Dolby Digital audio output not working - AVS Forum
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Dolby Digital audio output not working
Eric Katz's Avatar Eric Katz 04:26 PM 11-27-2012
I recently purchased an digital optical cable to go from the TV to my receiver. My receiver identifies the signal coming from the TV as PCM, even though I have the audio output on the TV set to Dolby Digital. I also just updated to revision U0905131 on my LC-46D64U, and it was successful, hoping to correct this problem, but no dice. Anyone have any knowledge of this issue?

lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 08:41 PM 11-27-2012
What's the actual source the tv is using? OTA? Cable? Sat? What is the spec for that source?
Ratman's Avatar Ratman 05:13 AM 11-28-2012
This question is asked often....

Most TV's will only provide DD when using the TV's internal tuner. Any devices connected to the TV (cable box. DVD player) will be downmixed to PCM stereo. DD (or DTS) will not be "passed through".

You will need to connect the digital audio outputs from the external devices to the receiver.
Eric Katz's Avatar Eric Katz 05:58 PM 11-29-2012
I appreciate you guys helping me out. Here's my situation:

1. I have Comcast, the set top box is an SA 4250HDC. It is connected via HDMI cable to my Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U.
2. I have connected my tv to my receiver via digital optical cable.
3. Cable box is set to output audio via HDMI.
4. TV is set to digital audio via HDMI
5. I had anticipated that my receiver would identify that receiver would report that it is in Digital mode, as it does when my blu-ray player is playing (connected audio via digital cable)
6. My receiver always says its using PCM. This is the part that disturbs me. It sounds fine, but I know it can be better.

Anybody have any suggestions?
topr's Avatar topr 06:55 PM 11-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Katz View Post

I appreciate you guys helping me out. Here's my situation:
1. I have Comcast, the set top box is an SA 4250HDC. It is connected via HDMI cable to my Sharp Aquos LC-46D64U.
2. I have connected my tv to my receiver via digital optical cable.
3. Cable box is set to output audio via HDMI.
4. TV is set to digital audio via HDMI
5. I had anticipated that my receiver would identify that receiver would report that it is in Digital mode, as it does when my blu-ray player is playing (connected audio via digital cable)
6. My receiver always says its using PCM. This is the part that disturbs me. It sounds fine, but I know it can be better.
Anybody have any suggestions?

See post #3
Eric Katz's Avatar Eric Katz 06:58 PM 11-29-2012
I actually tried that, I connected a digital optical (toslink) cable from my cable box to my receiver, still only PCM. Very odd.
Ratman's Avatar Ratman 05:14 AM 11-30-2012
Check the audio settings in the SA 4250HDC. Maybe an audio option (if there is one) is set to PCM only.

Look at page 12:
http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/settopboxes/4250UserManual.pdf
sitlet's Avatar sitlet 10:39 AM 11-30-2012
Also be sure you are on an HD channel. SD channels will only output 2 channel stereo. Actually some HD programming is only 2 channel as well, but that is becoming more rare.
Ratman's Avatar Ratman 12:29 PM 11-30-2012
Perhaps.... but typically "digital" cable channels are Dolby Digital. They may be only DD 2.0 with non-HD channels, but still DD nonetheless, not PCM.
Up
Mobile  Desktop