Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread - Page 84 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #2491 of 2753 Old 08-07-2014, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
I got the newer Q serial# with the different firmware. Haven't had time to watch it much after doing quick adjustment of settings.
Can you tell us which week was the build? (From the serial #).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 2753 Old 08-07-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by seneschal View Post
Can you tell us which week was the build? (From the serial #).

You tell me.

Serial # is 22LFTRNXDQ01298
post #2493 of 2753 Old 08-07-2014, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here is what is waiting for me when I get home. I love the way they delivered it upside down. I will post my serial number as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0636.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	201617  
seneschal likes this.
post #2494 of 2753 Old 08-07-2014, 03:04 PM

The serial number of my set is LFTRNXDQ2200380. Any idea when it was born? Thanks
post #2495 of 2753 Old 08-07-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardkingclint View Post
The serial number of my set is LFTRNXDQ2200380. Any idea when it was born? Thanks
did some digging and I think the 22 in both our serial numbers means it is from week 22 in 2014, so end of May. Has to be some of the last ones made.
seneschal likes this.
post #2496 of 2753 Old 08-07-2014, 04:16 PM

I wonder if anything was corrected on these versions? Any thoughts? Thanks
post #2497 of 2753 Old 08-07-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wonder if anything was corrected on these versions? Any thoughts? Thanks
Nothing that I'm aware of. Different firmware and menus means more than likely something inside changed though.
post #2498 of 2753 Old 08-07-2014, 05:57 PM

Fingers crossed that they changed the less than reliable panels. I am going to sit on mine for a few days and watch this forum. Hoping that they finally delivered a set that will last for you. Thanks for the information and keep us posted on how your most recent replacement behaves.
post #2499 of 2753 Old 08-09-2014, 07:53 AM

Any updates on your viewing experiences? I have yet to take mine out of the box. Local costco has the new E series 70 inch b model for 1547. It looks the same like the same PQ of the earlier version, but in the stores it is hard to tell.
post #2500 of 2753 Old 08-09-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
first off...anybody have issues with losing sound after rewinding / fast forwarding on their dvr service? I have charter with a Motorola box,not sure what model. hdmi from box to tv, optical cable audio out of tv to older sony 6.1 receiver. sound is lost randomly after skipping around. only solution is turning the tv off and on. it's frustrating, any others with similar issues?

secondly...bought this from best buy in mid February. already replaced it once after the first crapped out after 3 days. (read older posts). serial is q04 or something close. I'm developing a few of the dreaded white spots. been waiting for the b3 model to come up before asking for an exchange. I have a geek squad warranty on it through best buy as well. what are the chances I can get this replaced with the new b model through best buy? I'll obviously try expressing my concerns on another a model replacement, and show them evidence of the repeated scenarios.

just asking your guys opinions. thanks
post #2501 of 2753 Old 08-09-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Any updates on your viewing experiences? I have yet to take mine out of the box. Local costco has the new E series 70 inch b model for 1547. It looks the same like the same PQ of the earlier version, but in the stores it is hard to tell.
I think in general I would say it is about the same as my previous one. Overall panel uniformity is better and blacks appear darker, maybe the gamma is slightly different on this one, not sure. I still think the ESPN ticker looks worse on this one than my previous panel but otherwise motion appears almost slightly better. So overall I think they are pretty similar.

In theory with the FALD the new E series should be better. Motion should as well with backlight scanning. But the fact it doesn't appear to be a native 120hz panel I didn't like. And motion-wise it tested out the same as the 2013 series. If you want a 2014 set I would go for the M-series.
post #2502 of 2753 Old 08-09-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaughan06 View Post
first off...anybody have issues with losing sound after rewinding / fast forwarding on their dvr service? I have charter with a Motorola box,not sure what model. hdmi from box to tv, optical cable audio out of tv to older sony 6.1 receiver. sound is lost randomly after skipping around. only solution is turning the tv off and on. it's frustrating, any others with similar issues?

secondly...bought this from best buy in mid February. already replaced it once after the first crapped out after 3 days. (read older posts). serial is q04 or something close. I'm developing a few of the dreaded white spots. been waiting for the b3 model to come up before asking for an exchange. I have a geek squad warranty on it through best buy as well. what are the chances I can get this replaced with the new b model through best buy? I'll obviously try expressing my concerns on another a model replacement, and show them evidence of the repeated scenarios.

All I can say is good luck and worth a try.
post #2503 of 2753 Old 08-09-2014, 10:03 AM

I was thinking the same thing as Mvaughan. I have a 1 year warranty through mfr and second year through Dell. I was considering adding 3 more years via Squaretrade. This would hopefully get me exchanged for the new E series in a few years if need be.The old version with the white spots should be out of the system by then, one would think. I can't live with the white spots, every other weakness I would be fine with. Good luck MVaughan.
post #2504 of 2753 Old 08-09-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing W Mvaughan. I have a 1 year warranty through mfr and second year through Dell. I was considering adding 3 more years via Squaretrade. This would hopefully get me exchanged for the new E series in a few years if need be.The old version with the white spots should be out of the system by then, one would think. I can't live with the white spots, every other weakness I would be fine with. Good luck MVaughan.
thanks for the luck. I'm thinking since I have the GS warranty I can't imagine them giving me a refurb, or the A3 Model if they're out of them.
post #2505 of 2753 Old 08-09-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure what the issue was with that Custom mode but I created second one and it works fine now.

I will get around to watching it more tonight but initially this new Q panel seems to be pretty close to my old one. Seems to have better uniformity and less clouding but has more of the feathering effect along the entire bottom edge vs just in the corners on my old set. All of the basic settings (brightness, contrast, etc) are all at the exact same values after using a pattern disc. My initial thought on motion is it is slightly different but need more watching. The white on black ticker on ESPN looks more blurry than the old panel but tracking the flight of golf ball seems better. Will check out some NFL tonight. Test patterns showed no difference.
Sorted out the motion differences tonight watching a bunch of test patterns. On my old P set u couldn't notice and differences in low, med or high. Actual content the difference was there but patterns didn't show it. On the new Q set there is a very obvious difference between low and med, but high didn't seem any different than med. And low still has terrible motion resolution. So need to run at medium on this set as compared to low on the previous one to get highest motion resolution out of it.
post #2506 of 2753 Old 08-10-2014, 04:01 PM

I decided to unbox and hook it up. The brightness is very nice but the other settings have yet to be dialed in. The golf and football seem grainy when compared to the LED DLP. The reds also seem on the orange side. Some of the xbox one games seem great others dark and slightly crushed. I hooked up the laptop via VGA and the picture seems the best. Still on the fence about returning it. There is a slight flashlight coming from the bottom left corner.
post #2507 of 2753 Old 08-10-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Felt like i need to chime in on this thread, I bought a E701i-A3 in Feb 2013 had it replace by Vizio Nov-Dec for the horrid multiplying white spots. The replacement seem OK at first but it also started to develop the same white spots in July 2014. I just received a refund check from Square Trade yesterday. All they need was pictures of the white spots. So I'll continue to use the TV and cash the refund check.
post #2508 of 2753 Old 08-10-2014, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the tip warlord. If I do keep, squaretrade extension is a must.
post #2509 of 2753 Old 08-10-2014, 11:21 PM

Liked: 10
Anyone have any color settings, I just got my 2nd replacement in 1.5 years and this one has a new menu for color settings. I can't seem to get the colors as good as I did on my previous two tvs. It has professional picture/color tuner now.

thanks all
post #2510 of 2753 Old 08-11-2014, 09:21 AM

Yes, I had the same exact problem, I've posted about it before on this thread and someone else said it had something to do with the sound processing on the TV set. I didn't have this problem with a P set but when I was swapped with a Q set it was always an issue, even with the latest firmware upgrades. The only way around it was to use Component Video and Audit and not use HDMI. :-(

Quote:

post #2511 of 2753 Old 08-11-2014, 09:36 AM

Ok, Vizio finally called me back after I complained to the Better Business Bureau.
Based on another thread contributor's advice, I asked to be upgraded to an M set and even offered to pay for the difference but they refused to do so. They claimed back then they may have been out of the E sets so offered the M as a substitute, which I'm sure is a lie. Anyway, the only thing they will give me is a refund of my original purchase of $1,548. However, I already spent $300 getting the TV mounted and installed, and would have to box up the TV myself for them to pick up... Trying to see if it's worth the trouble to do all that work and then get another TV mounted.

On Costco's website I noticed they are offering a E700i-B3 for $1,479.99. Does anyone have it, and more importantly, is it made with the same LCD panel and will it develop the same bright spots problem?

Quote:
I think in general I would say it is about the same as my previous one. Overall panel uniformity is better and blacks appear darker, maybe the gamma is slightly different on this one, not sure. I still think the ESPN ticker looks worse on this one than my previous panel but otherwise motion appears almost slightly better. So overall I think they are pretty similar.

In theory with the FALD the new E series should be better. Motion should as well with backlight scanning. But the fact it doesn't appear to be a native 120hz panel I didn't like. And motion-wise it tested out the same as the 2013 series. If you want a 2014 set I would go for the M-series.
post #2512 of 2753 Old 08-11-2014, 07:06 PM

I received my replacement TV on June 26th. Today I noticed white spots on the replacement TV.

Put in a service request.

Arrgghhh!
post #2513 of 2753 Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 AM

I hope that all these defective panels get flushed from the supply sooner than later. Enjoying the TV so far, just cant seem to tune in the color correctly. BluRays look great HDTV is very hit and miss.
post #2514 of 2753 Old 08-13-2014, 05:16 AM

has anybody bothered to ask vizio if the new B model uses the same defective panel as the A? I'm sure they could give the info if customer support researched it a little. I'd hate to see everyone getting the B expecting the issue to be gone and it's not
post #2515 of 2753 Old 08-13-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
has anybody bothered to ask vizio if the new B model uses the same defective panel as the A? I'm sure they could give the info if customer support researched it a little. I'd hate to see everyone getting the B expecting the issue to be gone and it's not
Yes I did.
The CSR went and check with Tech Support and she came back and said the E700i-B3 is made by the same exact manufacturer as the E701i-A3, so they don't expect it to behave any differently.
She still denies that E701i-A3 has any known issues and that it was the first time she has heard of the "bright spots" problem.
post #2516 of 2753 Old 08-13-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Yes I did.
The CSR went and check with Tech Support and she came back and said the E700i-B3 is made by the same exact manufacturer as the E701i-A3, so they don't expect it to behave any differently.
She still denies that E701i-A3 has any known issues and that it was the first time she has heard of the "bright spots" problem.
crap. guess there goes that plan. but...she said it was the same manufacture, not necessarily the same panel. manufacture might have been aware of the issue and have fixed it quietly? that's the best we can hope. I can't imagine the same exact panel being used 3 years in a row right?
post #2517 of 2753 Old 08-13-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
crap. guess there goes that plan. but...she said it was the same manufacture, not necessarily the same panel. manufacture might have been aware of the issue and have fixed it quietly? that's the best we can hope. I can't imagine the same exact panel being used 3 years in a row right?
I specifically asked about the LCD panel on the E700i-B3 and she said, yes, it is the same exact panel manufacturer as the E701i-A3. However, given the knowledge level and training of these people who knows if she really asked the right person the right question. She said there has been no known bulletins on the bright spots problem!
She wouldn't even let me swap to the E700i-B3 anyway, she said it is a different "sub-model." They will give me a refund though, after four units swapped. Debating whether to write off the money spent on the mounting and to spend more to mount another set, ~$500 total.
post #2518 of 2753 Old 08-13-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wow, sorry to hear about so many issues with these panel's. I was hoping to save some money and go with these but looks like I'd be best going with the M series if I can ever find one in Canada.

Best of luck.

Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot
post #2519 of 2753 Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I specifically asked about the LCD panel on the E700i-B3 and she said, yes, it is the same exact panel manufacturer as the E701i-A3. However, given the knowledge level and training of these people who knows if she really asked the right person the right question. She said there has been no known bulletins on the bright spots problem!
She wouldn't even let me swap to the E700i-B3 anyway, she said it is a different "sub-model." They will give me a refund though, after four units swapped. Debating whether to write off the money spent on the mounting and to spend more to mount another set, ~$500 total.
yeah. I'm all too familiar with miscommunication with customer service and engineering. I'm waiting for best buy to show they have the B model online before I approach them. I'll probably look into the panel info a little more before then. maybe directly to the panel manufacture?
post #2520 of 2753 Old 08-13-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Third replacement set (Q) getting spots after 1 month...

This was a brand new set, not that I felt any comfort knowing this, but I honestly thought it might go a little longer before getting the white spots again. My last two replacements lasted about 3 months before I noticed any white spots. Anyone considering this TV, STAY AWAY! Engineers clearly screwed up on this model. Current owners better purchase a sqaretrade warranty while/if they still can. I'ts just a matter of time before your set gets the spots...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E701i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page