Hisense vs RCA LED TV, What should I get - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I have two choices between tv's. Hisense LED 46", 60hz, 3 HDMI ports, WiFi for $460. Or an RCA LED 46", 120hz, 4 HDMI ports, no WiFi for $500. Thats a $40 difference. So what would you all suggest? The RCA model number is LED46A55R120Q. The Hisense model number is F46K20E. Do you believe that RCA is better for TV and also for PS3 gaming or would it not even be worth the extra $40? Ive heard rumors that this model RCA has had problems with white clouds around the edges and along the screen and also HDMI ports having problems. Ive also heard that there are problems with lag while playing PS3 on this 120hz tv. Ive heard the usual on Hisense and how people havnt heard of them so they must be junk. People say go pay the extra $200 for a Vizio or Sony or something. But all im worried about is these two brands and models and wether or not its worth the extra $40 for the hz difference and 1 extra HDMI port.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 312
PIck your poison. Both TV's are "low end". You get what you pay for. wink.gif
OTOH.... Even "high end" sets have problems with lag when gaming.

So, you already know the RCA set can potentially have problems with clouding and HDMI. The Hisense is "off brand" and I wouldn't expect quality performance or longevity. Both should raise a red flag.

Either set is a risk IMO. Do you need WiFi? Do you need 4 HDMI inputs?
post #3 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well I went ahead and bought the Hisense and, Oops, there is no wifi on the 46" like there is on the 40". I had 40" bought for me for Christmas and exchanged it for the 46". I just ASSumed that the 46" would have the same perks. Stupid me.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bishop View Post

Well I went ahead and bought the Hisense and, Oops, there is no wifi on the 46" like there is on the 40". I had 40" bought for me for Christmas and exchanged it for the 46". I just ASSumed that the 46" would have the same perks. Stupid me.
I guess you haven't seen any of my "Hisense makes no sense" rants on here. Of course, RCA makes less sense so Ratman and I agree totally on this one. Sorry...
post #5 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I picked up a cheap 32 inch Hisense a couple of weeks ago. For what it is, it has not been a bad set so far. Outside of not being able to program a Directv remote with it, the biggest problem has been what in olden days we called interference. With HDMI connected for Directv, and an antenna for OTA, from time to time I noticed the picture geting a little snowy and another audio feed coming through the set at the same time. So, I had to disconnect the antenna to solve that problem. Since in my case it's one of 6 TVs in the same room these two issues are not a big deal. I use it only as a source to get an extra football game on Sunday. I don't even have the sound on.

I have not turned the set off since I brought it home, and I won't until I have passed the return window. Should it faulter any further in that time, it's going back. If I were looking for a primary TV, and on a budget I would look at Vizio long before either Hisense or RCA.. As to it's reliability in the long term; Time will tell.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post

I picked up a cheap 32 inch Hisense a couple of weeks ago. For what it is, it has not been a bad set so far. Outside of not being able to program a Directv remote with it, the biggest problem has been what in olden days we called interference. With HDMI connected for Directv, and an antenna for OTA, from time to time I noticed the picture geting a little snowy and another audio feed coming through the set at the same time. So, I had to disconnect the antenna to solve that problem. Since in my case it's one of 6 TVs in the same room these two issues are not a big deal. I use it only as a source to get an extra football game on Sunday. I don't even have the sound on.
I have not turned the set off since I brought it home, and I won't until I have passed the return window. Should it faulter any further in that time, it's going back. If I were looking for a primary TV, and on a budget I would look at Vizio long before either Hisense or RCA.. As to it's reliability in the long term; Time will tell.
Snow, seriously? I've never seen snow on an HDTV. Usually the picture is in or it's out with no in-between.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Yep, snow !!! I was quite suprised. The snowy picture was also in sync with the audio. I have not seen anything like it since the 1960s.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

The thing that will make you all think im really stupid is I got the 40" Hisense for early Christmas and figured it would be a good stepping stone to get a bigger tv. Hehe. So I returned the $400 tv and got the same brand 46" for just $60 more. I know it would have been smart to get a vizio or somethin for just $300 more but its like someone offering you a new Viper for only $50,000! Good price but if you cant spend the extra bucks it doesnt matter how good that deal sounds. Not to include the wife doesnt appreciate the fact that there is a quality and longevity difference between tv brands. To her a tv is a tv and theres no sense in paying more than you have to. But we did have a Vizio before they were cool because it was dirt cheap and I told her then that id never heard of it and it was probably gonna be junk. Well we see how that worked out. Now everybody is sayin buy Vizio.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bishop View Post

The thing that will make you all think im really stupid is I got the 40" Hisense for early Christmas and figured it would be a good stepping stone to get a bigger tv. Hehe. So I returned the $400 tv and got the same brand 46" for just $60 more. I know it would have been smart to get a vizio or somethin for just $300 more but its like someone offering you a new Viper for only $50,000! Good price but if you cant spend the extra bucks it doesnt matter how good that deal sounds. Not to include the wife doesnt appreciate the fact that there is a quality and longevity difference between tv brands. To her a tv is a tv and theres no sense in paying more than you have to. But we did have a Vizio before they were cool because it was dirt cheap and I told her then that id never heard of it and it was probably gonna be junk. Well we see how that worked out. Now everybody is sayin buy Vizio.
Not everybody. wink.gif I never thought of VIZIOs as being cool.

By the way, does anybody but me notice that VIZIO spells its name in all caps just like RCA? Why do people just type Vizio? That's like typing Ibm or At&t. Just the Internal Auditor in me coming out again. Enjoy your new TV. smile.gif
post #10 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Well ive been watching the tv today and everything seems fine to me, but it is my first led tv or anything other than a tube tv. Sound isnt as bad as everybody said. I only turn it up to 30 and thats more than enough for a room that is about 15'x24'. I havent upgraded my dish to HD yet so im hoping the picture will get much better with HD. The hdmi cable with PS3 looks good to me but like I said, its the first time ive used it on an HD tv.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Jim, I never gave it much thought as to VIZIO being all caps. But they are not alone, check SONY and SHARP. I guess I normally don't cap them just out of habit. As far as RCA goes, I always considered that more of an abbreviation just as I do IBM.

Gary, as long as you like your TV , that's the really important part. I hope you get years of enjoyment out of it. Get that upgrade on your dish ASAP though. It makes a wold of difference. PQ on the Hisense is not too bad at all btw.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post

Jim, I never gave it much thought as to VIZIO being all caps. But they are not alone, check SONY and SHARP. I guess I normally don't cap them just out of habit. As far as RCA goes, I always considered that more of an abbreviation just as I do IBM.
Gary, as long as you like your TV , that's the really important part. I hope you get years of enjoyment out of it. Get that upgrade on your dish ASAP though. It makes a wold of difference. PQ on the Hisense is not too bad at all btw.
Sony and Sharp capitalize their names on their products, but if you go to their websites you'll see their names in the headings in all caps, but nearly everything else that has their names has a capital "S" but then the rest of the name is in lower case. However, if you go to the VIZIO website, all references to the name VIZIO are in all capital letters, even when VIZIO is written in fine print. I thought that the name might be an abbreviation like (as you say) RCA and IBM but I sure can't find it anywhere. Maybe (like the church lady on SNL used to say) VIZIO uses all caps because they want to be a little bit "special."

And, I too hope Gary enjoys his new TV to the fullest.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Rca 46 Inch Led Full Hdtv Led46a55r120q , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com