Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 2557 Old 08-03-2013, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razman View Post

I have the 70" e series with the latest update 2021. I need someone to verify game mode. My xbox 360 is hooked up component. Lag is fine when game mode is on but game mode turns off even though it still says its on on that input. If i watch cable TV which has game mode set to off and then turn off tv. The key is turn off TV on a input with game mode set to off. When you turn back on the TV and go to the xbox input where game mode is still set to on lag is terrible. You have to go to settings and turn game mode off and back on and everything is ok. So, game mode is actually off when it says its on until you cycle it on and off in settings again.

I had a very similar issue to this one. However, I was using an HDMI input (HDMI 3) as opposed to your component input. The problem could be duplicated by turning the TV off with HDMI 1 selected, which happens to be my Comcast cable box. After tinkering with every setting I could without any results, I figured why not try and switch the Xbox HDMI input to 2. Walla! Problem solved. My PS3 is now on HDMI 3 and Xbox on HDMI 2 and can not duplicate the problem again on any input regardless of any of the inputs game mode selection. I do still get lag with cable TV after making adjustments to TV settings, but have come to understand that cable boxes tend to have lip sync issues on this particular TV. My suggestion, try switching from component to HDMI. I have absolutely no idea why switching inputs would have this effect, but I have noticed certain HDMI cables to be finicky about what they are plugged into, as my old set up used a 2x2 HDMI switch and only certain cables would work this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2557 Old 08-05-2013, 08:01 AM

Liked: 12
hello everyone,

is anyone of you using the DLNA capabilities? I have a Belkin router with DLNA server and a harddrive connected to it with pictures and avi videos. My apple Tv gets the DLNA with no problem so I know the belkin router is just fine, but the vizio sees the DLNA server but with no files on it, no pictures and no videos? is anyone having the same issue and a fix for it?

thanks
post #1443 of 2557 Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loscar123 View Post

hello everyone,

is anyone of you using the DLNA capabilities? I have a Belkin router with DLNA server and a harddrive connected to it with pictures and avi videos. My apple Tv gets the DLNA with no problem so I know the belkin router is just fine, but the vizio sees the DLNA server but with no files on it, no pictures and no videos? is anyone having the same issue and a fix for it?

thanks

loscar.
i've found the dlna to be virtually useless because it supports only a very limited set of codecs. it sounds ridiculous, but i load everything onto a usb drive and walk it across the room. then i'm able to play a lot more. why vizio doesn't use the same codec set for dlna as usb media is a mystery to me.
also, if you have .mkv files, neither dlna nor usb media will read them, rename them to .mp4 and many of them will work. [depending on what codecs are used inside the container.]
.zee.
post #1444 of 2557 Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeefreak View Post

loscar.
i've found the dlna to be virtually useless because it supports only a very limited set of codecs. it sounds ridiculous, but i load everything onto a usb drive and walk it across the room. then i'm able to play a lot more. why vizio doesn't use the same codec set for dlna as usb media is a mystery to me.
also, if you have .mkv files, neither dlna nor usb media will read them, rename them to .mp4 and many of them will work. [depending on what codecs are used inside the container.]
.zee.

thank you I will give that a try
post #1445 of 2557 Old 08-07-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Anyone know if WIDE disables Overscan on this set or is that what GAME MODE in general settings is for?

Have not had a chance to bring up a Overscan test pattern.
post #1446 of 2557 Old 08-11-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hi All,

One of my favorite things about buying new toys now is meeting new people on AVS smile.gif I read over the whole thread today after becoming an owner yesterday. Lots of great info!

In the interest of sharing calibration data, I set up a database here:
http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/xnappo/e701i_a3_db

I haven't tested it a whole lot, so there may well be problems. Let me know what you think!

xnappo
post #1447 of 2557 Old 08-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

here is a post that I posted on the Mserie thread, but it may be useful here too. Note that the E701 can be zoomed out to make the screen 50% size. unfortunately the vizio remote does not allow that, I do it with my universal remote (fios remote in TV mode).

I have been reading this thread for a long time. I was trying to make up my mind between ESeries 65", the Eseries 70" and the Mseries 70".

I used the Costco great return policy and i bought all 3!

I returned the 65", I initially thought that 65 would enough and that 70" would be too big. First lesson learned, 5 extra inches makes a BIG difference and 70" is not too big, an improvement in size is fat better than a slight debatable improvement in quality.

I then had the 70" E series connected next to the M series, both connected to the same FiOS box and Blu-ray player (M701 TV on HDMI and the E701 one on Component).

Here are my findings after calibrating both TVs with WOW.
- Price deference between both TVs at Costco was 500$
- The M701 remote is terrible compared to the E701. The E701 does not have backlit, but it has a full keyboard on the back which is 10 times more useful than backlit. A few people complain about the poor signal of the M701 remote, the problem is not the remote but the M701 TV. Both remotes work on the M701 and I had problem with both remotes having to point directly at the left side of the M701. Both remotes work very well on the E701, even if pointing at the wall. Conclusion remote problem with the M701 is not eth remote but the TV IR reception.
- While the Keyboard remote of the E701 works on the M701, the keyboard only works with a few apps (yahoo, wifi setting etc)…the keyboard does not work with youtube, if you search youtube on the M701 with the E701 remote, you can only use the arrow part of the keyboard, this is a BIG problem for me, it takes forever.
- The aluminum side of the M701 is a matter of taste and room decor, in my case I found out that I like the aluminum at the store, but it looks terrible in my family room, the E701 looks better.
- The E701 has a much better back profile for cable management, I can stick the E701 to the wall, touching the wall, where as for M701 I have to leave ¼ of an inche for the cables between the TV and the wall.
- I did not see any real diference in apps speed due to the fact that the M701 as dual processor and E701 single process
- The E701 has skype and it works very well. The M701 does not have skype….that's a problem for me. You must try skype on the TV it is a completely different experience, much better than on a tablet or PC.
- The panel of the M701 is more reflective than the E701
- Now to the image quality with multiple settings.
o The M701 offers better blacks than the E701. However, that's only visible when watching the same program at the same time on the two different TV, otherwise the difference is so small that it is hard to tell . But indeed M701 has better blacks and appears sharper
- The 3D. Wow I watched avatar and the it looks awesome, the passive technology is great and no headaches. However, there is no 3d programing available:
o FIOS does not offer 3D
o Redbox does not offer 3d
o The streaming services in 3D are 720p and are still very expensive 7$ per movie
o The 3D blueray movies are very expensive
o Avatar was really good in 3D, but I also watched Topgun in 3D and it was terrible. Basically not all 3D movies are great 3D quality, only a few are.

My conclusions:
I returned the M701 and kept the E701, I wished the M701 was like the E701 but better and with 3D, unfortunately it is not.
- The lack of keyboard on the M701 is a problem, especially if you want to do searches on YouTube or other apps (netflix..)
- 3D is great, but it is just a widget to show friends one time, there is no 3D content that's good, easily available and not overly expensive
- There is no skype on the M701
- The aluminum design of the M701 is nice at eth store, but if you have a lot of wood in your room like I do it will not look good, anyway it is a mtter of taste. Plus the back M701 cannot completely touch the wall, it needs space for the cables.
- The image quality of the M701 is slightly better, but it is hard to tell. Not worth 500$ more and the lack of other features compared to eth E701, I will save 500$ now and upgrade to a better TV 3-4 years from now, maybe 4K.

Where did you find out that the E has a single processor & the M a dual?
post #1448 of 2557 Old 08-12-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Where did you find out that the E has a single processor & the M a dual?

the e701 for sure had single processor which was the only thing available in that price range in 2012. Vizio does not say anything about how many processors on the M series except that it is faster than the E series. The sales guy told me that the M series was dual processor like the new Sharp, well maybe but I see no difference with the Eseries on daily use.
post #1449 of 2557 Old 08-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The sales guy told me that the M series was dual processor like the new Sharp, well maybe but I see no difference with the Eseries on daily use.
Now there's a good source for technical info, the sales guy eek.gif
I'm disappointed that most manufacturers don't include this info in their spec's.
post #1450 of 2557 Old 08-13-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Hi All,

One of my favorite things about buying new toys now is meeting new people on AVS smile.gif I read over the whole thread today after becoming an owner yesterday. Lots of great info!

In the interest of sharing calibration data, I set up a database here:
http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/xnappo/e701i_a3_db

I haven't tested it a whole lot, so there may well be problems. Let me know what you think!

xnappo

Added my cal settings smile.gif
xnappo likes this.
post #1451 of 2557 Old 08-27-2013, 11:51 AM

Hey guys!

Just got my TV and was wondering what you are experiencing with respect to motion blur during tennis matches. I can clearly see a blurry comet tail flying through the sky when the ball is struck. What are your experiences with motion blur during tennis matches/football. Even football is a little blurry sometimes! I just go this TV today and was hoping the motion blur would be non-existent. My old 2007 LCD had some pretty bad motion blur, but this new vizio doesn't look much better! Perhaps some of my settings are off?
post #1452 of 2557 Old 08-27-2013, 01:19 PM

Liked: 19
Under Advanced Picture Settings, turn everything off, except leave Film Mode at Auto.
post #1453 of 2557 Old 08-27-2013, 02:06 PM

That is what i was told, however, the tennis balls still have comet tails frown.gif. Is this normal?
post #1454 of 2557 Old 08-28-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched a tennis match this past weekend as well as a few football clips and did not notice any blur or comet tail.
post #1455 of 2557 Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heligrin View Post

That is what i was told, however, the tennis balls still have comet tails frown.gif. Is this normal?

Are you sure it's not in the camera, If you have a DVR you can slow it down & see if the comet tail is in the source & not your tv.
post #1456 of 2557 Old 08-28-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

Are you sure it's not in the camera, If you have a DVR you can slow it down & see if the comet tail is in the source & not your tv.

I dont have a DVR so i cant slow it down, however, what im begining to notice is that whenever there is a panning motion the image is rather jittery. Its hard to explain, but it seems like it cant handle the slight movement of the screen..even slow panning. I dont know if this is normal and i never noticed? I was expecting a 120hz tv to be much smoother. I definitely know there will be some blur during panning of movies, but it seems exvessive. When watching tennis there will be a comet of about 2 to 3 blurry balls behins the actual ball. Its not a solid ball flying through the air. I just got the tv from amazon and can return it, but i wanted to know if this is normal or if my tv is less efficient? The picture watching blu ray is awesome, but the blur watching sports is concerning. I wish there was a way to see this on other tvs! What does everyone think? Sorry for spelling.. im on my phone! Thanks guys!
post #1457 of 2557 Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 PM

Liked: 13
If it's fine on Blu-ray, what you are seeing is likely an artifact of the source.
Heligrin likes this.
post #1458 of 2557 Old 08-29-2013, 06:19 AM

Even when watching blu ray i feel when the camera pans it is really jittery/blurry -- the faster the pan the worse it is. Maybe i never noticed it on a smaller TV? I'm not an expert so its hard for me to tell whats normal and what isn't. For cable, i have comcast and a motorola RNG150N running through a Denon 1612 AVR. Are there any pictures or videos i can take to demonstrate this motion blurring?

Additionally, has anyone experienced an entire slow down or lagging of the picture (with normal audio) for about 5-10 seconds randomly? It happens about maybe once or twice a day and is usually alleviated instantly by changing the channel.
post #1459 of 2557 Old 08-29-2013, 12:24 PM

Liked: 13
Have you ever noticed in the movie theater when the film maker does a wide horizontal pan that the picture jitters? This is because the frame rate is 24 frames per second. This is one of a myriad of examples of when the artifact is in the source.

Another very common occurrence is compression. This is when data is lost because information is compressed to fit onto a disc or for online or satellite distribution.
Heligrin likes this.
post #1460 of 2557 Old 08-30-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxjnorto View Post

Have you ever noticed in the movie theater when the film maker does a wide horizontal pan that the picture jitters? This is because the frame rate is 24 frames per second. This is one of a myriad of examples of when the artifact is in the source.

Another very common occurrence is compression. This is when date is lost because information is compressed to fit onto a disc or for online or satellite distribution.

Has anyone experienced an entire slow down or lagging of the picture (with normal audio) for about 5-10 seconds randomly? It happens a lot when watching ESPNHD? This never occurred on my other TV with the same setup (just switched TV's). We have Comcast if that provides any additional information.
post #1461 of 2557 Old 08-31-2013, 06:50 AM

Yes. I have noticed the same "slow down" with Comcast as well. Happens occasionally, but is pretty annoying! Any suggestions?
post #1462 of 2557 Old 08-31-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano257 View Post

Yes. I have noticed the same "slow down" with Comcast as well. Happens occasionally, but is pretty annoying! Any suggestions?

So i was talking to a vizio rep and we narrowed it down to the cable box. Unless you notice it with blu ray movies, it must be the box. The original cable box i had was an rng 150n aka dcx3200. I went to a comcast center and switched it out for a rng110 (not my first choice). Anyways, it seems that the lag is gone. ESPN was the worst and i didnt notice it at all during tennis coverage last night. Ill let you know if anything changes. I also have all the advanced picture stuff off.
post #1463 of 2557 Old 08-31-2013, 01:58 PM

Look at the black blotches at the bottom of the screen! frown.gif

Hey guys, i've noticed these dark areas on my screen mostly when its a solid color, however, i can see one of the black areas while watching TV. Is this bleeding bad for the newer units? Im thinking about returning the TV to amazon or perhaps contacting vizio.
post #1464 of 2557 Old 08-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heligrin View Post

Look at the black blotches at the bottom of the screen! frown.gif

Hey guys, i've noticed these dark areas on my screen mostly when its a solid color, however, i can see one of the black areas while watching TV. Is this bleeding bad for the newer units? Im thinking about returning the TV to amazon or perhaps contacting vizio.

I had quite a few of those on my first set. Vizio replaced it due to numerous white pixels with a white background like when watching hockey. My new set also has the"black flashlighting" but only on a couple spots, very minor & not an issue with me. I don't notice it on non white images.
post #1465 of 2557 Old 09-03-2013, 05:57 AM

Does anyone know if this TV is multivoltage? I'm going overseas and can get an voltage regualtor but would rather not if someone has tested it and it works.

Thanks
post #1466 of 2557 Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 AM

Is it possible to hide unused inputs from the input screen as I am only using 3 and it is a pain to have to shift through empty ports all the time.
post #1467 of 2557 Old 09-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

I just noticed there is a black spot about 3" down & 3" right of the upper left corner of the screen. Don't know if it's a stuck pixel or a piece of dirt, I wonder how Vizio will rspond to this? It's the replacement set they sent me a couple of months ago. Wasn't there a program or disc the exercise pixels talked about somewhere on this forum?
post #1468 of 2557 Old 09-10-2013, 12:21 PM

i've had my 701 a while now and put some of the calibration settings from this thread in it. they work a treat, thanks. what i didn't realize is that the settings are unique for the different sources. i.e. netflix picture settings are different than hdmi. so i went about setting up the settings for the various inputs i have and noticed something odd. if you go into the vizio media app [for lack of a better word] the picture settings are severely limited. you can basically control only the overall mode. i.e. standard vs movie, and backlight. the rest of the options, like brightness, contrast, color, tint etc . . . are greyed out.

does anyone know why these might be greyed out and how to reactivate them?
post #1469 of 2557 Old 09-12-2013, 10:03 AM

Basically I joined this forum to ask this question, but I could end up staying to lurk further as there appears to be a wealth of knowledge on here.

I am looking at buying the Vizio E701I-A3 from NFM here in the next couple months. It will be in my basement with only 1 window with blinds/curtains so hardly any light.

I will be using it mainly for sports/video games/movies. My biggest concerns are that I don't want any blurring or twitching (if that makes sense).

How does this TV perform? I really like the idea of a 70" since I already have a 50" upstairs, but if I can't get the quality of picture I want with this one I guess I will have to look into 65" plasma. Thanks!
post #1470 of 2557 Old 09-12-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by raberrens View Post

Basically I joined this forum to ask this question, but I could end up staying to lurk further as there appears to be a wealth of knowledge on here.

I am looking at buying the Vizio E701I-A3 from NFM here in the next couple months. It will be in my basement with only 1 window with blinds/curtains so hardly any light.

I will be using it mainly for sports/video games/movies. My biggest concerns are that I don't want any blurring or twitching (if that makes sense).

How does this TV perform? I really like the idea of a 70" since I already have a 50" upstairs, but if I can't get the quality of picture I want with this one I guess I will have to look into 65" plasma. Thanks!

I hate to derail the conversation, but have you considered a projector? I have this TV in my living area, and think you would be happy with the performance while watching sports and movies - but I sure do like my Epson 3020 on my 120" screen in my home theater better! It sounds like your space would be perfect for one. You can get that projector with a motorized screen for about the same price... You might also consider an Epson 3250 if you do not need 3D and want more position flexibility.

xnappo
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E701i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page