Official LG 47LS4500/55LS4500 Owners' Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 355 Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I still dont see how to get the firmware to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 355 Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimp View Post

I still dont see how to get the firmware to work.

Download the file from the LG website, unzip the contents, rename the folder to LG_DTV with the .bin file inside, copy the folder to a standard formatted usb drive, plug the usb drive in the usb port with the tv on. If the firmware on the usb drive is newer than the one on the tv, then a prompt will pop up with "New Firmware Found" or something like that, and you can proceed with the update. Otherwise, pluggin in the usb drive will bring up the view pictures or play videos option.
post #63 of 355 Old 12-10-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani23 View Post

Did you unzip the file you downloaded? Try that and save unzipped file to the usb and it shows up once you restart the tv. Let us know if the update was successful because even after the update completes the tv shows the same firmware as before.

Yes, I did all of those steps including unzipping the file to the USB. I took a look at the back of the TV today and it was manufactured in November, considering that the update on the LG website came out in October perhaps my TV already has the update. I also looked at the contents of the update and it only updates something called "Simplink". I hope one day we'll be able to toggle the Trumotion feature. Maybe it's an oversight problem like the lm series had.
post #64 of 355 Old 12-10-2012, 05:16 PM

I take it that folder is the only thing that can be on the drive?
post #65 of 355 Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 AM

Can anyone tell me if this TV features Audio Return Channel (ARC)?
Is that a standard feature now? or something that I should look for when I compare TVs?
post #66 of 355 Old 12-11-2012, 05:20 PM

Just bought this TV as of November 24, received it in the mail the 30. Worked amazing (for a few days) until hundreds of tiny gray horizontal lines littered the screen from top to bottom on all inputs. No clue why just popped up while watching it one day. Working on getting a replacement from the site I bought it from as we speak.

Regardless... getting on point, the TV is/was great except for the fact that I specifically bought it for that "soap opera" effect so I could have less blur while playing games since I was coming from a 60hz. Unfortunately, the TV didn't perform as highly as I would have hoped as far as blurring went. First person shooters still very playable just as they would be on a 60hz TV, but when you spin around and run it is still not as constantly crisp as I would have hoped, not any better than my 32" samsung 720p 60hz from 4 years ago. Maybe my expectations were too high for what is MSRP's at $899.99 or maybe I didn't play around with all the setting combinations enough?

I too found no option or toggle for TruMotion... but looking back on previous issues with the LM series here (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408659/lg-trumotion-missing-specific-to-42lm-47lm-55lm-series-excludes-lm7600-and-newer/180) as pointed out earlier, I'm hoping that there is some sort of fix. If not, then at 120hz with TruMotion, I am not super impressed.

When I get my TV back in a few days, I will be here looking for assistance and helping you all out with my experiences with this TV. Until then, what gives with the lack of TruMotion Toggle?
post #67 of 355 Old 12-11-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRRiT8 View Post

Just bought this TV as of November 24, received it in the mail the 30. Worked amazing (for a few days) until hundreds of tiny gray horizontal lines littered the screen from top to bottom on all inputs. No clue why just popped up while watching it one day. Working on getting a replacement from the site I bought it from as we speak.
Regardless... getting on point, the TV is/was great except for the fact that I specifically bought it for that "soap opera" effect so I could have less blur while playing games since I was coming from a 60hz. Unfortunately, the TV didn't perform as highly as I would have hoped as far as blurring went. First person shooters still very playable just as they would be on a 60hz TV, but when you spin around and run it is still not as constantly crisp as I would have hoped, not any better than my 32" samsung 720p 60hz from 4 years ago. Maybe my expectations were too high for what is MSRP's at $899.99 or maybe I didn't play around with all the setting combinations enough?
I too found no option or toggle for TruMotion... but looking back on previous issues with the LM series here (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408659/lg-trumotion-missing-specific-to-42lm-47lm-55lm-series-excludes-lm7600-and-newer/180) as pointed out earlier, I'm hoping that there is some sort of fix. If not, then at 120hz with TruMotion, I am not super impressed.
When I get my TV back in a few days, I will be here looking for assistance and helping you all out with my experiences with this TV. Until then, what gives with the lack of TruMotion Toggle?

I agree, very disappointing this tv did not come with a feature that was advertised. There is no way TruMotion is currently active, and no way to activate it. I still urge everyone to call or chat with LG tech support to complain about this issue so they hopefully issue a firmware update that will add the TruMotion. I tried the email route and never received a response, so i will be trying the chat option tomorrow.
post #68 of 355 Old 12-11-2012, 06:20 PM

Just tried chatting with someone from LG named Ana. I asked her about the TruMotion setting on this TV and said I cannot find a setting for it. She said, "by default, TruMotion is enabled for your model and cannot be altered"

mad.gif
post #69 of 355 Old 12-11-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRRiT8 View Post

Just tried chatting with someone from LG named Ana. I asked her about the TruMotion setting on this TV and said I cannot find a setting for it. She said, "by default, TruMotion is enabled for your model and cannot be altered"
mad.gif

That's what I've been hearing from other customers as well. But for sure Trumotion is NOT enabled, I have another LG 120 hz set and the Soap opera effect is very apparent. Also given that LG has messed up in the past (lm series) with this same exact problem I would not be surprised if a firmware update were to be released later. The notion that the Trumotion is "on" by default is not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimp View Post

I take it that folder is the only thing that can be on the drive?

At the time I had one other file on the drive, I don't know if it made a difference at all. What I'm leaning toward is that if the TV needs an update then it will find the file on the drive. If the TV does not need the update, it will by default run the music/picture mode.
post #70 of 355 Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 AM

I've had the TV for around 2 weeks now, and it seems the the TruMotion settings change depending on the source. If the cable is on, it's nearly nonexistent, but when I watch a Blu-ray it's seems to be on maximum settings. The "Soap-Opera" effect while watching a movie is unbearable at that level.

After discussing it with LG, they say the TV adjusts the levels itself. I'm not sure how it knows what settings are best but I guess it's irrelevant. I'm returning the TV tomorrow.
post #71 of 355 Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorJon View Post

Can anyone tell me if this TV features Audio Return Channel (ARC)?
Is that a standard feature now? or something that I should look for when I compare TVs?

Nope, I tried to check on all the ports and it does not seem to have an ARC channel via HDMI. Usually, like on my sony, its labeled ARC on the specific HDMI terminal.
post #72 of 355 Old 12-12-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Owen View Post

I've had the TV for around 2 weeks now, and it seems the the TruMotion settings change depending on the source. If the cable is on, it's nearly nonexistent, but when I watch a Blu-ray it's seems to be on maximum settings. The "Soap-Opera" effect while watching a movie is unbearable at that level.
After discussing it with LG, they say the TV adjusts the levels itself. I'm not sure how it knows what settings are best but I guess it's irrelevant. I'm returning the TV tomorrow.

@Jordan Owen, could you reference the blu-ray that you used which showed the Soap Opera Effect? Did your blu ray player detect a 24p signal?

Thanks
post #73 of 355 Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 AM

I've had this tv now for a week and so far really like it. One concern I have is how much light bleeding I'm getting on black screens. I know its common for edge LEDs to have some of this in the corners, but this seems almost little excessive and it worries me that there are some spots in the middle bottom and middle right part of the screen. Anyone else having this problem or am I just the unlucky one?

Thanks,

post #74 of 355 Old 12-12-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartmm90 View Post

I've had this tv now for a week and so far really like it. One concern I have is how much light bleeding I'm getting on black screens. I know its common for edge LEDs to have some of this in the corners, but this seems almost little excessive and it worries me that there are some spots in the middle bottom and middle right part of the screen. Anyone else having this problem or am I just the unlucky one?
Thanks,

My light bleed was pretty bad like that too, but the tv comes with the backlight at 100%. I turned my backlight down to about 50% and it's pretty manageable now and still plenty bright.
post #75 of 355 Old 12-12-2012, 06:54 AM

Thanks Munkee Boy. Yeah when I took this picture the backlight was actually at 70, still sort of high but definitely not the 100 they have it set at out of the box. Does that still seem to high for at 70% backlight?
post #76 of 355 Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 AM

I turned the backlight down to 50 and this is what it looks like now. A little better but I feel like its still pretty bad for being only 50%... I don't know though maybe I'm just crazy though.

post #77 of 355 Old 12-12-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani23 View Post

@Jordan Owen, could you reference the blu-ray that you used which showed the Soap Opera Effect? Did your blu ray player detect a 24p signal?
Thanks

I've Tried several movies, but the most apparent was "The Road to Perdition" Although as a film major it may be I noticed the effect more here because of the time I spent studying the film before this viewing. I'm not sure how to tell if my blu-ray player detected a 24p signal, so I can't really answer that question.

Hope that helped.
post #78 of 355 Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azonarge View Post

That's what I've been hearing from other customers as well. But for sure Trumotion is NOT enabled, I have another LG 120 hz set and the Soap opera effect is very apparent. Also given that LG has messed up in the past (lm series) with this same exact problem I would not be surprised if a firmware update were to be released later. The notion that the Trumotion is "on" by default is not true.
At the time I had one other file on the drive, I don't know if it made a difference at all. What I'm leaning toward is that if the TV needs an update then it will find the file on the drive. If the TV does not need the update, it will by default run the music/picture mode.

Thank u sir!

Apparently, mine does not need an update because it will not find the bin file I put in the folder.
post #79 of 355 Old 12-13-2012, 08:13 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee Boy View Post

Download the file from the LG website, unzip the contents, rename the folder to LG_DTV with the .bin file inside, copy the folder to a standard formatted usb drive, plug the usb drive in the usb port with the tv on. If the firmware on the usb drive is newer than the one on the tv, then a prompt will pop up with "New Firmware Found" or something like that, and you can proceed with the update. Otherwise, pluggin in the usb drive will bring up the view pictures or play videos option.

How long did the software update take? I did this and clicked "ok" for it to update and the screen went off but I don't see if its done or not?? No progress bar or anything
post #80 of 355 Old 12-13-2012, 08:29 PM

This is what pops up when I insert the usb...

I select "start" and the menu just disappears. I waited a few mins, took the usb out then put it back in and this screen pops up again so it obviously didn't do the update?
post #81 of 355 Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 PM

Hahaha...nevermind. I just realized I was selecting cancel. Not start...I'm an idiot lol
post #82 of 355 Old 12-14-2012, 05:49 PM

I put it in my TV and that menu does not come up, so that must mean I dont need an update yet.
post #83 of 355 Old 12-15-2012, 01:46 AM

After the software updated I took the usb out then reinserted it....when I did that the only thing that popped up was the option to select music or pictures.
post #84 of 355 Old 12-18-2012, 02:26 PM

After spending a week with this tv, I am pretty happy with it. After making some tweaks in the settings menu, and running it through my Disney WOW calibration disk, the picture looks great. Black levels aren't super dark, but are definitely serviceable. Colors are great as well. The only disappointment is the lack of a TruMotion toggle and no "soap opera effect." Hopefully LG pulls their head out of their a$$ and updates the firmware to add this advertised feature that does not exist. All in all, i will be keeping it.
post #85 of 355 Old 12-22-2012, 04:07 PM

Anyone having any issues with optical out ? 47LS4500

Pioneer AVR - HDMI to TV only

STB and DVD work fine connected to AVR with audio even with ARC turned off, do not understand this (no optical return connected)

Turn off internal speakers of the LG and try routing through optical out but no audio in AVR with STB and DVD

Cannot get my ROKU to work audio wise in any fashion

Do I have a bad Optical Cable ? Its producing light at both ends and the TV recognizes when its plugged in, Bad TV optical out ??

thanks!
post #86 of 355 Old 12-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

So what's the consensus? Good, bad or just OK? Wondering if this is a late contender on the market - I'm not seeing many reviews/etc... for these (55LS4500). It's on a sale for $850 here locally and I'm considering purchasing since the price/size is a good fit. Wondering about the TruMotion - will this tv perfom well with PS3/Gaming? Thanks anyone for some insight!

---------------------------------------
post #87 of 355 Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 PM

The TV is ok the PQ is really average for movies but i watch a lot of anime and for that it looks great and for the games i play it doesn't bother me either. The black levels are atrocious i think the CNET review of the LS4600 is spot on for the LS4500, I got mine for $698 on a frys deal and i think i'll keep it for a little while until i find something bigger and better. If you find the 55inch for less then $650 go for it if not buy something else. Oh my brother own an 47LE8500 and it just makes my TV look like crap lol i know i know top end vs bottom pic but the blacks on that set is just stunning
post #88 of 355 Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 PM

I'm looking at buying this for my mother for her birthday. The 47" 47LS4500. I'm a bit confused though, as to the actual diagonal screen size. Every spec sheet I can find, states that the diagonal is 44 9/10. That doesn't seem right for a 47", and when I check all the other LG models, no matter what screen size they list, the actual diagonal is only SLIGHTLY less than the advertised size. For example, the 47LM4600, states a diagonal of 46 9/10. Am I missing something here?
post #89 of 355 Old 01-01-2013, 09:37 AM

The TV is great for the price, but definitely needs tweaks on the settings in order to achieve the best picture it can produce.

This is definitely an upgrade from my old Sammy 52" LCD LN52A650
post #90 of 355 Old 01-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies. We boutght the 55" today. Haven't messed with it much at all though, but the little of it I saw while it was powered on, I didn't see any flashlighting etc... in the corners/wherever. I can tell it def. needs adjusting ootb. This will be a gaming tv during most of its expected life, the price, size and no special features ("smart") were all a +. No other tv available locally could compare - we'd either pay an extra few hundred for another name brand with smart features etc... , but just don't need.

---------------------------------------
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 55 Inch Led Lcd Tv 55ls4500 , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page