post #2401 of 2556 Old 07-09-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
That said, the white spots don't usually show up until around 90 days.....
True on new sets. My first ones appeared at 30 days but were not very obvious except within about 5'. They grew much more obvious between 60 and 90 days and I returned the set to Costco. A refurb could have been returned for the white spot problem, like mine, and recycled as Vizio doesn't pay much attention to this and may not identify it as a defect in the refurb process. Fry's only allows 30 days for returns and the Vizio warranty on refurbs is only 90 days, so this should be very closely checked soon and ANY white spots at all, no matter if only small and singular on the white screen test, should be a red flag that the TV is headed for bigger problems. EVERY E701i-A3 demo unit I have seen at Best Buy, Costco, Frys and Sams Club has had numerous white spot defects visible with any light content.

Last edited by Bill Ball; 07-09-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 2556 Old 07-10-2014, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Signed up with the forum to discuss this issue. Ordered my first Vizio in January and returned it to the store the following month. It was initially perfect, but developed issues with the backlight after the first several weeks. I blamed myself because I noticed inconsistent lighting some time after wiping down the screen with a microfiber cloth...perhaps I applied too much pressure. Second TV purchased in February was also perfect initially until I noticed the white spots over the weekend. Googling issues with this model brought me here to discover it was a common problem. The second TV also developed a more pronounced flashlighting effect along the bottom edge after about 90 days. I could deal with the still relatively minor flashlighting, but not the white spots...once I spot them and I know they are there I am constantly looking for them.

Being early July, my 90 day return policy had expired at the store where I originally purchased the TV back in February, but a call to their corporate office requesting an exchange led to a store manager calling back and offering to override their policy. Major kudos for this and I will be following up with their headquarters to let them know. They didn't even make me try dealing with the manufacturer first. Installed the third TV last night and thankfully no issues with the picture even on full black/blue/white screens. Hoping for the best, but I confirmed I have another 90 day return policy with this one as well.

My theory, which I welcome other opinions on, is that these issues may develop from too much contact with the screen. I didn't touch the second screen at all following my issue with the first TV, but I found out my girlfriend would occasionally wipe the screen down with those Windex electronic wipes while cleaning. Perhaps too much pressure or a small amount of moisture could lead to these issues? Either way, we both have our fingers crossed and it's hands off with this screen!
post #2403 of 2556 Old 07-10-2014, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 57
I have never wiped my screen, no need so far, but have had 3 of these with spots. From what I've noticed they are always towards the bottom never the top, could it be stress damage from lifing it from the box to the stand or wall mount, you always have to grab the bottom???
post #2404 of 2556 Old 07-10-2014, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I had the same initial thought as you, because I wiped the screen on the first Vizio I bought and I thought it might have been caused by that.
But I can confirm that is not the cause. On my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sets, I have NOT wiped the screens at all. All of the replacement sets still developed the bright spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_shackleford View Post
Signed up with the forum to discuss this issue. Ordered my first Vizio in January and returned it to the store the following month. It was initially perfect, but developed issues with the backlight after the first several weeks. I blamed myself because I noticed inconsistent lighting some time after wiping down the screen with a microfiber cloth...perhaps I applied too much pressure. Second TV purchased in February was also perfect initially until I noticed the white spots over the weekend. Googling issues with this model brought me here to discover it was a common problem. The second TV also developed a more pronounced flashlighting effect along the bottom edge after about 90 days. I could deal with the still relatively minor flashlighting, but not the white spots...once I spot them and I know they are there I am constantly looking for them.

Being early July, my 90 day return policy had expired at the store where I originally purchased the TV back in February, but a call to their corporate office requesting an exchange led to a store manager calling back and offering to override their policy. Major kudos for this and I will be following up with their headquarters to let them know. They didn't even make me try dealing with the manufacturer first. Installed the third TV last night and thankfully no issues with the picture even on full black/blue/white screens. Hoping for the best, but I confirmed I have another 90 day return policy with this one as well.

My theory, which I welcome other opinions on, is that these issues may develop from too much contact with the screen. I didn't touch the second screen at all following my issue with the first TV, but I found out my girlfriend would occasionally wipe the screen down with those Windex electronic wipes while cleaning. Perhaps too much pressure or a small amount of moisture could lead to these issues? Either way, we both have our fingers crossed and it's hands off with this screen!
post #2405 of 2556 Old 07-10-2014, 01:16 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by seneschal

I'm with you, would be great if he could do a true test because I'm of the belief there isn't a set out there 6 months old that doesn't have the problem. But at the same time I don't want him to find out he has the issue since he is very happy with the set.

Going on 7 months. Refurbished unit purchased in January of 2014.
Still no spots.
post #2406 of 2556 Old 07-11-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
That is good to hear. My second set is now much worse than my first, so calling for another one. I hope I get lucky too.

xnappo
post #2407 of 2556 Old 07-11-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my TV for about 4 months before I noticed a couple tiny white spots, but chose to ignore it as they were barely noticeable. Then 2 months later a backlight goes out, so I had to get a replacement from vizio. The recertified TV arrived earlier this week and I did see two very tiny white spots. Now, I'm unsure if I should ask for another replacement right away or wait til later. Some seem to be waiting until the 2014 model comes out, is that supposed to be a better tv? I have warranty until December.
post #2408 of 2556 Old 07-11-2014, 11:03 AM

Lucky!
What's the serial # or month of production? Hopefully my 4th is close to it, although it has 2 spots already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iitywygms View Post
Going on 7 months. Refurbished unit purchased in January of 2014.
Still no spots.
post #2409 of 2556 Old 07-11-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seneschal View Post
lucky!
What's the serial # or month of production? Hopefully my 4th is close to it, although it has 2 spots already.
31lftrnxbp02745
post #2410 of 2556 Old 07-12-2014, 12:58 PM

Liked: 11
^^
The number of hours the tv is on is probably the main factor.
7 months without spots but how many hours a week is that tv on ?
My 3rd set has developed one small bright spot and one faint blob in the first month. Though in the last month there have been no changes.
post #2411 of 2556 Old 07-12-2014, 01:14 PM

Liked: 1
Got my replacement TV last Saturday. Did the white screen test today, and there are several very small ones. They don't show up at all (yet!) during normal viewing. I will wait and see what happens within the warranty period, but will probably wait until it's over and then use my Best Buy warranty to buy a different brand.

This is an obviously very widespread problem, and shame on Vizio for not correcting it.
post #2412 of 2556 Old 07-12-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRBRO View Post
^^
The number of hours the tv is on is probably the main factor.
7 months without spots but how many hours a week is that tv on ?
My 3rd set has developed one small bright spot and one faint blob in the first month. Though in the last month there have been no changes.
Probably 40 hours a week.
So it has roughly 1200 hours on it.
And it is a refurb so how many hours does that add?
post #2413 of 2556 Old 07-13-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheranne3 View Post
Got my replacement TV last Saturday. Did the white screen test today, and there are several very small ones. They don't show up at all (yet!) during normal viewing. I will wait and see what happens within the warranty period, but will probably wait until it's over and then use my Best Buy warranty to buy a different brand.

This is an obviously very widespread problem, and shame on Vizio for not correcting it.
Was that with Vizio's warranty replacement? The company replacing mine for white spots is only available for Monday delivery and is constantly changing the schedule on me, I'm sort of upset with them, called Vizio and hoping it gets resolved. Really hoping for a weekend delivery instead. The white spots are only visible sometimes from 9 ft, but certain screens make them horribly obvious. The way people are talking on this thread I may need to go through 3-10 sets to get a good one. Makes me feel like just selling the vizio and seeing what deals black friday brings.
post #2414 of 2556 Old 07-13-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
Raise hell with Vizio! Ask for your money back?

Do you have 90day warranty with this replacement? Maybe hold out until the new 70" in out. That is still my plan as I have 2 more months of warranty.
What is the new 70"? Is it a new 70" E series for the same price? What's the model number?

http://www.target.com/p/vizio-70-cla...3/-/A-14408844

This one? I thought it wasn't out yet, but seeing a model number now, unless that's some old custom Target model number.

Last edited by ben7337; 07-13-2014 at 10:54 AM.
post #2415 of 2556 Old 07-13-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Target messed up that ad. The model number is a 2014 model (ending with -B3) and they claim "full array" in the headline. But in the detailed description and specifications, it is "Razor LED", the 2013 designation for edge lit as well as directly stating edge lit several places in the specs. The 2014 E700i-B3 full array set has not been released yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben7337 View Post
What is the new 70"? Is it a new 70" E series for the same price? What's the model number?

http://www.target.com/p/vizio-70-cla...3/-/A-14408844

This one? I thought it wasn't out yet, but seeing a model number now, unless that's some old custom Target model number.
seneschal likes this.
post #2416 of 2556 Old 07-14-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Went out this weekend to get the Vizio 70" TV, but saw the same white spots on this set at Sam's and two Costco stores. I was about to pull the trigger on the 70" Sharp, but saw the spots on that one too! Of course, when I asked at Costco they said nobody had ever complained about it or returned due to this

So I figured that it wasn't worth the risk and ended up with a 65" Samsung (don't find the issue when Googling on this set). Don't want to have to be schlepping bad sets in and out of the house on a regular basis!
seneschal likes this.
post #2417 of 2556 Old 07-14-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

jfischer:

Common experience, since Sharp provided the panel. Yes, every one I've ever seen on display has the spots.
post #2418 of 2556 Old 07-14-2014, 03:48 PM

Is the delivery company Manna? You can call ask for an after hours delivery too. They'll call Vizio and get the OK for you.

I told them after two previous swaps, I didn't want to take time off from work again so they got an OK to do it on a weeknight. Not sure if they do weekends though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben7337 View Post
Was that with Vizio's warranty replacement? The company replacing mine for white spots is only available for Monday delivery and is constantly changing the schedule on me, I'm sort of upset with them, called Vizio and hoping it gets resolved. Really hoping for a weekend delivery instead. The white spots are only visible sometimes from 9 ft, but certain screens make them horribly obvious. The way people are talking on this thread I may need to go through 3-10 sets to get a good one. Makes me feel like just selling the vizio and seeing what deals black friday brings.
post #2419 of 2556 Old 07-14-2014, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Test for White Spot Issue

Hi - I'm wondering if there was a specific way to test if a unit has the white spot problem? Is there a website, setting, or something else you use?

I think I'm going to chance it with this model since it's so inexpensive at Costco and they have a good return policy if I do run into issues. Thanks all.
post #2420 of 2556 Old 07-14-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec26 View Post
Hi - I'm wondering if there was a specific way to test if a unit has the white spot problem? Is there a website, setting, or something else you use?

I think I'm going to chance it with this model since it's so inexpensive at Costco and they have a good return policy if I do run into issues. Thanks all.
You don't expect to see the spots on delivery. They take weeks to months to begin appearing and gradually become more numerous, larger and noticeable. Yeah, Costco is the way to go with their 90-day return period. Mine started exhibiting spots at 45 days, got progressively worse and I returned it at about 80 days.

The spots are best observed against a white or near white field. Here's a test video that should expose them.
seneschal likes this.
post #2421 of 2556 Old 07-14-2014, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Did any of you 70 m owners consider the Sony 70 or was it just vizio ?
post #2422 of 2556 Old 07-15-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Well NOW I would consider it

Do not buy this Vizio. Seriously.

xnappo
post #2423 of 2556 Old 07-15-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
Well NOW I would consider it

Do not buy this Vizio. Seriously.

xnappo
Whys that ? Lol I'm leaning towards the Sony due to better gaming has lowest input lag. The 3d may suck but then again i won't use it much
post #2424 of 2556 Old 07-15-2014, 09:02 AM

Liked: 2
Purchased my E701 in May 2013 but didn't notice white spots until May 2014. Vizio honored the claim and sent a refurb. Now, 45 days out, the refurb panel has numerous tiny white spots in the lower left corner. i just recently have been following this thread but wanted to know if anyone knows the history of the 70" M series panels. Do they experience the same white spot problems as the E series does?
post #2425 of 2556 Old 07-15-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Did any of you 70 m owners consider the Sony 70 or was it just vizio ?
The posters on this thread own the E701i-A3, not the M series.
Yes, I would certainly have considered paying more for a Sony if I knew about the bright spots problem.
I have a Vizio GV47L which is still working great (except for the initial "humming" problem that Vizio's tech was able to repair by swapping out the motherboard).
But now I am very wary of the Vizio brand.
post #2426 of 2556 Old 07-15-2014, 05:04 PM

Ya my apologies . I ordered the Sony 70 w850b while many people love their vizio there's also a lot on the other side of the coin . At least with the sony I have a quality that I know on my side
post #2427 of 2556 Old 07-16-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by seneschal View Post
Go to the YouTube app after pushing the Vizio button. Search for "White Screen" in YouTube and play the video. It should be very apparent once the white screen comes on if you have any of the bright spots problem.
I am seeing already 2 spots after running the video from youtube. can't know whether those are white spots are not. Will post a picture today afternoon.
post #2428 of 2556 Old 07-16-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec26 View Post

Don't do it IMHO. Every single one of these sets I've seen has the white spot issue. Even though Costco has a good return policy, these things are *heavy* and not something you want to keep exchanging on a regular basis. I think you're almost guaranteed to develop white spots on this set, it's an inherent flaw in the panel design.
seneschal and levelbest like this.
post #2429 of 2556 Old 07-16-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Arrow CEC Control Issues

I hate to jump into the middle of the white spot discussion but I have a new E701i-A3 and am having some issues getting the CEC working properly. Or maybe it's working properly and I just can't do what I want.

I have a Sony Receiver the tv is hooked up to. The Receiver HDMI out goes to HDMI 1 on the tv. The TV finds the receiver and does control volume and turning the amp and tv on/off together.

My issue is with the source the TV selects on the receiver.

My amp is a HDMI switcher with I think 5 inputs. So, I run a XBOX One(SA/TV Input), XBOX 360 & Blue Ray thru it. I also run a DirecTV HD Box thru the Xbox One.

Problem is, I can have the amp on the SA/TV input when I turn the tv off, then when I turn TV back on - the receiver first turns to TV then to SA/TV and then the volume display comes up on the tv and it goes back to TV. Is there anyway to have it stay on the input it was on?

Or, literally, do I have to use the TV as the HDMI switcher and plug everything in there so that the TV ARC channel is used. Seems like a waste to have an HDMI AV receiver with multiple inputs then. I've spent hours messing with both the TV and the Sony receiver, tried different settings with no luck.

Hopefully this makes sense. Input and advice is appreciated.

Last edited by levelbest; 07-16-2014 at 02:39 PM.
post #2430 of 2556 Old 07-16-2014, 02:11 PM

I think you'll have to use the TV as the switcher, as you described.
There seems to be problems with the HDMI implementation on this set, with the new UI in the Q sets at least. I didn't have problems with my older P sets, but my cable box would frequently have audio syncing problems and I would have to reset the TV to get it to work again. I gave up and use Component Video in instead of HDMI to have a smooth viewing experience.
Have you checked the TV for the bright spots problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelbest View Post
I hate to jump into the middle of the white screen discussion but I have a new E701i-A3 and am having some issues getting the CEC working properly. Or maybe it's working properly and I just can't do what I want.

I have a Sony Receiver the tv is hooked up to. The Receiver HDMI out goes to HDMI 1 on the tv. The TV finds the receiver and does control volume and turning the amp and tv on/off together.

My issue is with the source the TV selects on the receiver.

My amp is a HDMI switcher with I think 5 inputs. So, I run a XBOX One(SA/TV Input), XBOX 360 & Blue Ray thru it. I also run a DirecTV HD Box thru the Xbox One.

Problem is, I can have the amp on the SA/TV input when I turn the tv off, then when I turn TV back on - the receiver first turns to TV then to SA/TV and then the volume display comes up on the tv and it goes back to TV. Is there anyway to have it stay on the input it was on?

Or, literally, do I have to use the TV as the HDMI switcher and plug everything in there so that the TV ARC channel is used. Seems like a waste to have an HDMI AV receiver with multiple inputs then. I've spent hours messing with both the TV and the Sony receiver, tried different settings with no luck.

Hopefully this makes sense. Input and advice is appreciated.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E701i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page