Official LG 47LS4500/55LS4500 Owners' Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 355 Old 12-05-2012, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my 47LS4500 on Saturday. Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on setting it up, etc.

Mine is being fed HDMI from a HTPC running an AMD Radeon 5670 and a Ceton InfiniTV 4 tuner card, with an M-CARD from Comcast.

The initial settings on the TV were awful, but isn't that generally true? The Color Temp was cranked to the Max Cool Color Temp (C50), so that went to '0' immediately. Next was turning off or adjusting a few things under Advanced Control. Dynamic Contrast and Dynamic Color turned OFF. Noise Reduction to LOW, Gamma to MEDIUM (HIGH tends to crush the blacks; LOW is a viable option, depending on a few other things), Black Level to LOW or the pic is seriously washed out, Color Gamut to WIDE, and Edge Enhancer to OFF (ON was just too much; e.g., my PC's wallpaper developed a pixel or two-wide stripe on the vertical edges; YMMV with actual video).

Turned OFF Energy Saving.

Picture Mode to STANDARD, then tweaked the basics (i.e., non-Advanced Control options).

I won't post Backlight, Contrast, Brightness, Color, etc., as those settings are pretty particular to one's environment.

A couple of geeky things that may be of interest to some:

1. I was running my Radeon 5760 at YCbCr 4:4:4 Color Pixel Format, and that looked OK on my old 42" LG LCD. With the 47LS4500, the pic seemed really washed out. No amount of adjusting Color, Contrast, etc., really helped. I decided to try RGB 4:4:4 PC Standard (Full RGB). Disco! Now there's real vibrance, deep blacks, and the TV is a keeper. If my memory isn't too far gone, I swear trying Full RGB on the LG 42" LCD produced an image that was far too dark, blacks crushed, etc. Irrelevant now, of course. I will add that the difference between feeding that TV Component vs. HDMI from my Comcast 8300HD DVR is remarkable. The Component feed requires more Backlight and Brightness, but the colors are really rich.

2. Back to the 47LS4500... I just discovered that changing an Input's "Label" under Options affects how the TV deals with said Input. For example, when I change my HDMI 1 from blank to PC, the picture settings immediately change, and the options are severely limited. Under Aspect Ratio, only 16:9 and 4:3 are available (no Just Scan), and under Advanced Control, only Gamma and Black Level are available. I switched the Input Label back to blank, and it automatically went back to my previous tweaked Standard settings, so that's a nice feature, though nothing new.

As noted in another thread there is no way to adjust or disable TruMotion. It seems to be Always-On. And as I noted there, the owner cannot access the "Product/Service Info" screen or any "Support" info in general. So if you want to update the software, you'll just have to try the latest to see if you need it or not. Might be worth noting the current version somewhere (note on a PC, a sticky on the back of the TV, wherever).

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts and impressions. Watching the Skins eek out the win over the Giants Monday night sure looked good, esp. after adjusting the color output from the HTPC biggrin.gif

HTH someone down the line.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 355 Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee Boy View Post

Have you done a calibration with a Home Theater calibration disc like Disney's World of Wonder? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1303667/disneys-wow-world-of-wonder-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review I have found this really helps you dial in the black levels easy. Manually doing it by eye is definitely hit or miss.
Has anyone used the "Picture Wizard II (Easy Picture Calibration)" that is supposed to be built into this tv? Good results?

Hmm, I will try this. Still a noob to this site and TV calibration in general.

I did use the Picture Wizard and that kind of helped, but I need to do more testing to see if it helped or hindered picture quality.
post #33 of 355 Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 AM

I think I have my input set to Cable Box. Ill switch it to blank and see what happens.

Nice find though
post #34 of 355 Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post

1. I was running my Radeon 5760 at YCbCr 4:4:4 Color Pixel Format, and that looked OK on my old 42" LG LCD. With the 47LS4500, the pic seemed really washed out. No amount of adjusting Color, Contrast, etc., really helped. I decided to try RGB 4:4:4 PC Standard (Full RGB). Disco! Now there's real vibrance, deep blacks, and the TV is a keeper. If my memory isn't too far gone, I swear trying Full RGB on the LG 42" LCD produced an image that was far too dark, blacks crushed, etc. Irrelevant now, of course. I will add that the difference between feeding that TV Component vs. HDMI from my Comcast 8300HD DVR is remarkable. The Component feed requires more Backlight and Brightness, but the colors are really rich.

Thanks for all the great info!

Can you give some more info on this? What is 4:4:4, and how do i ensure that i have RGB 4:4:4 feeding out of my video card (low end AMD Radeon)? Is this an option in the Catalyst Control Center?
post #35 of 355 Old 12-05-2012, 01:09 PM

Have any of you guys tried updating the firmware? It doesn't seem to be working. Plus I do not think Tru motion is on by default, you would have the option of increasing or decreasing its effects through a menu option. Can you guys confirm that there is no tru motion de judder or de blurr setting in the advanced option in picture settings?
This my post from another thread regarding this issue:

So I bought this set a couple of days ago and I'm still trying to figure out why it won't update to the current firmware it keeps reverting to the original firmware after restarting. Also if u read up on the 47LM6200
thread
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408659/lg-trumotion-missing-specific-to-42lm-47lm-55lm-series-excludes-lm7600- and-newer
you will see that they eventually released a firmware update to enable Tru motion functionality. My guess is that they (LG) are lying about the feature being enabled all the time. 120hz is different from Tru motion which is a frame interpolation technology. I have a Sony 240hz and there is a clear difference in turning on frame interpolation and having it off. Since they are lying about having it enabled all the timeI think it's best to say return this set because the firmware will probably never come, unless enough of us complain. SOE is only very apparent when you raise it to like high, on low or medium it works wonders for image quality. However on this set there is no frame interpolation going on because there is so much motion laggyness or blur when viewing moving objects.
post #36 of 355 Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 PM

Liked: 11
Can I ask a favor from some of the owners of this set.

Can someone measure the actual length and height of just the screen on this 47". I want to purchase one but the wife insists it will look too small coming down from a 50" screen. She wants to take the dimensions and I guess trace it in cardboard and compare the size with the screen we currently have now. I would really appreciate it...plus it will get the wife out of my hair.

Pretty please.....
post #37 of 355 Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post

Can someone measure the actual length and height of just the screen on this 47". I want to purchase one but the wife insists it will look too small coming down from a 50" screen. She wants to take the dimensions and I guess trace it in cardboard and compare the size with the screen we currently have now. I would really appreciate it...plus it will get the wife out of my hair.
Pretty please.....

Dimension specs are here.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-47LS4500-led-tv

Click on the tech specs tab and look under dimensions/weight section.
post #38 of 355 Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimp View Post

Dimension specs are here.
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-47LS4500-led-tv
Click on the tech specs tab and look under dimensions/weight section.

I know the dimensions of the TV. The wife is concerned with the screen dimensions. She is worried about losing actual viewing real estate. She wants me to get the screen measurements and make like some cardboard cutout and compare it to the screen on our current 50" that we want to replace.

We are overseas and 47" is the largest we can order so she doesn't want to order a TV that we can't return if the size difference will be a big issue. Gotta keep the wife happy.
post #39 of 355 Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
been playing around with the set's sound settings. i do not like the clear voice II, but do like the infinite surround, turned that on.
post #40 of 355 Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg606 View Post

been playing around with the set's sound settings. i do not like the clear voice II, but do like the infinite surround, turned that on.

Were you able to verify whether or not this was an IPS panel?
post #41 of 355 Old 12-05-2012, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Were you able to verify whether or not this was an IPS panel?
no, i really don't care if it does or not. i'm just really pleased by the picture and sound. so much better than my 6 year old dlp
post #42 of 355 Old 12-05-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:

Have you done a calibration with a Home Theater calibration disc like Disney's World of Wonder? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1303667/disneys-wow-world-of-wonder-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review I have found this really helps you dial in the black levels easy. Manually doing it by eye is definitely hit or miss.
Has anyone used the "Picture Wizard II (Easy Picture Calibration)" that is supposed to be built into this tv? Good results?

I tried it, everything came out really dark, so I obviously don't know what I'm doing lol

Quote:

Google to the rescue! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPS_panel

Thanks...but that page might as well be in another language

Quote:

Pretty please.....

The screen itself is roughly 41x23 inches. I understand with making sure the wife stays happy.
post #43 of 355 Old 12-05-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post

Just got my 47LS4500 on Saturday. Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on setting it up, etc.
Mine is being fed HDMI from a HTPC running an AMD Radeon 5670 and a Ceton InfiniTV 4 tuner card, with an M-CARD from Comcast.
The initial settings on the TV were awful, but isn't that generally true? The Color Temp was cranked to the Max Cool Color Temp (C50), so that went to '0' immediately. Next was turning off or adjusting a few things under Advanced Control. Dynamic Contrast and Dynamic Color turned OFF. Noise Reduction to LOW, Gamma to MEDIUM (HIGH tends to crush the blacks; LOW is a viable option, depending on a few other things), Black Level to LOW or the pic is seriously washed out, Color Gamut to WIDE, and Edge Enhancer to OFF (ON was just too much; e.g., my PC's wallpaper developed a pixel or two-wide stripe on the vertical edges; YMMV with actual video).
Turned OFF Energy Saving.
Picture Mode to STANDARD, then tweaked the basics (i.e., non-Advanced Control options).
I won't post Backlight, Contrast, Brightness, Color, etc., as those settings are pretty particular to one's environment.
A couple of geeky things that may be of interest to some:
2. Back to the 47LS4500... I just discovered that changing an Input's "Label" under Options affects how the TV deals with said Input. For example, when I change my HDMI 1 from blank to PC, the picture settings immediately change, and the options are severely limited. Under Aspect Ratio, only 16:9 and 4:3 are available (no Just Scan), and under Advanced Control, only Gamma and Black Level are available. I switched the Input Label back to blank, and it automatically went back to my previous tweaked Standard settings, so that's a nice feature, though nothing new.
As noted in another thread there is no way to adjust or disable TruMotion. It seems to be Always-On. And as I noted there, the owner cannot access the "Product/Service Info" screen or any "Support" info in general. So if you want to update the software, you'll just have to try the latest to see if you need it or not. Might be worth noting the current version somewhere (note on a PC, a sticky on the back of the TV, wherever).
Anyway, those are my initial thoughts and impressions. Watching the Skins eek out the win over the Giants Monday night sure looked good, esp. after adjusting the color output from the HTPC biggrin.gif
HTH someone down the line.
Cheers.

THANKS!!

Although much of your post went over my head. Your changes you suggested early on helped tremendously. I know you said the other settings are particular to one's environment, but I wouldn't mind trying them out if you wouldn't mind sharing.
post #44 of 355 Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280 View Post

The screen itself is roughly 41x23 inches. I understand with making sure the wife stays happy.

Thanks alot.....Something tells me she will still want the 51" Samsung but the 1080p is a plus with this 47".

Has anyone played any PS3/360 game on this set yet? How was the pic on COD or other games.
post #45 of 355 Old 12-05-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks alot.....Something tells me she will still want the 51" Samsung but the 1080p is a plus with this 47".
Has anyone played any PS3/360 game on this set yet? How was the pic on COD or other games.

I have a PS3 but haven't tried to play anything on it yet. That is the biggest downside to this TV, only 2 HDMI spots, I have my cable box and bluray connected so in order to play the PS3 I would have to swap out the bluray. Not a huge deal but still...
post #46 of 355 Old 12-06-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:

I tried it, everything came out really dark, so I obviously don't know what I'm doing lol

This might have to do with the energy saving feature. Have you tried turning it off?
post #47 of 355 Old 12-06-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:

I know the dimensions of the TV. The wife is concerned with the screen dimensions. She is worried about losing actual viewing real estate. She wants me to get the screen measurements and make like some cardboard cutout and compare it to the screen on our current 50" that we want to replace.
We are overseas and 47" is the largest we can order so she doesn't want to order a TV that we can't return if the size difference will be a big issue. Gotta keep the wife happy.

Ohh ok. I will get them to you tonite when I get home.

EDIT: Nevermind, I seen someone got you the dimensions already
post #48 of 355 Old 12-06-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:

I have played Black Ops 2 and it looks great on this TV.

Much sharper and a bit more clearer than my Samsung LCD.
post #49 of 355 Old 12-06-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimp View Post

I have played Black Ops 2 and it looks great on this TV.
Much sharper and a bit more clearer than my Samsung LCD.

Thanks a bunch. You guys are a big help.

The wife says she's OK with the size difference, but that's until it hangs on the wall. I think I will just adjust the seating to be a little closer and everything will be fine.
post #50 of 355 Old 12-06-2012, 07:48 PM

Anyone have a chance to look the the pixels up close to see if this is an IPS display?
post #51 of 355 Old 12-06-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:

This might have to do with the energy saving feature. Have you tried turning it off?

Its off now...but that is because I turned it off after others have suggested. I may give it a try again
post #52 of 355 Old 12-06-2012, 10:31 PM

I've also tried up update the firmware from the LG Website. I followed all the directions like making a folder called LG_DTV and then placing the firmware update inside it. The USB stick reads but only comes up with the option to play music or display photos. I sent an e-mail to LG about this issue yesterday, still haven't had a response. It's funny that LG claims this TV is 120 Hz, yet I can tell that there is no "Soap Opera" effect on it while playing blu-rays.
post #53 of 355 Old 12-07-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg606 View Post

no, i really don't care if it does or not. i'm just really pleased by the picture and sound. so much better than my 6 year old dlp

Would someone who has this tv mind looking at the pixel structure up close, or better yet just take a picture of the tv on up close and post so we can see if this is indeed an IPS panel? How is the viewing angle? Does the picture wash out any when you view it from the side?
post #54 of 355 Old 12-08-2012, 01:13 PM

2012-12-08_14-28-31_193.jpg 1895k .jpg file 2012-12-08_14-37-30_388.jpg 1489k .jpg file

I tried to take a camera phone picture of the best buy display.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-12-08_14-28-31_193.jpg (1.85 MB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-12-08_14-37-30_388.jpg (1.45 MB, 12 views)
post #55 of 355 Old 12-08-2012, 01:21 PM

Can anyone tell if this looks like an IPS display? Taken with my camera phone of a display model 47LS4500 at Best Buy.
post #56 of 355 Old 12-08-2012, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the pics gqmd, definitely looks like an IPS to me. The pixels look cheveron shaped ">" like the S-IPS pixels from the following link: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/panel_technologies_content.htm
post #57 of 355 Old 12-09-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azonarge View Post

I've also tried up update the firmware from the LG Website. I followed all the directions like making a folder called LG_DTV and then placing the firmware update inside it. The USB stick reads but only comes up with the option to play music or display photos. I sent an e-mail to LG about this issue yesterday, still haven't had a response. It's funny that LG claims this TV is 120 Hz, yet I can tell that there is no "Soap Opera" effect on it while playing blu-rays.

Did you unzip the file you downloaded? Try that and save unzipped file to the usb and it shows up once you restart the tv. Let us know if the update was successful because even after the update completes the tv shows the same firmware as before.
post #58 of 355 Old 12-09-2012, 06:01 PM

I just received this tv. Updated the firmware and it seemed to take, although i'm not sure how to check firmware version. When i reinsert the usb stick, it no longer sees a firmware update like it did the first time, so i assume the firmware took. I have not noticed anything new with the update. Still no Trumotion 120Hz toggle, and still no soap opera effect.
post #59 of 355 Old 12-09-2012, 11:27 PM

Hmmm...doesn't sound like the firmware update is worth it then..
post #60 of 355 Old 12-10-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:

Hmmm...doesn't sound like the firmware update is worth it then..

I don't see any reason not too, there may be bugs fixed that aren't readily apparent. It's a quick operation to update. I have sent LG an email asking why an advertised feature is not actually included in the product (120Hz TruMotion) and asked if there is a forthcoming firmware update to address this issue. I urge everyone else with this TV to do the same so we can get what we were promised. I also sent them a link to the LM series thread (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408659/lg-trumotion-missing-specific-to-42lm-47lm-55lm-series-excludes-lm7600-and-newer) to show that this is a common problem with LG tv's so they don't feed me a line of bs about it being there and "always on" when it's apparent that it is not present.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 55 Inch Led Lcd Tv 55ls4500 , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page