Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 2473 Old 01-31-2014, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by iitywygms View Post

I agree. I cant fathom that they would change internals without changing model numbers. If they did, they will have a sheet ton of unhappy people.
That is why I think they will push an update soon.

I should take the damn thing back to best buy and say "I wanna swap this sumbitch out with one that has a Q in the serial number."........"Why?.......Let me get Vizio on the phone for you."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2473 Old 01-31-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintainin View Post

I sent another email to tech support inquiring about black levels this tv will accept. Unfortunately this tv will not output full rgb(0-255). It's clipping full rgb signals to 16-235. I suspected this last night when I ran a black level pattern and a white saturation pattern. I cannot seen any black levels below 16. Conversely I cannot see any greys above 235. This sucks if you are using a htpc. I don't know what the real world implications of this is. Can you calibrate to compensate for that. I'm thinking you'd have to turn brightness and/or contrast levels up. Or does the tv do a good job of converting this? I will say it looks fabulous regardless but I'm kind of a stickler on things like this. I'm using jriver as my media player and it converts everything to rgb and outputs. I'm also pretty sure wmc puts out rgb. I basically want the signal path to be left alone as much as possible.

Another little tidbit for those using nvidia video cards and outputting over hdmi to TV's. The card will output 16-235. The settings in the nvidia control panel will not change this. You have to apply a registry tweak to get the card to output 0-255 over hdmi. Look up "madnvlevelstweaker". This just applies to hdmi output.

You should double check your htpc. Mine shows below black and above white no problem, but is calibrated not to do so.
post #1893 of 2473 Old 01-31-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I should take the damn thing back to best buy and say "I wanna swap this sumbitch out with one that has a Q in the serial number."........"Why?.......Let me get Vizio on the phone for you."

What makes you think it will really be any better?
seneschal likes this.
post #1894 of 2473 Old 01-31-2014, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Another little tidbit for those using nvidia video cards and outputting over hdmi to TV's. The card will output 16-235. The settings in the nvidia control panel will not change this. You have to apply a registry tweak to get the card to output 0-255 over hdmi. Look up "madnvlevelstweaker". This just applies to hdmi output.

Are you sure about that? I use a nvidia gt430 with my htpc. I can choose either full or limited rgb.
I have mine set to full range with no issues. I am using linux but the option should be available to you in windows.
post #1895 of 2473 Old 01-31-2014, 05:47 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

That's a load of crap. If these are the same TV's physically there is no reason they shouldn't get the same updates. Why are newer ones getting it and older ones not. If it's different internally then they need to quit selling them as the same damn model.

Quote:

I agree. I cant fathom that they would change internals without changing model numbers. If they did, they will have a sheet ton of unhappy people.
That is why I think they will push an update soon.

As a recipient of "Q" SN TV from warranty replacement, I have to say, the new TV looks noticeably better in every way. They probably had to revise the internals and/or panel b/c of the white blotching issues so this maybe the "fixed" version of the TV. I do have a firmware that says 1.2.xxx vs. my old 2012 built unit of 2.23.xxx. Maybe everyone needs to start claiming warranty to get the updated TV/firmware (if you're still in warranty that is).
post #1896 of 2473 Old 01-31-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmdogg View Post

As a recipient of "Q" SN TV from warranty replacement, I have to say, the new TV looks noticeably better in every way. They probably had to revise the internals and/or panel b/c of the white blotching issues so this maybe the "fixed" version of the TV. I do have a firmware that says 1.2.xxx vs. my old 2012 built unit of 2.23.xxx. Maybe everyone needs to start claiming warranty to get the updated TV/firmware (if you're still in warranty that is).

While I want to agree with you, without a full calibration of both side by side and removing expectation bias we can't really say. Just a couple clicks different in brightness or contrast will make one look "better".

But glad you like the new TV.
post #1897 of 2473 Old 01-31-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

While I want to agree with you, without a full calibration of both side by side and removing expectation bias we can't really say. Just a couple clicks different in brightness or contrast will make one look "better".

Oh I definitely agree with you there so thats why I'm gonna try running that THX calibrator once I get my MHL 2.0 cable. Normally I wouldn't care much but all this posting on this forum recently kinda made me curious to know if it is really that much better hahaha. I think we are like the 1 percentile of the population that would really care that much to go this length for setting TV picture but it is AVS forums so I totally get the interest. Well, at least I used to be part of the 1% lol. I'm just curious at this point. I'll post some settings once I get my cable and run the app.

BTW, I did calibrate my old panel using the WOW disc and used those settings daily but I felt they were on the "dimmer" side so I used the Basketball setting with some minor tweaking (mainly turning off the auto picture controls).
post #1898 of 2473 Old 01-31-2014, 06:53 PM

For a free app, I thought the THX tune-up worked very well at least in the sense that I am very pleased with the resulting picture settings. I used it to adjust my settings in both movie and custom modes, leaving alone their preset backlight settings. I also left alone the smoothing because I like it, but I turned off all the other similar settings. Movie mode (with backlight at 55) is great in my eyes for nighttime movie watching and custom mode (with backlight at 85) is really good for daytime movie viewing.
post #1899 of 2473 Old 01-31-2014, 07:44 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

What makes you think it will really be any better?

I just meant that if it's really true that two TV's classified as the same model wouldn't get the same updates. That's kinda messed up. Why does one tv get newer update with more features. I mean I bought my TV after some other folks who already have newer firmware. An E701i-A3 should receive the same amount of technical support regardless of when it was made. If not, then they need to classify them differently.
post #1900 of 2473 Old 01-31-2014, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Manna came back and installed my second replacement E701i-A3.
It has the new menu and software, shows Version V1.25.24-301.0090 out of the box.
It is updating the firmware now and we'll see what it upgrades to.

The Manna movers were the same ones from three weeks ago who brought replacement #1. They said they've seen a lot of defects on Vizios lately. Hopefully this one is not a lemon and the third unit is the charm!*
post #1901 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seneschal View Post

It has the new menu and software, shows Version V1.25.24-301.0090 out of the box.

The Manna movers were the same ones from three weeks ago who brought replacement #1. They said they've seen a lot of defects on Vizios lately. Hopefully this one is not a lemon and the third unit is the charm!*

Looks like you have the same firmware as I do and same build week. Congrats. Let me know if you notice any difference in PQ.
post #1902 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

I sent another email to tech support inquiring about black levels this tv will accept. Unfortunately this tv will not output full rgb(0-255). It's clipping full rgb signals to 16-235. I suspected this last night when I ran a black level pattern and a white saturation pattern. I cannot seen any black levels below 16. Conversely I cannot see any greys above 235. This sucks if you are using a htpc. I don't know what the real world implications of this is. Can you calibrate to compensate for that. I'm thinking you'd have to turn brightness and/or contrast levels up. Or does the tv do a good job of converting this? I will say it looks fabulous regardless but I'm kind of a stickler on things like this. I'm using jriver as my media player and it converts everything to rgb and outputs. I'm also pretty sure wmc puts out rgb. I basically want the signal path to be left alone as much as possible.

Are you positive the source is not clipping? Blu-Ray players often have a display setting option for TV or RGB output that will clip. The TV is perfectly capable of 0-255 if the source contains it.
post #1903 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 03:58 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Are these models that Great?

Is it better than the M-Series?
post #1904 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney94 View Post

Are these models that Great?

Is it better than the M-Series?

To be honest, I can't really see much difference in picture quality between Set #1, 2, and 3. Set 3 is with the new UI and built in 2014. It seemed brighter but because it was set on "Vivid" when it left the factory. I changed the settings to "Calibrated" and it's pretty much like the picture I had on Sets #1 and 2, before #1 developed the bright spots, and #2 overheated and died. Does anyone know if the Calibrated settings are truly calibrated like the CNet settings?

I don't have a M-Series to compare to, other than seeing them at Costco where the lighting is not uniform and settings are turned to the max.

At this point I am more concerned with having a TV that functions and be spared of swapping TV's (and dismount, unplug, plug, remount, even if it's done by Manna White Glove Service). Again, the Manna delivery guys said they've had to swap out a lot of Vizio lately, lots of malfunctions and dead sets. There were two other on the truck when they delivered mine, destined for swapping out bad sets. I hope Vizio's QC is not going down the drain! Prospective buyers, take heed!

I only have a few weeks left on the Vizio 12 month warranty so I hope if it's going to die to do so before the warranty is up. I do have extended warranty through Visa Signature but I hate having a broken TV for two weeks, and then the hassle of replacing the TV.

Below is the System Info picture after the TV "updated." But it looks like the same firmware so it must have just updated the Yahoo TV apps.

post #1905 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 08:32 AM

That's probably what you will need to do to get a new set, but good luck with Best Buy's customer service to approve that!
I don't see much difference between the new build or the old, so not sure if it's worth your hassle.
post #1906 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:

I just meant that if it's really true that two TV's classified as the same model wouldn't get the same updates. That's kinda messed up. Why does one tv get newer update with more features. I mean I bought my TV after some other folks who already have newer firmware. An E701i-A3 should receive the same amount of technical support regardless of when it was made. If not, then they need to classify them differently.

I'm pretty sure Vizio changed some of the inside components so it's not compatible with the new software.
Otherwise they would have made their own lives simpler by just rolling out the update without restrictions on the sets.

Most likely the update versions will fork, with P sets only getting the updates based on the old codebase (if any), and Q sets getting new builds.
Kind of like Windows 8.0 and Windows 8.1

If you really want the new UI then you should just take it back and swap the sets.
post #1907 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:

To be honest, I can't really see much difference in picture quality between Set #1, 2, and 3. Set 3 is with the new UI and built in 2014. It seemed brighter but because it was set on "Vivid" when it left the factory. I changed the settings to "Calibrated" and it's pretty much like the picture I had on Sets #1 and 2, before #1 developed the bright spots, and #2 overheated and died. Does anyone know if the Calibrated settings are truly calibrated like the CNet settings?

I don't have a M-Series to compare to, other than seeing them at Costco where the lighting is not uniform and settings are turned to the max.

At this point I am more concerned with having a TV that functions and be spared of swapping TV's (and dismount, unplug, plug, remount, even if it's done by Manna White Glove Service). Again, the Manna delivery guys said they've had to swap out a lot of Vizio lately, lots of malfunctions and dead sets. There were two other on the truck when they delivered mine, destined for swapping out bad sets. I hope Vizio's QC is not going down the drain! Prospective buyers, take heed!

I only have a few weeks left on the Vizio 12 month warranty so I hope if it's going to die to do so before the warranty is up. I do have extended warranty through Visa Signature but I hate having a broken TV for two weeks, and then the hassle of replacing the TV.

Below is the System Info picture after the TV "updated." But it looks like the same firmware so it must have just updated the Yahoo TV apps.

So its not any better than old version..

I asking this question because,i can still return my TV and get my money back.

Is it worth the exchange?
post #1908 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney94 View Post

So its not any better than old version..

I asking this question because,i can still return my TV and get my money back.

Is it worth the exchange?

If you are just exchanging it for the same exact Vizio model, I would say no.
Do you have it mounted? I don't enjoy dismounting, lugging around a 100 lb. box.
If it's working well without the bright spots developing I'd leave well enough alone.
post #1909 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone know if the Calibrated settings are truly calibrated like the CNet settings?

Since calibration depends on the conditions and lighting in the room it is pretty much impossible for a TV to come precalibrated.  That being said, it probably is the closest thing to accurate and only need adjustments to brightness, contrast and backlight.

post #1910 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 09:18 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I'm pretty sure Vizio changed some of the inside components so it's not compatible with the new software.
Otherwise they would have made their own lives simpler by just rolling out the update without restrictions on the sets.

I chated with a vizio tech. According to him, over time all models will be updated. Wait and see I guess.
Another thing I noticed is that the user manual that can be downloaded for this model, it shows a professional menu under the tv picture settings. So if they were going to have different forks I would think they would have made a different manual.
post #1911 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I chated with a vizio tech. According to him, over time all models will be updated. Wait and see I guess.
Another thing I noticed is that the user manual that can be downloaded for this model, it shows a professional menu under the tv picture settings. So if they were going to have different forks I would think they would have made a different manual.

The manual was updated not long ago to include that menu.  When I bought my set about 6 months ago the download was different.

Like you said, all we can do is wait and see.

post #1912 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:

If you are just exchanging it for the same exact Vizio model, I would say no.
Do you have it mounted? I don't enjoy dismounting, lugging around a 100 lb. box.
If it's working well without the bright spots developing I'd leave well enough alone.

I Have the P Model

Picture quality looks really bad,coming from a Plasma...

The TV is already unmounted and in the original box....

Don't know what to do(return and get my money back or get the exchange)?

I only paid $1000 for it on blackfriday.
post #1913 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 10:22 AM

If I were you (meaning got a great BF deal), I'd exchange the sucker and make sure they give you a Q SN from 2014 build. If you're still not happy then get a refund but I mean for the money, its a good TV.
post #1914 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmdogg View Post

If I were you (meaning got a great BF deal), I'd exchange the sucker and make sure they give you a Q SN from 2014 build. If you're still not happy then get a refund but I mean for the money, its a good TV.

You should just return it and get your cash back.
Then you can get a plasma since that appears to be your preference.
post #1915 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 10:42 AM

If you got it from WalMart/Sams Club for $1k on BF, you may likely have purchased the A3E model. It is unclear whether the 2014 A3E models, assuming they are still being produced (retailers may just be selling left-over 2013 inventory of these sets), are going to receive any of the updates found on the 2014 A3 models. My prior communications with Vizio suggests they won't. And unlike the current A3 manuals, none of the new features are identified in the current A3E manuals.
post #1916 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 10:58 AM

Thanks guys.....

Its hard,love the Big 70'' inches...Now i'm back watching my old 58'' plasma and it look very small...
post #1917 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon314 View Post

I'm in the process of haggling with Sam's Club about the A3e I purchased from them. After going back and forth over whether I wanted to deal with the hassle of exchanging my set, I told Sam's Club that I would settle for the A3e at their BF sale price. The CS supervisor I spoke with was receptive but had to run it up the flag pole.

Kudos to Sam's Club for discounting my A3E to the BF sales price! At the $1k price point, I'm very satisfied with this TV, regardless of whether I ever receive the A3 model's updated features and especially after adjusting my basic picture settings.
post #1918 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon314 View Post

Kudos to Sam's Club for discounting my A3E to the BF sales price! At the $1k price point, I'm very satisfied with this TV, regardless of whether I ever receive the A3 model's updated features and especially after adjusting my basic picture settings.

The E701i is a steal at 1k E or no E. If you want the qwerty remote, you can get them on Ebay for about 20 bucks since those sets came with a basic remote not the qwerty.
post #1919 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 57
Quote:

Just curious, why are you using component input & not HDMI??
post #1920 of 2473 Old 02-01-2014, 06:13 PM

I really want to buy this tv while it's on sale for $1499 but my local best buy and walmart only have P serial number models. Should I not buy this tv unless it's Q? Thanks
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page