Samsung UN55D6000SFXZA died <1 year after buying. Concerns department? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-23-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yesterday (Thanksgiving) I woke up to a blinking red led letting me know my Samsung UN55D6000SFXZA 55" was having issues. I went through the steps of taking the batteries out of all the remotes, turning the tv off and letting it sit for an hour. Ect. Tele is still dead. I called up Samsung and we checked the warranty, it expires in 4 days - the 27th. But then it got me thinking about the warranty and extending it. I didn't get the extended warranty when I bought this, jury is still out if I made a mistake with that or not. But I can't help but think to myself - shouldn't a television last longer than a year anyway? Or is this just a case of bad luck?

Anyway I jumped on Samsung's tech support chat and something jumped out at me during the conversation after asking about extending the warranty:

Tech:
I would like to inform you that, all Samsung TV's have a one year standard warranty, for parts and labor, from the date of purchase. If there is any issue within this specific period of time, you will receive the free service.

After thorough research, it was determined that only specific models exhibited a slightly higher-than-normal failure rate. Although your TV has similar symptoms, research indicates that this is due to normal wear and tear.

The part that has appears to have failed in your unit is not the same exact part that has been determined to fail at a higher-than-normal rate, even though the visible symptom is similar. The symptom can help indicate which part needs to be replaced, but it doesn’t mean that the particular part was defective from manufacturing. Any parts can fail after time as a result of normal wear and tear.

Wait... normal wear and tear on a set a year old? I don't know about you guys but I really don't want to spend a $1,000 every year on a television. Is this a Samsung issue or just how televisions are built now issue? It kind of blows my mind I had a Hitachi 52" rear projection television ($699 on sale at circuit city) that lasted me 7 years with no issue until I left it outside for too long on our back patio. But yet a television I paid $1,250 dollars for last year has normal wear and tear after 12 months?

Also he mentioned this below:

Tech: Would you mind holding a few minutes while I escalate this to concern department?

Maybe I'm venting here but it kind of sounded condescending? Has anyone else heard of a concern department?

Cheers smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-23-2012, 04:27 PM

Liked: 14
I'm not sure what you're looking for from this group, as you stated that your set will be repaired under the one year warranty.

BTW, had you registered the set, Samsung extends the warranty by 3 months (total of 15 months).

I am a retired electrical engineer; repair HDTV/Monitors on a part time basis, currently own 4 Samsung HDTVs of which none have failed and I have never purchased extended warranty.

The reason why; is because with electronic equipment, the vast number of failures occur early on, known in the industry as infant mortality and will be covered within standard warranty.

Keep in mind that a typical set consists of 500+ components (e.g. resistors, inductors, capacitors, transistors, integrated circuits, connectors) plus 2-3X as many solder joints, so even with the best manufacturing process, quality control etc., failures happen.

When you purchase a tier 1 product, you do pay some premium, which is includes R&D, company owned manufacturing, support logistics etc..

When you purchase a tier 2 product, it's the wild, wild West. (e.g. finding anyone to even answer a telephone, assembled using a hodge podge of out-sourced assemblies, little or no documentation, finding repair parts etc.)

TV repair today, is nothing more than diagnosis and replacement of a failed board of many components.

For whatever reason, by far, Samsung has been the #1 producer of HDTVs for many years, which means that boards to repair older models, are readily available (e.g. usually from damaged panels which are prohibitive to repair) .
post #3 of 3 Old 03-17-2014, 12:31 PM

Liked: 10

I am having the same issue with my TV same model # and I purchased it on 11/2011 from Conn's and it is out I really don't understand this I have a Toshiba floor model 45" TV that I have had for 12 years and have not had any issues with it. We are in the process of taking this "Samsung" to the repair shop due to the fact that we don't have a warrently I really can't understand that a television of this magnitude can just simply go out.  I am very disappointed in the "Samsung" product

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page