Official LG 55LM4700 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 60 Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just purchased this a TV yesterday and so far, so good. I've used some of your setting recommendations and it look good. Thank you! 2 problems I'm having; 1) I have a wii console hooked up to it and when the wii is turned on, it displays in black and white..any thoughts? Its hooked up with regular a/v cables in component 1.

2) I also have a. LG bluray hooked up using a HDMI connection and I get no picture...Is there something I have to set or configure? Or is there a specific HDMI cable I must use? Any help is appreciated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post

Not sure, didn't even use the BR player because I have a PS3.
As for the brightness, when you go to 3D mode it cranks up the brightness to compensate for the glasses. It basically takes your 2D settings and cranks up the backlight - may tinker with color controls too, not sure. So if you want it dimmer in 3D set it dimmer in 2D settings. This involes some juggling of settings to get ones that work for 2D and leave yourself some that work for 3D also.

Seems silly to me, I set the backlight to 0 in 2d and it still cranks it up to full blast in 3d... I don't need super user settings but come on LG, this is terrible..
post #33 of 60 Old 12-13-2012, 09:36 PM

Bought the lm4600 55" today for $799
post #34 of 60 Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post

As for my research it seems like we are stuck with the 3D warning message... it's going to be a huge pain and honestly might end up being a deal breaker more than the scanlines and crosstalk....

It's right in the 3d menu... Select your 3D setting (SBS, OU, etc), then on the screen it tells you to put your glasses on select the "Q.Menu 3D setting" and the setting for 3D on start up is right there.... for someone who is obviously fairly knowledgeable I can't believe you missed that, iy is one of the first things I found on my first 3D tv biggrin.gif Also, this option, and original problem, seemed to disappear with the software update.

Also, you don't need 120Hz for 3D on passive, it's a non issue since there are no shutters involved (short answer), feel free to read all the active/passive crazy fan boy threads in here debating the technology... it's ugly.
post #35 of 60 Old 12-14-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboypup View Post

Bought the lm4600 55" today for $799

Where at? Fry's? If so their pricing changes on Friday.... We have the 47" and really like it but are considering upgrading while still in the return period.
post #36 of 60 Old 12-14-2012, 03:15 AM

Walmart and Frys ... sears price matched
post #37 of 60 Old 12-21-2012, 05:18 PM

Since this TV come with SoundBar, anyone kind enough to tell me how I can connect that SoundBar to the AVR since that sound bar only accept Optical input (I got Pioneer VSX-1122K)? Can I use that Sound Bar as center channel?
post #38 of 60 Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 AM

Bought this TV a month ago.

The sound from the TV is not that good, mostly due to the slim design, and I don't mind much since I will use HT setup if I need good sound

It showed uneven backlit on all 4 corners. However, after a month of use, it is not that obvious now

For the price I paid, I am satisfied. No LED 3D TV has come to a price near that
post #39 of 60 Old 12-28-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl768s View Post

Since this TV come with SoundBar, anyone kind enough to tell me how I can connect that SoundBar to the AVR since that sound bar only accept Optical input (I got Pioneer VSX-1122K)? Can I use that Sound Bar as center channel?

I don't think you can use the soundbar as center.

Since you have AVR, I assume you have a decent center and a HT setup, which most likely sound better
post #40 of 60 Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboypup View Post

Walmart and Frys ... sears price matched

How's the glare on this tv?
post #41 of 60 Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 PM

Been using the TV about a month (we have it mounted above our fireplace, with the sound bar mounted directly below the TV.) We have energy saver turned off (much brighter picture) but haven't played with any other settings.

Couple Questions

1. Any way to control the soundbar volume from the TV, rather than from the special soundbar remote? (Its another remote to keep track of....)
2. Is there anyway to disable to "Please put on your 3D glasses and press OK" pop up?

Thanks in advance!
post #42 of 60 Old 01-10-2013, 11:01 AM

I just got one of these an can't stop that little list thing from coming up in top left corner can anyone help it driving me mad lol
post #43 of 60 Old 01-11-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey04 View Post

Been using the TV about a month (we have it mounted above our fireplace, with the sound bar mounted directly below the TV.) We have energy saver turned off (much brighter picture) but haven't played with any other settings.

Couple Questions

1. Any way to control the soundbar volume from the TV, rather than from the special soundbar remote? (Its another remote to keep track of....)
2. Is there anyway to disable to "Please put on your 3D glasses and press OK" pop up?

Thanks in advance!

1. The volume controls on the bottom of the TV remote work for the soundbar. Only thing I don't like is you lose the onscreen volume level but is what it is.
2. See Danbfree's post above.
post #44 of 60 Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 AM

Just nabbed one of these from Tiger Direct. I'll have to try the calibrations listed earlier and see what happens. Thanks!
post #45 of 60 Old 02-06-2013, 01:21 PM

I picked up the 55LM4600 from Tiger Direct (via Amazon) last week and it arrived last night. I got it for $799 + $29 shipping. It was a great deal IMO. And purchasing through Amazon I was able to avoid sales tax, so I saved a good $44 there. smile.gif

I set everything up last night. It definitely needs some picture tweaking right out of the box. I used some of the calibration settings found in the 47LM4600 thread and slightly tweaked some of the settings myself and I managed to get a picture I am very happy with! I'm sure I'll be making minor adjustments as I go (I'm debating picking up the WOW disc), but so far so good! And the internal speakers aren't THAT bad. Sure, they aren't going to blow you away, but for regular TV viewing at moderate levels, the sound is quite adequate IMO.
post #46 of 60 Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 AM

I have a couple questions. Please bare with me, I'm a newb when it comes to this high end TV game. smile.gif

1. Is there anywhere I can go to get calibration settings for individual viewing modes? It seems like it would make sense to have settings for the different things I watch. One custom setting for regular television viewing, one setting for sports, one for movies, and one for games. I know there are built in viewing settings for these different modes, but none of the preset settings seem very good. I have taken some calibration settings from a couple threads on here and I have calibrated the "Standard" setting to a picture that looks great for regular TV viewing. I think it may be beneficial to tweak the other presets for different viewing occasions?

2. Is there any way to get the TV to automatically switch picture modes when you switch inputs? Like when I switch over the my Xbox on HDMI1 it automatically switches to "Game" mode, etc.

3. Has anyone else had trouble updating the firmware over the ethernet connection? I know the connection is working just fine. When I go to update, it says it has the most recent firmware installed, but I know that isn't the case. I tried following the steps and manually installing it from my USB hard drive, but it wouldn't read it. Not a big deal, I'll just go and buy a cheap flash drive tonight...just thought it was strange.
post #47 of 60 Old 02-14-2013, 03:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, I just got this TV and so far so good, except for 1 issue. Has anyone got this set to work with an HTPC? I have the 55lm4600 and I am trying to connect my computer to the HDMI/DVI 1 port, but I get the "no signal" message as soon as windows starts. I have tried various settings, but have not got it to work yet. If anyone does have a computer displaying on this TV, please tell me what resolution and refresh settings you choose. As an FYI, I can see the bios and startup messages on the TV, so the physical connection is fine. But, when Windows starts, the TV goes blank and the LG Logo with the No Signal message appears. Anyone have any advice? I am using a Ati Radeon 5450 video card and the DVI out (if that matters).

Thanks
-Hal
post #48 of 60 Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post

It's right in the 3d menu... Select your 3D setting (SBS, OU, etc), then on the screen it tells you to put your glasses on select the "Q.Menu 3D setting" and the setting for 3D on start up is right there.... for someone who is obviously fairly knowledgeable I can't believe you missed that, iy is one of the first things I found on my first 3D tv biggrin.gif Also, this option, and original problem, seemed to disappear with the software update.

I just saw this... are you saying this option went away with the firmware update? Because I could have swore I saw this option at one point but it's not there anymore... my only quick options are 3d picture correction, 3d depth and 3d viewpoint.... no 3d on startup...

I think when I saw this I thought it meant would the TV start in 3D mode instead of 2D mode and that seemed like a stupid setting....

It sounds almost like if you turned it off when you had access to the setting it stuck after a firmware upgrade but for those of us who upgraded with it on we are stuck with it on frown.gif

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #49 of 60 Old 02-18-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobail View Post

Hi, I just got this TV and so far so good, except for 1 issue. Has anyone got this set to work with an HTPC? I have the 55lm4600 and I am trying to connect my computer to the HDMI/DVI 1 port, but I get the "no signal" message as soon as windows starts. I have tried various settings, but have not got it to work yet. If anyone does have a computer displaying on this TV, please tell me what resolution and refresh settings you choose. As an FYI, I can see the bios and startup messages on the TV, so the physical connection is fine. But, when Windows starts, the TV goes blank and the LG Logo with the No Signal message appears. Anyone have any advice? I am using a Ati Radeon 5450 video card and the DVI out (if that matters).

Thanks
-Hal

I was able to get this TV working with my Windows 8 HTPC without much of an issue. Using the HDMI out directly from my motherboard, I just plugged it into the #1 HDMI in and it worked. I had to adjust the Scaling Options in the AMD display dashboard to make the display use the whole screen, but other than that, sound and video worked fine.

You might want to try starting in safe mode, that might start it in a compatible resolution that you can then adjust to the correct one, but I'm using the standard 1920 x 1080 resolution with 60 for the refresh rate.
post #50 of 60 Old 02-22-2013, 05:25 PM

BTW: I just bought this TV at BB (actually the 4600- no sound bar) for $750 last weekend to replace my aging, but still functional 37" Magnavox LCD. I paid more for the Magnavox back in like 2006.

I chose this over the well-reviewed 50" plasmas by Samsung and Panasonic because I thought the extra inches, slimmer bezel and brightness would be more valuable than the "smart" functionality and marginal picture quality differences.

I've got the Xbox, and aforementioned windows 8 htpc plugged into 2 hdmi (nice to know I've got one to grow on), and I'm running digital sound to my older Pioneer receiver.

So far I couldn't be happier. I'm glad to know that a community like this exists, and can't wait to play around and max out the quality.
post #51 of 60 Old 03-02-2013, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just bought the 55LM4600 from Costco for $699 after hearing generally favorable reviews from this and other sites. It was between this and the Panasonic L55ET5, which is on sale for $899 at Fry this weekend. Hope I made the right choice. In any case I have 3 months to decide if I like it enough to keep it. Can't wait to set it up using the recommended settings posted here and in and other threads.
post #52 of 60 Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I picked up a 55lm4600 today. So far I'm luke warm. I really like a lot of the features, but thflu uneven backlightining from the corners is bugging me. Is that typical of these sets? I have a 55st30 I love, this is my first fray into edge lit led. Maybe it's not fair to compare the two.

P.s. not sure if you call it flahlighting or blooming, basically all four corners have lighter areas than the rest. Looks like spotlights shinning towards the center.
post #53 of 60 Old 03-04-2013, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac View Post

I picked up a 55lm4600 today. So far I'm luke warm. I really like a lot of the features, but thflu uneven backlightining from the corners is bugging me. Is that typical of these sets? I have a 55st30 I love, this is my first fray into edge lit led. Maybe it's not fair to compare the two.

P.s. not sure if you call it flahlighting or blooming, basically all four corners have lighter areas than the rest. Looks like spotlights shinning towards the center.
Yes, unfortunately it is normal for edge lit TV's to have this. How bad it is will be another story. If you post a picture people can tell you if it fits within the norm or if you have one that is more extreme and worth an exchange.
post #54 of 60 Old 03-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

2 days in and edge lightning has faded on the top two corners, but bottom corners it has not changed. Unless it fades I will exchange it this coming weekend.
post #55 of 60 Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 PM

Just picked up the 55LM4600 floor model from Costco for $600. Pretty good deal for a two year warranty included, plus 90 days to return. Plus it looked like it has a good picture without flash lighting.
post #56 of 60 Old 03-12-2013, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just got one myself. Major upgrade from an old 37" Toshiba. Sam's club has reduced it to $668 in store. For a 55" with 3D and IPS screen, the price is fantastic. Picture stinks before calibration, but now calibrated, its very nice. Can see some flashlighting on a blank screen, but it doesn't seem to affect any programs I'm watching. Wife thought TV was too big at first, but then we started watching Avengers in 3D and she was really enjoying it so I think she'll come around. See jaggies with fast motion, but I'm not sure how much is poor motion performance of TV vs the crappy compression from Dishnetwork. Have to watch some more movies and see if its better.

By the way, if you worry about LG panel lottery, the FPR technology that makes passive 3D possible is only being produced on IPS panels, so all LG passive 3D sets use IPS panels. That gives them fantastic viewing angles but mediocre blacks. Actually, FPR technology is an LG exclusive so all passive 3D sets from all manufacturers currently use LG IPS panels in them. The only passive 3D currently on the market not using LG FPR panels is Toshiba's ultra expensive glasses free sets. Toshiba, Vizio, and even Panasonic (for the ET5 series) all buy 3D FPR IPS panels from LG.
post #57 of 60 Old 03-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Exchanged first tv. Second one is much better. I am very satisfied with the tv now. Great tv for the price, even with the hassle of exchanging. Glad I bought it local.
post #58 of 60 Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 AM

How do you access the service menu on this tv?
post #59 of 60 Old 04-19-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobail View Post

Thanks
-Hal

I connect my Win 7 HTPC with 460GTX to my Pioneer VSX-1122K then connect to the TV. Works everytime. I even play FPS game in 3D mode. No plm.
post #60 of 60 Old 08-06-2013, 05:17 AM

FYI: SmartShare PC Software has just been added to the support site.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-55LM4600#
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 55 Inch Led 3d Tv W Soundbar 55lm4700 , Displays , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread