AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wope View Post
Update:

After arguing with a very rude woman (supposedly a manager) for about 20 minutes, she finally agreed to send a technician to verify that there is no physical damage. While I obviously know that the spots are NOT from physical damage, I'm concerned that the tech won't be able to tell...this may be a dumb question, but will it be obvious to him that the lines are not from physical damage? I want to be prepared for his visit.
The defect is INSIDE the panel, not external damage that you could have inflicted. I'm sorry to see you are having to deal with such a complete idiot. Tell him or her to talk to Vizio and show them the pictures and your description. Vizio does not admit that this is a very common problem despite the large number of repeat cases we see reported here, but they don't give you the run around like Squaretrade is doing.

Anyway, if you have the typical white spots, the surface of the screen is perfectly intact and the white spots usually only appear when the background is light gray to white. And if you get close to the spots and look at them straight on you can see the LED shining unobstructed over 1 or more pixel as if the light diffusion coating has flaked off the back of the LCD in that area. Any technician worth anything will verify the screen surface is undamaged.

Last edited by Bill Ball; 06-25-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2687 Old 06-25-2014, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post
Was your tv ever replaced by Vizio for the spots or is this the first time?
No, this is the original TV purchased last June. It's just out of Vizio warranty period.
post #2373 of 2687 Old 06-25-2014, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post
The defect is INSIDE the panel, not external damage that you could have inflicted. I'm sorry to see you are having to deal with such a complete idiot. Tell him or her to talk to Vizio and show them the pictures and your description. Vizio does not admit that this is a very common problem despite the large number of repeat cases we see reported here, but they don't give you the run around like Squaretrade is doing.

Anyway, if you have the typical white spots, the surface of the screen is perfectly intact and the white spots usually only appear when the background is light gray to white. And if you get close to the spots and look at them straight on you can see the LED shining unobstructed over 1 or more pixel as if the light diffusion coating has flaked off the back of the LCD in that area. Any technician worth anything will verify the screen surface is undamaged.
Thank you for the details.
post #2374 of 2687 Old 06-26-2014, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thumbs down

Update: It's been exactly one month now since I installed my FOURTH TV set. I ran the white screen test and lo and behold, there are TWO bright spots now, in the lower 3rd of the screen. One is very bright, one is slightly bright. They won't be as apparent on photos as when I had the dozens showing up. Debating what to do next...
post #2375 of 2687 Old 06-26-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by seneschal View Post
Update: It's been exactly one month now since I installed my FOURTH TV set. I ran the white screen test and lo and behold, there are TWO bright spots now, in the lower 3rd of the screen. One is very bright, one is slightly bright. They won't be as apparent on photos as when I had the dozens showing up. Debating what to do next...
Raise hell with Vizio! Ask for your money back?

Do you have 90day warranty with this replacement? Maybe hold out until the new 70" in out. That is still my plan as I have 2 more months of warranty.
post #2376 of 2687 Old 06-26-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
Raise hell with Vizio! Ask for your money back?

Do you have 90day warranty with this replacement? Maybe hold out until the new 70" in out. That is still my plan as I have 2 more months of warranty.
Yes, they told me I have 90 days on the replacement TV. Should I report it first to get the line in the sand drawn? Do you know if the new 70" is going to be out by August? Maybe I should wait until then? I'm sure there will be more bright spots appearing on the TV. When it was new I ran the white screen test and the panel was PERFECT, not a single bright spot.

If they ask for pictures again I'm going to go ballistic!
post #2377 of 2687 Old 06-26-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, they told me I have 90 days on the replacement TV. Should I report it first to get the line in the sand drawn? Do you know if the new 70" is going to be out by August? Maybe I should wait until then? I'm sure there will be more bright spots appearing on the TV. When it was new I ran the white screen test and the panel was PERFECT, not a single bright spot.

If they ask for pictures again I'm going to go ballistic!
I guess it depends what you want to do and if you plan to stick with Vizio. If not, then ask for a full refund as they apparently cannot fix the problem...which we knew. :-)

For me, since Vizio is such a good value, I'm trying to hold out until the new 70"-ers are out and convince them to replace with that. But who knows what problems those sets may have.
post #2378 of 2687 Old 06-26-2014, 12:18 PM

Yeah, my thoughts are the same as you. I actually love everything about the set except for the multiplying bright spots. When you get to 20-30 of them they are very apparent and ruin the otherwise great picture quality.

So are the new 70" TV's going to have the same Model #, i.e. E701i-A3 too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
I guess it depends what you want to do and if you plan to stick with Vizio. If not, then ask for a full refund as they apparently cannot fix the problem...which we knew. :-)

For me, since Vizio is such a good value, I'm trying to hold out until the new 70"-ers are out and convince them to replace with that. But who knows what problems those sets may have.
post #2379 of 2687 Old 06-26-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, my thoughts are the same as you. I actually love everything about the set except for the multiplying bright spots. When you get to 20-30 of them they are very apparent and ruin the otherwise great picture quality.

So are the new 70" TV's going to have the same Model #, i.e. E701i-A3 too?
From what we know they will be E701i-B3.

And they will be full array backlit rather than edgelit. It appears as though the new e-series is not actually a 120hz panel as there is no Smooth Motion setting. The step up m-series for 2014 does. The 2014 e-series with be priced slightly lower than the 2013's with the m-series slightly more. Won't know for sure until they show up.
seneschal likes this.
post #2380 of 2687 Old 06-26-2014, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well... I found this thread because I have a giant white spot in the right center of my E70 that I got from Costco. Unfortunately this is a very common issue with this set based on a few pages I saw on this thread.

Purchased from Costco but am now outside the 90 day limit.

What is my best route? Try to go through Costco? Vizio? Squaretrade (I bought the Sq td warranty)?
post #2381 of 2687 Old 06-26-2014, 01:58 PM

Liked: 10
Jeez, I just posted earlier today in another generic and much older thread. I had no idea how widespread this problem was. I bought my E701i-A3 in January 2013, and just started noticing the white spots a couple of months ago. They've gotten progressively worse since. Has anyone else who's nominally out of warranty had any success in dealing with this in any way, short of trashing their set or filing a class action suit against Vizio? It's clear this problem is considerably more pervasive than Vizio lets on. Pics of my white spots below for the record.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vizio 1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	136961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vizio 2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	136969  
post #2382 of 2687 Old 06-26-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasW View Post
Jeez, I just posted earlier today in another generic and much older thread. I had no idea how widespread this problem was. I bought my E701i-A3 in January 2013, and just started noticing the white spots a couple of months ago. They've gotten progressively worse since. Has anyone else who's nominally out of warranty had any success in dealing with this in any way, short of trashing their set or filing a class action suit against Vizio? It's clear this problem is considerably more pervasive than Vizio lets on. Pics of my white spots below for the record.
Start by calling Vizio, but chances are they will say you are six months out.
Then you might try the BBB route next...
post #2383 of 2687 Old 06-26-2014, 05:38 PM

Liked: 13
Thumbs down I'm out, getting a refund

After 3 TV's all with white/bright spots, I'm receiving a refund. Supposedly a shipping box is on its way and I will receive the full purchase price plus tax as a refund. I was also supposed to receive a letter stating the second replacement tv would have a 6 month warranty since I refused to accept it with a 90 day, have not seen that yet but don't really need it now since the defect was there on day one.

My BBB complaint was "administratively" closed due to them concluding Vizio is following their warranty process. BBB explained they can't do anything if the company is following their stated procedures, no matter how inadequate they might be. Did get a quick response from Vizio when I filed but basically worthless when it comes to getting anything more than what they state their policy is. If you are outside the warranty, nothing they can do about it if Vizio declines to replace the TV.

Really disappointing to hear square trade extended warranty is claiming physical damage. Vizio was a bit too eager for me to purchase an extended warranty for my comfort, glad I'm getting off the bus. Going to do some research here before buying anything else, but hope to be applying my refund to a non-vizio 75" tv and buying it from Costco so I get a 2 year warranty.

Basing the following quality assessment on getting 3 tv's with the same defect...amazed how prevalent this issue must be and how many owners must not be aware their tv's have it. For the record, I found mine before coming to this forum and discovering that others had the same issue. I was cleaning my screen and found them. Unfortunately, once I did that, I could not un-see them, and my last TV was by far the worst one.
seneschal likes this.
post #2384 of 2687 Old 06-26-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

While painful, glad to hear you got your money back. Now there is precedence for the rest of us. Thanks for posting.
post #2385 of 2687 Old 06-27-2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Start by calling Vizio, but chances are they will say you are six months out.
Then you might try the BBB route next...
Quote:
Originally Posted by napertuckytim View Post
My BBB complaint was "administratively" closed due to them concluding Vizio is following their warranty process. BBB explained they can't do anything if the company is following their stated procedures, no matter how inadequate they might be. Did get a quick response from Vizio when I filed but basically worthless when it comes to getting anything more than what they state their policy is. If you are outside the warranty, nothing they can do about it if Vizio declines to replace the TV.
Obviously, for those unlucky enough to be just out of warranty when the problem becomes noticeable, the BBB is not going to offer any help. That leaves only two options: (1) asking Vizio for an exception to their warranty policy based on the pervasiveness of the problem (and the mere fortuitousness that it became noticeable 15 months after purchase rather than 11 months); and (2) threatening, and possibly carrying out, legal action.

I tend to use all tools at my disposal when confronted with a thorny problem.
post #2386 of 2687 Old 06-27-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm on my second set, first one crapped out 3 days after original purchase. started noticing the white spots when the tv is a mainly white screen, haven't done a 'legit' white screen test to check how many, but I know they're there. I'd like to wait until the B3 comes out and see about getting a replacement with one of those, and hopefullY that'll be the end of that.

But, after reading about all of these white spot ordeals, and vizio's stance on saying it's only 1%, can we take measures to make this more public? I'm also under the impression a majority of owners don't realize their unit has this issue.

So what can we do just being a 'regular joe customer'? Can we ask the AVS forum owners / webmasters / whoever's in charge to take our evidence to vizio and show them?

or can these same AVS people share this forum with the crew at CNET, engadget, gizmodo, or any other tech related website so they can make this issue more public, so unsuspecting owners can also see if they have the issue?

social media and power in numbers can certainly make this a more prevalent issue that's require a response from vizio.

does anybody know what we can do?? I certainly don't want to have play musical chairs with 70" replacements every few months. I waited 4 years before buying a big tv, this isn't what I wanted to happen. and I don't have to extra money to pay the difference for a 'higher quality' brand to completely rid the vizio.

what can we do? let's get the wheels in motion!!!

Last edited by mvaughan06; 06-27-2014 at 07:45 AM.
post #2387 of 2687 Old 06-27-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I took it upon myself to send this tweet to several sites. I hope I'm not breaking forum policies, but please retweet this or send the tiny url to whomever you feel could help
us. https://t.co/QlbKcEvGPZ
Check out @mvaughan06 's Tweet: https://twitter.com/mvaughan06/statu...21519013101570
primetimeguy likes this.

Last edited by mvaughan06; 06-27-2014 at 08:18 AM.
post #2388 of 2687 Old 06-27-2014, 04:27 PM

I posted a complain on Vizio's Facebook page. It got scrolled off pretty quickly. Maybe if everyone on the thread does the same it will have an effect.

https://www.facebook.com/vizio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaughan06 View Post
I'm on my second set, first one crapped out 3 days after original purchase. started noticing the white spots when the tv is a mainly white screen, haven't done a 'legit' white screen test to check how many, but I know they're there. I'd like to wait until the B3 comes out and see about getting a replacement with one of those, and hopefullY that'll be the end of that.

But, after reading about all of these white spot ordeals, and vizio's stance on saying it's only 1%, can we take measures to make this more public? I'm also under the impression a majority of owners don't realize their unit has this issue.

So what can we do just being a 'regular joe customer'? Can we ask the AVS forum owners / webmasters / whoever's in charge to take our evidence to vizio and show them?

or can these same AVS people share this forum with the crew at CNET, engadget, gizmodo, or any other tech related website so they can make this issue more public, so unsuspecting owners can also see if they have the issue?

social media and power in numbers can certainly make this a more prevalent issue that's require a response from vizio.

does anybody know what we can do?? I certainly don't want to have play musical chairs with 70" replacements every few months. I waited 4 years before buying a big tv, this isn't what I wanted to happen. and I don't have to extra money to pay the difference for a 'higher quality' brand to completely rid the vizio.

what can we do? let's get the wheels in motion!!!
post #2389 of 2687 Old 06-27-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, just posted there!
post #2390 of 2687 Old 07-01-2014, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs down

Went to my local Sam's Club and the Vizio on display had the white spots all over the screen. I am waiting on my first replacement to be delivered in the next few days.
post #2391 of 2687 Old 07-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tro25508 View Post
Went to my local Sam's Club and the Vizio on display had the white spots all over the screen. I am waiting on my first replacement to be delivered in the next few days.
You must be mistaken, Vizio has never heard of this problem before....
seneschal likes this.
post #2392 of 2687 Old 07-02-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Had my 2nd set delivered in Dec. This set is showing white spots too. Going to call Vizio soon and see what they say even though I'm out of warranty. This is a much better set than the first. Sadly they all appear to get the spots
seneschal likes this.
post #2393 of 2687 Old 07-05-2014, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just had this TV delivered today. The calibration settings are somewhat different than described anywhere I can find online. They seem to now match more closely with the M701-a3r. Any suggestions on settings would be appreciated.
post #2394 of 2687 Old 07-06-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So the second set spots are getting pretty bad and my warranty is almost up.

Anyone had any luck getting a different model from Vizio?

xnappo
post #2395 of 2687 Old 07-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
So the second set spots are getting pretty bad and my warranty is almost up.

Anyone had any luck getting a different model from Vizio?

xnappo
I requested and offered to pay the difference for an equivalent 70" M TV set but Vizio refused. The CS supervisor said "The M's are an entirely different model, they're 3D TV's, we can't swap different model numbers."

I asked him if the fourth TV set develops the bright spots, what they would do. He said, "If that happens, there are other things we can do." Not sure what he meant by that, but I may find out in a few weeks if my set develops more than just the two I see now.
post #2396 of 2687 Old 07-07-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Ugh - that really sucks. I was thinking I would just pay for SquareTrade when my warranty was close to up - but now it sounds like they are not covering this well. And I know if I go through pain of another swap it is just going to happen again.

xnappo
post #2397 of 2687 Old 07-08-2014, 08:15 AM

I have just purchased this model from frys.com as a refurbished 90 days warranty. when the set arrives how to test for issues?
post #2398 of 2687 Old 07-08-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher1111 View Post
I have just purchased this model from frys.com as a refurbished 90 days warranty. when the set arrives how to test for issues?
Go to the YouTube app after pushing the Vizio button. Search for "White Screen" in YouTube and play the video. It should be very apparent once the white screen comes on if you have any of the bright spots problem.
post #2399 of 2687 Old 07-08-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

That said, the white spots don't usually show up until around 90 days.....
post #2400 of 2687 Old 07-09-2014, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all, couple questions, hope someone can help

I just got my 70'' M series yesterday and I'm having trouble with the picture, I had a 46'' and older Samsung 7 series which is amazing, made that one a bedroom tv, I noticed the picture on this vizio is not as sharp and clear

Am I just not going to get the same quality picture on this set because of size? or do I just need to mess with the calibration?

Also is there a difference on what HDMI port I use for daily Directv? I think I currently have it on 3, I read somewhere that there's more picture modes on certain HDMI ports

Thanks guys!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E701i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page