Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #2791 of 2793 Unread 09-29-2015, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Nelson View Post
Hello to all. My first post here.

I may be thought of as a loon for purchasing such an outdated model, but I bought a refurbished E701i A3 last week from Walmart for $899.99 ($950 and change w/tax). I had a very limited amount of cash to spend, and I wanted to go LARGE.

Enjoying the TV very much so far, and after reading about the first 45 pages of this thread, I realize mine has only one very minor issue so far. At night, in a darkened room, in the far upper left hand corner of the display, if that area of the screen is completely black (during a letterboxed movie, for instance), is an area smaller than, and the same shape as a human fist that is just slightly gray, and not black. Barely noticeable, and only in the dark. So far none of the other issues I've read about, so I figure she's a keeper so far.

The only other "problem" was the fact that it only came with a one-sided remote without the qwerty keyboard. I resolved that issue by buying the qwerty remote from Amazon for $12.07 shipped.

Having only a 90 day warranty because it's a refurb, I have to decide next which extended warranty I'm going to purchase. Walmart offers a 3 year for $96, and I got an email from Vizio offering a 2 year through Square Trade for $108. I have no clue which would be the better warranty (other than length).

Anybody here have knowledge about these things?
Square Trade is a reputable company. I have it on 2 tv's. They sent a check for my full purchase price for my E701i-A3 due to the white spot issue & told me to keep the tv. Not sure who Wal-Mart uses or what their policy is.
Sponsored Links
post #2792 of 2793 Unread 10-05-2015, 06:59 AM
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, a little over six months ago back in March, Vizio relented and replaced my horribly spotted E701i_A3 with a refurbished model. I had been less than a month out of the extended 2-year warranty period, but I convinced them that the issue had arisen well within that period by pointing to a post with pics that I had made in this thread in mid-2014. Score one for AVS.

However, now just over six months with no issues, the refurbished set has crapped out completely -- no signal from any input, just a barely backlit screen when the power is on. Pressing the input or menu buttons on the set itself doesn't bring up anything on the screen either -- no input indication at the top, no menu, nothing -- so it's obviously something internal. I'll have to check, but whatever warranty Vizio provided with the refurbished set was no more than 90 days, if it was even that.

Screwed again. I'll contact them for tech support, and if that gets me nowhere, call them and read the riot act (politely). Who expects to replace highly expensive, wall-mounted 70" TVs every 2-3 years? That's insane.

If anyone has any ideas about fixing the screeen/signal problem, I'm all ears.

Originally Posted by slammin86 View Post
Well my vizio died again. A few weeks after I originally bought it the thing went out on me. I lost the picture. They sent out a tech who replaced some parts and did not fix it. They ended up sending me a new TV and the whole process took about 5 weeks. At this point I opted for the extended warranty which was 4 years through square trade.

Yesterday it died again. Same symptoms as last time the screen just stopped working. When the lights are off in the room you can tell it has a slight blue hue but nothing else works. I called square trade and they are sending some parts out and then will schedule a tech to come out and replace them.

In the mean time I went to walmart and bought a cheap 42" LG and moved the couch up about 10 ft so that we can actually see it.
Just saw this -- same problem that I have. First the cluster of white spots galore, and now this on the refurbished. I note Square Trade came out to your place a couple of times to fix, but it appears they weren't able to at least twice. Were you ever able to get it fixed? I've since found out that the no-picture problem is a defective chipset, which I would imagine could be swapped out. I have no warranty on my refurbed replacement in any event, so it sounds like I'm SOL.

Last edited by JasW; 10-05-2015 at 11:29 AM.
post #2793 of 2793 Unread Today, 03:27 PM
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mine has locked up a few times while trying to access Netflix. Would not respond. Sometimes it would come back in a few minutes. Sometimes I had t cycle power, unplug from power for a few seconds. Then it would turn on and function.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - E701i by