Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 2687 Old 03-28-2014, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got back from Costco, they have both the P and Q versions, and you can easily see the differences in the boxes.
1. The older P version has a larger box by like 4 inches longer, and maybe and inch wider..
2. The new Q version is in a smaller box, likely just packaging cost cutting.....but it also tells you its the new version.
On the bottom left corner of the box, it says it has new improved and faster menus. (The exact jargon I will put in here when I look at my box again)

So anyone at the store, without needing to confirm the serial, can just ask to see that the box has the updated improvements listed. Interestingly they had the Older boxes in the front, and the newer in the back. At first I thought the bigger box looked better until I remembered that my box had the improved menus listed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2687 Old 03-28-2014, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I would suggest everyone here use a program like Pixel Check on their HDTVs:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10793/pixel-check

Also, here you can see the difference with the VIA version and VIA+ version boxes, there is only ONE VIA version box on the far left:

HRLEbIsl.jpg
kwg likes this.
post #2163 of 2687 Old 03-29-2014, 04:10 PM

Liked: 13
For those encountering the dreaded "white spot" issue, you may want to consider emailing CNET with documenting photographs. Interestingly, if you search "white spots" on CNET, it returns a number of articles from several years ago involving an analogous screen defect with the Apple PowerBook. After several months, Apple introduced a Repair Extension Program to address the issue and put out documents directing consumers to test their screens for the defect using a solid grey background.

It may also be worth noting that owners of the Sharp 70", which I believe shares the same panel as the E701i, appear to be encountering the "white spot" issue as well.
seneschal likes this.
post #2164 of 2687 Old 03-29-2014, 05:11 PM

Liked: 11
Has anyone played with the new "Q" set picture settings to figure out some optimum numbers?
kpiskin likes this.
post #2165 of 2687 Old 03-29-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollofrito22 View Post

So i have the TV mounted on the wall. It seems to now have dynamic brightness (where it changes brightness according to room conditions). I turned it off and its still occasionally going brighter and softer. Reset tv, its still doing it. And here is another annoying thing, now I am getting static throughout my speakers. I effing hate changing components out. I have ZERO desire to troubleshoot this system. Ughhh.

You can turn Off Backlight Control under Advanced Picture Settings
post #2166 of 2687 Old 03-29-2014, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Well I returned mine and am waiting out the defects, lugging that 70" around is bad for my back and don't want a repeat performance for more defects.

Those 2160P/4K displays are sure mesmerizing w/4K content! But the price = arm + leg. eek.gif
post #2167 of 2687 Old 03-31-2014, 09:01 AM

Are the 120hz effects automatically turned off when going into Computer mode? I was at the store with what I assume was the new "Q" version and I couldn't find any menu option to turn it off. On my 60" version of this same TV, I have the ability to turn it off.

My main intention of use for this TV will be as a monitor for my PC. The e601-A3 I'm currenty using at my house is moving to another room.

I would hook the PC up via VGA, just like I did for my 60" and it works wonderfuly.

On a side note, I can overclock the 60" in a way to accept resolutions higher than 1080P. The highest I can get is 2880x1620 using my PC. Games look so much better and sharper. I assume / hope the 70" can do the same.
post #2168 of 2687 Old 03-31-2014, 09:02 PM

UPDATE*****

I just got home, when I left the house my 2 day old Q series made in the first week of 2014 was working just fine, when we left my wife turned off the TV with the button on the set itself and she said that the 3 second timer window popped up and then the input changed to RGB/COMP so she just turned it off with the remote. Now, when I turn the TV on, it is stuck on RGB/COMP (nothing is plugged into this input) and it's unresponsive to either the remote or the buttons on the set itself. I've tried the unplug everything hold power button down for 30 seconds reset and it does nothing to help. This is my 3rd set of this TV and my first Q series set, my previous 2 sets succumbed to the white dots of death, I emailed VIZIO so I will keep you posted on what happens or if the problem somehow remedies itself.
post #2169 of 2687 Old 04-01-2014, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Did you try just having single HDMI connected, and toggle through the inputs?
FWIW I crashed my TV. locked up entirely, when I was in Netflix. After I unplugged and replugged it was back in working order
post #2170 of 2687 Old 04-01-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrin66 View Post

UPDATE*****

I just got home, when I left the house my 2 day old Q series made in the first week of 2014 was working just fine, when we left my wife turned off the TV with the button on the set itself and she said that the 3 second timer window popped up and then the input changed to RGB/COMP so she just turned it off with the remote. Now, when I turn the TV on, it is stuck on RGB/COMP (nothing is plugged into this input) and it's unresponsive to either the remote or the buttons on the set itself. I've tried the unplug everything hold power button down for 30 seconds reset and it does nothing to help. This is my 3rd set of this TV and my first Q series set, my previous 2 sets succumbed to the white dots of death, I emailed VIZIO so I will keep you posted on what happens or if the problem somehow remedies itself.

I had the same exact problem on my Q set too (scroll up to see my post). I unplugged it for five minutes and eventually got it to work again by pushing the INPUT button on the remote control (doesn't work if you push the INPUT button on the TV set itself). The key is you need to push it as soon as the TV is turned on and after it boots. It's very tricky, took me half an hour to get it to work, I was worried that it "bricked." This seems to be a software problem in the boot initialization phase.

My TV exchange sequence with Vizio is exactly like yours. This is my 3rd set and first Q set.
post #2171 of 2687 Old 04-01-2014, 02:15 PM

Has anyone had any issues with the LEDs going out? The bottom right hand corner becomes dark at times. This happened 10 days after my 1 year warranty ended, luckily I have the Squaretrade warranty, that is covering it but anyone know of any possible fixes? I was told I could keep the unit since it is so large, and I will probably hold off on buying a replacement till after my wedding in Sept. The dark spot is intermittent and happens only once in a while so it is definitely something I can live with for a few months.

post #2172 of 2687 Old 04-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ggomycraigo View Post

Has anyone had any issues with the LEDs going out? The bottom right hand corner becomes dark at times. This happened 10 days after my 1 year warranty ended, luckily I have the Squaretrade warranty, that is covering it but anyone know of any possible fixes? I was told I could keep the unit since it is so large, and I will probably hold off on buying a replacement till after my wedding in Sept. The dark spot is intermittent and happens only once in a while so it is definitely something I can live with for a few months.

I don't know of any issue but you could try taking the back off & looking for a loose conection. When you said you could keep it, did Squaretrade refund your purchase price? If not, what was the deal? I'm curious because I have their warranty and haven't heard of anyone dealing with them yet.
post #2173 of 2687 Old 04-01-2014, 05:21 PM

I tried everything and the only thing that fixed it was time, I left it unplugged overnight as this user at https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130514190518AApKhEo had a similar problem with some unknown Vizio TV they owned at it worked. I am still going to explain to Vizio what happened and go from there but for now my TV is working; though admittedly I'm a bit afraid to turn it off.
post #2174 of 2687 Old 04-02-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

I don't know of any issue but you could try taking the back off & looking for a loose conection. When you said you could keep it, did Squaretrade refund your purchase price? If not, what was the deal? I'm curious because I have their warranty and haven't heard of anyone dealing with them yet.

Yeah they are paying out for the unit, tech came out next day from local shop to verify there was no physical damage to the unit. They told me they will pay me by check/paypal/amazon. Was a very quick and painless process. I will definitely use Squaretrade again in the future.
post #2175 of 2687 Old 04-03-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ggomycraigo View Post

Had this exact problem on mine.  Vizio replaced it because it supposedly wasn't repairable.  They hauled away the old one though...which means they'll likely do something with it.

seneschal likes this.
post #2176 of 2687 Old 04-05-2014, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrin66 View Post

Has anyone played with the new "Q" set picture settings to figure out some optimum numbers?
I'm interested too. I've pretty much turned off all the auto features and just adjusted the sharpness to zero, and played with the backlight and contrast. The auto backlighting was distracting to me. The old settings used generally aren't available since there is no longer a movie mode and the color/gamma/offset settings are no longer on a 256 setting scale, it's more like a 200 settings scale from -100 to +100.
post #2177 of 2687 Old 04-06-2014, 09:26 AM

I have a e701i-a3  s# LFTRNXAP TV and I have lost picture but still have sound has anyone else had this problem? And is there a fix? Thank you In Advance.

post #2178 of 2687 Old 04-07-2014, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpiskin View Post

I'm interested too. I've pretty much turned off all the auto features and just adjusted the sharpness to zero, and played with the backlight and contrast. The auto backlighting was distracting to me. The old settings used generally aren't available since there is no longer a movie mode and the color/gamma/offset settings are no longer on a 256 setting scale, it's more like a 200 settings scale from -100 to +100.

Can't wait for professional calibrate to give us his setting..

propony likes this.
post #2179 of 2687 Old 04-07-2014, 06:37 PM

Who is that?
post #2180 of 2687 Old 04-08-2014, 07:44 AM

Just bought a Q set myself an can't find the optimal settings. Any info or suggestions are appreciated. So far no problems fingers are crossed tho.
post #2181 of 2687 Old 04-08-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpiskin View Post

Who is that?

ME!!!!!!!!!!

post #2182 of 2687 Old 04-08-2014, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have had my Q set for one month now and my Amazon app still says it's under development and currently unavailable. Can anyone verify that theirs says this as well?
post #2183 of 2687 Old 04-08-2014, 04:29 PM

Mine doesn't work either.
post #2184 of 2687 Old 04-08-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post

ME!!!!!!!!!!
I did not know lol.
post #2185 of 2687 Old 04-08-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nall256 View Post

I have had my Q set for one month now and my Amazon app still says it's under development and currently unavailable. Can anyone verify that theirs says this as well?
I get the notification that they are working on it.
post #2186 of 2687 Old 04-09-2014, 05:06 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nall256 View Post

See post #1092 and 1093 in the Official 2014 Vizio Exxx-Bx Series Owner's Thread (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1511254/official-2014-vizio-exxx-bx-series-owners-thread/1080#post_24575383). It is not just you.
post #2187 of 2687 Old 04-09-2014, 09:33 AM

Just received our New TV a couple of weeks OK. I'm not the biggest AV guy in the world so didn't think I would really notice too much of a difference between the Sharp LC70LE650U and the the Vizio e701i-A3... and I also liked the idea of saving a little bit of money. Saw enough positive reviews that I didn't mind going this way. Hope I don't regret my choice.
EDIT: Should note: was away for vacation for nearly a week so really have only been playing with the TV for about a week.

A few opinions / observations:
1) Vizio does their warranties and extended warranties through SquareTrade. I LOVE SquareTrade. Unfortunately I ended up buying my Extended Warranty through the store before I realized that Vizio did their warranties through SquareTrade. So my own personal bit of advice: don't buy the store warranty, but make sure you get the SquareTrade warranty (either through Vizio itself or directly from SquareTrade). Had really positive experiences with SquareTrade on a previous surround sound... so I should have waited and gone with them again.
2) Really didn't like the picture or any of the pre-set picture options out of the box. Fortunately I had read lots of reviews and advice on the TV (both on here and from Amazon) so I have been playing around with the picture options... a lot. Right now I have something that I like, but not something that I totally love... not yet. I haven't read through some of the recent setting recommendations here, but wouldn't mind any advice that you want to share. I may end up purchasing Disney's WOW or Spears & Muncil (or whatever it's called). May not go through all of their recommendations, but might want to go through part of it.
3) One of the things that I've noticed: it's a big jump from a 50" DLP to a 70" LED so a lot of the source material flaws that you may not notice on your 50, you're definitely going to see here. For example: some of those Basic Cable Television stations don't broadcast movies at the same quality of some of the premium channels. A lot of original content seems to come through better on Basic Cable than some of their movie broadcasts.
4) My first Edge-lit LED so I will tell you honestly: picture quality begins to degree after a 30-degree viewing angle. The screen is somewhat reflective. There may be a matte finish but there is still some relection there. Hardly the worst in the world, but definitely somewhat noticeable, especially with letterboxes.
5) So far: picture seems to get better the longer we have the TV. Not sure if that's because I'm getting used to it, or because I'm getting the picture closer to what I want, or because the TV is getting "broken in" (as I have read elsewhere) but the picture definitely seems to be getting better.

That's it for now. I'll let you know if I ever get to a picture setting that I love!
post #2188 of 2687 Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 AM

These are the settings I'm using:

Custom Mode
Auto Brightness: Off
Backlight: 58
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 60
Color: 49
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

Advanced Picture
Color Temp: Normal
Backlight: Off
Brightness Controll: Off
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Film Mode Off

Professional Picture:
Color Tuner: All 0s
post #2189 of 2687 Old 04-09-2014, 11:32 PM

Just got my 3rd replacement due to white spot issues.
I'm trying to figure out where is the Skype app... I hope they have not dropped the app on the newer TV version, especially since I have the $130 camera from the prior version.
post #2190 of 2687 Old 04-10-2014, 09:20 AM

5) So far: picture seems to get better the longer we have the TV. Not sure if that's because I'm getting used to it, or because I'm getting the picture closer to what I want, or because the TV is getting "broken in" (as I have read elsewhere) but the picture definitely seems to be getting better.

That's it for now. I'll let you know if I ever get to a picture setting that I love!

You could be right about that..

Or the are just getting tired of calling Vizio for a replacement..

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E701i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page