Any experience with TCL? People seem to *like* the LE55FHDF3300ZTA 55-Inch 1080p 240Hz - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 100 Old 11-28-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 683
It seems that this model of TCL is actually liked well by the owners. No WiFi, no 3D. Just your basic display, but at 55" and 240Hz, LED, thin bezel and only $700.

Not the thinnest beast, but dirt cheap and 4 1/2 stars. How come I'm not hearing more buzz on this?

http://www.amazon.com/LE55FHDF3300ZTA-55-Inch-2-Year-Limited-Warranty/dp/B007EM7NMA/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 11-28-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

It seems that this model of TCL is actually liked well by the owners. No WiFi, no 3D. Just your basic display, but at 55" and 240Hz, LED, thin bezel and only $700.
Not the thinnest beast, but dirt cheap and 4 1/2 stars. How come I'm not hearing more buzz on this?
http://www.amazon.com/LE55FHDF3300ZTA-55-Inch-2-Year-Limited-Warranty/dp/B007EM7NMA/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics
AVS is generally considered an enthusiast's forum. Unfortunately, lower tier brands usually don't get a lot of love or a lot of discussion. As Porter Wagoner once said, "Those are just the cold, hard facts of life."
post #3 of 100 Old 11-28-2012, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I understand your comment BoilerJim. But I would also hope that there could be some informative comments as well. I have two LG and one Toshiba flat screen sets. I am now in the need for a set that would get used only sparingly. And like the OP am looking at the TCL brand. It would appear that they are being sold buy just about every major retailer. And I would assume they are Chinese and come from the same factory floor as other off brand Chinese sets. But I don't know that for sure. So again, I'm hoping someone here can give some fact based input to the original question.
post #4 of 100 Old 11-28-2012, 12:35 PM

Liked: 10
I know this TCL LED is a direct lit model and not edge lit so that explains it's thickness. If this were to drop another $100 or so I might be interested. I have read in some reviews that it's not really 240hz and it only runs at 60hz always but I don't know that for sure. I also read that it doesn't have the soap opera effect.

Here is a link to the tcl product page:

http://www.tclusa.com/products/led/le55fhdf3300zta/

-Guru
post #5 of 100 Old 11-28-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't think I understand the enthusiasts comment: There's no way to discover if a set is of enthusiast-level interest without enthusiast input. Besides, even the most die-hard of us sometimes want the low-end lawnmower for the rocky lawn. (Think kids rooms).

As far as the Chinese thing goes---yeah I've read that it is a fully Chinese brand. But what that truly means is anyone's guess, because the various panel lotteries pull from manufacturers all over the place. I haven't been able to find any avsforum-quality reviews of the TCL stuff anywhere.

And I sort of like the display just for display purposes idea. Hundreds of dollars not wasted on WiFi and Apps that can be better handled externally perhaps.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #6 of 100 Old 11-28-2012, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i too am interested in more info on these tcl sets. i read somewhere that they may use samsung panels???
post #7 of 100 Old 11-28-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post

I know this TCL LED is a direct lit model and not edge lit so that explains it's thickness. If this were to drop another $100 or so I might be interested. I have read in some reviews that it's not really 240hz and it only runs at 60hz always but I don't know that for sure. I also read that it doesn't have the soap opera effect.
Here is a link to the tcl product page:
http://www.tclusa.com/products/led/le55fhdf3300zta/
-Guru

Within that link, here is the PDF user manual:
https://tcl-django.s3.amazonaws.com/medialibrary/2012/07/F3300_UM.pdf

Inside that it claims "Refresh rate 60Hz, 240 Hz only for 48" and above"

post #8 of 100 Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg606 View Post

i too am interested in more info on these tcl sets. i read somewhere that they may use samsung panels???
HA! Well THAT'D be interesting because Samsung so often doesn't use Samsung panels. Perhaps it was the other way around I wonder....

post #9 of 100 Old 11-28-2012, 03:39 PM

Liked: 13
I just received my LE55FHDF3300ZTA last week. Since then, I've been playing with the color/display controls and trying to find the perfect settings. Since I'm not an a/v-ophile, I'm completely happy with my purchase. I was looking at the Vizio 60" LED, but for $300 less, figured I'd give TCL a chance (like I did when I bought my first Vizio).

I actually came back here (don't visit often) to find some settings others may have found to work the best, but I guess I'm on my own (a good thing...something to learn). Anyway, people have been asking, figured I'd say that I like it and it's a great TV so far. Plus, going from 42" to 55" was rather astonishing...once I got over the seasickness and backed up another foot or two.
tgm1024 likes this.
post #10 of 100 Old 11-28-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBailey View Post

I just received my LE55FHDF3300ZTA last week. Since then, I've been playing with the color/display controls and trying to find the perfect settings. Since I'm not an a/v-ophile, I'm completely happy with my purchase. I was looking at the Vizio 60" LED, but for $300 less, figured I'd give TCL a chance (like I did when I bought my first Vizio).
I actually came back here (don't visit often) to find some settings others may have found to work the best, but I guess I'm on my own (a good thing...something to learn). Anyway, people have been asking, figured I'd say that I like it and it's a great TV so far. Plus, going from 42" to 55" was rather astonishing...once I got over the seasickness and backed up another foot or two.

Wow someone that actually own's the 55"smile.gif

Anyway is the screen a matte finish and not real shiny like a plasma?

Also does your tv have that nasty soap opera effect? How is motion on it? Can you adjust the 240 hz or does it always run at 240hz (or 60hz)?
post #11 of 100 Old 11-30-2012, 02:23 AM

Liked: 11
So SWBailey how is the TV.

I'm really interested in the 48" model as it seems like that is the biggest I can go if I want to mail it over here to an APO address.
post #12 of 100 Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post

So SWBailey how is the TV.
I'm really interested in the 48" model as it seems like that is the biggest I can go if I want to mail it over here to an APO address.

So far, I really like it. There is a "clouding" issue when on an all-black screen. Hard to explain any other way: looks like the black goes to gray-ish in a cloudy pattern. Other than that, which only happens when nothing is being displayed (since even dark scenes show without issue or clouding), I really like the TV. So far, I've only run video and games via my Xbox, but the HD looks great, games look crazy-good, and now that the "sea-sickness" from sitting too close has been remedied (10-feet away seems to be the best and still take in the whole screen without having to move your eyes from one corner to the other to see what's going on), it's definitely worth the money.

I'll try to spend more time fudging with the settings this weekend to get it "perfect." We'll see if that fixes the clouding issue (again, not horrible since it's not apparent when watching/playing anything other than an all black screen), but if not, still worth it, in my opinion.
tgm1024 likes this.
post #13 of 100 Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
swbailey, thanks for the input. does it have a matte or glossy screen? thanks
post #14 of 100 Old 11-30-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post

Wow someone that actually own's the 55"smile.gif
Anyway is the screen a matte finish and not real shiny like a plasma?
Also does your tv have that nasty soap opera effect? How is motion on it? Can you adjust the 240 hz or does it always run at 240hz (or 60hz)?

The screen is matte-ish. There's a bit of sheen, but NO reflection that I can tell. Granted, it's fall in Seattle, so there's not much sun to test that with and all of my lighting is indirect, so I don't notice anything. I'll put in a bluray movie this weekend and report back on movement (Matrix should work), but so far, I've not seen any movement issues. I admit, I'm not a videophile, so my review may not be very good, but for real world, real person use? It's frickin' awesome.
tgm1024 likes this.
post #15 of 100 Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg606 View Post

swbailey, thanks for the input. does it have a matte or glossy screen? thanks

Matte.
post #16 of 100 Old 12-02-2012, 01:01 PM

To clarify since I was at work when I answered, the sun actually came out for about 10min today and I noticed that the screen is more semi-matte than matte. I don't want to say semi-gloss, because it's still more matte than glossy, but wanted to be sure I was giving the right information.
post #17 of 100 Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBailey View Post

So far, I really like it. There is a "clouding" issue when on an all-black screen. Hard to explain any other way: looks like the black goes to gray-ish in a cloudy pattern. Other than that, which only happens when nothing is being displayed (since even dark scenes show without issue or clouding), I really like the TV. So far, I've only run video and games via my Xbox, but the HD looks great, games look crazy-good, and now that the "sea-sickness" from sitting too close has been remedied (10-feet away seems to be the best and still take in the whole screen without having to move your eyes from one corner to the other to see what's going on), it's definitely worth the money.
I'll try to spend more time fudging with the settings this weekend to get it "perfect." We'll see if that fixes the clouding issue (again, not horrible since it's not apparent when watching/playing anything other than an all black screen), but if not, still worth it, in my opinion.

So how close were you sitting to the new 55" TCL previously before moving it back. I sit around 8' from a 50" plasma so that would be my viewing distance for the 55."

Any more updates on the tv? I really want to see one in the flesh but our sams or costco doesn't have any yet:(

-Guru
post #18 of 100 Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Bailey, I'm also considering the same TV. Right now I have an older 42 inch panasonic plasma and I'm deciding between the LE48FHDF3300ZTA and the Panasonic GT50 for about 1300 bucks. I wish I had more raw data as to the black levels and what not of the 3300 when calibrated. I suppose I can always try it and then send it back if it's not to my liking.

Have you noticed too much of a flash lighting effect? I thought with direct led array that there wasn't suppose to be much of an issue there as it would be with edge lighting. I know on my panasonic I have now, a black screen looks almost gray. Which means there is a very noticeable flash light effect. I heard one amazon reviewer say he couldn't tell when the TV was off (hardly) it was so black. I highly doubt that.

"black" search in 3300z reviews.
post #19 of 100 Old 12-03-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone else irritated by unnecessarily complicated model numbers? FTLOG this drives me crazy. To use an unnecessarily complex acronym. smile.gif

post #20 of 100 Old 12-04-2012, 10:11 AM

I also purchased the TCL brand. I have like others a nice Sony 52 hx909 XBR...Great TV. Like others I wanted something to setup in another room without investing into another high end TV. I looked at the 48 TCL at Sams, I liked what I saw. I also read the reviews on Amazon and alot of people liked this product. My take is that TCL holds abot 70% of the Chinese market and has in the past manuafactured TV sets for RCA and some for Philps. It is a 240 HZ. set and can not be lowed to a lower setting. It was a great buy from Amazon. Codes used for the remotes are RCA 10047
tgm1024 likes this.
post #21 of 100 Old 12-04-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarun View Post

I also purchased the TCL brand. I have like others a nice Sony 52 hx909 XBR...Great TV. Like others I wanted something to setup in another room without investing into another high end TV. I looked at the 48 TCL at Sams, I liked what I saw. I also read the reviews on Amazon and alot of people liked this product. My take is that TCL holds abot 70% of the Chinese market and has in the past manuafactured TV sets for RCA and some for Philps. It is a 240 HZ. set and can not be lowed to a lower setting. It was a great buy from Amazon. Codes used for the remotes are RCA 10047

Do you find the thickness off-putting?

post #22 of 100 Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Do you find the thickness off-putting?
Thickness, schmickness... Do you watch your TV from the side? Shouldn't picture quality triumph over so-called aesthetics? It's not like an old monster CRT that stuck out two feet in the back.
post #23 of 100 Old 12-04-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Thickness, schmickness...

Love it. smile.gif You're using industry terms....

post #24 of 100 Old 12-04-2012, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
So, what do you guys think of the PQ on the 48 and 55 inch screens? How are the black levels? Has anyone calibrated their TCL? Is there any grainy issues with sports or video games? I saw a couple of reviewers (who knows what their set-up may be) mention there was noticeable grain in the picture and that the TV wasn't really really at 240hz. Dunno how they came to those conclusions.
post #25 of 100 Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 AM

When I first unboxed it I though it might be the wrong model than what I saw and ordered, because it looked thick taking it out of the box. Once the base was installed and setup on the table it was just as I had seen in Sams. Looking from the side you may seen 4 inches "speakers in back of set" but looking from the front and viewing the screen it looks thin and smooth... Great. I will say that the quality of the picture is just like any other tv inculding my Sony XBR it depends on the quality of the video source...High quality HD looks like it is suppose to and no HD don't look as good. I have Sony Blueray on order so I can't comment on that yet. I'm very happy with this TCL model "48" for the price paid.
post #26 of 100 Old 12-05-2012, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Samsung has a 15% stake in one of the TCL subsidiaries' (CSOT) panel manufacturing plants. Does this mean that Samsung panels might often be TCL panels? Has TCL been part of the lottery OEMing for a long time?

http://multimedia.tcl.com/en/news/main.do?method=Detail&mappingName=News_Company&id=8af8e39137bf8630013a628a691d0321

post #27 of 100 Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Samsung has a 15% stake in one of the TCL subsidiaries' (CSOT) panel manufacturing plants. Does this mean that Samsung panels might often be TCL panels? Has TCL been part of the lottery OEMing for a long time?
http://multimedia.tcl.com/en/news/main.do?method=Detail&mappingName=News_Company&id=8af8e39137bf8630013a628a691d0321

CSOT was founded by TCL and Century Corp. back in 2009, owning 55% and 45% of CSOT's stake respectively.

And then in 2011, Samsung decided to join the game by buying 15% of stake off Century Corps hand. After the equity swap, CSOT will be supplying 2.55 million panels to Samsung annually as an Original Design Manufacturer. Therefore, we'll see more and more Samsungs using TCL (or CSOT) panels in the future.
http://woodlawnpost.com/?p=13311
post #28 of 100 Old 12-07-2012, 12:24 PM

SWBailey, would you be willing to share the settings you settled on? I just got the same 55" set and would love to know what worked best for you.

I also have some pretty significant clouding in four sections of the screen, but like you, only notice it on a completely black screen. Did it get better with time, or were you able to improve it at all?
post #29 of 100 Old 12-07-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aLiBi7 View Post

SWBailey, would you be willing to share the settings you settled on? I just got the same 55" set and would love to know what worked best for you.
I also have some pretty significant clouding in four sections of the screen, but like you, only notice it on a completely black screen. Did it get better with time, or were you able to improve it at all?

Please keep us posted on your experiences with your new tv.

How is the motion on it. Do you notice any soap opera effect at all on the 55"?

Any motion blur at all?

How is the screen when it comes to reflections? I guess it's a matte finish which should be good.

Overall impressions?
post #30 of 100 Old 12-08-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I just today ran across TCL for the first time -- pricing is super attractive. I ordered a no-frills Panasonic 50" plasma for $600, but am now wondering if the TCL LE48FHDF3300ZTA may actually be a better bet for general purpose viewing (SD TV plus various aspect ratio discs). The plasma should provide better color and black level but the LCD would be safe from line bleed and image retention -- price is about the same. I'd really like to hear from somebody who's calibrated one of these sets and can share how it worked out. Also interested in how well it performs up-scaling from non-1080p signals.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Led Hdtv , Tcl Le55fhdf3300zta 55 Inch 1080p 240hz Led Hdtv With 2 Year Warranty Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page