Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 2530 Old 04-29-2014, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After reading the recent posts in this thread, decided to go ahead and check for spots again since my replacement TV is about 60 days old and I need to start think about buying an extended warranty. To my disappointment, there are about 5 of them at the bottom already. SN:02LFTRNXDQ0298.

My 1st go around with Vizio wasn't the best experience to say the least. I ended up filing a BBB complaint and will probably do the same this time since that seemed to get a better response. Aside from the fact I could not get Manna to deliver the TV when I would be at home, I took exception to their reconditioned replacement policy and wanted to know what they were doing to solve the white/bright spot issue so I didn’t have to go through this again.

As many have said already, they pretty much just stick to the script and don’t acknowledge there is a widespread issue that would require either a recall or doing anything different in the manufacturing process. The supervisor I talked to said they have a 1-3% defect rate on these TV's, the range is for people who have he defect but don't know about it. At that rate, he said they were not going to initiate a recall and, no matter how many times I asked, would not say they would do anything different to ensure the replacement TV would be free of the white/bright spots, only that it would go through the same QC process all their TV’s are subject to.

I’m supposed to get a "new" unit now that I've had the same issue again, but the "reconditioned" TV looked new to me so I don't believe the replacement will be any different. It appears Vizio just hopes your warranty expires before you notice the defect. Once you see them, it’s real easy to find them again, especially with the professional picture gray scale setting.

After coming from a Sony rear projection LCD which had an optical block failure that could not be repaired, this is really frustrating to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2530 Old 04-29-2014, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 77
napertuckytim, you have my sympathy. If the white spot issue is less that 1-3% of sales, we have some of the unluckiest people on earth here on the AVS Forum. At 1%, the chance of getting 3 bad sets in a row is 1 in a million! Even two in a row is 1 in 10,000. Obviously, the rate is much higher than Vizio is willing to admit.
post #2253 of 2530 Old 05-03-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I called Vizio 2 days ago for my replacement tv. I only have a few weeks warranty left. Everything went smoothly, i told her about this forum and others having 2 or 3 replacements. I got the same company line of only 1 to 3 % but she had no answer for what are the odds of those 10 people on this forum having the white spot issue multiple times. She told me i will be getting a new replacement not recertified. She asked if i had purchased a warranty and i told her what choice did i have with this defective TV. I asked about 3 or 4 months down the road when my so called new TV develops the white spot issue if i will have a problem working with Squaretrade about this issue. I was told that Vizio works with Squaretrade closely and it would not be a issue. We will see soon enough since most members on this forums warranty is ending. The roller coaster continues lets all wait and see how it ends.mad.gif
post #2254 of 2530 Old 05-05-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

napertuckytim, you have my sympathy. If the white spot issue is less that 1-3% of sales, we have some of the unluckiest people on earth here on the AVS Forum. At 1%, the chance of getting 3 bad sets in a row is 1 in a million! Even two in a row is 1 in 10,000. Obviously, the rate is much higher than Vizio is willing to admit.

One minor semantic: Vizio Customer Service's standard line is that returns are 1-3% of total TV sets sold. They didn't claim that all the 1-3% were caused by the bright spot issue. That return rate includes all of the other problems, such as the overheated set I had before, etc. And it only counts the people that took the effort to return them, which is a lot of effort for a 70" set.

What they did claim is that the bright spot issue is exceeding rare, but they didn't specifically quantify the problem. The supervisor would not guarantee that a replacement set will be free from this problem, only that this is the only option available to us.

There are probably a lot of units out there in people's homes that have this problem. They probably don't see them or got used to seeing them already (as the spots come on slowly, appearing over a period of weeks).
post #2255 of 2530 Old 05-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Let's read "between" the lines. 1-3% return rate, but since Manna picked them up and we didn't physically return them, THEY don't count as returns biggrin.gif . I would also guess that many people don't even notice the spots unless they watch something like hockey where the screen is mostly white for a lot of viewing so therefore they go unnoticed until it's too late.
post #2256 of 2530 Old 05-05-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I think a lot of people either fail to notice the white spots or don't care. I liked the TV so well over all that I tried to ignore them. They are not visible 100% of the time. They require specific conditions, like a generally light colored scene. But since some people have had 3 sets in a row with the problem appearing within a few months, we know the defect rate is quite high. We also know they escape QA checks at the factory because the defect does not appear until weeks or months of use. Still, it is so frequent that SOMEONE at Vizio and Sharp is fully aware of the problem and should be able to eliminate it at least in future 70" panel models.

The E701 may only be 5% of Vizio sales, so it's quite believable a phone tech is not fibbing when they say they have never heard of the issue.
post #2257 of 2530 Old 05-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I liked the TV so well over all that I tried to ignore them. They are not visible 100% of the time. .
But as we know they will get worse & eventually you will see them on more than just white or light backrounds as I saw on my last set.
post #2258 of 2530 Old 05-05-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post

But as we know they will get worse & eventually you will see them on more than just white or light backgrounds as I saw on my last set.
Exactly. That's why I returned the set to Costco for a refund a week before the 90-day return period expired. The number, size and visibility of the spots was increasing week by week.
post #2259 of 2530 Old 05-08-2014, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Does anyone else have problems with their laptop plugged into HDMI?  Last night I attempted to watch a movie since DLNA doesn't support even the most basic file types and when I plug my laptop in I get an all black screen.  About every 10-15 seconds I will get the image of my computer background flash on the screen for less than 1/4 of a second and it will go back to being black.  This is very frustrating because my previous 48" Vizio worked just fine with the same laptop and HDMI cable (cable isn't more than a year old).  I tried both side HDMI inputs and got the same issue, I did not reach all the way to the back 2 inputs but I wouldn't expect anything different.  I did try the VGA which worked fine yet was grainy and obviously has no sound so it makes watching a movie pointless.

post #2260 of 2530 Old 05-08-2014, 09:33 PM

Was at a Costco today, happened to spot this TV there. These are the new "Q" sets as well. Bright spots are very evident, even though I wasn't able to force white screens on them. No such problem on the 70" Sharp on sale there, nor on any of the other LCD TV's.
Maybe I should just skip the replacement set.

Quote:

Exactly. That's why I returned the set to Costco for a refund a week before the 90-day return period expired. The number, size and visibility of the spots was increasing week by week.[/quote
kwg likes this.
post #2261 of 2530 Old 05-08-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

That's pitiful. Same thing at my local Costco.
post #2262 of 2530 Old 05-10-2014, 04:22 AM

And the "white spots" appear. I only saw them very briefly on a bright, near-white scene while watching TV this morning, but at least three of them are there. Very disappointing.
post #2263 of 2530 Old 05-10-2014, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon314 View Post

And the "white spots" appear. I only saw them very briefly on a bright, near-white scene while watching TV this morning, but at least three of them are there. Very disappointing.
How long have you had your tv?
post #2264 of 2530 Old 05-10-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:

How long have you had your tv?

About 4 months
post #2265 of 2530 Old 05-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

About 4 months
So returning it to store is out, you will have to call Vizio
post #2266 of 2530 Old 05-10-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:

So returning it to store is out, you will have to call Vizio

Yep, I will probably wait a bit until they get worse. I can live with it for now--they were only briefly visible with content playing. Not looking forward to dealing with this.
post #2267 of 2530 Old 05-10-2014, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yep, I will probably wait a bit until they get worse. I can live with it for now--they were only briefly visible with content playing. Not looking forward to dealing with this.

It's really not bad, I've had 2 replaced and the only problem is having to be there on a weekday. Manna delivery service does a great job, they even took it off the wall & put the new one back. The good news on my end is the 3rd set which I received Jan 6 is still good, no white spots after 4 months.
post #2268 of 2530 Old 05-11-2014, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Please keep us posted as I have my doubts that this issue is resolved. I have a feeling every set will get them and plan to demand my money back rather than exchange for another problem TV.
Quote:

It's really not bad, I've had 2 replaced and the only problem is having to be there on a weekday. Manna delivery service does a great job, they even took it off the wall & put the new one back. The good news on my end is the 3rd set which I received Jan 6 is still good, no white spots after 4 months.
post #2269 of 2530 Old 05-11-2014, 05:17 PM

Go to Picture, under Professional Picture, Color Tuner, it will display a white menu on the bottom. Conveniently located near where most of the bright spots happen. Do you see anything there?
post #2270 of 2530 Old 05-12-2014, 11:19 AM

Hello Guys, i mad a video and posted on my YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkgPeLDv5C4

Just called vizio they ask for pictures, i send few of them. Now have to wait for they respond

post #2271 of 2530 Old 05-12-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Your issue is pretty easy to see based on your Youtube video. Vizio will claim they've never heard of this or that it is extremely rare but should offer to replace the TV after they see the pictures. Several people here have seen the same problem with the replacement TV, including a 2nd replacement, which argues that it is actually not rare at all, as the chance of getting 3 bad sets in a row should be infinitesimal with a truly rare defect.
post #2272 of 2530 Old 05-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Please keep us posted as I have my doubts that this issue is resolved. I have a feeling every set will get them and plan to demand my money back rather than exchange for another problem TV.
You jinxed me primetimeguy... eek.gif

I was watching hockey tonight & there was whitespot #1 on Tv #3 so my third in a row with spots. well I guess I will call squaretrade on this one. I will let you know how it goes.
post #2273 of 2530 Old 05-12-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:

You jinxed me primetimeguy... eek.gif

I was watching hockey tonight & there was whitespot #1 on Tv #3 so my third in a row with spots. well I guess I will call squaretrade on this one. I will let you know how it goes.

Do the white screen from Youtube or my method and let us know how many spots you have.
I stopped counting at 30... right before the 90 days they give you on replacement sets.
post #2274 of 2530 Old 05-12-2014, 10:53 PM

I found this thread by accident while looking for calibration settings for the Vizio E701i-A3B with 2.0.44 firmware.

I had this same problem with the bright white spots on a unit that I bought from Costco back in January 2013. I just received my replacement "Recertified" TV today from Manna. Based on this thread, it looks like I'm in for more returns. Great! I sure am glad that I bought the extended warranty from Costco, which I normally never do.

Has anyone here not had to return their replacement TVs?

My replacement is a...
Model: E701I-A3B
Serial: BFLFTRNXAP1401874
Firmware: 2.0.44

I have no idea if that's good or bad, but I assume its a 2013 model, and not the newer 2014 version.

mad.gif
post #2275 of 2530 Old 05-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeken View Post

My replacement is a...

I have no idea if that's good or bad, but I assume its a 2013 model, and not the newer 2014 version.

mad.gif

Thr "P" is for 2013 and the"14" folowing it is the week so yours is over a year old. While Vizio may claim it's rare, I suspect it's very common and most people don't notice while in warranty.
post #2276 of 2530 Old 05-13-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeken View Post

I found this thread by accident while looking for calibration settings for the Vizio E701i-A3B with 2.0.44 firmware.

I had this same problem with the bright white spots on a unit that I bought from Costco back in January 2013. I just received my replacement "Recertified" TV today from Manna. Based on this thread, it looks like I'm in for more returns. Great! I sure am glad that I bought the extended warranty from Costco, which I normally never do.

Has anyone here not had to return their replacement TVs?

My replacement is a...

mad.gif

You should do the white screen test and see if you have the bright spots.
You may be in for another return if the TV is that old. It seems most people start to report their bright spots after 2-3 months.
post #2277 of 2530 Old 05-13-2014, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seneschal View Post

Do the white screen from Youtube or my method and let us know how many spots you have.
I stopped counting at 30... right before the 90 days they give you on replacement sets.

No need, I paused it on a white background on a commercial, only the 1 right now but I know from experience that it will call friends in to visit...
seneschal likes this.
post #2278 of 2530 Old 05-15-2014, 05:45 PM

Liked: 11
I don't post much, but I wanted to vent about my recent experience with Vizio with fellow owners.

Last November, Vizio replaced my original set due to the white spot problem much discussed here. 6 months later, the replacement set also developed white spots on the screen.

The warranty for the replacement set expired in February. Normally, I wouldn't request warranty services under such circumstances, but I decided it would be best to give Vizio a chance to rectify the problem since it was the EXACT same defect that plagued the first set (not to mention the fact that the "white spot" issue appears to be more widespread than Vizio will admit).

I first spoke to Vizio customer service (the first line folks are really courteous) who, after seeing my photos of the problem, transferred me to a higher up.

A Team Leader got on the horn and proceeded to tell me that I was basically SOL since I was outside the warranty period. She went on a spiel about how there is no widespread white spot problem, that maybe only 1% of products are defective, etc.

She then told me that since I had the "extremely unlikely" misfortune of developing the exact same problem with both sets, that she would give me to opportunity to buy a Vizio recertifed TV at a generous discount. She made it sound like she was doing me a huge favor (ie, "I can offer you a 65-inch grade B tv for $870...and you don't even have to send yours back!").

The 65-inch grade B tv she offered me, by the way, is available online at the Vizio outlet for $960. Meaning the discount she offered me amounted to about 9%.

I declined her "best solution" and asked to be pushed further up the chain. I had a long discussion with a (very decent) Service Manager who told me he'd call the warehouse and see what they could do. That was yesterday. This afternoon, I got a message from Vizio saying they would send me a THIRD set even though I'm a few months out of warranty.

Of course, the replacement set will only have a 90 day warranty. I called Vizio, spoke to a different Service Manager about what Vizio's response would be should the replacement also develop spots outside after 90 days, and her response was that I (and the problem) would no longer be Vizio's concern.

I imagine that's how Vizio is handling this issue (assuming it's even somewhat widespread). Just keep sending replacement sets (which are possibly also defective) until we've exhausted the warranty period.

I am wary, of course, that the replacement will also develop the same white spots. I'm a bit undecided as to what to do next, but it seems purchasing an extended warranty may be prudent.

Have any owners here reported a white spot claim with Squaretrade? If so, how were things handled?

Also considering filing with the BBB and my state's Consumer Protection Division, though it probably will do little good.

Anyone here feel like getting together for a class action? Maybe we can get Sharp 70 owners to join too, lol.
post #2279 of 2530 Old 05-15-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I think this needs to go to the BBB and attorney general. This is flat out rediculous.
post #2280 of 2530 Old 05-15-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you even purchase an extended warranty at this point? Or would it be on the replacement set ?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E701i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page