post #91 of 355 Old 01-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xukuth View Post

I'm looking at buying this for my mother for her birthday. The 47" 47LS4500. I'm a bit confused though, as to the actual diagonal screen size. Every spec sheet I can find, states that the diagonal is 44 9/10. That doesn't seem right for a 47", and when I check all the other LG models, no matter what screen size they list, the actual diagonal is only SLIGHTLY less than the advertised size. For example, the 47LM4600, states a diagonal of 46 9/10. Am I missing something here?

I think some measurements include the bezel. Most bezels are at least an 1" thick when included in measuring diagonal, so that may account for the extra couple of inches. Though, I'm not seeing the specs you are referencing for the 47LS4500. LG's website shows it as 46.9" (link) Could be - the screen size is actually 47", but when the bezel is applied, the VIEWABLE screen measurments become 44.9". So, it's a little misleading to advertise a 47" tv that has a viewable screen of 44.9". Just the nature of the marketing of these tv's I guess. Go to the store with a tape and measure the actual viewable screen diagonal yourself to confirm.

---------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 355 Old 01-01-2013, 06:20 PM

Well the reason I went with a 47" is because BestBuy would deliver it AND remove the old beast. (36" Toshiba CRT that has to weigh a ton. I can't budge it!) BB will only deliver 46" and over. Went there and measured it. Sure enough, viewable screen is not quite 45". So 44 9/10 is correct. Asked if they would deliver and got the old "Im so sorry, we only deliver 46" and up" When I showed them their ad, and asked why it was listed under 47", here's what I got...."It's a 47" CLASS TV." Translation: There are no 45" LCD/LED's so it's rounded up. Argued, but was simply smiled at given the old "We're so sorry, but..." Went home, saw Lite's response, printed out LG's spec sheet and took it back up to BB. Apologies, but no delivery. However they WILL come and pick up the old TV for $100.00. Then I can buy the LG and take it with me. rolleyes.gif
post #93 of 355 Old 01-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry to hear your trouble. BB is not what it use to be, neither is Sears. It's a joke for them to refuse to ship the tv, or not be more clear in their requirements. I wouldn't pay them $100 just to remove your tv. Maybe you can find a couple teenagers to help remove it from your house for 1/2 that!

post #94 of 355 Old 01-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

So what's up with the 120Hz TruMotion? Seems like [some] people are saying that it is NOT enabled on these tv's? That'd make it a 60Hz tv. I've seen posts on LG's website, people asking when they are going to release a firmware update to make available the menu option to turn TruMotion ON/OFF - but none of the LG represenatives have replied.

post #95 of 355 Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 PM

shop elsewhere
post #96 of 355 Old 01-02-2013, 01:02 PM

That was one of the biggest reasons why I purchased this tv bc I didn't wanna pay extra for the smart features I knew I was not going to use. The one feature I needed was the simplink feature and I was happy that was on there unlike the samsung tv that was the best buy black Friday special.
post #97 of 355 Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 PM

Hey everybody,

I picked up this TV today and needless to say I've been doing a lot of tweaking all day. So far my first impressions of this TV aren't that great. I have tried a number of settings suggested on this post and while the colors and white/black levels are nice, I am getting a weird flicker around the edges of the screen whenever I watch a non HD channel. I have tried turning the Edge Enhancer off and back on and it doesn't seem to make any difference. On top of that, the screen does not fit any non HD channels to screen size. So far the only adjustment I have found is to use cinema zoom and while that is better, it still stinks. I have to manually adjust this setting with every channel. As well when it's in full zoom (needed for some channels) I can't use the digicable menu to change channels because it's zoomed in so far. When I buy a 47" TV, I expect to watch a 47" image. Not a 40" or a 47" that is off center. It's almost as if this TV is built entirely for HD channels. Either that or I am completely missing something lol.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can fix the edge issue or how to either have the TV automatically adjust the screen to fit or manually adjust vertical/horizontal levels. So far I'm on the fence and considering bringing this TV back because of these 2 issues. I won't even bring up the fake 120 Hz issue lol.

Thanks.
post #98 of 355 Old 01-02-2013, 04:32 PM

Just thought of something else I forgot to post the first time. This forum really needs an edit post button lol.

Is there any way to tell if you have the latest firmware update other than plugging in the USB with the bin file? The reason I ask is I'm always getting the pic/music pop up but my menu is slightly different than what's being posted here. I have the ability to turn off Dynamic Contrast but Dynamic Color is nowhere to be found on my TV.
post #99 of 355 Old 01-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure about the 120Hz being "fake" - pretty sure it's a 120Hz picture after messing with the tv all morning.
Your Standard def channels will look like crap, even with 120Hz, on any tv.
Stretching SD channels to fit your screen would make them even worse.

1080i (free OTA) and 1080p (PS3) look and act like 120Hz. I think this tv is Great for the money.

Edit: The edit button is on the left/bottom of your post. There may be a time limit.

post #100 of 355 Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post

Not sure about the 120Hz being "fake" - pretty sure it's a 120Hz picture after messing with the tv all morning.
Your Standard def channels will look like crap, even with 120Hz, on any tv.
Stretching SD channels to fit your screen would make them even worse.
1080i (free OTA) and 1080p (PS3) look and act like 120Hz. I think this tv is Great for the money.
Edit: The edit button is on the left/bottom of your post. There may be a time limit.

Thank you for the heads up on the edit.

I know stretching an SD channel to screen size will make the image quality drop. The question is why can't I do it? Almost every TV including my dad's 55" LG stretches SD channels either automatically or through a video setting. Sure they don't look anything like the HD channels and sometimes they are a bit disproportionate, but the TV does do it unlike the 47LS4500 (at least to my knowledge). Like I said in my previous post, if I buy a 47" TV, I want the image to be 47". Not 40" and I don't want to have to change the zoom every time I change channels. Sadly this may be the reason I bring this TV back. I'm going to give it a couple of days to see if there is a solution.

From what I'm seeing it is a fake 120 Hz. Or at least one of the worst 120 Hz on the market. There is a lot of motion blur and no soap opera effect. My dad recently bought a 55" LG 120 Hz and there is no noticeable motion blur and the soap opera effect is very noticeable. Even my 60Hz Viewsonic had much less blur. That being said the blur and lack of soap opera effect is not a reason for me to bring the TV back personally. It's just annoying considering I paid extra to have a bigger TV with less blur and only got one of the two.
post #101 of 355 Old 01-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Try pushing the "Ratio" button on the remote control to adjust the picture size. I'm not seeing any "blur". Check your Source - what are you watching? Maybe you're watching 720i/p and you interpert it as blurry. Have you ran the Wizard yet? To keep the tv bright, to prevent it from automatically changing the brightness up/down, turn OFF the Energy Saving feature, or ensure it's off after running the Wizard. And I think all tv's are measured the same way.

post #102 of 355 Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 PM

I have tried almost all of the suggestions/calibration settings on this thread and more including the wizard. It was great for setting a base but needed a lot of tweaking. The output source I'm comparing is PS3 (Borderlands2). The blur persists. Granted I'm probably blowing it out of proportion comparing it to other LG models that are much better with the same refresh. The TV is still nice and is 10x better than my last LCD at 60Hz. My big issue is the stretch.

I have gone through all of the TV ratios for each of the output settings from the cable box (SD, SD Wide, 720p, 1080i). On each setting, I looked at a HD channel and SD channel. For all possible combinations, the HD looked perfect and the SD was showing almost a half a foot of black on the sides. I contacted LG and they said it was the cable box output. Funny, I've had multiple TVs hooked up to that box and none of them have had issues filling the screen on SD channels with one click of the remote. My TV is lacking the full screen option you normally get on other TVs. Is anyone else able to watch SD channels in full screen?
post #103 of 355 Old 01-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Some channels probably aren't capable of stretching entirely due to the signal perhaps? Your cable box - I've read issues with cable boxes in the past. Don't have one so I cannot say - but if it's Cable, your most likely only recieving a 720 signal. If that's the case, maybe buying a 720 television is the way to go since you'd be pairing your tv and cable adequately. For the PS3, GTA4 shows fine, no bluring on my set. Are you hooked up with HDMI to the tv from the PS3?

post #104 of 355 Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 AM

Ok so here's the kicker. I spoke with an LG agent again and this time I got somebody who knew what they were talking about. I explained my issue and that I had been talking to an agent yesterday who wanted me to change the output ratio from my cable box. I tried all settings with no luck. I explained that I had other 720p and 1080p TVs hooked up to that box and they all stretch with the push of a button. Usually setting the TV to a mode called "Full Screen". He said there is no need to change the aspect ratio that is output from my cable box, the issue is the TV itself. There is no full screen mode like there are on other models. Looks like I will be returning this TV ASAP. Anybody have any suggestions for a replacement? Here are my requirements:

42-47" 1080p
120 Hz
At least 2 HDMI inputs
The ability to stretch a SD signal to full screen
USB input that has the ability to play videos. Another let down on this LG unit.

Thanks.
post #105 of 355 Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 PM

Eureka. I finally figured out how to make the TV stretch SD signals to fit the screen. It's a terrible work around and the picture quality is horrible, but it works. I had to force the TV (no options on the TV to change manually) to accept a SD signal by going through AV cables. The distortion is minimal but the quality is terrible. Whenever a solid line moves on the screen, the pixelation all around the area moves as well just like watching a low quality movie on your computer. As well the TV will not allow you to have a HDMI cable and AV cables plugged into the same device at the same time. The HDMI overrides the AV signal. Hope this help if anybody is having the same problem.
post #106 of 355 Old 01-03-2013, 11:27 PM

Liked: 11
hmm, it seem that some prefer the soap opera effect of the motion control (de-judder). i say the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. soe can be a positive or negative experience. i, too just bought an lg55ls4500 recently. i was glad to find that the "film" mode (advance>>film) is an option for this model. however, this is only available when i'm watching cable. unfortunately, this is not an option with dvd movies. i would like to to be able to watch movies on film mode (1080p/24hz). though i noticed that my bluray player is able to output this (when i check the audio with my bluray player's remote, it shows ontv screen: 1080p/24hz, dts-hd master). this is a little confusing since the lg tv "film" option is grayed out. at any rate, here's some info from a c/net article on the soap opera effect (http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6792632-1.html). thanks.

--Anti-judder can have a major impact on picture quality. The smoother is designed to eliminate judder in film-based content, which is most noticeable in scenes that incorporate slow camera pans or in scenes shot with a handheld camera. We mainly looked at the effects of engaging the Sony's anti-judder, which has two settings: standard and high. Even at the lower setting (standard), the difference in the picture was immediately apparent. The image just looks more stable. Kick it up to high and everything becomes rock solid--it's night and day. However, the high setting tends to introduce artifacts into the picture. These look like a little tear or glitch in the picture. They appear for just a fraction of second, but they are noticeable. It's worth noting that the picture on the standard setting sometimes looks unnatural, too, particularly when the anti-judder suddenly kicks in during a fast pan and stabilizes objects moving across the screen.

-- Eliminating judder is not for everyone. Judder is part of what makes film look like film, so when you remove it, it starts to look like video. Now, some folks like the look of video and contend that it looks more true-to-life. Both Matthew Moskovciak and I are judder-free fans. On the other hand, David Katzmaier likes the effect only in certain scenes--he generally prefers to leave it turned off during Hollywood films and turned on for some other film-based content, such as the nature documentary Planet Earth--because, in some instances, it can really alter a scene, or at least take away from what the director intended the scene to look like. This is called "director's intent," and movie purists would argue that anti-judder tarnishes the viewing experience much in the same way that performance-enhancing drugs might change the outcome of a sporting event. OK, maybe that's a stretch, but I couldn't help myself.

-- If you're a fan of anti-judder, it's hard to live without. Moscovciak says he now has a hard time watching movies with judder; he finds it excruciatingly irritating. I personally don't feel quite that strongly, but I kept asking Katzmaier to crank the Sony's Motion Flow setting to "high." I was willing to live with the artifacts in exchange for that rock-solid image. (Katzmaier strongly disagrees.) I'm quickly becoming an anti-judder junkie.
danbfree likes this.
post #107 of 355 Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimp View Post

Took some shots of my settings last night.
Hope this helps.

hmm, i wonder if "motion eye care" is another name for tru-motion. i can engage it when i'm on "sport mode". thanks.
post #108 of 355 Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 PM

I just bought this TV yesterday. I had the 47", but it was too small.

The panel is most definitely IPS, as confirmed by the >>> pixels, and no soap opera effect (bonus).

One point of concern though is the amount of light bleed in the bottom two corners. I know there is bound to be some flash lighting with edge lit panels, but this seemed excessive to me. I'm going to post a picture tonight, and it would be great if others could let me know how it looks compared to their panels.

I want so badly to keep the TV, but I just need to know if the amount of light bleed I am experiencing is normal or not. Hauling a 55 inch TV back and forth is a pain in the...
post #109 of 355 Old 01-07-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keanman View Post

From what I'm seeing it is a fake 120 Hz. Or at least one of the worst 120 Hz on the market. There is a lot of motion blur and no soap opera effect. My dad recently bought a 55" LG 120 Hz and there is no noticeable motion blur and the soap opera effect is very noticeable. Even my 60Hz Viewsonic had much less blur. That being said the blur and lack of soap opera effect is not a reason for me to bring the TV back personally. It's just annoying considering I paid extra to have a bigger TV with less blur and only got one of the two.

I believe that you are confusing TruMotion and 120hz. TruMotion is a tool used to deal with judder, etc and minimize pixilation on high speed pans and scenes. A 120H TV will not automatically have the "soap opera" effect. This usually does not occur unless you have something turned on like TruMotion for LG, or Clear Motion.

As far as your "noise" on SD, that is exactly that. You are seeing Noise from the signal due to under-scan of the picture. I see that on my Vizio, and had to adjust the input to force a small overscan.
danbfree likes this.

JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
post #110 of 355 Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xukuth View Post

Well the reason I went with a 47" is because BestBuy would deliver it AND remove the old beast. (36" Toshiba CRT that has to weigh a ton. I can't budge it!) BB will only deliver 46" and over.

Best Buy's corporate policy on delivery and pickup of an existing TV is 40", not 46". Read here:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Topics/Home-and-Business-Delivery/pcmcat204400050032.c?id=pcmcat204400050032
post #111 of 355 Old 01-09-2013, 12:49 AM

I'm pretty happy with the TV to date. Eventually this will just be a bedroom TV so if its not 100% perfect I think it is worth it for the price.

Still looking for more people to post their settings...
post #112 of 355 Old 01-09-2013, 11:39 AM

Ive actually changed my settings since I posted those pictures.

I can post mine up again.
post #113 of 355 Old 01-09-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimp View Post

Ive actually changed my settings since I posted those pictures.
I can post mine up again.

That would be great, thanks!

JD

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
post #114 of 355 Old 01-09-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't found any comprehensive reviews of the LS4500 series, but did find one of the lesser LS3400 series which was pretty positive.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/LG-42LS3400-LED-HDTV-Review.htm

One would hope that most of this would apply to the 4500-series.
post #115 of 355 Old 01-09-2013, 10:33 PM

have had the LG 47LM7600 since 12-23-12 and we have yet to figure it out. guess its going back. i am going to try 1 more thing and exchange out the cable box from 1 of the tvs in another room. i have called time-warner, i have contacted LG twice and i am just not satisfied. its hard to explain what its doing, picture looks artificial almost 3D like or as if someone is filming a play. when someone moves their hands or turn their heads or turns around you can see it following them. people in forefront like just 1 person is clear until they move but everything in the back ground is so blurry. i have turned off true motion and still it does it. i just don't know what else to do, i wonder if i would have had this problem with directv. i don't think so but who knows. i guess this weekend we will go to HHGregg and find out what the problem is. i came on here last week and this person kept telling me everything i already knew or thought and he got teed off because i kept responding back but wasn't responding back only to him i was responding to others as well. just don't know what else to try, damn i'd have more luck working on my car, lol. and this magic remote! who designed this thing? constantly falling over its like a 3-legged table can't stand up. easy to navigate but i'm going to end up breaking it. if anyone is having this problem please respond to me, not about the remote but the tv. if you're gonna be arrogant about it don't bother. thanks
post #116 of 355 Old 01-10-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie View Post

have had the LG 47LM7600 since 12-23-12 and we have yet to figure it out. guess its going back. i am going to try 1 more thing and exchange out the cable box from 1 of the tvs in another room. i have called time-warner, i have contacted LG twice and i am just not satisfied. its hard to explain what its doing, picture looks artificial almost 3D like or as if someone is filming a play. when someone moves their hands or turn their heads or turns around you can see it following them. people in forefront like just 1 person is clear until they move but everything in the back ground is so blurry. i have turned off true motion and still it does it. i just don't know what else to do, i wonder if i would have had this problem with directv. i don't think so but who knows. i guess this weekend we will go to HHGregg and find out what the problem is. i came on here last week and this person kept telling me everything i already knew or thought and he got teed off because i kept responding back but wasn't responding back only to him i was responding to others as well. just don't know what else to try, damn i'd have more luck working on my car, lol. and this magic remote! who designed this thing? constantly falling over its like a 3-legged table can't stand up. easy to navigate but i'm going to end up breaking it. if anyone is having this problem please respond to me, not about the remote but the tv. if you're gonna be arrogant about it don't bother. thanks

I believe you are in the wrong thread? This is for *LS4500 owners not the *LM7600 owners
post #117 of 355 Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 AM

Looks like I am going to be returning this TV and swapping it out with the 60LM7200.

I gave it a chance and I will try to get those screenshots of my settings tonite if I dont forget like I did last night.
post #118 of 355 Old 01-10-2013, 01:36 PM

Does anybody know if you can watch movies off of a usb disk?
I plugged one into my parents tv and it only had pictures/music options.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
post #119 of 355 Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 PM

My disney WOW blu ray should be here tomorrow. I will post up settings if I can get through the disc lol
post #120 of 355 Old 01-11-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubakon View Post

Does anybody know if you can watch movies off of a usb disk?
I plugged one into my parents tv and it only had pictures/music options.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

I doubt that without a computer or streaming device in the middle.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 55 Inch Led Lcd Tv 55ls4500 , Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page