post #2401 of 2405 Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
That said, the white spots don't usually show up until around 90 days.....
True on new sets. My first ones appeared at 30 days but were not very obvious except within about 5'. They grew much more obvious between 60 and 90 days and I returned the set to Costco. A refurb could have been returned for the white spot problem, like mine, and recycled as Vizio doesn't pay much attention to this and may not identify it as a defect in the refurb process. Fry's only allows 30 days for returns and the Vizio warranty on refurbs is only 90 days, so this should be very closely checked soon and ANY white spots at all, no matter if only small and singular on the white screen test, should be a red flag that the TV is headed for bigger problems. EVERY E701i-A3 demo unit I have seen at Best Buy, Costco, Frys and Sams Club has had numerous white spot defects visible with any light content.

Last edited by Bill Ball; Yesterday at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 2405 Old Today, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Signed up with the forum to discuss this issue. Ordered my first Vizio in January and returned it to the store the following month. It was initially perfect, but developed issues with the backlight after the first several weeks. I blamed myself because I noticed inconsistent lighting some time after wiping down the screen with a microfiber cloth...perhaps I applied too much pressure. Second TV purchased in February was also perfect initially until I noticed the white spots over the weekend. Googling issues with this model brought me here to discover it was a common problem. The second TV also developed a more pronounced flashlighting effect along the bottom edge after about 90 days. I could deal with the still relatively minor flashlighting, but not the white spots...once I spot them and I know they are there I am constantly looking for them.

Being early July, my 90 day return policy had expired at the store where I originally purchased the TV back in February, but a call to their corporate office requesting an exchange led to a store manager calling back and offering to override their policy. Major kudos for this and I will be following up with their headquarters to let them know. They didn't even make me try dealing with the manufacturer first. Installed the third TV last night and thankfully no issues with the picture even on full black/blue/white screens. Hoping for the best, but I confirmed I have another 90 day return policy with this one as well.

My theory, which I welcome other opinions on, is that these issues may develop from too much contact with the screen. I didn't touch the second screen at all following my issue with the first TV, but I found out my girlfriend would occasionally wipe the screen down with those Windex electronic wipes while cleaning. Perhaps too much pressure or a small amount of moisture could lead to these issues? Either way, we both have our fingers crossed and it's hands off with this screen!
post #2403 of 2405 Old Today, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I have never wiped my screen, no need so far, but have had 3 of these with spots. From what I've noticed they are always towards the bottom never the top, could it be stress damage from lifing it from the box to the stand or wall mount, you always have to grab the bottom???
post #2404 of 2405 Old Today, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I had the same initial thought as you, because I wiped the screen on the first Vizio I bought and I thought it might have been caused by that.
But I can confirm that is not the cause. On my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sets, I have NOT wiped the screens at all. All of the replacement sets still developed the bright spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_shackleford View Post
Signed up with the forum to discuss this issue. Ordered my first Vizio in January and returned it to the store the following month. It was initially perfect, but developed issues with the backlight after the first several weeks. I blamed myself because I noticed inconsistent lighting some time after wiping down the screen with a microfiber cloth...perhaps I applied too much pressure. Second TV purchased in February was also perfect initially until I noticed the white spots over the weekend. Googling issues with this model brought me here to discover it was a common problem. The second TV also developed a more pronounced flashlighting effect along the bottom edge after about 90 days. I could deal with the still relatively minor flashlighting, but not the white spots...once I spot them and I know they are there I am constantly looking for them.

Being early July, my 90 day return policy had expired at the store where I originally purchased the TV back in February, but a call to their corporate office requesting an exchange led to a store manager calling back and offering to override their policy. Major kudos for this and I will be following up with their headquarters to let them know. They didn't even make me try dealing with the manufacturer first. Installed the third TV last night and thankfully no issues with the picture even on full black/blue/white screens. Hoping for the best, but I confirmed I have another 90 day return policy with this one as well.

My theory, which I welcome other opinions on, is that these issues may develop from too much contact with the screen. I didn't touch the second screen at all following my issue with the first TV, but I found out my girlfriend would occasionally wipe the screen down with those Windex electronic wipes while cleaning. Perhaps too much pressure or a small amount of moisture could lead to these issues? Either way, we both have our fingers crossed and it's hands off with this screen!
post #2405 of 2405 Old Today, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by seneschal

I'm with you, would be great if he could do a true test because I'm of the belief there isn't a set out there 6 months old that doesn't have the problem. But at the same time I don't want him to find out he has the issue since he is very happy with the set.

Going on 7 months. Refurbished unit purchased in January of 2014.
Still no spots.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page