Official Samsung UNXXES6003 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 11-26-2012, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Didn't see a thread yet on this line so kicking one off.

Bought a 40ES6003 yesterday at Magnolia for $600. Considered the EH5000 and EH6000 line. Didn't really need the smart features or 3D (i.e. the ES6100 or ES6500). Strong PQ at a reasonable cost was the primamry criteria. Wanted at least 120Hz (for better 24p). Was told the ES panel was a step up from EH. My box was marked TS01.

Set the unit up today. Started with movie mode and did a quick calibration using Spears and Munsil. The picture looked very good with quite a bit of detail. A really pleasure to watch. But on dark scenes, the clouding and flashligthting were the worst I'd ever seen. Affected the corners and about a half a dozen random palm sized areas. See picture below.

Made a number of adjustments to see of I could lessen the effect (e.g., lower BL, ...), but no significant change. Applied the ES6100 calibration settings http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-es6100-picturesettings.html - but the clouds and flashlighting remain. Will see if the condition gets any better over the next few days - if not back to the store.

If the next unit has the same clouding issues, I'll need a fall back. It sounds like the ES6100 and ES6500 have similar issues (they are also edge lit). Could folks please confirm the 40EH6000 at 120Hz with direct lighting is the best fallback in this class? My target size is 40" (If I could go larger I woud have gone for plasma).

Couple of other notes:

+ Being an ES6XXX model, I expected this unit to have 10 point calibration settings but I could not find it in the menu. If there is a trick to getting them exposed, please share. If Samsung cut the feature, for me it's a big disappointment since I have the equipment to measure and set these values (i.e. I paid a premium thinking the feature was supported).

+ The viewing angle is VERY limited. For my application (a bedroom) not a real issue but I would not recommend it for a family room with multiple seating positions.

+ This unit only has two HDMI inputs, ported on the side. That's what I needed for now but it's always nice to have one more.

+ Sound quality is OK - maybe a little better than what is typical. I was planning to use the analog audio out to drive some powered speakers but I heard a rumor the ouput is fixed (i.e. line level full volume) versus variable (i.e. attenuated by the current setting of the TV volume control). So I'll need to punt that plan since it's not practical to manually adjust the volume at the speakers.

+ The thin profile of the unit is really very appealing. Under 2". Looks great mounted. Just sort of floating there. BTW, the documentation is incorrect. The bolt size is actually M8 not M6 -- which is a good thing since it's a more beefy bolt.

Overall I really like the unit but the flashlighting and clouds are very hard to overlook - especially for those that care about PQ in darker scenes.

Thanks!

Update 11/27: Added picture of the clouds and flashlighting below. The clouds float over near black objects like the rectangle below. Very distracting. Are they any better on EH5000 or EH6000 models?

UPDATE 12/1: Returned the unit to Magnolia. They said the ES6003 series was created especially for the holiday session to hit a middle ground price point and they were not surprised it had these types of edge light issues. The ES7XXX which is back lit was quite a step up in price (more than double) so not really an option. They suggested trying the ES6500 since it has a different panel (240Hz versus 120Hz), but the ES6500 is now priced at $900 (versus $800 during black Friday). That’s a $300 cost swing (50%) just to see if there is a difference. I opted for trying another ES6003. I'm relieved to report that the clouding / flash lighting while present was not as bad and mostly towards the corners (will add a picture later)

CALIBRATION: I have not seen any official calibration numbers for the ES6003 line so thought I’d give it a go and try to set the white balance. Not being an expert I reread Greyscale for Dummies, a truly excellent tutorial that can be found here

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

I also downloaded the latest version of HCFR (3.0.4) from sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hcfr/files/Windows/3.0.4.0/HCFRSetup.exe/download

Note if you have a Spyder3 colorimeter like I do, the latest driver from Datacolor (or Windows Update) will not work (you will get an “Argyll” driver error when starting HFCR). You have to use the one in the System/Program Files (x86)/HCFR Calibration/Driver directory. To do so is a little tricky since Windows wants to use the latest driver. Here’s the way I got it work: Plug in the Spyder3, go to device manger, under USB controllers find the Spyder3, uninstall the driver, unplug the Spyder3, plug it back in, when Windows starts to look for the driver online, hit “click here for status” (be quick), hit “close” which will stop the search, find the device in “other devices” (it will have a question mark), select it, hit “update driver software”, hit “browse” and point Windows to the directory above. The software does not appear signed so you will get a “Can’t verify publisher” warning. I’ve used the software for years so I’m comfortable hitting “Install anyway”. If successful, you should see a Spyder3 (Argyll) device at the top of the device list.

I visually adjusted brightness and contrast using Spears and Munsil, then turned down the Back Light to minimize clouding. For the greyscale calibration I started off with these settings:

Picture Mode = Movie
Back Light = 12 (lower to reduce clouding)
Contrast = 92
Brightness = 45
Sharp = 20
Color = 50
Tint G50/R50

Color space Auto
White Balance:
RGB offset = 25, 25, 25
RGB gain = 25, 25, 25
Gamma = 0
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Black Tone = Off
Flesh Tone = 0
Motion = Off

Color Tone = Warm 2
Size = Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter = Auto
HDMI Black Level = Normal
Film Mode = OFF
Auto Motion Plus = Custom:
Blur Reduction 10
Judder Reduction 0
LED Motion = Off

Using the 10-100% IRE greyscale images from AVS HD 709 disk, I took this baseline reading:

As you can see the graph is pretty flat from 60%-100% grey and spot on 6500K. But the darker greys are increasing off in blue with color temps approaching 8500K. With the Spyder3, any readings lower than 20% grey are suspect, but you get the general trend line.

To flatten the low end in blue without the 10pt adjustment found in the ES6100 and ES6500 took multiple hours going back and forth with the RGB offset and gain (if your calibrating having the 10pt is a big win). Here’s where I netted out:

I was able to achieve responsibly flat response from 20%-100% with only the darkest grey off in blue. The delta E was under 3 except for 40% which crested at 4. Here are the settings for white balance I used:

RGB offset = 33, 29, 10
RGB gain = 20, 25, 32

SUBJECTIVE RESULTS: Wow, the set is really stunning! I tried some movies and the areas that really stood out were great flesh tones and really nice shadow detail. The clouds are no longer that distracting and I’m impressed what this set can produce – especially at the $600 price point.

If there are any pros out there that have taken a crack at calibration and have better numbers to share please do. For now I’m very happy with the results and will simply focus on enjoying the set!

UPDATE 12/4: Had a chance to evaluate the above settings for a couple of days. While accurate in grey, overall the image is not very bright, especially when there is other light in the room. Yes, setting the BL to 12 was by design to avoid seeing clouds, but for my tastes the picture just wasn't bright enough.

I reset everything to defaults and started over. At 100% IRE, I was measuring 46 ftL. Per the calibration guidance a good target is 30-40. More than that and the image could be fatiguing. A BL of 17 resulted in 40 ftL. I checked for clouds and what I saw was very minor. I recalibrated the white balance and was able to hit 30-100% IRE with a delta E of less than 3:

Not bad considering how tricky it is to adjust using just two controls (RGB offset and gain). I picked values that pushed errors to the darker less visible region (20% IRE and below).

Here are the new settings:

Picture Mode = Movie
Back Light = 17
Contrast = 95
Brightness = 45
Sharp = 20
Color = 50
Tint G50/R50

Color space Auto
White Balance:
RGB Offset = 34, 27, 6
RGB Gain = 16, 23, 28
Gamma = 0
Dynamic Contrast = Off
Black Tone = Off
Flesh Tone = 0
Motion = Off

SUBJECTIVE RESULTS: The picture is now much more punchy and I can even have on a light or two!! And the grey scale looks awesome with accurate color (or lack thereof) and alot of nice contrast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Reducing the backlight setting is the most effective way to reduce flashlighting. If you've already tried this and still have too much return it. The EH series is a good backup, I'd go straight to one of those rather than try another ES6003.

Steve S.
post #3 of 34 Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 AM

Liked: 11
I've got an EH5000 and am having some major trouble with shadowing in the corners. It seems that, at least with the Samsung "budget" models, if you get an edge-lit then you are probably going to have flashlighting problems, and if you get a backlit then you are probably going to get shadowing issues. I'm actually considering switching brands altogether to see if I can find something better.

Got the EH5000 because it was a screaming deal, but I'd pay more to not have shadowing/flashlighting issues that drive me nuts.
post #4 of 34 Old 11-26-2012, 10:41 AM

Would these issues change with a different screen size ( I am looking at the 46" version)? Or is it more likely to be worse because of the larger screen?
post #5 of 34 Old 11-26-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurbs16 View Post

Would these issues change with a different screen size ( I am looking at the 46" version)? Or is it more likely to be worse because of the larger screen?

I think larger screen sizes tend to exacerbate the issues. I was originally looking at 42" screens and did not not have near the problem with shadowing that I've experienced with the 46" screens.
post #6 of 34 Old 11-26-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

When I calibrated I reduced the backlight (from 20 to 15) but the flashlighting is still pretty bad.

What is the word on the EH6000? What are its strengths and weaknesses (compared to the ES6003)?
post #7 of 34 Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 AM

I'm actually considering switching brands altogether to see if I can find something better.zy
post #8 of 34 Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojaggies View Post

When I calibrated I reduced the backlight (from 20 to 15) but the flashlighting is still pretty bad.
What is the word on the EH6000? What are its strengths and weaknesses (compared to the ES6003)?

People seem to generally report better uniformity with the EH6000. However, with the backlit models you can get shadowing problems instead of flashlighting problems. I'd probably consider which one of those issues you are more likely to be able to live with.
post #9 of 34 Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwener View Post

People seem to generally report better uniformity with the EH6000. However, with the backlit models you can get shadowing problems instead of flashlighting problems. I'd probably consider which one of those issues you are more likely to be able to live with.

Added a picture of the clouds and flashlighting above in the original post. Are the artifacts you report similar? They both sound pretty distracting.
post #10 of 34 Old 11-28-2012, 09:14 AM

That looks terrible. Are you going to return it for another 6003?
Is this typical of all low$ LEDs?
post #11 of 34 Old 11-28-2012, 05:22 PM

I also just purchased the 40ES6003 and so far I love the picture on this TV.

I'm not familiar with a lot of terms being used here: flashlighting is something I am not familiar with but I don't see what is being reported in the OP. How can I test my TV to see if it exhibits the same issue?

I'm more interested to see how people are calibrating these tvs as in which settings they are using. I am finding that "Dynamic" mode seems a bit TOO bright so I switched over to standard and I like that one. The "movie" mode looks way too dull and has very poor color IMO.

One thing I'd like to change a bit is the skin tone but I'm not having a lot of luck with the RG or color settings. Anyone have any suggestions?

Just for reference I have a TS01 panel manufactured in October 2012.
post #12 of 34 Old 11-28-2012, 10:25 PM

I upgraded from an older 40"1080p 2007 year model Samsung to the UN55ES6003. Maybe i'm not nearly as picky as your guys, or i'm used to older technology/quality, but I love this TV. Got it from Target on Black Friday for a hair under $1000. I too was looking for a TV without all the 3D and "Smart TV" hype, just thin and good picture quality. This set IMO has met both of these very well. Like the OP mentioned, the TV being 1.8" thick makes it looks very nice hung on the wall with a low-profile mount. I actually had to add a couple washers between the mount and the tv to keep the power cord from hitting the wall. I can't comment on the speakers since I always use a receiver. I too am using the calibration settings from the OP's link, with the exception of no 10-point white balance (since it doesn't exist on this model) and clear motion set to clear. I did manage to find a black picture to freeze the tv on and i don't have anything close to the OP's flashlighting/clouding. It's a touch lighter in the corners, which seems to be normal with edge lit tv's, but nothing nearly as bad as the picture posted. Viewing angle also seems to be good, but once again, i'm used to a tv from 2007. Anyway, overall i'm very happy.
post #13 of 34 Old 11-29-2012, 12:33 AM

it was a screaming deal, but I'd pay more to not have shadowing
post #14 of 34 Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 AM

Probably a YMMV situation like the 6100. Going through that thread looks like the sets were hit or miss with a couple people even getting repairs done through Samsung. Depends if you're willing to risk possible time inconvenience I suppose.
post #15 of 34 Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post

I'm not familiar with a lot of terms being used here: flashlighting is something I am not familiar with but I don't see what is being reported in the OP. How can I test my TV to see if it exhibits the same issue?
I'm more interested to see how people are calibrating these tvs as in which settings they are using. I am finding that "Dynamic" mode seems a bit TOO bright so I switched over to standard and I like that one. The "movie" mode looks way too dull and has very poor color IMO.
One thing I'd like to change a bit is the skin tone but I'm not having a lot of luck with the RG or color settings. Anyone have any suggestions?
Just for reference I have a TS01 panel manufactured in October 2012.

Just posted some calibration settings at the start of thread. Optimized for movies. In particualr thought it did a really nice job with flesh tones. Recommend movie mode if you are trying to get more accurate color reproduction.
post #16 of 34 Old 12-02-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurbs16 View Post

That looks terrible. Are you going to return it for another 6003?
Is this typical of all low$ LEDs?

I ended up getting a replacement unit it and fortunately it does not have such a severe clouding problem. The clouds are still there but less noticable and not across the middle of the screen. There is some minor flashlighting in the corners. Yes, this is typical of edge let LED displays. Additional details in the thread at the top.
post #17 of 34 Old 12-02-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Have a new 40ES6003 with less clouding and posted some new CALIBRATION settings in the thread starter. If there are any pros out there with better numbers / results please share. Thanks.
post #18 of 34 Old 12-02-2012, 06:31 PM

Hi all.

Anyone else had an issue with this model not remembering the settings? i'm trying to put in all the cal settings in the OP but then some of them just reset, like brightness/contrast. haven't figured out what's triggering it yet.

On a separate note, this TV has no headphone jack out, correct? so if I connect external speakers to the audio out port, they can't be controlled with a TV remote, no?

Thanks.
post #19 of 34 Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Haven't had any issues with settings getting reset. Just be aware there are different sets of settings for the inputs and the different picture modes. So if you change a setting and then switch inputs, do no expect it to be there. As for the audio out, there is both analog and digital. But as stated in the OP, I believe these are fixed are and not controlled with the tv volume control.
post #20 of 34 Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 AM

post #21 of 34 Old 12-03-2012, 01:48 PM

Nojaggies, good to hear you got a better unit the second time around. Thanks a ton for going through the calibration and posting your settings. I'll set mine the same and let you know what I think vs. the ES6100 settings.
post #22 of 34 Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojaggies View Post

Haven't had any issues with settings getting reset. Just be aware there are different sets of settings for the inputs and the different picture modes. So if you change a setting and then switch inputs, do no expect it to be there. As for the audio out, there is both analog and digital. But as stated in the OP, I believe these are fixed are and not controlled with the tv volume control.

thanks for this.
post #23 of 34 Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

New calibration setttngs added in the OP. The first settings while accurate were a little too dark. Changed the BL from 12 to 17 which netted a comfortably bright 40 ftL at 100 IRE. Recalibrated the white balance. New settings are:

Backlight 17
Contrast 95
Brightness 45

RGB Offset = 34, 27, 6
RGB Gain = 16, 23, 28

Hope they work as well for you as they did me.
post #24 of 34 Old 12-30-2012, 03:06 PM

I just bought the Samsung UN55ES6003 and was wondering if anyone who owns one might know if the model supports the video mode on Blu-ray players 1080p 24hz setting? smile.gif
post #25 of 34 Old 12-31-2012, 08:14 AM

I am going to try your latest settings and see how they work on my set.
post #26 of 34 Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 AM

I am officially returning this set. I have tried every different combo of settings to no avail. It is complete garbage as far as I am concerned.
post #27 of 34 Old 01-05-2013, 02:58 PM

I got my new UN55ES6003 and I am really happy with my purchase.

Right out of the box the picture looked great but like the two HDTV's I had before (one 32" and 40") it would need some picture calibration to get the picture I wanted. I found these setting online and they made my picture look awesome and now I'm really happy with what I see.

I hope if you try these setting on your TV you are as happy with them as I am.

Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 16
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 15
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

ADVANCE SETTINGS
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: +1
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Black Tone: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
Motion Lighting: Off

WHITE BALANCE
R-Offset 25
G-Offset 25
B-Offset 28
R-Gain 18
G-Gain 23
B-Gain 21

PICTURE OPTIONS
Color Tone Warm2
Size: Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter Off
HDMI Black Level Low
Film Mode Off
Auto Motion Plus Off
LED Motion Plus Off

Update. Trying Auto Motion Plus Clear and
liking this setting. Had tried (standard) but I got too much 'soap opera effects'
post #28 of 34 Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 AM

Out of the box I was pretty disappointed with the picture, but after trying out some of the configs here, it looks really good. Looks amazing with a 1080P signal.

However, if I have my Color set to 50 my Reds and Blues get totally crushed. Did you guys not find that was the case? I'm using the color range image.

HDMI black level depends on whether your inputs are sendin (0-255) or (16-235). I have my PS3 and 360 set to Expanded so the black level is Normal
post #29 of 34 Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 AM

So far I'm still happy with my latest settings.

I have Telus Optik TV that has a maximum of 720p and it looks great. I also use a Samsung blue-ray player and a LG blue-ray player which I use to stream Netflix at 1080p. I find most things off Netflix looks great.

I have no experience with a PS3 or how they should be setup. Maybe someone that has one will comment.

I've been hoping that someone that has paid to have their TV professionally calibrated would post their setting but I guess that may not happen.
post #30 of 34 Old 01-12-2013, 12:55 PM

My settings are definitely going to be different because of Game mode being On. It appears to pretty drastically affect the picture, but since I usually use it for playing games I'll probably leave it on and calibrate to that setting. I've got some pretty good settings now, I'll post them later.

WTF is with the default sharpness, I had to turn it down to 15, it just looked awful.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 60 Inch Slim Led Hdtv Un60es6003 , Samsung 55 Inch Slim Led Hdtv Un55es6003 , Samsung 46 Inch Slim Led Hdtv Un46es6003
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page