Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 2557 Old 05-10-2013, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchain View Post

Thanks Andy, appreciate your response. . Yep my timing has never been that good...lol.

Costco is now selling the 2013 model LC-70e650u (Costco/SamsClub equiv model number is 6500u) From what I can tell its the same as last years 640u only with a dual core processor plus a couple more apps. I may exchange my Vizio E701-s3 for this one just for comparison sake. That would buy me 90 more days... any thoughts on this Sharp or last years version? Other than the other problems everyone else is having, I can't stand the viewing angle sensitivity of the Vizio. Wondering if the Sharps are any better.

FWIW the viewing angle is much more forgiving on my 60-in Sharp. Though, I seem to recall reading that the panels in the Vizio were manufactured by Sharp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2557 Old 05-12-2013, 05:00 PM

Liked: 13
Well, I submitted a service request to tech support a few minutes ago about the pink hue to the left and right of center. We will see how it is resolved. I hate to be a stickler about it because so much of my viewing is not on a white screen. BUT As soon as something like a hockey game is on the tv, this horrible defect makes me miserable.
post #1173 of 2557 Old 05-12-2013, 06:48 PM

Liked: 10
So I spent much of the day checking out different stores and viewing environments comparing the Vizio e701-a3 vs the Sharp LC-70le650u.

From what I could tell the Sharp had an ever-so slightly better (albeit barely discernible) off-axis viewing experience. Keep in mind that the backlight level settings affect this perception drastically so I had played with the settings on both units to compare apples to apples.

The next thing I noticed is that the Vizio (in my amateur opinion) had a more natural color representation while the sharp seemed more overstated and unnaturally bright. I had played with the settings on the Sharp to tune this down, and it did look good, but it still was apparent. The Sharp's color was punchier, and a little more "exciting" but to me this made it look more cartoonish and unrealistic at times. The employees at the store were getting nervous with me changing all the settings over the course of an hour....lol.

I also noticed in two of the stores I checked out, that the Sharp had some of the same issues as the Vizio around the corners and bottom bezel areas where light is not cast or distributed evenly, only evident on solid color or white screens. I'm sure this is problematic to the Edge-Lit technology itself and there is most likely variances in the manufacturing process for each line, so I don't think the problems I have with my Vizio having this are exclusive to Vizio.

So after comparing these two comparable units, I walk away feeling like the Vizio is still a better choice for my tastes, especially given the fact I paid $1489 for it on black friday, while the lowest I could find the Sharp was for $400 or so more. Current price on the Vizio is still $200 cheaper than the Sharp. In the end if I am going to keep a 70 inch LED TV around $1500-$1900, I would keep the Vizio e701-a3.

However, that brings me to revisit the next question: Should I keep the LED or just downsize to a 65" plasma?

I prefer plasma any day of the week in the right environment. But alas, my living room has a lot of light streaming in opposite and to the side of the screen. My blinds do cut it down a bit, but they certainly do not black out the sun. smile.gif Sunday afternoon football is a priority for me. That is why I decided to go LED with the matte screen to begin with, and the e701 fit the bill just fine, with a large screen size to boot on this point.

So I began to look at plasmas all over again. I noticed that 2013 Panasonics have gotten some good reviews, and there's one 65 incher that is in the same budget I'm looking at. It's the Panasonic TC-P65S60 (referred to hereafter as S60). Its a 65 incher under $1500. It does not have 3d or some of the other bells and whistles I would never use. Seems like a good deal to me but I was worried about the glare issue being a plasma....sure enough it does not have the AR filtering the higher end Panasonics have. I then discovered that Sams Club and Costco have a special arrangement with Panasonic in that they are selling a special limited stock version TC-65PS64 (referred to hereafter as S64) which is identical to the S60, but has the AR filtering found on the ST and high-end VT series plasmas. Very cool! Of course this means I had to go to a bunch of stores AGAIN today and compare the S60 to the ST60 and see if the AR filtering would make that much of a difference side by side. To make this short, I believe it definitely does make a difference, although it still will not be as diffusing as an LED matte screen.

However, I think my strategy right now is to return my Vizio e701-a3 back to costco, for a $1489 refund and turn around and buy the Panasonic 65" S64 for $1399. I think it's worth a shot, and at this price I don't think it can be beat. I will miss the extra 5 inches though.

Sorry for the crazy long post, but what do you guys think, should I return the 70" LED Vizio e701-a3 for the 65" Plasma Panasonic TC-65PS64? smile.gif
post #1174 of 2557 Old 05-12-2013, 08:07 PM

I went through the same personal battle. At the end, I stuck with the vizio. Most of my viewing is done in bright light. I couldnt justify the glossy screen.
post #1175 of 2557 Old 05-14-2013, 02:02 PM

A bunch of you have mentioned using pip function. Can you use to hdmi sources to switch between?
thx in advance
If not can you recommend a tv w/ that feature? iwant to watch dishy network and my computer at the same time.biggrin.gif
post #1176 of 2557 Old 05-14-2013, 04:14 PM

Liked: 19
Just checked mine, with one set as HDMI, the options for the other are TV, Comp/AV and RGB/Comp. So looks like no dual HDMI watching.
post #1177 of 2557 Old 05-16-2013, 08:29 PM

Im having jitter problems with mine any suggestions !!
post #1178 of 2557 Old 05-17-2013, 02:24 AM

Under Advanced Picture Settings, turn everything off, except leave Film Mode on Auto.
post #1179 of 2557 Old 05-18-2013, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am trying to find a longer power cable but cant identify the type of end on this vizio. Anyone had any luck replacing theirs or info on type of cable?
post #1180 of 2557 Old 05-19-2013, 03:18 AM

I have not replaced mine, but what you'll want to look for is a polarized power cord. I wasn't able to find anything bigger than 6' with a quick search on Amazon. I was using my phone so I didn't search very hard.
post #1181 of 2557 Old 05-19-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoB View Post

I have not replaced mine, but what you'll want to look for is a polarized power cord. I wasn't able to find anything bigger than 6' with a quick search on Amazon. I was using my phone so I didn't search very hard.

Thanks for the info NachoB! So far it seems everything over 6' is un-polarized...Gonna keep searching.
post #1182 of 2557 Old 05-19-2013, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
try monoprice.com
post #1183 of 2557 Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 AM

I bought a 15 foot power cord with polarized plugs (at both ends from Stayonline.com. The shipping was $12 and change for a $9 cord. It works like a charm.

Sku: 3645
Name: PowerFig PF11518C7P180SPT2 AC Power Cord NEMA 1-15 Plug to IEC 60320 C7 Connector Polarized 15 Feet 10a/125v 18/2 SPT-2
Unit Price: $9.00

Jack
post #1184 of 2557 Old 05-20-2013, 06:06 PM

Thank you Jack, mines on the way! Loving this TV so far, no issues at all.
Sold a Panny ST50 to get it no regrets.
post #1185 of 2557 Old 05-21-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchain View Post

So I spent much of the day checking out different stores and viewing environments comparing the Vizio e701-a3 vs the Sharp LC-70le650u.

From what I could tell the Sharp had an ever-so slightly better (albeit barely discernible) off-axis viewing experience. Keep in mind that the backlight level settings affect this perception drastically so I had played with the settings on both units to compare apples to apples.

The next thing I noticed is that the Vizio (in my amateur opinion) had a more natural color representation while the sharp seemed more overstated and unnaturally bright. I had played with the settings on the Sharp to tune this down, and it did look good, but it still was apparent. The Sharp's color was punchier, and a little more "exciting" but to me this made it look more cartoonish and unrealistic at times. The employees at the store were getting nervous with me changing all the settings over the course of an hour....lol.

I also noticed in two of the stores I checked out, that the Sharp had some of the same issues as the Vizio around the corners and bottom bezel areas where light is not cast or distributed evenly, only evident on solid color or white screens. I'm sure this is problematic to the Edge-Lit technology itself and there is most likely variances in the manufacturing process for each line, so I don't think the problems I have with my Vizio having this are exclusive to Vizio.

So after comparing these two comparable units, I walk away feeling like the Vizio is still a better choice for my tastes, especially given the fact I paid $1489 for it on black friday, while the lowest I could find the Sharp was for $400 or so more. Current price on the Vizio is still $200 cheaper than the Sharp. In the end if I am going to keep a 70 inch LED TV around $1500-$1900, I would keep the Vizio e701-a3.

However, that brings me to revisit the next question: Should I keep the LED or just downsize to a 65" plasma?

I prefer plasma any day of the week in the right environment. But alas, my living room has a lot of light streaming in opposite and to the side of the screen. My blinds do cut it down a bit, but they certainly do not black out the sun. smile.gif Sunday afternoon football is a priority for me. That is why I decided to go LED with the matte screen to begin with, and the e701 fit the bill just fine, with a large screen size to boot on this point.

So I began to look at plasmas all over again. I noticed that 2013 Panasonics have gotten some good reviews, and there's one 65 incher that is in the same budget I'm looking at. It's the Panasonic TC-P65S60 (referred to hereafter as S60). Its a 65 incher under $1500. It does not have 3d or some of the other bells and whistles I would never use. Seems like a good deal to me but I was worried about the glare issue being a plasma....sure enough it does not have the AR filtering the higher end Panasonics have. I then discovered that Sams Club and Costco have a special arrangement with Panasonic in that they are selling a special limited stock version TC-65PS64 (referred to hereafter as S64) which is identical to the S60, but has the AR filtering found on the ST and high-end VT series plasmas. Very cool! Of course this means I had to go to a bunch of stores AGAIN today and compare the S60 to the ST60 and see if the AR filtering would make that much of a difference side by side. To make this short, I believe it definitely does make a difference, although it still will not be as diffusing as an LED matte screen.

However, I think my strategy right now is to return my Vizio e701-a3 back to costco, for a $1489 refund and turn around and buy the Panasonic 65" S64 for $1399. I think it's worth a shot, and at this price I don't think it can be beat. I will miss the extra 5 inches though.

Sorry for the crazy long post, but what do you guys think, should I return the 70" LED Vizio e701-a3 for the 65" Plasma Panasonic TC-65PS64? smile.gif

I just purchased last week and am loving it.... just out of the box, no tweaking and it is looking good. One question, I have been searching for picture setting and have seen several forums where people have picked up this tv for $1489 from Costco. I just purchased mine from Costco in Ohio for $1679 and the price on Costco.com is also $1679. What Costco did you get yours at for $1489?
post #1186 of 2557 Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 AM

[quote name="chain" What Costco did you get yours at for $1489?[/quote]

The Costco store I purchased it from was in Pewaukee, Wisconsin just west of Milwaukee. I bought it on Black Frday 2012 when the TV first launched. I have never seen this TV priced that low since then. Glad you got a good unit with no problems!
post #1187 of 2557 Old 05-21-2013, 10:57 AM

Okay ... I bought my E701I-A3 back in early March. I applied the modified CNET settings that someone had posted on here back in January or February and was pretty pleased with it. I've not noticed the "stains" or "blobs" that some have. I've not noticed "flashlighting". Not to say these defects aren't here, just that I haven't noticed them. I've had a couple months of really being happy with my purchase ... no buyers remorse at all.

Last Thursday, I had Gregg Loewen (http://lionav.com/new/) down to calibrate it. I'm no longer happy with this TV ... I LOVE it! I've had Gregg work on another TV of mine some years ago and therefore had no worries about whether I'd see a benefit. He really does great work. But both he and I were surprised by just how well he was able to calibrate this TV! I'd never claim it's reference quality or anything like that, but ... he was really able to zero in the greyscale (from an average dE of 4.3 down to an average dE of 0.7)! Which is well under what's typically considered normally indistinguishable to the human eye.

In terms of color, the RGB histogram shows improvement across the board. The panel appears to have a bit of Blue Push (avg %'s before: R 94.6, G 101.1, B 105.3) that he was able to tame rather nicely (R 100.1, G 100.0, B 99.8). He was able to improve the Chroma performance in comparison to "Reference" from an avg dE of 7.0 down to an avg dE of 2.5. Chroma Lightness, Saturation & Hue errors were noticeably reduced (dramatically in the case of Magenta from +32.8% to -2.4%!). And finally the Gamma chart line went from a dramatic uphill slope (from low gamma 1.6 at 10% input to high gamma 2.2 at 90% input) to a line that while not perfectly level, is level within 0.1 gamma end to end.

So it's not a reference level display. But ... it's DAMN nice! Gregg was impressed with the results he was able to achieve given the "relatively" low end TV compared to the higher end Panasonic VT's he often sees. Which just confirms ... the E701I-A3 definitely scores good and high on the "Bang for the Buck" scale. smile.gif
lorenzeami likes this.

pat----

post #1188 of 2557 Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 AM

Well, it's not $1498 but Amazon finally dropped back to $1598 today so I ordered one. Can't wait.
post #1189 of 2557 Old 05-22-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekipper View Post

Well, it's not $1498 but Amazon finally dropped back to $1598 today so I ordered one. Can't wait.

That's a good price. I got lucky with mine at $1489 but then again I had to become a member at Costco which cost me another $50, so your $1598 isn't that much more than what I paid. Actually to put it in perspective I paid about $2600 for a 40 inch Mitsubishi tube TV 17 years ago so I'm not complaining at all with these prices today! Hope you enjoy it!
post #1190 of 2557 Old 05-22-2013, 01:06 PM

Costco just went to 1579 today. I bought mine yesterday at 1679. I'll go back and invoke the price guarantee.

I'm happy with it so far. No apparent issues. I have it hooked up to an HTPC. At first, there was a 250-500ms lag on my mouse, but that went away after I turned on Game Mode. Text was artifact'ed until I turned off sharpness. It's looking good on my BDI stand. You can't see it now, but I have a Antec Halo 6 LED Bias Lighting Kit on the back, which really helps at night. I have it plugged into the USB port. It turns off with the TV, but strangely turns on randomly. Maybe if I turned off WiFi it'll stop, as it may be waking to download.

I replaced a 67" Samsung DLP, mainly because of its poor performance in daylight.

Has anyone tried calibrating with a Huey Pro? I wonder how it would work with pixels this big.

post #1191 of 2557 Old 05-23-2013, 04:57 AM

Wow! I'm on "The Big Screen"! biggrin.gif

pat----

post #1192 of 2557 Old 05-23-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhehd View Post

Costco just went to 1579 today. I bought mine yesterday at 1679. I'll go back and invoke the price guarantee.

I'm happy with it so far. No apparent issues. I have it hooked up to an HTPC. At first, there was a 250-500ms lag on my mouse, but that went away after I turned on Game Mode. Text was artifact'ed until I turned off sharpness. It's looking good on my BDI stand. You can't see it now, but I have a Antec Halo 6 LED Bias Lighting Kit on the back, which really helps at night. I have it plugged into the USB port. It turns off with the TV, but strangely turns on randomly. Maybe if I turned off WiFi it'll stop, as it may be waking to download.

I replaced a 67" Samsung DLP, mainly because of its poor performance in daylight.

Has anyone tried calibrating with a Huey Pro? I wonder how it would work with pixels this big.

The Huey just draws a large area of color for each calibration point. The pixel size will not matter so much, IMO.
post #1193 of 2557 Old 05-24-2013, 10:19 AM

Hi,
TV is delivering today so I'm readily accepting any tips on setup. My main concern is getting ARC working with my Yamaha RX-V673:)

Can't wait to try some of the settings in this thread.

Thanks!
post #1194 of 2557 Old 05-24-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekipper View Post

... My main concern is getting ARC working with my Yamaha RX-V673:) ...

Here are the instructions for turning it on on the TV. I can't find these instructions in the manual (neither printed, nor the "on TV version").

https://vizio.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/571

Enjoy!

pat----

post #1195 of 2557 Old 05-24-2013, 10:32 AM

Sweet! Thank you for the link...I'm so excited:) We used to have an Infocus X-1 projector and my wife hated having to fiddle with so many remotes that even she is happy about getting this tv, lol.
post #1196 of 2557 Old 05-24-2013, 11:58 AM

Do people with the 1.1.7 firmware still have the audio dropout issue? At last check, I still had 1.1.5. I see that this page is updated as of 5/9, but does not list a version number. Is there something newer?

It happens so often it's almost ignorable, except when it's not (like during some dialog I want to hear).

post #1197 of 2557 Old 05-24-2013, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Can someone pleas e answer this question ASAP.

I bought a 70" sharp led and a soundbar.....the sharp using the optical audio out will only output audio through HDMI1.....2 and 3 will not output audio thru optical at all only tv speakers which is a big deal....on top of that every time u turn on this tv you have to go into menu and tell it to output to optical so that is a huge dealbreaker.

I want to take it back for this vizeo tomorrow...does anyone know if this is a problem on this tv or will all 4 hdmi output sound to my soundbar?

thanks
post #1198 of 2557 Old 05-25-2013, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhehd View Post

Hey - what is the part number of your BDI stand? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1199 of 2557 Old 05-25-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibasnatch View Post

Can someone pleas e answer this question ASAP.

I bought a 70" sharp led and a soundbar.....the sharp using the optical audio out will only output audio through HDMI1.....2 and 3 will not output audio thru optical at all only tv speakers which is a big deal....on top of that every time u turn on this tv you have to go into menu and tell it to output to optical so that is a huge dealbreaker.

I want to take it back for this vizeo tomorrow...does anyone know if this is a problem on this tv or will all 4 hdmi output sound to my soundbar?

thanks

Did you by chance take a look at the instructions for the soundbar? Seems like a big hassle to return a tv because of a sound bar issue. Would you please tell us the part number and vendor of the soundbar?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1200 of 2557 Old 05-25-2013, 06:39 AM

My vizio soundbar works on all my hdmi inputs using the optical connction from the tv
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E701i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page