Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 2557 Old 06-09-2014, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The new firmware for the Q series fixed my issue with ARC I was having with my pioneer amp (no sound was being outputted from the TV to the amp).
So far I have no new white spots, its been about 2 months since I received this 3rd set...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2557 Old 06-09-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 135

Here is my updated data on the white spot issue.  Sure it is not a larger number of people but the alarming problem is the number of repeated issues.  I'm still in the camp that all panels are defective it is just a matter of time and if people actually notice.  I'd bet 99% of the population just plain never notices.

VizioWhiteSpots-Sheet1.pdf 43k .pdf file

Attached Files
File Type: pdf VizioWhiteSpots-Sheet1.pdf (42.6 KB, 73 views)
post #2343 of 2557 Old 06-09-2014, 08:31 PM

Ack! My glory was short lived. I bought a set 2 days ago and thought all I had to worry about was white spots developing. My wife and daughter were watching a show this morning and the TV went black. They called me and I had them try a few things thinking they (or a dog) had mashed the remote. They said there wasn't any burning smell but I had them leave it unplugged. When I got home I plugged it in and it seemed to work and a smug smile crossed my face. A few minutes later while we were in the kitchen my wife said "what happened to the TV"? Sure enough it was black. Neither the front panel power button or the remote power button worked. CTRL+ALT+power cord again and it came on for a few minutes. I turned off CEC thinking it might be a problem...darkness. Power cycle, power on, and disconnected the Ethernet unlikely as it would be (I thought I saw someone earlier had said something like that)...back in black. I have no idea what the problem was. I had to exchange it at Costco for a second set. While Costco is always great, the unfortunate part is that this thing is so big I have to borrow my neighbors truck to get it back and forth.
post #2344 of 2557 Old 06-09-2014, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Actually this is my 3rd defective set. When i call Vizio it will be my 3rd replacement. I did file a BBB San Diego complaint and will let you know the outcome.
post #2345 of 2557 Old 06-10-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
haven't looked lately for more white spots because I don't want to get upset, but what's this new model coming out that everyone is waiting for? I figured I'd wait as well before asking for a replacement. quick question if anyone knows, but I got a geek squad warranty for the tv, so when looking to replace should I contact best buy? or vizio? just bought everything in mid February...
post #2346 of 2557 Old 06-10-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razman View Post

Actually this is my 3rd defective set. When i call Vizio it will be my 3rd replacement. I did file a BBB San Diego complaint and will let you know the outcome.

What's the address for BBB? I'll file one too.
post #2347 of 2557 Old 06-10-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
http://www.sandiego.bbb.org/ I started the complaint at my states BBB but once you enter Vizio it takes you to San Diego BBB where Vizio is located.
seneschal likes this.
post #2348 of 2557 Old 06-10-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razman View Post

http://www.sandiego.bbb.org/ I started the complaint at my states BBB but once you enter Vizio it takes you to San Diego BBB where Vizio is located.

Thanks for that, booked for a couple months out when I begin demanding my money back.  :-)

post #2349 of 2557 Old 06-10-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaughan06 View Post

haven't looked lately for more white spots because I don't want to get upset, but what's this new model coming out that everyone is waiting for? I figured I'd wait as well before asking for a replacement. quick question if anyone knows, but I got a geek squad warranty for the tv, so when looking to replace should I contact best buy? or vizio? just bought everything in mid February...
My understanding is that Vizio is responsible for the first year, so you should contact them, but there's no harm in contacting Geek Squad to see if they will help out in the process.
post #2350 of 2557 Old 06-12-2014, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
3rd TV has white spots

I received my 3rd TV, 2nd replacement, over the weekend and checked for white spots while the delivery company was packing up the old one. This is by far the worst one with over 20 white/bright spots in the lower left of the TV, day one out of the box.

There is no way the spots were checked for at the factory and not identified. I find it unbelievable that someone wouldn't check before shipping a 3rd set to someone who's had the problem. If this is in fact a new TV, they have to be shipped knowing they are defective and Vizio doesn't have a solution to fix or prevent the problem.

I reopened my BBB complaint filed due to the 1st TV failure, before this TV was delivered, requesting a full one year warranty since they were offering a "new" TV. A supervisor called me and, after several minutes of back and forth, I was offered a 6 month warranty, which obviously won't be necessary given the above. I will update the BBB complaint with this failure and request a refund.

I was told by the Vizio supervisor there were "options" if the 3rd TV was defective, so will explore what those are and report back.
seneschal likes this.
post #2351 of 2557 Old 06-16-2014, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Loud Popping Noise from Mount\Stand?

I am on my 3rd set and it makes loud popping noises quite often and even when the set is off. It seems to be coming from the attached tv base mount and I am unable to wall mount the set. I tried covering it with towels but the set is still making all sorts of noise. Both of my first 2 sets did this as well but not as loud or as often. Just wondering if others have the same problem and if indeed the noise is from the attached stand rather than the screen itself. Seems like the glossy black plastic is super sensitive to temperature changes in the room. Anybody with it wall mounted having the same popping noises? Thanks
post #2352 of 2557 Old 06-17-2014, 08:51 AM

Liked: 14
White spots

Add me to the list.

My TV was purchased in Feb 2014. White spots. Took pictures and sent to Vizio. They are replacing the TV with a "certified" unit. I am not optimistic.

"P" series serial.

Just waiting for the appointment for replacement.
xnappo and seneschal like this.
post #2353 of 2557 Old 06-17-2014, 12:39 PM

Popping noises

I had the same problem on my second set, wall mounted too.
It started after two weeks with popping noise (only when on though) and then the volume got louder and louder. Then finally a very loud pop and then the whole TV went off... And then the room filled with a burnt electronics smell. TV would not power on again. I unplugged the TV for an hour then it turned on again, but then the same pop sound after volume getting very loud. Then wouldn't turn on again.
I called Vizio and they handed me to a "Safety Committee" which was no different than the regular CS. They told me not to turn the TV on any more as it was a "fire hazard."

I'm on my fourth set now, no bright spots (yet) after a month, knock on wood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal101 View Post
I am on my 3rd set and it makes loud popping noises quite often and even when the set is off. It seems to be coming from the attached tv base mount and I am unable to wall mount the set. I tried covering it with towels but the set is still making all sorts of noise. Both of my first 2 sets did this as well but not as loud or as often. Just wondering if others have the same problem and if indeed the noise is from the attached stand rather than the screen itself. Seems like the glossy black plastic is super sensitive to temperature changes in the room. Anybody with it wall mounted having the same popping noises? Thanks
post #2354 of 2557 Old 06-18-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs down

Just noticed the bright spots a couple days ago. I have a replacement tv on the way as well. My original 1 year warranty expires on Dec 7 of this year. Vizio said that my replacement tv would be warrantied until Dec 7th. I did not purchase any extended warranties on this TV.
post #2355 of 2557 Old 06-18-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by napertuckytim View Post
I received my 3rd TV, 2nd replacement, over the weekend and checked for white spots while the delivery company was packing up the old one. This is by far the worst one with over 20 white/bright spots in the lower left of the TV, day one out of the box.

There is no way the spots were checked for at the factory and not identified. I find it unbelievable that someone wouldn't check before shipping a 3rd set to someone who's had the problem. If this is in fact a new TV, they have to be shipped knowing they are defective and Vizio doesn't have a solution to fix or prevent the problem.

I reopened my BBB complaint filed due to the 1st TV failure, before this TV was delivered, requesting a full one year warranty since they were offering a "new" TV. A supervisor called me and, after several minutes of back and forth, I was offered a 6 month warranty, which obviously won't be necessary given the above. I will update the BBB complaint with this failure and request a refund.

I was told by the Vizio supervisor there were "options" if the 3rd TV was defective, so will explore what those are and report back.
By white spots I assume you mean the flashlighting/clouding/blooming you can see with dark backgrounds at various parts of the panel? If so, I would bet virtually every Vizio panel has this to some degree, and almost all edge-lit LCD's for that matter. Some seem to have more or less. Mine seems to have about a dozen spots, some larger than others. I'm not sure they check for it at the factory because I don't think finding them would cause them to reject the set. Most people live with them so statistically they are better off dealing with the small minority of people who don't tolerate them than trashing most of their panels that could not pass a QC check if it rejected all these spots.

They are really noticeable on my set when there's a solid black background like in fade out or running a test slide. But they aren't really noticeable most of the time in real world viewing conditions for me, especially after I calibrated the set with the Spears & Munsil disc which brought the backlighting down into the 30's and the brightness and contract to the 40-50 range. The TV is not really intended to be viewed with the backlight, contrast and brightness cranked way up except for store demos.

I still don't like the picture on my M810D-A3, but the blooming is not the main reason. Out of curiosity, did you come from a previous LCD screen before these and if so did you run similar tests?
post #2356 of 2557 Old 06-18-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
No, that is not what he means - no offense but you need to read back a few pages!

xnappo
post #2357 of 2557 Old 06-18-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tro25508 View Post
Just noticed the bright spots a couple days ago. I have a replacement tv on the way as well. My original 1 year warranty expires on Dec 7 of this year. Vizio said that my replacement tv would be warrantied until Dec 7th. I did not purchase any extended warranties on this TV.
I have yet to report my issue but was looking over the warranty a couple days ago. I swear it said the replacement warranty is the remainder of the original 1yr warranty or 90 days which ever is greater.

EDIT: quoted from manual
"Replacement parts and Products are
warranted for the remaining portion of the original warranty or for ninety
(90) days from warranty service or replacement, whichever is greater."

Last edited by primetimeguy; 06-18-2014 at 10:57 AM. Reason: added more details
post #2358 of 2557 Old 06-18-2014, 12:35 PM

No, you will see them on a white screen.
Scroll back to my screenshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
By white spots I assume you mean the flashlighting/clouding/blooming you can see with dark backgrounds at various parts of the panel? If so, I would bet virtually every Vizio panel has this to some degree, and almost all edge-lit LCD's for that matter. Some seem to have more or less. Mine seems to have about a dozen spots, some larger than others. I'm not sure they check for it at the factory because I don't think finding them would cause them to reject the set. Most people live with them so statistically they are better off dealing with the small minority of people who don't tolerate them than trashing most of their panels that could not pass a QC check if it rejected all these spots.

They are really noticeable on my set when there's a solid black background like in fade out or running a test slide. But they aren't really noticeable most of the time in real world viewing conditions for me, especially after I calibrated the set with the Spears & Munsil disc which brought the backlighting down into the 30's and the brightness and contract to the 40-50 range. The TV is not really intended to be viewed with the backlight, contrast and brightness cranked way up except for store demos.

I still don't like the picture on my M810D-A3, but the blooming is not the main reason. Out of curiosity, did you come from a previous LCD screen before these and if so did you run similar tests?
post #2359 of 2557 Old 06-18-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by seneschal View Post
No, you will see them on a white screen.
Scroll back to my screenshots
Interesting. I don't see anything like that on the 80", but it would have been a differently sourced panel.

I probably wouldn't even have given them a second change. Generally if I get burned like that I take it as a sign and move on to my next choice. From what you've observed at the stores it looks like a widespread issue at least on the 70". All-and-all this is one reason I still buy TV's from places with ironclad return policies. You can get great deals online, but I don't want to be locked into dealing with s manufacture who I may not trust or still want to be a customer of when a set has issues right away.
post #2360 of 2557 Old 06-19-2014, 09:50 AM

That's what makes this issue so irritating, because the bright spots usually don't appear until a couple months after your first use of the set, and spreads slowly. Most of us bought the sets at Costco or Sam's Club where they have relatively "ironclad" return policies, but they all expire after 90 days. Usually that's when you get enough of the bright spots to notice that it's a problem, but too late to get the return, as in my case. Then you are stuck fighting with Vizio's Customer Service Department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
Interesting. I don't see anything like that on the 80", but it would have been a differently sourced panel.

I probably wouldn't even have given them a second change. Generally if I get burned like that I take it as a sign and move on to my next choice. From what you've observed at the stores it looks like a widespread issue at least on the 70". All-and-all this is one reason I still buy TV's from places with ironclad return policies. You can get great deals online, but I don't want to be locked into dealing with s manufacture who I may not trust or still want to be a customer of when a set has issues right away.
post #2361 of 2557 Old 06-21-2014, 02:25 PM

Liked: 11
Was at local Costco today, there were no e70 or sharp equivalent on display
Hmmm....
post #2362 of 2557 Old 06-22-2014, 06:44 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpiskin View Post
I watch a lot of movies and the one thing that is aggravating is that I cannot see the buttons on the remote. Does anyone know if the xrt510 works with our tv?
http://store.vizio.com/00111203030-1.html
I saw this remote for $14.99 on Amazon and decided what the heck and ordered it. It is fully compatible with our TV. There is also a second power button that controls the Vizio surround system I use. The backlighting works great. It should be the standard remote for this TV IMO.
post #2363 of 2557 Old 06-25-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I filed a claim with Squaretrade for my white spots. They requested pictures. The next day they called and told me that the white spots are "definitely from physical damage" and that it would not be covered. The guy also said that if this were such a common issue, they would definitely know about it because they receive monthly updates from manufacturers on common problems. I told him to google the model number and white spots to find hundreds of people having the same issue. I'm going to fight with them until they honor the warranty. I am so pissed off.
seneschal likes this.
post #2364 of 2557 Old 06-25-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Wow that is total BS.

I had always heard good things about Squaretrade.

xnappo
post #2365 of 2557 Old 06-25-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wope View Post
I filed a claim with Squaretrade for my white spots. They requested pictures. The next day they called and told me that the white spots are "definitely from physical damage" and that it would not be covered. The guy also said that if this were such a common issue, they would definitely know about it because they receive monthly updates from manufacturers on common problems. I told him to google the model number and white spots to find hundreds of people having the same issue. I'm going to fight with them until they honor the warranty. I am so pissed off.
Agree with xnappo, BS as I thought Square Trade was good to work with.

I tried to attach my update spreadsheet where I tracked this but the forum upgrade reduced the attachment size. Can't even upload a 50KB file. Shoot me a PM and I can email it to you if you'd like. 45 others in this thread also have "physical damage".
post #2366 of 2557 Old 06-25-2014, 11:28 AM

If anyone happens to have pictures of their white spots/streaks, please post them.
post #2367 of 2557 Old 06-25-2014, 01:36 PM

Liked: 1
I found the dreaded white spots on Sunday, and researching the problem led me here. I bought the TV in August 2013, so after calling Vizio and sending them pictures, they will be replacing my TV. They told me to expect a call in the next 6-10 business days to set up delivery. I will be getting a recertified TV.

I am sorry to hear so many people have had to deal with this issue and am scared the replacement TV will give me the same problem, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

A big thanks to all of you for posting your information so I know I'm not alone!!
seneschal likes this.

Last edited by Sheranne3; 06-25-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling
post #2368 of 2557 Old 06-25-2014, 02:16 PM

Scroll back to my post #2260

Quote:
If anyone happens to have pictures of their white spots/streaks, please post them.
post #2369 of 2557 Old 06-25-2014, 06:57 PM

Update:

After arguing with a very rude woman (supposedly a manager) for about 20 minutes, she finally agreed to send a technician to verify that there is no physical damage. While I obviously know that the spots are NOT from physical damage, I'm concerned that the tech won't be able to tell...this may be a dumb question, but will it be obvious to him that the lines are not from physical damage? I want to be prepared for his visit.
post #2370 of 2557 Old 06-25-2014, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 57
Quote:
Update:

After arguing with a very rude woman (supposedly a manager) for about 20 minutes, she finally agreed to send a technician to verify that there is no physical damage. While I obviously know that the spots are NOT from physical damage, I'm concerned that the tech won't be able to tell...this may be a dumb question, but will it be obvious to him that the lines are not from physical damage? I want to be prepared for his visit.
Was your tv ever replaced by Vizio for the spots or is this the first time?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E701i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page