Is my HDTV dying? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 47" Philips that is approaching 3 years old. It has gotten significant use over these years.

I've always though my picture looked rather well on my blu rays and HD cable content.

Just out of curiosity I decided to run a "INHD" video calibration setup and see how it went.

To my interest after setting the brightness to the point of seeing the 4th shaded circle I proceeded to the contrast setup

The contrast setup consists of 11 different shaded rings ranging from light to dark. The test recommends to set contrast to the point of where the 11th ring becomes visible.

Even at 100% contrast the 10th ring is barely visible and the 11th ring is non existent.

Is it advisable to run contrast at 100% or should I just lower contrast and increase brightness?

Thanks for any help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

damn, no opinion on this guys?
post #3 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Perhaps if you waited more than 2 and a half hours, people would respond.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Lol. Yeah I'm a little tipsy right now and got kinda antsy.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTonBass View Post

I have a 47" Philips that is approaching 3 years old. It has gotten significant use over these years.
I've always though my picture looked rather well on my blu rays and HD cable content.
Just out of curiosity I decided to run a "INHD" video calibration setup and see how it went.
To my interest after setting the brightness to the point of seeing the 4th shaded circle I proceeded to the contrast setup
The contrast setup consists of 11 different shaded rings ranging from light to dark. The test recommends to set contrast to the point of where the 11th ring becomes visible.
Even at 100% contrast the 10th ring is barely visible and the 11th ring is non existent.
Is it advisable to run contrast at 100% or should I just lower contrast and increase brightness?
Thanks for any help guys!

It's also possible that your set just doesn't have the best "gray" scale to calibrate to. Some sets have a better gray scale than others and one with a lesser gray scale would give what you describe with the contrast setup. I'd just chalk it up to your particular sets design.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Where is the Brightness (Black Level) setting? Reduce that. And then start again.

Please be advised that some manufactuerer's Advanced Settings stuff takes control of the Backlight Level, disregarding where you set it. Like Dynamic Contrast Ratio as one example.

Backlight Level

Brightness Level (Black Level)

Contrast Level (White Level)

The Brightness Level and Contrast Level has no effect on longevity and does not hurt the set. The Backlight Level, generally you hope that you dont have that full blast, so as to save life on the lamps. Over the life of the unit, (were talking decades) you will have to keep turning up the Backlight Level to keep a constant lumen output as the bulb wears itself out.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #7 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

My LCD set does not have a Backlight level that I have noticed. The brightness setting is at about 50% right now.

Active control is turned off.

Dynamic Contrast is turned off.

Color temperature is set to normal.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 117
No Backlight Level control?

Bummer.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page