Vizio E701i-A3 Owners Thread - Page 95 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #2821 of 2825 Old 07-21-2016, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Repair being done right now

Brighter pixels along the bottom 1/10th of the screen. Actually, there are about fifty of them in all, some of them clustered together. Additionally, the backlight for the lower left corner flickered and eventually just went dim.

I had an extended warranty through Sam's Club. It expires towards the end of 2017. Starting to wonder if I should go with a Sams Club Plus membership to extend the warranty by one year.

Will an upgrade to a Plus membership retroactively increase a warranty, or do you have to of had the Plus membership while you purchased the warranty to get the automatic one year extension?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160709_172914_hdr.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	1558089  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 2825 Old 07-21-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccorm View Post
Brighter pixels along the bottom 1/10th of the screen. Actually, there are about fifty of them in all, some of them clustered together. Additionally, the backlight for the lower left corner flickered and eventually just went dim.

I had an extended warranty through Sam's Club. It expires towards the end of 2017. Starting to wonder if I should go with a Sams Club Plus membership to extend the warranty by one year.

Will an upgrade to a Plus membership retroactively increase a warranty, or do you have to of had the Plus membership while you purchased the warranty to get the automatic one year extension?
They are going to repair it? That is really surprising. It would be better for everyone involved just to give you a new set.

xnappo
post #2823 of 2825 Old 07-21-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
They are going to repair it? That is really surprising. It would be better for everyone involved just to give you a new set.
They had something much more dramatic in mind, of course...

So, last monday, before doing anything, they demanded that I email them pictures of what all the TV was doing. I did. They eventually said, "Okay, we'll schedule this for repair." So I didn't hear back from them in about a week, so I called, and they said, "Okay, we've ordered some parts. Call back the end of next week."

Then, this morning, a guy called and wanted to come over and repair the TV. He said he had parts. He also required that we remove the TV from the wall before he arrived. So, did all that. He arrived, and said he was required to play a custom DVD and take some pictures. He did that, then got on the phone.

So, evidently, they sent him with a main board and two other components (how they arrived at those being the correct parts for this issue, I'll never know). Then the people on the phone told him that this will actually be a replacement. (So I didn't need to pull it off of the wall after all.)

So, that is where it is at. Any good tips on handling the conversation on replacing the set? I strongly prefer to avoid another E701i-A3 due to these famous backlight and white spot issues.

Warranty was through Sam's Club, through the "SC Solution Center".

Last edited by jmccorm; 07-21-2016 at 12:06 PM. Reason: minor typo
post #2824 of 2825 Old 07-21-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccorm View Post

So, that is where it is at. Any good tips on handling the conversation on replacing the set? I strongly prefer to avoid another E701i-A3 due to these famous backlight and white spot issues.

Warranty was through Sam's Club, through the "SC Solution Center".
Yeash - but about par for the course - such a pain!

But the good thing is now I *highly* doubt they have any E701i-A3s to pawn off on people as I think they have learned their lesson. If not you can point them to this thread and try to escalate. My last replacement was with a 2014 E-series model and it is holding up well and is a better set in general.

xnappo
post #2825 of 2825 Old 07-25-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
But the good thing is now I *highly* doubt they have any E701i-A3s to pawn off on people as I think they have learned their lesson. If not you can point them to this thread and try to escalate.
Final update:

I received an automated call. They said the TV could not be repaired and they're cutting me a check for the full purchase price within 10-15 days. So that's probably the best possible outcome. Not bad, Sam's Club!

I'll see if I can't repair the dim area on my own. I've also gone to eBay and ordered a salvaged backlight LED strip for this model. It'll only cost me $50 to give it a try.

Last edited by jmccorm; 07-25-2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: minor typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E550va 55 Inch Lcd Hdtv , Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page