Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread

LCD Flat Panel Displays

Air Supply's Avatar Air Supply
11:00 AM Liked: 11
post #1261 of 2687
06-10-2013 | Posts: 901
I have a question. How can I get HBO GO working on this TV? I'd also like to get the EPIX and CINEMAX app working too

and I got mine over the weekend and had it mounted... Woot!

20130608_195846.jpg 2608k .jpg file
Attached: 20130608_195846.jpg (2.55 MB) 
wope's Avatar wope
03:34 PM Liked: 12
post #1262 of 2687
06-10-2013 | Posts: 24
Did anyone order theirs from Amazon? Seriously considering it due to no tax/free delivery. How is their customer service if you have an issue?
03:44 PM Liked: 11
post #1263 of 2687
Quote:
Originally Posted by wope View Post

Did anyone order theirs from Amazon? Seriously considering it due to no tax/free delivery. How is their customer service if you have an issue?

I ordered mine last week from Amazon. Got it in 3 days.

You can't beat no tax. My total was the listed price, $1598.
deadringer28's Avatar deadringer28
05:13 PM Liked: 10
post #1264 of 2687
06-10-2013 | Posts: 28
I am having problems with the "Web Videos" App anyone else experiencing this and is there a better fix than reset all settings. i am just starting to love the color and settings I have adjusted and really don't want to mess with it for this app.

TV is connect under the network settings and I am using wired connection
mp06011999's Avatar mp06011999
05:55 PM Liked: 40
post #1265 of 2687
06-10-2013 | Posts: 471
I've had some problems with both Netflix and the webvideo apps. They are also the only 2 I've used. I'm hard wired to the router too. I think they just used/made crap apps. I kept getting kicked outta Netflix all weekend. Annoying!

You could always do what I did though. You go and buy the D-Link Movie Nite at Walmart (40 bucks). Hook that up to your non-smart tv for about 3 months for access to Netflix. And after fiddle fartin around with that piece of junk to no avail, you'll be able to tolerate Vizio's crappy app on this tv. biggrin.gif

In all seriousness, I'm just hoping they fix it in an update at some point.
06:01 PM Liked: 11
post #1266 of 2687
Can you not download other apps?

Is there anyway to use a web browser with this TV?
06:12 PM Liked: 40
post #1267 of 2687
06-10-2013 | Posts: 471
I ordered from Amazon and got it about a week ago. It took about a week in "processing" and then pretty fast getting here - about 4 days.

I like Amazon for almost everything (low prices & easy shopping). That is until the first of the year when they're gonna start charging tax in my state (NV). That's gonna suck. No doubt my purchases will drop way off. Oh, and our sales tax is supposed to go up too. 8.1% in Vegas just isn't enough, I guess. Anyhow....

I got a 5% bonus from Turbo Tax having my refund deposited to Amazon. If it weren't for that (basically getting 5% off Amazon's price on this tv) I probably would have purchased it locally. "Probably", I say because I do like the longer return window with Sams.

Figure what $ your saving and if it's worth it to you. For me, I had to save at least $100....and I did.

Btw, for me: Sams=1702. Amazon=1518
06:28 PM Liked: 10
post #1268 of 2687
06-10-2013 | Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post

I've had some problems with both Netflix and the webvideo apps. They are also the only 2 I've used. I'm hard wired to the router too. I think they just used/made crap apps. I kept getting kicked outta Netflix all weekend. Annoying!

You could always do what I did though. You go and buy the D-Link Movie Nite at Walmart (40 bucks). Hook that up to your non-smart tv for about 3 months for access to Netflix. And after fiddle fartin around with that piece of junk to no avail, you'll be able to tolerate Vizio's crappy app on this tv. biggrin.gif

In all seriousness, I'm just hoping they fix it in an update at some point.

Okay so this was really weird. I did a network connection test and it showed that I was connected but it was pretty slow. I looked at the network settings and it had me using DHCP so I turned that off. I also noticed that it was trying to use my local router for DNS so I changed that to the public 8.8.8.8 after that my speed on the connection test tripled and all of my apps are working. Hopefully this will work for you.

I also have a PS3 in the same room but my kids have gotten used to using the netflix button on the remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Supply View Post

Can you not download other apps?

Is there anyway to use a web browser with this TV?

There is no web browser from Vizio at this time. I sure wish they would put one in there. I am thinking of getting a cheap PC like under 200 bucks to do this and also have a media server directly connected through HDMI vs streaming over my network.
wope's Avatar wope
10:06 AM Liked: 12
post #1269 of 2687
06-11-2013 | Posts: 24
Quote:

I ordered mine last week from Amazon. Got it in 3 days.

You can't beat no tax. My total was the listed price, $1598.

Just curious, since you got it so fast... did you have to schedule your delivery when you checked out? Are you saying you got it before your scheduled date? When I put in my zip, nothing is open until middle of next week, and no weekends.
10:23 AM Liked: 11
post #1270 of 2687
06-11-2013 | Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by wope View Post

Just curious, since you got it so fast... did you have to schedule your delivery when you checked out? Are you saying you got it before your scheduled date? When I put in my zip, nothing is open until middle of next week, and no weekends.

Yeah, it was faster for me if I scheduled it than if I let them pick a date. It also depends what part of the country your living in too. I wasn't too far away from where it shipped.

I got it the same day it told me I would...
NachoB's Avatar NachoB
11:34 AM Liked: 19
post #1271 of 2687
06-11-2013 | Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

I have very slight flashlighting in a couple spots in my E701i at the bottom of the screen every since day 1, never bothered me, only noticable on all white screen like when when watching hockey. Noticed 2 white dots at the top (about an inch from bottom of screen ) a week ago. tonight I noticed 2 more about 6 inches directly above the 1st 2 (total of 4 now). Guess I'll have to call Vizio. It's only noticeable while watching a white screen, colors OK. I've had this since February but I don't like this
Referring to my post HERE, Vizio replaced my set for these "spots". New set was delivered and the old set hauled away by the delivery company.
11:31 AM Liked: 40
post #1272 of 2687
06-12-2013 | Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadringer28 View Post

Okay so this was really weird. I did a network connection test and it showed that I was connected but it was pretty slow. I looked at the network settings and it had me using DHCP so I turned that off. I also noticed that it was trying to use my local router for DNS so I changed that to the public 8.8.8.8 after that my speed on the connection test tripled and all of my apps are working. Hopefully this will work for you....

Well, last night again at around 8PM Netflix would NOT stay connected. It would just kick us out either unexpectedly or after it would pause to "load" on it's own. I even connected it directly to the modem via a cat5e - taking the Apple router out of the equation. All other devices have zero issues with Netflix. I tried deadringer's settings, but it didn't help. Netflix was unwatchable on the Vizio. So I called Vizio today and here's what they had me do:

* Turn DHCP "off"
* Change last number in IP Address to "9"
* Change Pref. DNS to "4.2.2.1"
* Change Alt. DNS to "4.2.2.2"

So far so good. I even played several webvideos with no issues.... But I've been here before. We'll see. If they can't get this tv to stay connected I'm afraid I'll have to return it. I bought a "smart" tv primarily for Neflix. So far this tv is "dumb". biggrin.gif

FWIW, I spent the entire day yesterday running Cat5e through the house (walls, attic, etc.). I really want this tv to work. My speeds, as listed by the Vizio's speed test, are much much better than what I would get wireless and the picture is really nice.
And if you have A.D.D., this watching Netflix 15 seconds at a time is just perfect. lol
2L84U's Avatar 2L84U
04:36 PM Liked: 10
post #1273 of 2687
06-12-2013 | Posts: 10
I bought this TV last week and had it delivered today. Loving it so far, but there are a couple things bugging me.

When playing files with the Media app, DLNA specifically, I'm not able to change any picture settings. I can change the backlight, but that's it. Everything else is greyed out. Any way around this?

Also with DLNA, is there any way to resume playback for an in-progress video? I've tried several DLNA servers, all of which support that, but it just doesn't happen. It always starts from the beginning.

Edit: I guess the Media app just sucks. I snagged a Roku 3, which has a PLEX app, and it works great.
Razman's Avatar Razman
05:13 PM Liked: 16
post #1274 of 2687
06-12-2013 | Posts: 42
I purchased my 70" E Series about three weeks ago from Sams Club. The Vizio is replacing a Pioneer 8G Kuro 50". I spent two days with the tvs side by side and i calibrated the Vizio as close as possible to match the Pioneer. I will post the settings below. The Vizio did very well with color, contrast etc. This set is a keeper and i do not regret or feel i am sacrificing any picture quality by moving the Kuro to the bedroom.

Picture Mode Standard
Backlight 80
Brightness 38
Contrast 90
Color 60
Tint -4
Sharpness 6

Color Temperture Normal
Factory

Smooth Motion Effect Off
Noise Off
Mpeg Off
Color Enhancment Off
Adaptive Luma Low
Film Mode Auto
Backlight Control Off
Ambient Light Sensor High

I use these settings for day and night viewing. The light sensor automatically adjusts the backlight.
If anyone has any questions please ask. FYI ESPN has stopped 3D broadcasting. I believe 3D is on its way out.
05:22 PM Liked: 10
post #1275 of 2687
06-13-2013 | Posts: 28
Quote:

Well, last night again at around 8PM Netflix would NOT stay connected. It would just kick us out either unexpectedly or after it would pause to "load" on it's own. I even connected it directly to the modem via a cat5e - taking the Apple router out of the equation. All other devices have zero issues with Netflix. I tried deadringer's settings, but it didn't help. Netflix was unwatchable on the Vizio. So I called Vizio today and here's what they had me do:

* Turn DHCP "off"
* Change last number in IP Address to "9"
* Change Pref. DNS to "4.2.2.1"
* Change Alt. DNS to "4.2.2.2"

So far so good. I even played several webvideos with no issues.... But I've been here before. We'll see. If they can't get this tv to stay connected I'm afraid I'll have to return it. I bought a "smart" tv primarily for Neflix. So far this tv is "dumb". biggrin.gif

FWIW, I spent the entire day yesterday running Cat5e through the house (walls, attic, etc.). I really want this tv to work. My speeds, as listed by the Vizio's speed test, are much much better than what I would get wireless and the picture is really nice.
And if you have A.D.D., this watching Netflix 15 seconds at a time is just perfect. lol

Wow I am again having issues with the network and this time I can confirm that it is not any of the apps but all connectivity as a whole. Even though it shows me as connected testing fails. I then unplug the Cat 5 cable and wait a minute plug it back it and I can then connect. i am not going to do this every day though. I am not sure why making this device .9 or those specific DNS settings will keep it connected but I am willing to give it a shot. I will see if I can stay connected longer than a few days and report back.
05:48 PM Liked: 40
post #1276 of 2687
06-13-2013 | Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadringer28 View Post

Wow I am again having issues with the network and this time I can confirm that it is not any of the apps but all connectivity as a whole. Even though it shows me as connected testing fails. I then unplug the Cat 5 cable and wait a minute plug it back it and I can then connect. i am not going to do this every day though. I am not sure why making this device .9 or those specific DNS settings will keep it connected but I am willing to give it a shot. I will see if I can stay connected longer than a few days and report back.

Yea please do. I'm obviously still testing it. Last night was almost perfect. We watched Netflix for like 3 hours and in the last hour the entire tv just froze. I had to hold down the power button on the tv set and get back into Netflix. The connection test continually showed around 6500kbs and the picture was just amazing for Netflix (I did a very long calibration earlier in the day with my "Disney Wow" Bluray). That's the the first time the tv ever froze up completely and not at all like it was doing before from slow web speeds.

A disclaimer: I know next to nothing about computers. That's why I use Apple wink.gif, right. Anyhow, I have no idea why or what these settings make. I can tell you that without a doubt through using process of elimination that:
* Going directly to the modem and cutting the router out of the equation made no difference.
* Using a 50' factory Cat5E with factory terminations made a major difference in consistency of speed over using a homemade Cat5E someone gave me.
* Switching out the 5' factory cat5 (non Enhanced) that runs between the modem and router to a 1' factory cat5E improved the speed.
* Using deadringers settings didn't help.
* Using the settings Vizio gave me did.

Now I don't pretend to know why, especially about the cat5 versus cat5e as my DSL is just 10 Meg. I consistently get that on my Mac and NO OTHER devices ever have a problem with my router or internet speed. This Vizio has been showing speeds as bad as 900kbs and as good as the 8000s now after everything up to this point - while staying mostly at 6500. Again, sorry if I sound ignorant, but I am when it comes to puters.

Oh, and I was reading on the Sharp 70 inch that directly competes with this Vizio and it sounds like it has VERY similar connection issues. For what that's worth.
05:56 PM Liked: 11
post #1277 of 2687
06-13-2013 | Posts: 901
Watched a HD movie on Netflix last night. No issues what so ever, and I only have 3 meg DSL.
06:00 PM Liked: 40
post #1278 of 2687
Quote:

Watched a HD movie on Netflix last night. No issues what so ever, and I only have 3 meg DSL.

What's the tv say your speed is? Are you wired or wireless?

Vizio thought it unbelievable that I can get the speeds I'm paying for when I told them my laptop often reports 10 meg or better. Sounds like an excuse as to why their tv can't get that.
06:01 PM Liked: 11
post #1279 of 2687
06-13-2013 | Posts: 901
Quote:

What's the tv say your speed is? Are you wired or wireless?

Vizio thought it unbelievable that I can get the speeds I'm paying for when I told them my laptop often reports 10 meg or better. Sounds like an excuse as to why their tv can't get that.

I'm wireless. I didn't even bother to look what the TV said my speed was.

For what it's worth. I just bought my TV last week, so it's a new one. Not sure if that matters or not.
06:08 PM Liked: 40
post #1280 of 2687
Quote:

I'm wireless. I didn't even bother to look what the TV said my speed was.

For what it's worth. I just bought my TV last week, so it's a new one. Not sure if that matters or not.

Okay, somethings up with these sets. I just got mine last week as well. I crawled around up in the frickin attic all day running cables trying to do what I can to make this thing work. Hmmmm????
07:45 PM Liked: 10
post #1281 of 2687
06-13-2013 | Posts: 28
The only thing I can think of is that the latest firmware is causing network issues. I do not recall reading about network issues in the rest of this thread. It would be great if more people would weigh in to let us know if they are having issues with any aspect of the smart TV. I am having issues and I am wired. Is anyone else that is having issues wireless? Maybe the RJ45 driver was affected by the latest update? I am planning on reporting this to Vizio. The more calls they get about network issues the more they will look into a fix.

I am hopeful that the setting provided by Vizio with the DNS settings will fix my issue.
07:55 PM Liked: 40
post #1282 of 2687
Well, it just locked up again watching Netflix - only about 41 minutes into it. It freezes on an image and sound continues for a couple of seconds and then in about 10 seconds, the tv picture goes out making a loud "pop" sound. The power indicator shows that the tv is technically still on, but there's no picture or sound. You hit power and the screen & sound comes back on. Open Netflix again and retry.

This is almost exactly what it did last night except that it was me holding down the power button on the set after I got the frozen tv picture. It went off and "pop". It was probably going to do that anyhow and was just a coincidence that I was holding the power button i'm betting.

I'm calling Vizio tomorrow and then Amazon. I doubt Vizio will be able to fix it, so I'm thinking I'll be returning it. What a shame, but I learned my lesson with that crappy D-link Movie Nite I bought a while back. Things like this don't go away on their own and will just infuriate me. $1600 is not chunk change.
RichardCarver's Avatar RichardCarver
08:33 PM Liked: 22
post #1283 of 2687
06-13-2013 | Posts: 306
Vizio wifi isn't the best, I have the 60 and 70 and have found it to the least reliable part of the TV. I have Roku on the 60 as well as a Sony BD390 and the same Sony on the 70. When all else fails the Sony always works. It's interface is terrible but it has never failed to pick up the signal when the others lock up or fall off line. Spring the 88 bucks for a Sony and forget these connectivity problems.
09:09 PM Liked: 40
post #1284 of 2687
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post

Vizio wifi isn't the best, I have the 60 and 70 and have found it to the least reliable part of the TV. I have Roku on the 60 as well as a Sony BD390 and the same Sony on the 70. When all else fails the Sony always works. It's interface is terrible but it has never failed to pick up the signal when the others lock up or fall off line. Spring the 88 bucks for a Sony and forget these connectivity problems.

Hmm, I hadn't actually thought of that; buying another device to connect to my apps. My wife and I were just discussing how frustrating it will be to find a similar deal on a big tv like this. From what I have read of other folks' issues with flashlighting and other image issues I'm a bit leery to try another one of these as mine has acceptable flashlighting. I don't care for Sharp and don't want to spend more money for a Samsung or Sony. But a quality BD player may just be an option. Didn't think of it because I don't need another BD player. But, I don't need this tv either and that didn't stop me.

Thanx Carver for the idea. Oh and btw, I'm hard wired to my router - not wifi. But I think you meant Vizio apps suck just as well as their wifi.
08:29 AM Liked: 22
post #1285 of 2687
06-14-2013 | Posts: 306
Quote:

Thanx Carver for the idea. Oh and btw, I'm hard wired to my router - not wifi. But I think you meant Vizio apps suck just as well as their wifi.

The VIA apps are fine as long as they are connected (hard wired or wifi), it's very convenient to just hit that NF button but when it starts locking, crashing, falling off line or popping I immediately fire up the BD390 and use it's apps. The BD390 (or any Sony smart player) has pretty much the same suite as all the others. The very best is Roku. I have one on my E60 and bought a Roku 3 for the E70 but it won't hook up to the 70 for some reason. But overall, the Sony has been the most reliable player of them all. The interface is archaic but the damn thing works.
08:45 AM Liked: 22
post #1286 of 2687
OK, the 390 is gone, replaced by the 1100, same apps, same price.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S1100-Blu-ray-Disc-Player/dp/B00AWX6EYQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1371220996&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+bd390
08:54 AM Liked: 40
post #1287 of 2687
06-14-2013 | Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post

...but when it starts locking, crashing, falling off line or popping...

When you say "popping" are you referring to a "pop" sound the tv makes? Mine has made a loud pop sound twice after freezing.

On the apps, I do like how well Netflix works on my PS3 in the other room. Pretty flawlessly.
09:00 AM Liked: 22
post #1288 of 2687
Yes, when it locks up it will sometimes make the popping noise when I shut it down. Both the E60 and 70 exhibit this behavior.
10:27 AM Liked: 11
post #1289 of 2687
06-14-2013 | Posts: 901
I watched a few more netflix movies last night without any issues. If I was having your problems, I'd be on the phone bitching up a storm.
10:38 AM Liked: 22
post #1290 of 2687
Quote:

I watched a few more netflix movies last night without any issues. If I was having your problems, I'd be on the phone bitching up a storm.

I've had my E60 since Oct. 2012 and the 70 since Feb., '13, the 60 has popped twice and the 70 once. Would you really call and bitch if your set popped?
Tags: Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv

Gear in this thread - E701i by PriceGrabber.com
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread