Toshiba 65ht2u review. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-25-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a Toshiba 65ht2u last week. It wasn't my first choice for TVs, but I got it for $600. I figured if I didn't like it, I could sell it for more than that on craigslist. My main usage is as a screen for my HTPC. I don't have a bluray player, I don't have cable tv or an antenna. I do watch movies regularly but my top usage is internet browsing.

I am doing a brief review that doesn't give that much information, but there really isn't a lot of info about on this TV. I will add to it after I get it calibrated using the glasses and I will review the sound once I get my wall mount and have it all hooked up.

Setup:
As a computer monitor: Using it as a computer monitor took a moment of thought to set up. It definitely wasn't as easy to use as my previous 42" Sanyo or the HD66 I had in the other room. They were almost completely plug and play. The Toshiba will not display 1080p via the VGA cable. I question why they bothered to put the PC input at all if it was only capable of displaying 1280x768 or something along those lines. The HDMI 1 is attached to the the PC sound input though, so you can run the sound through the TV. The only input for PC usage is 3.5mm. I don't have it set up this way, but I will next week and I will write a review.

As a TV: I adjusted the everything using the test patterns here on the AVS forum except for color. I have a THX glass set coming and I will set them using that when it arrives. Everything seems to work alright in the menus, but all the presets are not the greatest though most normal people will find one that is acceptable for them.

Picture:
I adjusted it based on the AVS test patterns except for color which I adjusted slightly to fix the color as it was too red. I am still dialing it in to get the exact setting I need. I have noticed some eye fatigue after hours of watching, but I am sitting about 10 feet back from the monitor. I could just be getting sick though. It will be another foot back when the mount gets here, and I expect to get used to the extra light vs my 42". I watched some lord of the rings on it, avatar, full metal jacket, futurama, dexter, bones, walking dead, and lawrence of arabia. I can't say I have any complaints about the picture. I turned off the Clearframe setting. It gave it that horrible fake look. At about 10 feet, I don't see any pixels and while it still needs some tinkering with the settings it seems to have a reasonably good picture.

Overall, I would say the menus and setup aren't as easy as my previous electronics, but the picture is fine once you set it up. Even without the great deal I got on it the price is very good and the only way you could get an equivalent screen for the price is to get a Mitsubishi rptv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-25-2012, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealFloopyGuy View Post

I purchased a Toshiba 65ht2u last week. It wasn't my first choice for TVs, but I got it for $600. I figured if I didn't like it, I could sell it for more than that on craigslist. My main usage is as a screen for my HTPC. I don't have a bluray player, I don't have cable tv or an antenna. I do watch movies regularly but my top usage is internet browsing.
I am doing a brief review that doesn't give that much information, but there really isn't a lot of info about on this TV. I will add to it after I get it calibrated using the glasses and I will review the sound once I get my wall mount and have it all hooked up.
Setup:
As a computer monitor: Using it as a computer monitor took a moment of thought to set up. It definitely wasn't as easy to use as my previous 42" Sanyo or the HD66 I had in the other room. They were almost completely plug and play. The Toshiba will not display 1080p via the VGA cable. I question why they bothered to put the PC input at all if it was only capable of displaying 1280x768 or something along those lines. The HDMI 1 is attached to the the PC sound input though, so you can run the sound through the TV. The only input for PC usage is 3.5mm. I don't have it set up this way, but I will next week and I will write a review.
As a TV: I adjusted the everything using the test patterns here on the AVS forum except for color. I have a THX glass set coming and I will set them using that when it arrives. Everything seems to work alright in the menus, but all the presets are not the greatest though most normal people will find one that is acceptable for them.
Picture:
I adjusted it based on the AVS test patterns except for color which I adjusted slightly to fix the color as it was too red. I am still dialing it in to get the exact setting I need. I have noticed some eye fatigue after hours of watching, but I am sitting about 10 feet back from the monitor. I could just be getting sick though. It will be another foot back when the mount gets here, and I expect to get used to the extra light vs my 42". I watched some lord of the rings on it, avatar, full metal jacket, futurama, dexter, bones, walking dead, and lawrence of arabia. I can't say I have any complaints about the picture. I turned off the Clearframe setting. It gave it that horrible fake look. At about 10 feet, I don't see any pixels and while it still needs some tinkering with the settings it seems to have a reasonably good picture.
Overall, I would say the menus and setup aren't as easy as my previous electronics, but the picture is fine once you set it up. Even without the great deal I got on it the price is very good and the only way you could get an equivalent screen for the price is to get a Mitsubishi rptv.

See that Wall..rt is selling theirs for double your price. Where did you get it and how do you like it.?Have not found readily available review.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Toshiba 65ht2u 65 Inches Lcd Tv 16 9 1080p 120 Hz
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page