my Sony Bluray player, which is also Wifi. So for now, I just have my PC hooked directly into the Vizio and watch my movies that way.

I haven't played around with it since getting the new set with firmware 1.1.7 on it. I'll give it another go over the weekend and see if things have improved.
post #1102 of 2683 Old 04-05-2013, 04:15 PM

Just got back from Costco and got the extra warranty. Some nice random stranger helped me take the top box off the pile. It was interesting lifting into the Toyota Highlander. Just barely fits with the seats folded down. Started unpacking and can't find any screw drivers to mount this to the wall! I have a monoprice wall mount. Can't wait to watch some TV tonight.

edit: Found the screwdriver to get behind my wall mount to secure everything. I have no idea how I mounted this on the wall by myself. But its in. Can't wait to fiddle around with the settings. Very excited to watch the Lakers game in a couple of hours as my first test run. I am using the larger monoprice wall mount and have 5 of the 6 bolts in the wall and everything seems pretty secure so far. The 55" LG I am replacing was a lot lighter.

The setup was really simple. The keyboard remote is a nice touch along with wifi being in the TV instead of those stupid USB sticks. Now since I am using a Harmony Link with IR sensor in another room to control everything, where is the IR sensor located on the TV?

Costco had 3 left when I checked out. You get a lot of stares as you walk out of there with the wall as one of the workers called the TV.
post #1103 of 2683 Old 04-05-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 226
First thing should be using one of the set ups here on this thread.
post #1104 of 2683 Old 04-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

@travanx -- yeah ... The Wall .. funny
We got two -- TWO of these on black friday .. imagine the stares we got all the way to the van !
post #1105 of 2683 Old 04-05-2013, 07:03 PM

@travanx - You mounted it ALONE!? Yikes! redface.gif Anyhow, the sensor is in the lower left front of the frame. I've been watching the NCAA Men's & Women's Tournaments and it's just been a blast on this ... "wall"! smile.gif Enjoy!

pat----

post #1106 of 2683 Old 04-06-2013, 12:49 AM

Yeah now my body is paying the price for being so sore. So I tried using the CNET settings and the picture seems better than out of the box. But something still seems off. My girl said that the out of the box settings looked muggy to her. Are there better settings to try out?
post #1107 of 2683 Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 AM

I purchased this TV last Saturday. It's up on the wall and being fed by a cat5 over HDMI adapter. The only cable in the wall was a single cat5e so that's what I went with. I noticed last night while watching the credits for Cowboys VS Aliens that I was getting some streaking and strange lines from the scrolling credits. This was mostly on the right side of the panel the left side exhibited some of the same things but not as bad. Today while watching Fox soccer in HD I was having some mirage effects around the players and on the field.

I beginning to think that my HDMI adapter might not be up to the task. Before I start cutting holes in the walls to pull some new cables is there any TV settings I can try?

Is it possible that it's the panel?
post #1108 of 2683 Old 04-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord66 View Post

I purchased this TV last Saturday. It's up on the wall and being fed by a cat5 over HDMI adapter. The only cable in the wall was a single cat5e so that's what I went with. I noticed last night while watching the credits for Cowboys VS Aliens that I was getting some streaking and strange lines from the scrolling credits. This was mostly on the right side of the panel the left side exhibited some of the same things but not as bad. Today while watching Fox soccer in HD I was having some mirage effects around the players and on the field.

I beginning to think that my HDMI adapter might not be up to the task. Before I start cutting holes in the walls to pull some new cables is there any TV settings I can try?

Is it possible that it's the panel?
Try running HDMI directly from the cable box or a Blu ray player first to see if that does it before you tear into the wall.
post #1109 of 2683 Old 04-06-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Try running HDMI directly from the cable box or a Blu ray player first to see if that does it before you tear into the wall.

Exactly what I was about to post.

pat----

post #1110 of 2683 Old 04-06-2013, 09:20 AM

Where is the adventure in that. smile.gif

I'll give it a try later today and see what happens.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E701i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page