Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #2791 of 2824 Old 09-29-2015, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Nelson View Post
Hello to all. My first post here.

I may be thought of as a loon for purchasing such an outdated model, but I bought a refurbished E701i A3 last week from Walmart for $899.99 ($950 and change w/tax). I had a very limited amount of cash to spend, and I wanted to go LARGE.

Enjoying the TV very much so far, and after reading about the first 45 pages of this thread, I realize mine has only one very minor issue so far. At night, in a darkened room, in the far upper left hand corner of the display, if that area of the screen is completely black (during a letterboxed movie, for instance), is an area smaller than, and the same shape as a human fist that is just slightly gray, and not black. Barely noticeable, and only in the dark. So far none of the other issues I've read about, so I figure she's a keeper so far.

The only other "problem" was the fact that it only came with a one-sided remote without the qwerty keyboard. I resolved that issue by buying the qwerty remote from Amazon for $12.07 shipped.

Having only a 90 day warranty because it's a refurb, I have to decide next which extended warranty I'm going to purchase. Walmart offers a 3 year for $96, and I got an email from Vizio offering a 2 year through Square Trade for $108. I have no clue which would be the better warranty (other than length).

Anybody here have knowledge about these things?
Square Trade is a reputable company. I have it on 2 tv's. They sent a check for my full purchase price for my E701i-A3 due to the white spot issue & told me to keep the tv. Not sure who Wal-Mart uses or what their policy is.
Jeffrey J Nelson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2824 Old 10-05-2015, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, a little over six months ago back in March, Vizio relented and replaced my horribly spotted E701i_A3 with a refurbished model. I had been less than a month out of the extended 2-year warranty period, but I convinced them that the issue had arisen well within that period by pointing to a post with pics that I had made in this thread in mid-2014. Score one for AVS.

However, now just over six months with no issues, the refurbished set has crapped out completely -- no signal from any input, just a barely backlit screen when the power is on. Pressing the input or menu buttons on the set itself doesn't bring up anything on the screen either -- no input indication at the top, no menu, nothing -- so it's obviously something internal. I'll have to check, but whatever warranty Vizio provided with the refurbished set was no more than 90 days, if it was even that.

Screwed again. I'll contact them for tech support, and if that gets me nowhere, call them and read the riot act (politely). Who expects to replace highly expensive, wall-mounted 70" TVs every 2-3 years? That's insane.

If anyone has any ideas about fixing the screeen/signal problem, I'm all ears.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin86 View Post
Well my vizio died again. A few weeks after I originally bought it the thing went out on me. I lost the picture. They sent out a tech who replaced some parts and did not fix it. They ended up sending me a new TV and the whole process took about 5 weeks. At this point I opted for the extended warranty which was 4 years through square trade.

Yesterday it died again. Same symptoms as last time the screen just stopped working. When the lights are off in the room you can tell it has a slight blue hue but nothing else works. I called square trade and they are sending some parts out and then will schedule a tech to come out and replace them.

In the mean time I went to walmart and bought a cheap 42" LG and moved the couch up about 10 ft so that we can actually see it.
Just saw this -- same problem that I have. First the cluster of white spots galore, and now this on the refurbished. I note Square Trade came out to your place a couple of times to fix, but it appears they weren't able to at least twice. Were you ever able to get it fixed? I've since found out that the no-picture problem is a defective chipset, which I would imagine could be swapped out. I have no warranty on my refurbed replacement in any event, so it sounds like I'm SOL.

Last edited by JasW; 10-05-2015 at 11:29 AM.
post #2793 of 2824 Old 10-08-2015, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mine has locked up a few times while trying to access Netflix. Would not respond. Sometimes it would come back in a few minutes. Sometimes I had t cycle power, unplug from power for a few seconds. Then it would turn on and function.
post #2794 of 2824 Old 10-20-2015, 12:10 PM

Just got the white dots again. Original purchase April 2013 from Costco/Amex. The original TV went through a warranty switch with Vizio and I got a refurb, which they were nice enough to take down and hang back up for me. This time I am dealing with Squaretrade.

White dots and a dark spot.

Edit: Took about a week of trying to send the pictures to squaretrade. They are letting me keep the TV and replacing with a E70-C3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vizio E701i-A3 DotsDark.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	836.6 KB
ID:	1006609  

Last edited by travanx; 11-02-2015 at 04:47 PM. Reason: update
post #2795 of 2824 Old 11-06-2015, 03:29 PM

Hopefully an end to my saga...I am on my 5th now. All previous with white spots.
1st returned to costco within 90 days
2nd replaced by vizio less than 1yr
3rd was the refurbished replacement that arrived with the spots already
4th was the new replacement, a B model that lasted just over a year. Luckily I had purchased squaretrade warranty on it.
Currently on a new C3, replaced by squaretrade.
Dealing with squaretrade was hassle free and get to keep the old one which probably still has some time on it to use occasionally in back room. It isn't unwatchable.
I like the PQ on this new model.
post #2796 of 2824 Old 11-07-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavstang73 View Post
Hello everyone.

So I picked up an e701i-a3 with sound but no pic.
Got a replacement T-Con and it work for a couple of mins before going right back to blank screen no sound.

Now I'm wondering if it's a bad panel blowing the T-Con or I got another T-Con in the defective range. Pretty sure the eBay seller of the T-Con is just selling NOS boards that may have been made with the defective components.
This was a ZH T-Con. Anyone have any luck with a ZG board??? Or forget it? And chalk it up to a bad panel.
I know its a bit dated post, but your problem is likely at bad panel that is taking out the tcon card. The card itself is repairable as the failure is a couple of replaceable components (FET's iirc) but the real problem is the panel..... which in some cases can be SAVED. Recently, the forum over at badcaps.net discovered that these sets can have failed panel drivers. There sets of drivers on each side along with a set along the bottom. If one fails on the side, it "pulls" down the TCON card causing it to fail. The drivers ARE NOT replaceable but the badcaps guys found that you can remove (gently) them from the fail side and replace / repair the tcon and the set comes back to life with a good picture. This "operation" is a non-reversible operation so there is some "logic effort" needed to determine which side is bad before proceeding with the removal.... but a number of people have been successful on this series of vizio tvs. They are Sharp based panels (those sets also have a similar problem less the TCON issue because sharp sets use a different tcon design). Anyways, if you set is still around looking for a solution, this might be an option.
post #2797 of 2824 Old 11-08-2015, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well here we are with my second defective E70 in 18 months. Last time the sound board fried and this time I have dozens of red green and blue visible pixels, some flashing and some fixed. Since I am out of warrantly on the "new" replacement, Vizio cares not a bit. Time to move on to Samsung I guess. Best Buy promised a reminder email for an extended and of course I didnt see if so I am SOL. Not too happy, time to light up the Social Media I guess.

Anyone ever see an issue with bunches of pixels visible - its not a cable issue and seems isolated to the HDMI inputs as only the inputs with HDMI connected have this problem - no problem on apps or on input that has no connection. Support had me do a power cycle to no avail and then they signed off and gave me the finger.
post #2798 of 2824 Old 11-09-2015, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 30
try setting your source device to output 720p and see if that helps.
post #2799 of 2824 Old 11-10-2015, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm sure folks will continue to have the white spot problem, so here's my encounter with Vizio support.

My TV started developing white spots several months ago, but it's more of a casual set for us, so I didn't think much of it. Lately, they seem to be multiplying and a visit to AVS tells me that it could potentially get worse. I purchased the TV in 12/2013, so I'm well outside the standard warranty range.

I contacted support, provided my model, serial, date of purchase and proof of purchase. With no questions asked, I received the following response, which seemed like it was probably copied/pasted from somewhere. As several have noted, Vizio is aware of this issue and will honor it out-of-warranty:

Quote:
You qualify for a replacement unit. This will be an on site swap in approximately 7-10 business days. We will ship the TV to a local facility in your area. Once they receive the unit, you will be contacted by them to set up a delivery date and time. This will typically be Monday through Friday 9am - 5pm. If the TV is wall mounted less than 5 feet from the floor, we can have them remove the TV from the wall mount for you. We will need to indicate in the order that it is wall mounted or the delivery agent will not remove it from the wall mount. The local delivery company will bring the unit into your home. They'll unbox it and power it up, but they will not set up or reconnect any cables or accessories. When you receive the replacement unit, please make sure the Delivery Agents power the TV on and you fully inspect the unit for damages or defects. If the unit is damaged or defective you need to refuse delivery and contact VIZIO immediately. If you accept a damaged or defective unit this may void your warranty and may prevent us from shipping another unit to you. When you receive your replacement there will be a recertified sticker on the box. This is a product that has left our warehouse new, but was returned for whatever reason. This unit goes through a strict Re-Certification process, and is held as a replacement unit for instances like this. It is like-new in all aspects; however we cannot sell it as new any longer. The replacement comes with either a 90 day warranty or the remaining balance of the manufacturer's warranty, whichever is longer. You are eligible to purchase an extended warranty for this replacement unit before that warranty expires. The model that you will get is the E701i-A3-3 which is the newer revised version of the model you have all the specs are the same.
Apparently I have an A3-1. Based on the responses from here, it doesn't seem to matter which revision of the A3 you receive, they all tend to develop the problem down the road. I do not have much hope for the A3-3 replacement. If the past tells us anything, it's that the set may be fine for many months, but will eventually have the same problem.

When I pointed this out to the customer service rep, I was told repeatedly that the new set wouldn't have this problem or they wouldn't send it out. Again, I had to reinforce that this is not something that happens the second you turn the TV on.

I asked that they replace it with a different, equal model. I noted the E70-C3, but would be fine with a B too. I just want something I don't have to constantly worry about. I was told that the A3-3 is the replacement and there's nothing they can do.

I continued pressing the issue, mentioning the multiple examples all over the Internet, etc. She would not move, so I asked that it be noted on my account that I gave Vizio the opportunity to rectify the issue now, because it likely wasn't a question of IF but WHEN I would have a problem with the replacement. I do not intend to buy the extended warranty coverage to fix a known manufacturing defect (she said I would not be covered for the spots after 90 days on the replacement). I realize that they can't cover these TVs forever, but when there's a very real, known issue -- so much that they extended the warranty for it -- that indicates something far more than a chance problem.

Anyway, after asking her to make notes and basically insuring she was going to be held accountable if I have to contact support again, she did finally agree to submit a request for a different model. That said, she also made it clear that it was only a request and there was no guarantee that it would be approved. I'm not holding out much hope. She very well could have said that to shut me up, as I haven't gotten any kind of notification that the "request" was even made.

As of right now, the A3-3 is still on the way. Does anyone know if you can purchase the Squaretrade warranty on the replacements they send? If I'm going to give someone money for a warranty, it's going to be the company that will do more than send me defective set after defective set.

If the problem wasn't inherently the TV model itself, I would have been very pleased with Vizio's support. They offered to replace it quickly. As it stands, however, I'm not happy with their solution on this particular issue thus far.

I'll post in a few days after I know the fate of the "request" and my replacement -- whatever it may be -- has shipped.

Last edited by LugNutX; 11-10-2015 at 02:26 PM.
post #2800 of 2824 Old 11-10-2015, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 82
SquareTrade May warrant it but you may have to buy it throght Vizio. Vizio has some deal with SquareTrade that offers their warranties that you can't get through the Squaretrade site directly.
post #2801 of 2824 Old 11-11-2015, 10:28 AM

Liked: 15
Well, just as I suspected, they are not going to replace my A3 with anything except another A3.

Quote:
I do apologize, but it looks like we cannot replace the TV with a different model. We are replacing the TV outside of the VIZIO manufacturer warranty as a courtesy and it would need to be replaced with the current model that is set for the replacement.
I do like how they try to spin the fact that they're replacing a known manufacturing defect "as a courtesy". They are replacing because otherwise they might be facing a class-action.

What I don't understand is why their replacement is ANOTHER A3. This is clearly an issue with all sets of this model, why would you replace a faulty TV with another faulty TV? Are they hoping that this issue occurs just far enough down the road that they don't have to cover me anymore? Seems shady...

So I guess I'll take my replacement A3 and cross my fingers that I get the only set ever manufactured that doesn't end up with white spots.

As much as it pains me to spend any money to fix their problem, I'll probably opt for the extended Squaretrade warranty on the replacement. People seem to have better luck dealing with them for a replacement/refund if (or when) the need arises.
post #2802 of 2824 Old 11-14-2015, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 75
It will get spots - I promise
post #2803 of 2824 Old 11-23-2015, 07:43 AM

Just a coda to my sad and sorry tale. The defective chipset/no picture problem in my replacement TV was obviously irreparable, and the replacement TV only had a 90-day warranty (the original extended warranted for the white-spotted TV having already expired).

No recourse. Just a giant oversized piece of dead weight not much more than 2½ years after purchase.

I've replaced the unit with a 65" Samsung -- the 75" inch Samsung was almost double the price and would have been a tight (though not impossible) fit. I'm delighted by it, as I have been with the 47" Samsung in my study, which I've had for almost 5 years without a problem.

Vizio deserves to go out of business. They are obviously a POS company that makes garbage products. I hope all of their executives end up living in empty refrigerator cartons under an interstate overpass.
post #2804 of 2824 Old 11-23-2015, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow talk about your first-world problems lol. "When my screen is white I see white spots!" Vizio must be POS! Yea, I have the same TV, and yes, it has the same issues, but guess what? You get what you pay for and Vizio makes decent CHEAP products. Just a thought...
post #2805 of 2824 Old 11-23-2015, 05:33 PM

Liked: 12
Oh, by the way a new firmware update just came out...
post #2806 of 2824 Old 11-24-2015, 06:13 AM

Just saw that the new firmware had been installed v2.0.45. Does anyone know what is included in this firmware update?
post #2807 of 2824 Old 12-01-2015, 06:12 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ers26 View Post
Just saw that the new firmware had been installed v2.0.45. Does anyone know what is included in this firmware update?
I'm wondering as well. I just got it this morning on the E701-A3. Nothing on my E601-A3 yet.

Edit: the 60" got it while I was at work.

Last edited by btswein; 12-01-2015 at 07:00 PM.
post #2808 of 2824 Old 12-05-2015, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
If you have a Fry's around you this tv is on sale today with Saturday's promo code for 799.99

Origin - mrmike929
PSN - mrmike929
Steam - mike929
post #2809 of 2824 Old 12-05-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike929 View Post
If you have a Fry's around you this tv is on sale today with Saturday's promo code for 799.99
Saw that, and my first stop to check it out was AVS Forums. I've been in the market for a 70" for a few months now but I think I'll pass on this one. Love this place.
mike929 likes this.
post #2810 of 2824 Old 12-05-2015, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laketravis View Post
Saw that, and my first stop to check it out was AVS Forums. I've been in the market for a 70" for a few months now but I think I'll pass on this one. Love this place.
I did the same thing.

Origin - mrmike929
PSN - mrmike929
Steam - mike929
post #2811 of 2824 Old 12-06-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indept View Post
Square Trade is a reputable company. I have it on 2 tv's. They sent a check for my full purchase price for my E701i-A3 due to the white spot issue & told me to keep the tv. Not sure who Wal-Mart uses or what their policy is.
Hi, glad to hear the Square Trade warranty worked out for you. I too have the spotting issue on my E701i_A3 that I purchased in November of 2012. The TV is covered by Square Trade through November of 2016. What was the claim process like? How did you start the ball rolling with Square Trade?
post #2812 of 2824 Old 12-09-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Hi, glad to hear the Square Trade warranty worked out for you. I too have the spotting issue on my E701i_A3 that I purchased in November of 2012. The TV is covered by Square Trade through November of 2016. What was the claim process like? How did you start the ball rolling with Square Trade?

I had the same great experience with Square Trade, also due to the infamous white spots. I started a claim via their website and uploaded some pics of the spots, and if I remember correctly they called me (I do remember speaking to someone) and offered to either replace the set or refund the original cost of the TV and I got to keep the TV, which is a no brainer. They even do refunds by PayPal and the money hit my Paypal account that day or the next day, it was quick and couldn't have been easier.
post #2813 of 2824 Old 12-09-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama J View Post
I had the same great experience with Square Trade, also due to the infamous white spots. I started a claim via their website and uploaded some pics of the spots, and if I remember correctly they called me (I do remember speaking to someone) and offered to either replace the set or refund the original cost of the TV and I got to keep the TV, which is a no brainer. They even do refunds by PayPal and the money hit my Paypal account that day or the next day, it was quick and couldn't have been easier.
So, I reached out to Square Trade earlier this week to file a claim because of the white spots issue and the entire claims process was pretty painless. Long story short, I get to keep my old E70-A3 and they are sending me a new E70-C3 as a replacement. Money well spent on the warranty!
xnappo likes this.
post #2814 of 2824 Old 12-10-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
So, I reached out to Square Trade earlier this week to file a claim because of the white spots issue and the entire claims process was pretty painless. Long story short, I get to keep my old E70-A3 and they are sending me a new E70-C3 as a replacement. Money well spent on the warranty!
Nice! I can't remember if they offered that or not, they may have. But I just took the money. Either way it's worth every penny for the warranty!
post #2815 of 2824 Old 12-22-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntspoon View Post
10 months for me. We are just lucky I guess. Not a single spot for me.
I visit this thread every once in a while just to remind myself I apparently got very lucky. 19 months in and picture is still as clean as day one.
post #2816 of 2824 Old 12-23-2015, 10:50 AM

I recently engaged the SquareTrade process (purchased via Costco) after my white spot issue has started to worsen. Reading this thread I realized it was stupid not to fix this sooner rather than later.

The process was simple. They offered me the Vizio E70-C3. I countered asking if they would offer me the value of the insurance contract and they said it wouldn't be possible as it was my first problem. They did offer a slightly more expensive Sharp model as an alternative - but the Vizio seemed like the better TV.

I keep the decaying E701i-A3 and the SquareTrade warranty remains in place for the remainder of my original term (overlapping the new 1-year manufacturer warranty that comes with the replacement model).

I would have preferred the cash money - but am still very satisfied with the service. I would just be aware that there does seem to be some variability in the process as they pass you from Claims to Replacements to Delivery departments.
post #2817 of 2824 Old 12-27-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
So, my saga continues. I finally found the time to unbox the replacement E70-C3. I took the old E70-A3 down from the family room and mounted it in my basement rec area then mounted the new TV in my family room. On Christmas Eve I noticed an issue with the new TV. There is a 10 to 12 in section along the left side bezel where there is significant light bleed through. It sort of looks like that section of bezel is lit up and is very distracting. The day after Christmas I called Square Trade again and reported the issue, supplying photos, etc. They will be getting back to me on Monday with return and replacement information. Wish me luck!
post #2818 of 2824 Old 01-01-2016, 10:35 AM

I got mine in early 2013 through CostCo, and I purchased the SquareTrade policy, and it's a good thing I did. I've been seeing the white spots along the lower quarter for a while, but I misplaced my policy and receipt until recently.

I managed to open a case, get the photos sent, and they immediately said it's unfixable, so they're sending me a V70-C3, no questions. The special warranty coverage carries over ot the new TV, thankfully.

My only concern is that the stand that Costco sold me may not hold the new TV, since the A3 has a pedestal mount and the C3 has two feet to the sides.

post #2819 of 2824 Old 01-03-2016, 11:11 PM

I had the same issue with the mount, my stand was not as wide as the new legs, so I used the following:
https://www.shopjimmy.com/universal-...screen-tvs.htm
It's very stable, you might look for similar.
post #2820 of 2824 Old 01-09-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAdventure View Post
My only concern is that the stand that Costco sold me may not hold the new TV, since the A3 has a pedestal mount and the C3 has two feet to the sides.

I already have the replacement TV. I got a call Thursday after 6PM from XPO Logistics saying there was a delivery from Amazon, and the guys would be coming on January 8th from 6-9 AM, aka the next morning. They called me right before 7AM, and they set it up and were gone by 8AM. The pedestal legs are closer to the edge than I'd like, but they do work, so I might invest in those feet CHRBRO mentions.

Square Trade never told me any of the shipping info, so I guess they just ordered it from Amazon and that was that.

It is a new E70-C3 model, with the simpler remote. The old one seems to work, but I haven't tried out the keypad, yet. I suspect it will be fine.

Now, I'll probably just work out selling the old one, telling them about the spots and sell it as is (which isn't horrible). How much should I list it for? $300? $400?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread