AVS Forum banner

Official LG 47LS4500/55LS4500 Owners' Thread

122K views 269 replies 81 participants last post by  canslimkevin 
#1 ·
I just bought this tv from walmart.com for $798. I saw it on display at sams club this morning and i thought it looked pretty good. Haven't seen many reviews of this barebones led. Is it a fairly new model or something?

#227 ·
Hi all. I joined up after reading through the help others have been providing.

I have a display issue with my 55LS4500 that I've owned since January. The display went out completely yesterday. I can hear through the TV speakers anything that is playing, but there is no picture. The menu's and input selection screens do not appear when attempting to access them through both the remote and the touch buttons on the front of the unit. I've disconnected it from power and all other devices with no change in behavior.

Any suggestions before I reach out to LG tomorrow via chat?

#228 ·
Picked up the 47" on Woot today for 4 bills. Its a refurb but I am crossing my fingers, have only bought new for TV's. Hopefully I don't get one of the lemons you folks on this thread have returned to BB!

#230 ·
I Adjust Settings With Little Or No Light In Room . I Have Roku 3 Connected To TV. HDMI 1080p Settings on Roku 3. Watching TV With Time Warner Cable APP. So Here We Go. Also I Cannot Turn On Film Mode.

LG 47LS4500

Aspect Ratio = Set By Program

Energy Saving = Off

Expert1

Backlight = 61

Contrast = 78

Brightness = 50

H Sharpness = 80

V Sharpness = 80

Color = 50

Tint = G1

Expert Control

Dynamic Contrast = Off

Noise Reduction = off

Gamma = Medium

Black Level = Auto

Color Gamut = Wide

Edge Enhancer = On

White Balance = Cool

All Colors Set At = 0

#231 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife  /t/1442157/official-lg-47ls4500-55ls4500-owners-thread/240#post_23395158

Picked up the 47" on Woot today for 4 bills. Its a refurb but I am crossing my fingers, have only bought new for TV's. Hopefully I don't get one of the lemons you folks on this thread have returned to BB!
I just hit the button on the Woot refurb, too. $379. How has yours been?

#239 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooic  /t/1442157/official-lg-47ls4500-55ls4500-owners-thread/240#post_23703086

Usually TV's have codes, a series of button inputs on the remote + TV face that allow you to enter a service menu. They hide those for a reason. Even if you somehow pried those codes from LG's hands, they probably have no reason to track how long the set has been on, in those menus. It's usually not a good idea to buy display models because they stay on all day, everyday. If the box didn't looked sealed and brand new, I wouldn't purchase it.

The TV was sold to me as new at Walmart. It had sigs that it was the display model and thas the reason i need to check the running time. It could had been a return also..

#246 ·
picked up 55LS4500 from the famous/amazing Walmart deal ($476 including tax and delivery in MA) and right after setup and playing bluray - was quite disappointed by the picture. It seemed to lack the punchiness and colors looked dull and flat. Compared to my friends Elite(PRO-60X5FD) set(and my old Kuro) its not even close(and understandable) but when it looks worse than my old LCD(not LED even) 42" TV - thats dissapointing to say the least. After playing with settings a bit and tuning to OTA HDTV (channel 7HD in Boston) my perception of this set has changed dramatically. Colors were very nice and i changed my mind about returning the set(for now at least-have 90 days to make up my mind). I am still playing with the setting(waiting for disney's WOW calibration program atm) but one thing i noticed is when you tuned to TV , press inputs button on remote, scroll over to highlight HDMI(highlight only not actually select) and wait few seconds - picture goes noticeably/drastically darker (and stays dark if you switch to either HDMI input), if you click cancel/exit (and stay on TV) picture lights up again. Anyone know whats causing this?

Also what would be the best (quality/price) calibration tool thats currently available? I need one that can calibrate PC monitors, Laptops and HDTV's(smartphones/tablets would be nice but not required). I have way too many LCD/LED/IPS/TN/OLED/AMOLED displays as well as countless more owned by my family and friends(i am a go-to computer guy for all) so i think its time to invest in decent calibration tool that can bring out the best picture all of them can produce

#247 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesok  /t/1442157/official-lg-47ls4500-55ls4500-owners-thread/270#post_23726393

picked up 55LS4500 from the famous/amazing Walmart deal ($476 including tax and delivery in MA) and right after setup and playing bluray - was quite disappointed by the picture. It seemed to lack the punchiness and colors looked dull and flat. Compared to my friends Elite(PRO-60X5FD) set(and my old Kuro) its not even close(and understandable) but when it looks worse than my old LCD(not LED even) 42" TV - thats dissapointing to say the least. After playing with settings a bit and tuning to OTA HDTV (channel 7HD in Boston) my perception of this set has changed dramatically. Colors were very nice and i changed my mind about returning the set(for now at least-have 90 days to make up my mind). I am still playing with the setting(waiting for disney's WOW calibration program atm) but one thing i noticed is when you tuned to TV , press inputs button on remote, scroll over to highlight HDMI(highlight only not actually select) and wait few seconds - picture goes noticeably/drastically darker (and stays dark if you switch to either HDMI input), if you click cancel/exit (and stay on TV) picture lights up again. Anyone know whats causing this?

Also what would be the best (quality/price) calibration tool thats currently available? I need one that can calibrate PC monitors, Laptops and HDTV's(smartphones/tablets would be nice but not required). I have way too many LCD/LED/IPS/TN/OLED/AMOLED displays as well as countless more owned by my family and friends(i am a go-to computer guy for all) so i think its time to invest in decent calibration tool that can bring out the best picture all of them can produce

I have found each input has its own settings. When I first plugged in my hdmi, I had to redo all the settings.

#248 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradox  /t/1442157/official-lg-47ls4500-55ls4500-owners-thread/270#post_23732240

I have found each input has its own settings. When I first plugged in my hdmi, I had to redo all the settings.

That makes sense. How about the surround over audio out question? I can get dolby digital 3/2 over audio out from this set (55LS4500) when watching over the air TV(antenna-->55LS4500--optical-->receiver) but not with HDMI input signal

#249 ·
ok i am done with trying to calibrate this set myself, time to admit - i suck at this. THought about hiring professional calibrator but cheapest i found nearby that will come to my house is close to $200, so thats out of the picture for me - Amazon to the rescue! Just ordered "Monster/ISF HDTV Calibration Wizard with Jenna Drey" and "Disney Wow: World of Wonder [Blu-ray] (2012)" disks. Hoping these(along with build in calibrator) will get the job done for me, if not then will try the Spyders calibration tools(around $100-150) and if all fails will break down and call the pro(but was hoping to do myself since i got a lot of screens(myself got 2 HDTV's+ 3 PC monitors + 2 laptops and tablets/smartphones, as well as all my family and friend's displays(i am a goto computer guy here))). If anyone still cares - will post results(if successful) here

#250 ·
PESOK, That would be awesome !! I have been trying to Calibrate my 55LS4500 for about a week. I still have not found any suitable setting, even after reading all the post in this form. It could be my lighting. I love watching TV in the dark but should have another setting for Day time viewing. With all the changes I have made and keep making, I am driving my wife crazy !! I just ordered my blue ray and will be here in a few days and then I will post my settings. After you use your disk PLEASE post your settings here. I'm sure my wife would be very thankful
and so would I !!

#251 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayhelloforme  /t/1442157/official-lg-47ls4500-55ls4500-owners-thread/270#post_23734629

PESOK, That would be awesome !! I have been trying to Calibrate my 55LS4500 for about a week. I still have not found any suitable setting, even after reading all the post in this form. It could be my lighting. I love watching TV in the dark but should have another setting for Day time viewing. With all the changes I have made and keep making, I am driving my wife crazy !! I just ordered my blue ray and will be here in a few days and then I will post my settings. After you use your disk PLEASE post your settings here. I'm sure my wife would be very thankful
and so would I !!
Thats exactly how i watch this set - in darkness(somehow i get into movie easier when there is nothing else to look at or can be seen - also helps with horror movies), but need one more setting for daylight. I am trying to modify "expert 1" and expert 2 settings for night/day settings(expert have more advanced settings than if you modify "sport" for example). Which BD did you order?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.